Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Dec 2001, 06:44 (Ref:184890)   #1
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What if all the manufacturers pulled out of F1 and formed their own series?

It has been widely reported that the manufacturers want a bigger piece of the F1 pie and are contemplating forming their own series unless they get what they want. What would you do if Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Toyota, Honda, Renault, etc. all pulled out of F1 and formed their own rival series? Would this be the kiss of death to Formula One? Which series would you follow more closely?
Old 12 Dec 2001, 07:31 (Ref:184895)   #2
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this does happen then there will be no more F1, hence no choice. However, to my knowledge all teams have signed the concord agreement which prohibits the formation of such a rogue series at least until 2006.

I hope someone can confirm this because im not sure about it myself.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 10:25 (Ref:184925)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I'm not sure about the date the Concord agreement runs to, but the treams have already taken steps to form a company that would become the vehicle for the new series. The whole matter hinges on the TV rights and whether it will be confirmed that television remains on terrestrial television and not pay per view.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 10:41 (Ref:184931)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep. The companies already did that. So, I'm hoping they take over F1 rather then make a new series.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 11:15 (Ref:184952)   #5
jobie
Rookie

jobie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hI GUYS,
i BELIEVE THE CONCORD AGREEMENT RUNS UNTIL 2008, WHICH IS WHEN THE MANUFACTURERS ARE THREATENING TO RUN THEIR OWN SERIES.
I think they are just flexing their collective muscles in an attempt to get more money! (sorry about the capitals at the start, didn't realise and couldn't be bothered to re-type!)

I'm sure as many of you have, i have been following this sport for many years, but feel that now it is heading for trouble. With big manufacturers now starting to run and buy their own teams, the sport is losing it's soul. The manufacturers should have been kept at supplier level, leaving true sportsmen to run the teams. When the likes of Frank Williams, Tom Walkinshaw, Eddie Jordan, Ron Dennis retire, where will that leave F1? Will it become less of a sport and more of a showcase for manufacturers? Remember also that all of the manufacturers in F1 at the moment (with the exception of Toyota)come and go from the sport, returning to raise their profile in answer to their competitors, how will F1 cope with that? What do you guy's think?
Old 12 Dec 2001, 11:57 (Ref:184967)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jobie,

F1 started losing its soul in the 80's, so I think it's a case of which one is worst, the disease or the medication. F1 will get nowhere if their current owners do what they're planning. The carmakers presence in F1 has a good side, so better be this way than lost it all.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 13:02 (Ref:184986)   #7
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Manufacturers'" Series

First of all, the present Concorde Agreement runs "through the end of 2007". This means the first season for a "new" series would be the 2008 season. The present group of "manufacturers", to my knowledge, includes only the european and U.S. companies. I don't believe that Honda and Toyota have formally joined the group as yet, but let us assume they do so and then assess the impact.

If this development comes about, the four factory teams, Ferrari, Renault, Toyota and Jaguar (Ford) will join the new series. It is very likely that the other teams using the manufacturers' engines (Williams/BMW, McLaren/Daimler-Chrysler, BAR/Honda, Jordon/Honda and ProstorSuccessor/Ferrari will also do so. The other three back markers, (Sauber, Arrows and Menardi) might or might not be invited to go along. If GM and/or VW have entered F1 by taking over one of these teams, they would probably join the new series. Let us call it Formula A, because for sure if this happens, Bernie will never let them take the Formula 1 name.

With 9 to 11 of the existing 12 teams joining Formula A, Formula 1 as we know it will simply cease to exist. It may survive as an "IRL" type series called "Formula 1" and using only road courses but offering a limited selection of engines and chassis. Where the teams will be found to compete, and where they will get their engines if the present "manufacturers" decline to supply them is an open question. There are several chassis builders who would be happy to supply the new teams, Reynard for example.

The Formala A series will face some serious problems also. The first question is "Where will they race?" Bernie is reported to own Spa, Hockenheim and Magny Cours so it's unlikely that those tracks will be available. Other tracks may still have agreements to host Formula 1 which will prevent them from also hosting Formula A. The new series will also have to duplicate and put into place all of the sanctioning, rule making and commercial functions which are now peformed by Bernie and the FIA. We may not love Bernie and the FIA, but there is no question that they perform valuable services to support all of the teams now in F1. Finally, Formula A will have to find TV and radio broadcasters who are free to carry their races. If Formula 1 continues, their broadcasters will not be permitted to carry Formula A as well.

All of this will result in a huge upheaval, a substantial duplication of effort, a whole lot of extra expense and alot of fan animosity while everything is sorted out. In short it would create a big mess. For all of these reasons, it will be in all of the participants' interest to reach a new "Concorde Agreement" providing for "free" TV and giving a larger share of the TV revenues to the teams which are the two major points at issue. Will this happen? Probably yes if people behave rationally. Will they? Who knows. Nobody really wanted WWII, but it happened.

Old 12 Dec 2001, 14:54 (Ref:185017)   #8
jobie
Rookie

Bononi,
Yes, although i would love to see F1 return to a "true sport", that's not going to happen! Perhaps i like the idea of manufacturer owned teams, less than others may do, as i am a dyed in the wool team supporter, but could never see myself supporting a "corporation".

Maxmil,
I think that's a fair assesment of what could happen, although as i said earlier, i think it's a muscle flexing excercise. Mind you, they do sound fairly serious and could be forced to carry it through if Bernie double bluffs them! A case of who blinks first eh!?
Old 12 Dec 2001, 18:28 (Ref:185081)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I also think your description was prety good Maxmill, but would add that Bernie Eccleslug also owns Paul Rickard (through Mrs Eccleslug) and is thought to be a shareholder in Octagon (Brands Hatch Leisure).

Like you I think this is the manufactrers way of gaining a larger slice of the TV cake, and aslo making sure TV stays 'free' as you rightly said. If F1 goes to 'pay per view' then the audience will shrink dramatically and defeat the whole object of the car makers being in F1.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that Eccleslug retires before the expiry of the concorde agreement and that someone like Razor Ron Denis takes over the helm!
Old 12 Dec 2001, 18:35 (Ref:185088)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Yep, Jobie. I share the same opinion. I saw my beloved Brabham and Lotus face the end and as a team supporter is very sad.
Old 13 Dec 2001, 11:05 (Ref:185378)   #11
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As if this rival series will get up and going anyway, and even if it did, the current F1 will cease and this new series will probably just buy the rights like Formula 1, World Drivers Championship, Constructors Champion and so on.

I find it curious that the FIA has given approval to a new series.
Old 13 Dec 2001, 12:02 (Ref:185390)   #12
jobie
Rookie

Hi Bononi,
Quite right, the demise of any "true" race team is sad!
As someone who has followed this for some time, how do you feel about the likes of B.A.R., Pollock etc entering the sport?
I have very mixed feelings, while i appreciate that they raise the profile of F1 and indeed have spent alot of money building a race team, i just don't feel that they have the right reasons for being there, but i think perhaps i am suffering a little from some sort of race purist prejudice!!

Perhaps it's time for a rocking chair, a pipe and a grandson for my knee!
Old 13 Dec 2001, 12:34 (Ref:185398)   #13
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA Approval of Premier League Series

Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
I find it curious that the FIA has given approval to a new series.
You raise an interesting point racer. (No pun intended.) My personal opinion is that the FIA gave it's approval for the Premier Series for two very much related reasons. First, the FIA is convinced - as are many others - that the Premier venture will never get off the ground. No need to play dog in the manger then. Second, this issue came up when the EU trustbusters were examining the whole Formula 1 setup. By approving the Premier Series, F1 was able to give the lie to some of the charges that they were guilty of anticompetitive behavour. Whether or not this was a reason why the Commission dropped its investigation, we will probably never know, but it can't have hurt F1's case.

In short, it was a low risk strategy to make F1 look like good guys.
Old 13 Dec 2001, 13:28 (Ref:185414)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Yeah, Jobie.

I think BAR will soon be gone, HONDA or another one will take charge of this.

Maxmil, you spotted it all.