Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 17 Jul 2018, 15:59 (Ref:3837142)   #26
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I guess some of that may come from when an interest was first shown in this form of racing.

When the BRSCC 'announced plans for a new championship to cater for “the competitor who wants to race the ordinary family car, to do so throughout an entire season against evenly matched opposition.”' I would imagine that most people thought Saloon Cars, and British Saloon Car Championship sounded perfectly fine.

Did the change to BTCC in 1987 come with any objection from enthusiasts I wonder?
And were they objecting to the name change, or the types of vehicle used?

Although if this thread is specifically for Touring Car Drivers - does that mean it is a 1987-onwards focus?
I wouldn't know, the renaming predates me by 3 years, pre-1987 drivers can be included too but this is not specifically for the British Championship drivers.
Old 17 Jul 2018, 17:16 (Ref:3837152)   #27
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Shall we get back on topic?
Old 17 Jul 2018, 17:40 (Ref:3837154)   #28
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Er, I suppose we ought to......
Old 17 Jul 2018, 19:39 (Ref:3837170)   #29
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Shall we get back on topic?
Good thinking. Now I was intended this to be more like a Touring Car version of F1/GP Rejects as their forum just happens to have previously had a BTCC Rejects topic but, like I say, this isn't solely about BTCC Drivers.
Old 17 Jul 2018, 20:39 (Ref:3837178)   #30
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononsensecapeesh View Post
Good thinking. Now I was intended this to be more like a Touring Car version of F1/GP Rejects as their forum just happens to have previously had a BTCC Rejects topic but, like I say, this isn't solely about BTCC Drivers.
I'm still confused about two things with these threads though:

How is this a 'tribute to heroic failures', as GP Rejects does?
Why do we need to replicate another forum here?
Old 17 Jul 2018, 20:44 (Ref:3837180)   #31
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
I'm still confused about two things with these threads though:

How is this a 'tribute to heroic failures', as GP Rejects does?
Why do we need to replicate another forum here?
Just a thought...
Old 18 Jul 2018, 06:39 (Ref:3837231)   #32
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well it would be nice to debate those who didn't do anything noteworthy in the series, how good they really were
Old 18 Jul 2018, 08:09 (Ref:3837240)   #33
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Well it would be nice to debate those who didn't do anything noteworthy in the series, how good they really were
And that's what I'm not seeing through these thread resurrections - it just seems like posts naming someone who didn't set the series' alight, with no real discussion or debate surrounding them.......
Old 18 Jul 2018, 09:40 (Ref:3837261)   #34
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Between the mid 1970's to mid 1990's I feel that a lot of the drivers were there on merit.
Old 18 Jul 2018, 10:35 (Ref:3837276)   #35
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Clegg View Post
Between the mid 1970's to mid 1990's I feel that a lot of the drivers were there on merit.
Not all of them, there's always the odd exception.
Old 18 Jul 2018, 17:26 (Ref:3837347)   #36
S griffin
Veteran

And to be fair the last couple of seasons the standard of drivers has been high
Old 18 Jul 2018, 18:43 (Ref:3837370)   #37
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
That's true.
Old 19 Jul 2018, 21:35 (Ref:3837595)   #38
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
What, the current series?!

With the exception of half a dozen drivers the field is made up of glorified club racers.

There is quantity but not quality.

If I may go back to 1985. If Sheene had been up against the big class field from 1984 he would have struggled. Win Percy showed what the MA61 Supra was capable of in '84 and it us a shame his increased TWR commitments prevented him returning.
Old 19 Jul 2018, 21:49 (Ref:3837600)   #39
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Any one-off/part-time local WTCC entrants and also Olivier Tielemans in DTM and WTCC.
Old 19 Jul 2018, 22:00 (Ref:3837603)   #40
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Any one-off/part-time local WTCC entrants and also Olivier Tielemans in DTM and WTCC.
So Tom Coronel and James Thompson make your list of 'worst touring car drivers'?
Old 19 Jul 2018, 22:41 (Ref:3837609)   #41
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
So Tom Coronel and James Thompson make your list of 'worst touring car drivers'?
Coronel and Thompsons did full campaigns as well so no.
Old 20 Jul 2018, 06:20 (Ref:3837632)   #42
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
You're making my head spin at the moment, and I'm struggling to see what point you are attempting to make...

Quote:
First and foremost, I mean worst BTCC Drivers
Quote:
Any one-off WTCC entrants
Coronel and Thompson both made one-off BTCC appearances, but somehow don't make your list of 'any'?

At the moment, it seems about as much use as making the statement:

Who are the worst drivers in touring cars? - those who had rubbish results!
Old 20 Jul 2018, 08:41 (Ref:3837647)   #43
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
What, the current series?!

With the exception of half a dozen drivers the field is made up of glorified club racers.

There is quantity but not quality.

If I may go back to 1985. If Sheene had been up against the big class field from 1984 he would have struggled. Win Percy showed what the MA61 Supra was capable of in '84 and it us a shame his increased TWR commitments prevented him returning.
Yes the current series, which saw 13 drivers score win last season and 34 of the 37 drivers score points and even under the old top 10 system there would have been 30 drivers that scored. The fact is it hasn't been this competitive since the super touring days
Old 20 Jul 2018, 19:01 (Ref:3837717)   #44
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Reid, PLato and Patrick Watts

Dirty drivers the lot of them

With a nod to Tim Harvey too!
Old 23 Jul 2018, 11:30 (Ref:3838269)   #45
Angus Theape
Rookie

Angus Theape should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'll start with G1 BSCC days.

In the Group A years,the late Barry Sheene was pretty poor in the '85 Celica Supra.
Well Bazza did win a BMW county race. The most unusual thing was that he did not hold a RACMSA racing licience at the time
Old 23 Jul 2018, 15:57 (Ref:3838308)   #46
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Theape View Post
Well Bazza did win a BMW county race. The most unusual thing was that he did not hold a RACMSA racing licience at the time
You sure that wasn't Barrie Williams?! 😆
Old 23 Jul 2018, 16:00 (Ref:3838311)   #47
Angus Theape
Rookie

Angus Theape should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You sure that wasn't Barrie Williams?! 😆
He might have done so as well, but I only know of Barry Sheene
Old 23 Jul 2018, 16:01 (Ref:3838312)   #48
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Yes the current series, which saw 13 drivers score win last season and 34 of the 37 drivers score points and even under the old top 10 system there would have been 30 drivers that scored. The fact is it hasn't been this competitive since the super touring days
Pretty sure a series with multiple winners is more indicative of a lower quality than higher quality of drivers and/or cars that are too similar in performance.

The current series should not be compared with Supertouring, or Group A for that matter. Both were far superior in depth of drivers and machinery.
Old 23 Jul 2018, 16:07 (Ref:3838314)   #49
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Geoff seemed to have a few incidents and to be fair to Khan he only did half a season. He had one race in a Toyota, where he did quite well, then switched back to the Vauxhall, before leaving the series mid season. Geoff Steel though seemed unable of challenging the top privateers though

what happened to Khan's Toyota after Thruxton? Seemed to race it once and then was never seen again in 94
Old 23 Jul 2018, 16:15 (Ref:3838318)   #50
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I've been looking at this thread and wonder how people can define "worst" do you mean someone that has virtually crashed every time on the first lap ? or has never got into the points regardless of how many races they have entered ? A mediocre driver in the best car can get in the points the same as the best driver in a mediocre car can so I don't actually see how you can define "worst"

I suppose the only way you could possibly see an answer is by looking at someone who has had the very best/fastest and reliable car with unlimited finance and has done a full season/seasons Whereas some drivers who could be very good but have a limited budget and an unreliable/uncompetitive car don't have much chance unless others break down or get involved in crashes could be classed as worst !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !

Tags
btcc, dtm, etcc, touring car, wtcc