Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Oct 2012, 13:32 (Ref:3157468)   #26
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna05 View Post
What really annoys me about this place sometimes is all of the armchair historians. I've been a member for 9 years, and for at least the past 5, there's been a growing movement of people who yearn for "Group A", or "REAL" cars, or "Production" cars.

I am a huge fan of the ATCC - In any form. It attracts the best in our nation, to compete in whatever the regulation of the day is touring car (and despite what some of you may think, our current "Blueprint" car is all but a Commodore VN Group A touring car with some nice bits!). However, I also appreciate other forms of motorsport in the country.

If I had a dollar for every time I'd heard mention of a "REAL" car winning a race, I'd be a billionaire. YET - I am 300% sure that the majority of these VERY same people are not out there supporting other forms of national or state class.

We have classes struggling for exposure, sponsorship and rounds because they simply aren't "Popular". The last Shannon's round at Eastern Creek, for example, would have had at best a few thousand people.

People here whinge, ***** and complain about a lack of "REAL" cars, yet refuse to properly support Aus GT, The Manufacturers Championship (Production) and other forms of REAL racing.

I would hazard a guess - If those of you on here REALLY wanted to see production, real, "Race on sunday, Sell on Monday" cars running around in a nationally televised championship, you would indeed get this, IF YOU WENT TO SEE THEM AT THE TRACK!!!!!

Until such a time as you can be arsed to do so, can you stop gilling REAL enthusiasts screens with gutter mouth and garbage, and accept that until you join us at race meets, the current formula is here to stay, and enjoy it for what it is - motor racing vehicles designed to look like road cars with some fantastic racers behind the wheel attempting to entertain us.

Apologies - This has been building for a LONG time.
best post ive read on here, but haters gonna hate..
Old 25 Oct 2012, 18:48 (Ref:3157627)   #27
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What really annoys me about this place sometimes is all of the armchair historians. I've been a member for 9 years, and for at least the past 5, there's been a growing movement of people who yearn for "Group A", or "REAL" cars, or "Production" cars.

I am a huge fan of the ATCC - In any form. It attracts the best in our nation, to compete in whatever the regulation of the day is touring car (and despite what some of you may think, our current "Blueprint" car is all but a Commodore VN Group A touring car with some nice bits!). However, I also appreciate other forms of motorsport in the country.

If I had a dollar for every time I'd heard mention of a "REAL" car winning a race, I'd be a billionaire. YET - I am 300% sure that the majority of these VERY same people are not out there supporting other forms of national or state class.

We have classes struggling for exposure, sponsorship and rounds because they simply aren't "Popular". The last Shannon's round at Eastern Creek, for example, would have had at best a few thousand people.

People here whinge, ***** and complain about a lack of "REAL" cars, yet refuse to properly support Aus GT, The Manufacturers Championship (Production) and other forms of REAL racing.

I would hazard a guess - If those of you on here REALLY wanted to see production, real, "Race on sunday, Sell on Monday" cars running around in a nationally televised championship, you would indeed get this, IF YOU WENT TO SEE THEM AT THE TRACK!!!!!

Until such a time as you can be arsed to do so, can you stop gilling REAL enthusiasts screens with gutter mouth and garbage, and accept that until you join us at race meets, the current formula is here to stay, and enjoy it for what it is - motor racing vehicles designed to look like road cars with some fantastic racers behind the wheel attempting to entertain us.

Completely 300% agree
Old 25 Oct 2012, 18:50 (Ref:3157628)   #28
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What really annoys me about this place sometimes is all of the armchair historians. I've been a member for 9 years, and for at least the past 5, there's been a growing movement of people who yearn for "Group A", or "REAL" cars, or "Production" cars........................................Apologies - This has been building for a LONG time.
Well said, a very good mate of mine runs in the Shannons Australian Manufactures Championship and won the National Championship for his class last year and is likely to win it this years, but who is he???????
Old 25 Oct 2012, 19:54 (Ref:3157655)   #29
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry View Post
IIRC Gibson's GTR's were built from used units off a car lot in Tokyo, so they're eligible for starters.
I would say that if the VY was the first to be put together around the cage, then we're looking at shell-built cars up until 2001-ish.

Given that the discussion has been arguing for a couple of pages now, just how applicable the production shell is, is a moot point.

Although it didn't win anything, Garry Wilmington's EB was very much a product of its production car origins, being a couple of half-cuts from cabs IIRC...
That's what I thought.........the last of the Nissan GTRs.
Old 25 Oct 2012, 20:38 (Ref:3157672)   #30
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

Although, for some reason or another, someone will pipe up and say you're wrong, and argue to the end of time with you over it.
Old 25 Oct 2012, 20:39 (Ref:3157673)   #31
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
Peckstar, when asked 1 + 1 do you reply "rabbit"? Lol ;p
I think youfound the Aussie equivalent of Promax
Old 25 Oct 2012, 21:07 (Ref:3157687)   #32
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Holy crap all I wanted to know is the last car that wasn't scratch built!
It wasn't a dig at any type of car or racing
Old 25 Oct 2012, 21:13 (Ref:3157695)   #33
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surely you'd know how things operate around here by now; All Posts May Contain Traces of Malice.
Old 25 Oct 2012, 22:13 (Ref:3157714)   #34
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Yeah I know, you asked a moderately simple question and got a string of answers of which about 50% are useful...

I'm also interested to know!
Old 25 Oct 2012, 22:14 (Ref:3157715)   #35
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Yeah.........like having a cigarette logo avatar.......lol.........that could be having "dig" at someone.
Old 25 Oct 2012, 22:19 (Ref:3157717)   #36
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
You did nothing wrong, it is a legitimate thread topic, but some people feel threatened by it somehow.
Old 25 Oct 2012, 22:30 (Ref:3157719)   #37
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
You did nothing wrong, it is a legitimate thread topic, but some people feel threatened by it somehow.
I dont think anyone feels threatened.

Its just a hard to answer question and probably the tongue in check heading didnt help, plus a recent trolling effort by a poster recently

plus cars have often had that many re-births as latter models or new owners its hard to know the history.

didnt the BA falcons start life on the factory floor, this could triple 8 have won bathurst in one
Old 25 Oct 2012, 22:44 (Ref:3157721)   #38
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

"Holy crap all I wanted to know ..."

Isn't that a shared experience!
Old 25 Oct 2012, 22:53 (Ref:3157722)   #39
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie17 View Post
I reckon the last real one was the tow truck back in 92.
watching tow trucks going round bathurst aye? would've been fun to watch.

Quote:
IIRC Gibson's GTR's is the answer then, if only they used them in the V8's would smash the competition, like theyve done all around the world. coz godzilla's are a beast!!!!!!
Old 25 Oct 2012, 23:26 (Ref:3157732)   #40
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Yeah.........like having a cigarette logo avatar.......lol.........that could be having "dig" at someone.
Nah, just the Government.
Old 25 Oct 2012, 23:33 (Ref:3157733)   #41
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
I dont think anyone feels threatened.

Its just a hard to answer question and probably the tongue in check heading didnt help, plus a recent trolling effort by a poster recently

plus cars have often had that many re-births as latter models or new owners its hard to know the history.

didnt the BA falcons start life on the factory floor, this could triple 8 have won bathurst in one
No the BAs were scratch built.
I'm sure a lot or early supercars were started from shells, but I'm not sure. That's kinda where I was going with the topic.
Old 25 Oct 2012, 23:37 (Ref:3157734)   #42
Umai Naa
Veteran

Aaron Noonan might know.

He's Noonz1 on here, or you can reach him through the V8 Sleuth website.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 01:44 (Ref:3157774)   #43
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Nah, just the Government.
OK, fair enough.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 01:46 (Ref:3157775)   #44
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where was that link to the article that was posted on here a while back about one of the Landsvale car, it said it was built from a special motorsport shell... So that would wipe out all but some of the lower privateers in the v8sc era but they never won a bathurst...
Old 26 Oct 2012, 03:50 (Ref:3157809)   #45
Umai Naa
Veteran

I think the Lansvale cars were built from Dencar shells. Well the VN/VPs were.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 08:35 (Ref:3157874)   #46
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Thought I defined it in my first post... But to clarify I mean a car that started life as either a road car, or a shell off the factory floor. Yes even a walked down the line one. As long as it was a complete shell before cage was added. Not a space frame with panels hung off it. Those from the 70s are far far earlier than the last.
oh, in that case, Audi R8 LM, B12, 2011 and 2012.

Other than that, you'd have to go back to Mini Coopers.

Old 26 Oct 2012, 08:39 (Ref:3157876)   #47
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
****, I forgot to say "1000"
Old 26 Oct 2012, 08:49 (Ref:3157882)   #48
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff s conscience View Post
oh, in that case, Audi R8 LM, B12, 2011 and 2012.

Other than that, you'd have to go back to Mini Coopers.

Bravo, well said.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 09:47 (Ref:3157898)   #49
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

oh, in that case, Nissan Skyline.....
Old 29 Oct 2012, 02:54 (Ref:3159309)   #50
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
How about 1998 ... Rydell/Richards Volvo S40???