Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 20 Nov 2000, 21:34 (Ref:49210)   #1
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!

This weekend (25/26th), the BRSCC winter series comes to Brands Hatch. Featured races include:

"Formula Ford (Zetec and Kent), Saloons and GT championships, new for 2000 are the Winter Ford Saloon Challenge and the Winter Italian Challenge." (lifted from the BRSCC website)

Also present are the Mini Se7ens and Miglias.

However, in an unusual twist, I will be 'racing' a Mini Se7en - WOOHOO!

So - if you're not doing much, and you can stand the cold - why not come along and give me some encouragement. It's my first race, so I'm going to need all the help I can get!!

What have I let myself in for here?
Old 20 Nov 2000, 21:40 (Ref:49212)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
As previously promised, i'll be there - and I think Dan will be too. I hope you're not racing last thing on the Sunday as we are going to speed off to Wimbledon for the 'Best In Britain' meeting which kicks off at 6pm...

If you're practicing or qualifying on Saturday, give me a shout, and i'll pop in on my way back from MK on Saturday morning (or afternoon if it gets a bit heavy... ) Sadly Lorna can't make the weekend (we were trying to convince her to do the stockers, but she couldn't make it...) but i'm sure we can convince the rest of the gang to come along

Can't wait!
Old 20 Nov 2000, 22:00 (Ref:49215)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wahey!

Nice one, Chris!

Right, I've just found out what I'll be doing this weekend...! Gotta support a dude who's running his first race.
Old 20 Nov 2000, 22:09 (Ref:49216)   #4
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Sadly I have no idea about the schedule on Sunday - Brands have just changed their website (very pretty, but no content), and there's no information about this weekend's action.

I have my suspicions that the Minis will be towards the end of the programme, but probably not last.

I will be testing on Saturday afternoon - after all I need to learn to drive around Brands, and I need to learn about the Mini too. A steep learning curve awaits, but at least I have a team to back me up when I have no idea where to go

Incidentally the foolis... Er I mean the nice people that are lending me the Mini are the Pitstop Racing crew (Thanks Ralph!). One of my teammates for the day may be Denise Manderscheid, who has contributed to this forum, although not recently..

It should all be loads of fun - but all I can think about right now is how much of a fool I'm going to make of myself
Old 20 Nov 2000, 23:05 (Ref:49230)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Oh yes, I remember Denise... she used to submit some great race reports for the newsletter.

I'm looking forward to this now... should be great It has kinda put paid to my plans for installing the latest version of the forum software, but there we go...

If you do find out any details of the timetable, please do post them here Ta.
Old 21 Nov 2000, 09:34 (Ref:49296)   #6
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
So far we have: Maisie, Craig, Dan, TimD..

Any more takers?

Oh, yeah - could Dan bring some minstrels (preferably half-melted) for when I fall off into the gravel?
Old 21 Nov 2000, 16:48 (Ref:49346)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmmm.

Paddock Hill Bend the first time ................. hahahahahahahahaha!
Old 21 Nov 2000, 16:52 (Ref:49348)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
OK, spoke to Dan and Sparky today - they'll both be there
Old 21 Nov 2000, 20:06 (Ref:49369)   #9
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Thanks Mr. Mallett for making me even more apprehensive

Excellent - I was afraid Sparky might not be able to make it..

Anyone got any tips for driving around Brands?

I just hope it's not the full GP circuit! Dingle Dell in a Mini!
Old 21 Nov 2000, 20:17 (Ref:49373)   #10
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Y

Anyone got any tips for driving around Brands?

Be sure to turn right at the pitlane exit.
Old 21 Nov 2000, 21:56 (Ref:49383)   #11
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Hmmph - next you'll be telling me I need to slow down for the corners
Old 21 Nov 2000, 22:48 (Ref:49391)   #12
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris - I understand from people I know who are 'racing' drivers that you need to slow down for the corners. But not all of them. Apparently. I'm also told that rapid shifting down the gears will slow you down, the brake pedal is just there as back-up in case some idiot spins in front of you.

And I doubt it's on the full GP circuit. It's most likely to be on the go-kart track, er sorry I mean Indy circuit.

My number one tip would have to be mirror, manouvere, signal (usually involving just the one finger, rather than the whole hand)
Old 22 Nov 2000, 06:51 (Ref:49421)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Clearways is ................ not easy either.
Old 22 Nov 2000, 06:58 (Ref:49422)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
A couple of bits of serious advice Chris.

1 Hold your line even if someone is passing you. Its their responsibility to pass and yours not to deviate.

2 Go out there and enjoy yourself.
Old 22 Nov 2000, 19:24 (Ref:49505)   #15
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where's the safest place for us to situate ourselves? Is it, by chance, on the track at the bottom of Paddock? Shouldn't get hit from there...

Good luck bloke!! We'll be there, air horns and all...
Old 22 Nov 2000, 19:25 (Ref:49506)   #16
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Oh, I just thought: shouldn't you be asking RickP for hints at Brands Hatch, given that he's a local boy - and goes not too badly there?
Old 22 Nov 2000, 21:16 (Ref:49522)   #17
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll be there with TimD- I've never been to a winter race meeting, although the Snetterton touring car night race thingy was close!!
Old 22 Nov 2000, 21:35 (Ref:49538)   #18
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
I could have sworn that was a winter meeting. Almost as cold as last week at Snetterton!! But a whole heap wetter...

So Chris will have some good support after all; wonderful!!
Old 22 Nov 2000, 22:43 (Ref:49553)   #19
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here

Oh My God! Supporters... With airhorns..

Are you in the country this weekend Peter? Would you be able to come if you were?

Cheers for the odd bits of sensible advice I have a lot to think about, not just my lines...

I think I'll crack out some old videos of driving round Brands... Now, let's see. 'Chequered Flag' featuring action from round one at Brands.. Hmm - maybe not the best lines to follow there

PS. MiNiS!!
Old 22 Nov 2000, 23:52 (Ref:49557)   #20
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I won't be there I've already got plans with the family and it would look terribly bad if I pulled out now. Sorry Chris! I really want to be there too!
Old 23 Nov 2000, 09:54 (Ref:49613)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Wellllllllllllll,

If I can put the hardtop on the MG on Saturday I might dust it off with a trip down to Brands for lunchtime. No promises though.

Blimey. It'll be the first time I've spectated for over a year!!!
Old 23 Nov 2000, 19:57 (Ref:49666)   #22
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
It would be cool if you could come Peter.. I'll get some cans of Stella

Lorna! Really sorry you can't come Mind you, I doubt you'll miss much, what with me running around last on me own I'll have to get Craig to video all the spins..

I have a sort-of-schedule for Sunday's action (well, as far as the Minis are concerned). Qualifying is on from 10:17, and the race beings at 12:20 - so they aren't going to be next to last as I first thought.

Ralph from Pitstop has been trying to ease my fears a bit.. He reckons I should take Paddock Hill relatively gently, but I should be flat out through Clearways!
Old 23 Nov 2000, 21:39 (Ref:49675)   #23
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just two words Chris

ENJOY IT
Old 24 Nov 2000, 00:55 (Ref:49695)   #24
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hehe! I'm sure we don't need to tell him to do that. Maybe something along the lines of "Stay on the Track!" might be more appropriate
Old 26 Nov 2000, 17:38 (Ref:49983)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well Done Chris.

Why not drop into the racer's forum and tell us how it went? I've started a topic for you.