Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Nov 2013, 22:46 (Ref:3330161)   #26
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Both dad and son have driven McLaren-Mercedes. Jan in the first year of the McLaren-Mercedes deal, Kevin in the last year of the McLaren-Mercedes deal. Nice that.

He's going to be useless in '14, McLaren will need to have patience with him and understand that if nurtured he'll bear fruit in time for when they strap a Honda onto the back of that car for Honda's first GP back.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 22:59 (Ref:3330173)   #27
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great news! - I've always been a huge fan of the "Young Guns", especially the really talented one's.

I'm sure the quite amazing performance by Marc Marquez in MotoGP this season has had some minor influence on promoting Magnussen & Kvyat.

A Rookie MotoGP World Champion - and just 20 years old!
Old 11 Nov 2013, 23:36 (Ref:3330190)   #28
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
Great news! - I've always been a huge fan of the "Young Guns", especially the really talented one's.

I'm sure the quite amazing performance by Marc Marquez in MotoGP this season has had some minor influence on promoting Magnussen & Kvyat.

A Rookie MotoGP World Champion - and just 20 years old!
I am with you here! Great to see talent shine through!

Would be really nice if they could get an even break and a little practice time in F1 to get up to speed though!
Old 12 Nov 2013, 05:32 (Ref:3330259)   #29
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Magnussen is a cracking prospect, and this is potentially great for his career but it alsi seems that Perez has been royally shafted whatever is said about simulators!
Old 12 Nov 2013, 06:59 (Ref:3330268)   #30
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Magnussen is a cracking prospect, and this is potentially great for his career but it alsi seems that Perez has been royally shafted whatever is said about simulators!
It may of course have been his sponsors who did the shafting though!
Old 12 Nov 2013, 07:58 (Ref:3330278)   #31
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If this is confirmed then good for Magnussen, I look forward to seeing him succeed.

But, I have some sympathy with Perez. He has a duff car to drive and a team mate who knows just about every trick in the book; who may not be the out and out fastest; but, is a proven racer and who provides a good benchmark against which Perez can be judged. I think he knew this at the beginning of the season and thus was possibly a bit fazed.

Of the South American Drivers, excluding Felipe, I think Perez has done a solid job. Furthermore I'm sure he's better than Maldonado even if the latter has scored a fortunate win.

So, I hope he gets a seat somewhere where he can develop his talents.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 08:08 (Ref:3330279)   #32
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Wow. Two drivers that surprised everyone last year (Maldonado and Perez) don't have rides now. Maybe Perez will go back to Sauber?
I'm still struggling to work out how Maldonado 'surprised' everyone this year.......
Old 12 Nov 2013, 08:10 (Ref:3330280)   #33
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He probably only deliberately drove two people of the track this year. One of which was his team mate! So, that was surprising.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 08:12 (Ref:3330282)   #34
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah yes, silly me. But was he 'mighty', 'massive', neither or both.....?
Old 12 Nov 2013, 08:14 (Ref:3330283)   #35
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I'm possibly not the person to ask because I think he's massively over rated and mightily unimpressive.

Yes I know that doesn't quite work, but you get the picture.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 09:41 (Ref:3330306)   #36
Dragger
Racer

Dragger has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
2014 is going to be a very interesting season for several different reasons. New turbo era, new star drivers, going to be a good year.

Favorite Cars: Aston Martin Vantage, Ford GT40, Porsche Cayman, and anything not FWD ;)
Old 12 Nov 2013, 10:27 (Ref:3330320)   #37
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
you've got a point, though if he couldn't see this coming then he was probably being a bit optimistic. i mean, we were all a bit underwhelmed when he was signed, and yet now he's duly being shown the door we're surprised? perhaps he was the only one daft enough to agree to the terms of a short term contract?
Old 12 Nov 2013, 12:15 (Ref:3330353)   #38
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wow, that means that the promising Perez was a huge disappointment and now will have to find a seat somewhere else.

Certainly McLaren knows one thing or two that we don't but with everything changing next year, that's a bold move. Maybe Magnussen is the new Hamilton ??
Old 12 Nov 2013, 12:16 (Ref:3330355)   #39
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Will Perez be out on his ear, or will he be reserve / third driver?

Force India or Sauber could do worse than bring him in.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 12:28 (Ref:3330359)   #40
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
AGAIN!

It's not a signed deal or confirmed deal.
Rumour goes, that this might be an attempt to lure more money out of a certain Mexican.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 12:38 (Ref:3330368)   #41
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i would like to believe that it is an old school approach of a team giving an exclusive to a media organisation. you know, like it was before press releases and insta-media on the interwebs.

if autosport have gone with it then i'm happy to believe that it's just a matter of pen to paper and there's no dark subtext to it.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 12:39 (Ref:3330369)   #42
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i would like to believe that it is an old school approach of a team giving an exclusive to a media organisation. you know, like it was before press releases and insta-media on the interwebs.

if autosport have gone with it then i'm happy to believe that it's just a matter of pen to paper and there's no dark subtext to it.
I really hope your right Bella! - I really do
Old 12 Nov 2013, 13:40 (Ref:3330384)   #43
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'm still struggling to work out how Maldonado 'surprised' everyone this year.......
Salamus did say last year, which is when Maldonado won a race in a Williams. Quite surprising?
I agree that he hasn't surprised this year, but with this year's car being a total dog the fact that he hasn't surprised this year isn't much of a surprise.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 13:43 (Ref:3330386)   #44
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Wow, that means that the promising Perez was a huge disappointment and now will have to find a seat somewhere else.

Certainly McLaren knows one thing or two that we don't but with everything changing next year, that's a bold move. Maybe Magnussen is the new Hamilton ??
I think with everything changing it's less of a bold move.
The more that changes the less everyone else will 'know' the cars and therefore the less he will have to catch up.

Still a bold move no doubt, but it would be bolder to bring in a rookie when all the rules were static and all his competitors were set.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 14:51 (Ref:3330411)   #45
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I was referring to 2012.

Winning the Monaco GP in a Williams was a mighty performance and a massive accomplishment!
Old 12 Nov 2013, 15:00 (Ref:3330416)   #46
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I thought Maldonado won the Spanish GP in 2012?
Old 12 Nov 2013, 15:02 (Ref:3330417)   #47
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He did. And then the Williams garage combusted in shock.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 15:34 (Ref:3330420)   #48
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I thought Maldonado won the Spanish GP in 2012?
Yes he did. I don't know why I thought of the Monaco GP. Well, there goes my credibility out the window!
Old 12 Nov 2013, 15:42 (Ref:3330424)   #49
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
It may of course have been his sponsors who did the shafting though!
I'm pretty convinced there is more to this than is currently in the 'domain', yes. As you suggest it could be a result of the Telmex money not coming through as McLaren had expected so they aren't keeping him. There may be some inference towards this when he parted ways with Adrian Fernandez earlier this year...

Then we would have to ask why this is the case. Are Telmex dropping Perez because of he isn't cutting it, or because of McLaren not delivering?

There are an awful lot of drivers who've kept seats having done infinitely worse jobs in their first seasons for a team than Perez has this year. That includes a lot of guys who were rated and also were not considered pay drivers either.

I will be very interested to see what gets said in a few weeks time should Perez get ousted and has run our of time to get a new drive! Again he may no longer have the backing...
Old 12 Nov 2013, 17:40 (Ref:3330487)   #50
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is just me ? Maldonado left Williams because they couldn't deliver a car that was on the same level of his talents and he's posing as widely known champion drivers of the past asking for heaven's sake a decent seat so he can continue his successful career, is that right ????

And... he (hopefully) might be left without a seat, specially if Lotus has the Quantum deal in place ?

F1 is very interesting these days.