Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Oct 2004, 12:06 (Ref:1125163)   #1
muzza4ever
Racer

England
Grim up North, UK
muzza4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[Rumour] - merc to buy out McLaren with Ron on his way out?

Planet F1 have this rumour?

Gerhard Berger to take over? After his time as head of BMW Motorsport this would surely be a disaster?
Old 15 Oct 2004, 12:23 (Ref:1125175)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmm, this all sounds like just a load of claptrap...
Just rumours and wild speculation...
Old 15 Oct 2004, 12:28 (Ref:1125181)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
agreed.
After all Ron is an element of stability, somehow repairing the squad from the political raws typical of huge corps.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 12:29 (Ref:1125183)   #4
muzza4ever
Racer

England
Grim up North, UK
muzza4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah could be - but we had rumours like Mark Webber and Button going to Williams - and at leas tone of those proved correct and if the second part doesn't it will be because of the CRB.

In fairness I did say it was a rumour at least twice ;-)
Old 15 Oct 2004, 14:11 (Ref:1125268)   #5
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ron Dennis will want to retire someday, and he will want to retire while McLaren is worth something.

If the manufacturer led F1 series takes off where will that leave old time team owners like Ron, Frank etc. I wouldn't blame Ron for getting out now while he can still sell at a reasonable price.

If the banks get hold of F1 from Bernie they could be left owning 75% of nothing and the team owners could be in the same position if they are tied to F1 by the Concorde Agreement.

With the DTM looking like it is in decline with Opel announcing its withdrawel after 2005, then Mercedes will have a bit more money to buy Ron's Share of McLaren. It would be buying a state of the art technology centre from which to base its motorsport activities.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 14:19 (Ref:1125275)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't see this happening - at all.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 17:05 (Ref:1125415)   #7
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Not sure why Gerhard Berger would be a disaster, though; he was a pretty good boss of BMW Motorsport.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 17:27 (Ref:1125426)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gerhard was excellent at BMW - he built the F1 project up form nothing to the point where they had the best engine going - only Williams' failings stopped them challenging properly.

McLaren look set for a resurgence next year, but there could be some concerns at Mercedes. Firstly, Ron may not be able to truly get the most out of their two drivers, especailly if Newey retires or goes back to Williams (see seperate rumour). Secondly, in this age of manufacturer involvement, Mercedes may fele that they don't get all the kudos for their success - some of it goes to McLaren - whereas Renault get far more.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 17:34 (Ref:1125434)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Firstly, Ron may not be able to truly get the most out of their two drivers

No-one is better at managing drivers than Ron Dennis.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 18:04 (Ref:1125460)   #10
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
I thought it was a done deal,Merc buying Macca and changing the name to Merc,this is old news, it was back months ago,because we had all the "end of Mclaren name" stories here due to the obvious connections with NZ.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 18:43 (Ref:1125482)   #11
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought I read something that quoted dennis as wanting to retire soon.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 19:32 (Ref:1125510)   #12
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've read in the business press that it's alleged that RD has been positioning himself in a 'tax efficient environment', probably as a prelude to a big pay day from Mercedes at some point in the future. He won't want to carry on forever, so that is prudent.

In the short term, I am sure he will remain for the next few years. Mercedes and Renault both have new CEO's coming in during the next year so there is bound to be some re-evaluation of their activity (including F1). With Mercedes F1 will probably be their core motorsport for the forseeable future (new regs and agreements permitting), for Renault I think it may be less so.

Strangely, Mercedes pulled out of CART leaving the way clear for Audi (particularly) to position themselves in US motorsportas a premier sporting saloon brand via their ALMS campaign.

Last edited by Super Tourer; 15 Oct 2004 at 19:34.
Old 16 Oct 2004, 09:57 (Ref:1125844)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
KB, I don't think I was entirely clear with the point you quoted. I meant that Ron might not be able to manage the team (including car construction, team staff etc.) to achieve as much as posisble considering the ability of their two drivers. I wasn't questioning Ron Dennis' man-management, which seems to be what you took from my words.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 14:38 (Ref:1128381)   #14
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anything I can see Mercedes leaving F1...but it depends on how the next few years pan out and what sort of Concorde agreement we're left with.