Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Mar 2010, 12:43 (Ref:2662627)   #26
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
some interesting lap times accross the board, big gaps at the top . . . . especially pole time in HRSR . . .only a 3.6s gap to 2nd!
Old 29 Mar 2010, 13:10 (Ref:2662637)   #27
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, veeeeery eenterestink as Rowan & Martin would have said. I was later told he had the most highly tuned transponder in the business
Old 29 Mar 2010, 13:25 (Ref:2662648)   #28
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
Grant, Thanks for noticing the Volpini's win in Michael's hands. He also got fastest lap in class. He tells me that the "do it yourself" lining up on the grid was pretty shambolic by the time you got back to his end of the grid!

A special thanks to Iain for once again preparing the car to perfection. It looks and sounds glorious.
Compte, apologies, I did notice the fastest lap but forgot to mention it in the post.

I presume that the DIY lining up, to a true racer, presents an opportunity or two for gaining an edge. Some confusion for anyone else though?
Old 29 Mar 2010, 13:34 (Ref:2662656)   #29
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Not quite the clean sweep it might appear, I was the only car in class after Nigel Webb's Mk1 didn't come out to play.
Colin, you know you didn't have to mention that .....

Sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed it which is surely the point of the exercise.

I wish I had been there to see it ... but on the other hand as an avid photographer the comments from others about the new developments suggest that 'seeing it' might be something of a challenge these days unless one is actually on track.

Oh well, I suppose I will find out for myself later in the year.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 13:41 (Ref:2662660)   #30
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHARD.T View Post
I did niot think I had such a bad day except I still wonder how I am going to get on the pace with Bill, Ben etc.
I only intended it to be a test for the car to make sure it was ok for Monaco and we did have a fair share of problems. Broken 5th gear in quolifying, a plug lead coming off in race 1, a starter moter packed up before race 2, but in the second race the engine was good and the car was handling well, so stop and go home whilst it is still ok.
I started from the pit lane in the races so as not to risk anything, and rightly so as poore Albert Clements found out to his cost that now he has a car to repair for Monaco.
On an earlier point about selling a car for possibiliy £200k, I would sell it and but a FF1600, as you can see, you can lots of fun racing in cars that only cost £15k, possibility more fun, because you are not so worried about you valuable car.
Richard, ah, I was only half right interpreting the MST information then.

A wise move to keep the car unstressed before Monaco.

Looking at the FF times I tend to ageee with you about the fun on the (relatively) cheap angle but that would not necessarily help SD with his recovery from the promise to his wife. It might, but somehow I doubt it.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 13:49 (Ref:2662669)   #31
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am neither talented enough nor brave enough to try single seaters!
Old 29 Mar 2010, 16:28 (Ref:2662803)   #32
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
I am neither talented enough nor brave enough to try single seaters!
Thrill her with stories of how desperately dangerous single seaters are, then mention in an offhand sort of way that you quite fancy it really. Before you know it she'll have talked you into keeping the Merlyn

If she doesn't, then I wouldn't worry too much what she thinks...
Old 29 Mar 2010, 16:33 (Ref:2662811)   #33
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I did wonder if a short cut had been deployed to get such a gap in the HRSR grid, but the time itself didn't suprise me, its been done before by shall we say, hotter saloons, however even Dan Cox would've struggled to match that
Old 29 Mar 2010, 16:43 (Ref:2662827)   #34
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Thrill her with stories of how desperately dangerous single seaters are, then mention in an offhand sort of way that you quite fancy it really. Before you know it she'll have talked you into keeping the Merlyn

If she doesn't, then I wouldn't worry too much what she thinks...

Now that's a damn fine example of logic, if I may say so.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 17:59 (Ref:2662913)   #35
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5 View Post
Not a great day for me, the Elva FJ ran okay in the morning (as it had in the morning at Goodwood on Monday), although I spun at Brooklands and was unable to restart (men in orange: thanks for the assistance).

James

Thoroughly enjoyed helping our "visitors" as well as enjoying those of you who managed to keep going past our post

Just hope that the rest of the season maintains the standard of friendliness - we realise that you'd rather not be visiting us, but it was refreshing to be so appreciated. Over the years, I'm slowly forming the opinion that the age of the cars and that of the drivers (give or take the odd exception either way) has something to do with the level of courtesy we receive.

Also some excellent observation & change of line from drivers in race 2 whilst we were out in the middle of the black stuff - I'd love to see in car footage of how visible we were (or weren't!) as you approached us

Plenty of waves on the slow down lap too - highlight for me was looking back up to Priory to see a pair of clapping hands on the horizon grow into a single seater with a happy driver on board!!
Old 29 Mar 2010, 21:49 (Ref:2663076)   #36
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I did wonder if a short cut had been deployed to get such a gap in the HRSR grid, but the time itself didn't suprise me, its been done before by shall we say, hotter saloons, however even Dan Cox would've struggled to match that
A timing glitch, I think, Joe as it didn't get within 5 seconds of that time in the race, nor in the rest of practice.
Old 30 Mar 2010, 07:32 (Ref:2663258)   #37
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Going back a few posts, the DKW engined Elva was driven by Roger Dexter.
Old 30 Mar 2010, 07:49 (Ref:2663268)   #38
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well clearly 2 stroke DKW can be made to fly as I see he beat our star driver Comte de Graves... did many run in period?
Old 30 Mar 2010, 12:27 (Ref:2663445)   #39
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
well clearly 2 stroke DKW can be made to fly as I see he beat our star driver Comte de Graves... did many run in period?
Thanks for the plug Simon!

Actually it was Michael A-B who was driving. He says he is deeply ashamed of himself as he seems to recall beating this car at Goodwood last year. Furthermore the Elva-DKW was behind him on the grid but Michael says that a driver (who I do not know) named Terry Effwhit was having a picnic on the grid in front of him, rather than paying attention to the "do it yourself" griding and the red lights!