Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Dec 2014, 07:33 (Ref:3485132)   #26
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
December 15, 2014

Auto Action facebook
DESPITE STATEMENTS being made that Australian GT was not being sold to V8 Supercars, rumours continued to circulate last week that a sale was on, and could be completed as soon as the Clipsal 500 next year.
Series owner Tony Quinn told Auto Action categorically that he will not be letting go of his Australian GT any time soon.
“I sent a text to all the guys last week because I think there was a bit of scuttlebutt around,” he explained.
“I think the V8s have got their own set of challenges, and I am the first to stand up and say that it is my intention to support the V8 category as much as I can as a category owner.”
Quinn explained that despite backing V8 Supercars, he would not be selling up, and nor would he be defecting from V8 Supercars to run his series independently.
“We have all seen the Ross Palmer (the now bankrupt backer of Procar) thing and how much money he spent himself to try and do his own thing and it is a very expensive ego trip,” Quinn added.
“I am not really into that.
“I think in Australia there is only room for one main circus, and I am happy to support the V8s as long as they reciprocate.”
Also an accomplished racer, Quinn said that he had held casual conversation with V8 Supercars CEO James Warburton recently, however remained firm that there was no sale on the table as long as the two categories continue to co-exist.
“I had a couple of coffees with James Warburton and the subject was broached about what is the future of V8s and should there be a look in,” he explained.
“I think between us all, if we stick together and form one good show, I think the thing will right itself and sort itself out.
“So long as the GTs get a good showing at the V8 rounds, I don’t think there is any need for them to buy AusGT – unless they think there is a fortune in it, which there’s not.
“Really, why would they buy it? So long as we are friends with each other I don’t see any point.”
Australian GT had previously remained quiet about the possible sale, with Quinn stating he saw no point in buying into the rumours.
“Certainly there is plenty of scuttlebutt around, I did nothing to add to that, because the best thing is to say nothing and let others make up their own minds,” he said.
Quinn added the category’s future beyond that remains mobile.
“As I said in my text, nothing changes for 2015 apart from what has been spoken about already, and as for 2016 I have no f***ing idea because I haven’t even thought about it yet,” he said.
“The beauty of myself and Aus GT and Aussie Racing Cars is you have to be fluid and change with the wind and flexible, and always moving up, stepping up and continuing to move the bar up.”
“I think there is an opportunity if we all go together, hold hands if you like, and march into the future together we can have something that’s strong, and thankfully I am not an egotistical maniac that wants to take on the world,” he concluded.
“I am a bit of a team player when it comes to business decisions. Whatever is best for the business in general is what we should all be doing.”
Old 15 Dec 2014, 07:37 (Ref:3485133)   #27
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good news.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 22:40 (Ref:3492612)   #28
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GERMAN AUDI STAR TO CONTEST AUSTRALIAN GT

Christopher Mies
German factory Audi driver Christopher Mies will compete in the full 2015 Australian GT Championship for Steve McLaughlan’s JAMEC-PEM Racing.
Local privateer McLaughlan has recently bought a second, brand new R8 GT3 to add to his stable, which will be run as a two-car team within Melbourne Performance Centre’s fleet.
“I’m really looking forward to doing Australian GT together with JAMEC-PEM Racing and MPC,” said the 25-year-old Mies.
“I’m a big fan of Australia. The target is definitely to win the championship this year, that’s what I’m there for.
“I watched some of the races from 2014 and it looked like it is already a tough competition with some tight racing. I like that.
“From what I hear, my guess is that 2015 will be even more competitive, especially with the rumour that there will be a number of former V8 Supercar drivers and some other young guys looking to establish themselves in GT also coming in.
“The Australian market is very important for a brand like Audi, and I’m very proud to be the first official Audi driver who’s doing a complete championship there.
“No question it will not be easy against all the other good drivers, especially as I don’t know many of the tracks, but I’ll enjoy it as much as possible.”
Mies will meanwhile race a different MPC Audi at next month’s Bathurst 12 Hour, teaming with Marc Cini and Mark Eddy for a third year.
The race will mark Mies’ fifth consecutive appearance at the Bathurst 12 Hour, which he won in 2011 and 2012 while part of Audi’s factory line-ups.
“I love driving with the boys, they’re both great characters and they always make Bathurst a special experience,” Mies added.
“The field in 2015 is going to be tough, but we ran strongly last year and could well have been in that battle for the lead if not for a couple of issues mid race which dropped us down a number of laps.
“We’ll be in the mix again this year I’m sure, and it will also give me a good chance to see what the competition will be like for Adelaide. I can’t wait!”.
McLaughlan has entered both of his R8s for the 12 Hour, with V8 Supercars co-driver Warren Luff and Briton James Winslow both confirmed to be part of the driving line-up.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 22:54 (Ref:3492614)   #29
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, great news for the local championship.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 23:12 (Ref:3492622)   #30
KSM86
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
KSM86 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well over past 8 months GT racing has been in the news like never before down here! might only be one awsome pro driver but this championship is getting better and better
Old 14 Jan 2015, 03:58 (Ref:3492654)   #31
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
EfiOz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM86 View Post
Well over past 8 months GT racing has been in the news like never before down here! might only be one awsome pro driver but this championship is getting better and better
Yeah, there'll be more than one this year.
Old 16 Jan 2015, 20:29 (Ref:3493406)   #32
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Ex-F1 driver to race Camaro in Australian GT

17 January 2015 - National NewsFormer Formula 1 driver Tomas Enge will be behind the wheel of M Motorsport's Chevrolet Camaro when it makes its Australian GT Championship debut in Adelaide Read More
Old 17 Jan 2015, 00:11 (Ref:3493457)   #33
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Tomas Enge?

Oh this ought to be something to watch. Brilliant!!
Old 18 Jan 2015, 01:49 (Ref:3493736)   #34
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Entries for Australian GT exceed maximum grid numbers

Oz Racing Sportscars & GTJanuary 18, 2015

ALTHOUGH GRID numbers in some series have dwindled gradually in recent years, Australian GT has been faced with the unusual predicament of having too many entries for the 2015 season.
Six weeks out from the series opener at Adelaide, the category has already received 41 entrants for the event, however could only field a maximum of 34 cars.
Australian GT Category Manager Ken Collier said that it has been an extraordinary period of growth for the category.
“The off-season always provides plenty of discussion about who’s in, and who’s not,” said Collier.
“Since before the close of the 2014 season though, the phone just hasn’t stopped ringing, in fact prior to Christmas I had a tentative field of entries of almost 50!
“Series entries have now closed, and I’m overjoyed to confirm that we have 32 confirmed series entries, and we had 41 entrants for the opening round in Clipsal.
“Unfortunately we’ve had to turn some entrants away for that event because the grid has been capped at 34 cars.”
Collier added that the influx of new entries to the category have been “beyond expectations” and serve as proof of the categories growth.
There had been rumours that V8 Supercars would purchase the GT category last year, however series owner Tony Quinn has said categorically that Australian GT is not for sale.

Old 18 Jan 2015, 07:44 (Ref:3493751)   #35
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Clipsal has always had big grids but it'll be interesting to see who hangs around afterwards.
Old 18 Jan 2015, 08:35 (Ref:3493755)   #36
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Clipsal has always had big grids but it'll be interesting to see who hangs around afterwards.
Yes and yes.
Old 18 Jan 2015, 22:25 (Ref:3493937)   #37
Hingo
Racer

Australia
Canberra
Hingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ENDURANCE SERIES PLANNED FOR AUSTRALIAN GT IN 2016

http://www.speedcafe.com/2015/01/19/...an-gt-in-2016/
Old 19 Jan 2015, 00:54 (Ref:3493968)   #38
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
That could work well for people wanting more seat time for the money they spend.
Old 19 Jan 2015, 00:56 (Ref:3493969)   #39
Reload
Veteran

Australia
James Winslow to join Andrew Macpherson in the Porsche GT3-R for this season.
Old 19 Jan 2015, 02:34 (Ref:3493991)   #40
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hingo View Post
ENDURANCE SERIES PLANNED FOR AUSTRALIAN GT IN 2016

http://www.speedcafe.com/2015/01/19/...an-gt-in-2016/
Quote:
Quinn confirmed that recent discussions with V8 Supercars included the possibility of an ownership change, which the petfood magnate has since categorically ruled out.
So was more than just a rumour
Old 19 Jan 2015, 03:48 (Ref:3493997)   #41
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The GT3-R might struggle to be competitive, but it'll be good to see a Porsche in the Champ class again.

Great mix of manufacturers, some world class drivers and oversubscribed fields. All looks promising
Old 19 Jan 2015, 06:01 (Ref:3494015)   #42
Finski
Rookie

Finland
Australia
Finski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are there any live streams of the races? would love to follow the series but have only been able to see some races on foxtel quite sometime after the race. Thanks.
Old 19 Jan 2015, 06:19 (Ref:3494017)   #43
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
James Winslow to join Andrew Macpherson in the Porsche GT3-R for this season.

Great news. Good to have a GT3R in the category confirmed for this year especially with Winslow onboard.
Old 22 Jan 2015, 04:12 (Ref:3495036)   #44
Reload
Veteran

Australia
American Muscle joins Australian GT

Oz Racing Sportscars & GTJanuary 22, 2015

AUSTRALIAN-BASED GT team M-Motorsport will double down in the 2015 Australian GT Championship, adding two brand-new Chevrolet Camaro GT3s to its arsenal and expanding to a three-car team.
The two Camaros will join the team’s Lamborghini Gallardo FL2 GT3 in an assault on the local GT series.
M-Motorsport team leader and driver Justin McMillan will jump from the Lamborghini to a Camaro, alongside Blancpain GT Series regular Tomáš Enge.
McMillan’s former teammate Steven Richards will stay with the team, piloting a second Camaro alongside Dale Paterson.
The squad will still retain the Gallardo it fielded last season, with former F3 racer John Magro stepping into the car for 2015.
The team’s two Camaros are produced by Reiter Engineering, with McMillan signing on to be the agent for the vehicle locally.
McMillian said he was convinced to run the American muscle car after seeing Inky Tulloch and Craig Lowndes compete in a Reiter Engineering-built Camaro in last year’s Highlands 101.
“To be honest, that event changed my mind about my direction moving forward,” he said. “After discussions with Reiter in Germany, and with Steve, we elected to make a change from the Lamborghini and assist in the development of the Camaro with a two-car team.
“What that meant, though, was that we had a Gallardo that we weren’t going to run after the Bathurst 12-Hour, and as soon as I started making noises about leasing that I was inundated with calls.”
Magro hopes that by flying solo in the Gallardo, he can challenge for outright victory.
“I looked at a number of options, but in the end, the Lamborghini provided not only the best package, but an opportunity to race with the frontrunners and go after the championship,” Magro said.
Old 22 Jan 2015, 09:17 (Ref:3495075)   #45
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
So Tomas Enge is in for more races after Clipsal?
Old 27 Jan 2015, 22:45 (Ref:3498118)   #46
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Jono Lester to be joined by Paul Kelly for the series.
Old 28 Jan 2015, 03:03 (Ref:3498173)   #47
Reload
Veteran

Australia
V8 Supercars driver David Wall will return to the Australian GT Championship later this season, making selected appearances in an Audi R8 Read More
Old 4 Feb 2015, 06:37 (Ref:3500719)   #48
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Grant Denyer sets sights on Australian GT

Grant Denyer will use the Bathurst 12 Hour as a warm-up for a planned full-time Australian GT campaign this season Read More
Old 16 Feb 2015, 03:19 (Ref:3505338)   #49
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Dean Canto to drive with Andrew Taplin.
Old 16 Feb 2015, 03:39 (Ref:3505342)   #50
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Dean Canto to drive with Andrew Taplin.
In what? A Lamborghini? Porsche? Ford GT?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House