Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Dec 2010, 05:02 (Ref:2798436)   #51
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
Just because he's not your favourite doesn't mean he's not good.
No, he's not my favourite driver, but then, neither is Schumacher and i've never said he's not good.

I don't base my opinions on a driver depending on whether they're my favourite or not.

Want the best barometer of a driver? Look to see if they have been picked up by one of the top teams! He was on McLarens books yet they went for a rookie team mate instead? Signed for Williams, but they were declining (yet i admit that he beat Webber convincingly), reserve driver for Mercades etc etc. Sure he beat Kubica last season, but Kubica is the one who has been described by Martin Brundle as world class, never heard that said of Hiedfeld.

Fair play to Nick, he's raced in F1, he's made his millions and will never need to work again. He's no Rossett, Inoue, Mazzacane or Yamamoto, but then he ain't no Schumacher, Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton or Raikkonen either.
Old 2 Dec 2010, 09:15 (Ref:2798483)   #52
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I tend to agree with Mr V regarding Heidfeld. He's a solid midfield driver and a safe pair of hands, but anyone who thinks he's some sort of overlooked superstar is misguided.
Old 2 Dec 2010, 09:29 (Ref:2798491)   #53
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just like Kubica imo
Old 2 Dec 2010, 09:32 (Ref:2798492)   #54
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
Just like Kubica imo
The opposite I'd say.

Kubica will be world champion at some point.
Old 2 Dec 2010, 10:14 (Ref:2798513)   #55
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I'd put money on it.

.......... hmmm

Selby
Old 2 Dec 2010, 12:09 (Ref:2798567)   #56
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Disappointed by William's decision really. As I've said before, I find it funny for a driver who's essentially been part of the team for a couple of years now and who destroyed Maldonado in GP2 in 2009, has been dropped from the team.
I'm not so sure it was quite as simple as that though. In the early part of the season Nico couldn't get near him really, then there must've been a breakthrough on set up (and the opposite in fact for Pastor) as Hulkenberg suddenly became unbeatable and Maldonado became almost a complete also ran, in an ART car which was his worst season in his GP2 career.

I'm not suggesting He's better than Nico who has impressed greatly, but I don't think we know the full story there!

Let's see what he can do and if as Bella says he ends up being the new De Cesaris then at least we'll get some entertaining vieiwing and possible fisticuffs in the Paddock should he ruffle anyone's feathers with a rash move or ten!

What he needs to do is harness the basic speed and tenacity with consistency - that is the holy grail of any aspiring F1 driver really.
Old 2 Dec 2010, 13:13 (Ref:2798602)   #57
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I tend to agree with Mr V regarding Heidfeld. He's a solid midfield driver and a safe pair of hands, but anyone who thinks he's some sort of overlooked superstar is misguided.
I agree, but if you want a safe pair of hands, someone who won't damage the car but will bring it home in the points consistently, he's your man.

PS I agree about Kubica, too. He's already in my top 5 or 6.
Old 2 Dec 2010, 21:28 (Ref:2798821)   #58
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's a good solid midfield journeyman. Don't think he'd do a fantastic job in a proper front-running car because his pace would be shown up (as it was in 2008), but invaluable to a team like...hmm, maybe Sauber?

As for Maldonado, I think he'll surprise people. In a positive way. He doesn't have the burden of expectation on him like Hulkenberg had, so any good performances will get him extra praise, whereas with Nico it was expected because he's so highly rated. He does have potential - he's not a future world champion but he deserves a drive. It's just the circumstances that are a bit disappointing

Having said that, you can't say Hulkenberg isn't privileged - he had serious financial backing through his junior career and one of, if not the best manager in the business
Old 2 Dec 2010, 22:15 (Ref:2798846)   #59
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Because they've selected a driver with backing? Shame on almost every team in motorsport history then.
Formula One has always claimed to have the "best drivers" in the "best cars" on "the best tracks". Without wishing to sound older than I am, I just find it a shame that guys like Maldonado who are basically buying their way into seats get in when guys who statistics show are much better, get hung out to dry.

I've always respected Williams because they are proud of being racers. However bad things have been, they've always found a way to continue without having to resort to pay drivers. Sadly, that's changed with Maldonado.

Maybe I'm being too hard on him. I just don't seem him as anything other than a pay driver. What is the logic to get rid of somebody like Hulkenberg when statistics showed that he out performed Maldonado massively in '09 and has spent considerably less time in GP2 before moving to F1? I generally don't see that Williams have selected Maldonado from a pure talent perspective.

It's a shame that F1 teams have to resort to this sort of thing at the moment. I understand that F1 is a business now, but before the TV rights, the glamour, etc, etc, it was firstly a sport. Having pay drivers in the top level of motorsport just doesn't look good.

I just find it a disappointing moment. Maybe I'll be wrong after '11. Maybe Maldonado will suprise us all like Kobayashi did. I'm not holding out much hope on the latter point though.
Old 2 Dec 2010, 22:19 (Ref:2798851)   #60
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
It's a shame that F1 teams have to resort to this sort of thing at the moment. I understand that F1 is a business now, but before the TV rights, the glamour, etc, etc, it was firstly a sport. Having pay drivers in the top level of motorsport just doesn't look good.
F1 is now more meritocratic than ever. When the only confirmed 'pay driver' on the 2011 grid is the reigning GP2 champion I'm not sure we have much to worry about.
Old 2 Dec 2010, 22:21 (Ref:2798852)   #61
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Formula One has always claimed to have the "best drivers" in the "best cars" on "the best tracks".
It has?

If you believe this, you have quite a misguided view on what F1 actually is or "has always claimed to be"
Old 2 Dec 2010, 22:27 (Ref:2798856)   #62
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, on the majority, that is what it is described as, as well as "the pinnacle of motorsport".

You know, when "Formula One" is being mentioned in the same sentence as any of those phrases (or cliches) I personally don't expect buy riders to be on the grid, and I guess that a person who was totally new to Formula One wouldn't either.
Old 2 Dec 2010, 22:51 (Ref:2798867)   #63
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem is that Williams have lost Philips and RBS for next year. I'm sure they'd only sign a pay driver if they needed to, and their accountants know more about their financial situation than we do. Maldonando doesn't seem that bad anyway so it's not like they've really compromised who they are. I'd rather see this than Williams run out of money, loose staff and slip back toward the rear of the field.
Old 2 Dec 2010, 22:56 (Ref:2798869)   #64
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Yes, on the majority, that is what it is described as, as well as "the pinnacle of motorsport".

You know, when "Formula One" is being mentioned in the same sentence as any of those phrases (or cliches) I personally don't expect buy riders to be on the grid, and I guess that a person who was totally new to Formula One wouldn't either.
Then your expectations are wrong

For a start, every driver has to buy their way up from karting. What you get in the upper junior formulae are the drivers that have been able to get funding or backing of some kind to get them there. You can't do it on talent alone. The best driver in the world may never have made it out of karting - Ayrton Senna said his biggest and best rival was Terry Fullerton, who never made it out of karts

Beyond this, in F1 history, there has always been a sizeable paying presence. The majority of the grid up until the late 60s or early 70s was largely made up of wealthy amateurs. Even when you had bigger grids in the 80s most of the midfielders back were bringing sponsorship. Many of the drivers that we now consider to be solid midfielders were paying their way - someone like de Cesaris or, in later years, Alboreto, who both had Marlboro backing. Very few drivers up until the mid-90s truly earned their drives on merit - as Super Hans said, it is only really now, in the late 2000s, with the death of the minnow, that the majority did

Formula 1 was never founded to be the pinnacle. It was formed as an engine formula before the idea of a World Championship for Drivers ever emerged - and the idea of it being an engine formula suggests the manufacturers were a significant part of it. Even if you go pre-war, before F1 even existed, it was always about the manufacturers - we remember it as the Auto Union vs Mercedes era, not the Caracciola vs Rosemeyer era. It was always Driver X of Team Y, not necessarily Driver X on his own

This whole idea of F1 being the pinnacle is a modern construct that probably rose around the time Bernie and co turned the sport commercial. Certainly back in the 50s and 60s, if not lasting later, sportscar racing was equally important, if not more important if you consider Le Mans
Old 2 Dec 2010, 23:10 (Ref:2798874)   #65
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
The best driver in the world may never have made it out of karting - Ayrton Senna said his biggest and best rival was Terry Fullerton, who never made it out of karts.
It's almost certain that the most talented racing driver of all time has never even sat in a racing car.
Old 2 Dec 2010, 23:36 (Ref:2798881)   #66
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Now we're back to the days of Fangio when it was often said that the best driver in the world was probably an unknown taxi driver in Buenos Aires.

All we can discuss is the drivers who we have and there's an end of it.
Old 3 Dec 2010, 00:18 (Ref:2798894)   #67
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It's almost certain that the most talented racing driver of all time has never even sat in a racing car.
Now that is a very dangerous statement....
I don't want to create an argument but if he has never sat in a racing car how can he be a racing driver.....?
He races toys...? Then he is a toy racing driver, not a racing car driver...

However I would totally agree if you said 'the person who could have been or could be the most talented racing driver the world could ever have seen had never sat in a racing car....'
That is incredibly possible and may very well be absolutely true.
Old 3 Dec 2010, 00:57 (Ref:2798905)   #68
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I agree, but if you want a safe pair of hands, someone who won't damage the car but will bring it home in the points consistently, he's your man.

PS I agree about Kubica, too. He's already in my top 5 or 6.
Agreed, solid and unspectacular. He was always middle class, nothing more nothing less. Plus you have the Fisi type who looked spectacular in bad cars and ordinary in good ones.

The way Kubica drove this year, i'd put him higher than 5-6. You could almost make the arguement that he was the best driver this year. The top 5 were all in the best cars yet all made some ordinary mistakes throughout the year
Old 3 Dec 2010, 01:18 (Ref:2798908)   #69
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman16 View Post
Agreed, solid and unspectacular. He was always middle class, nothing more nothing less. Plus you have the Fisi type who looked spectacular in bad cars and ordinary in good ones.

The way Kubica drove this year, i'd put him higher than 5-6. You could almost make the arguement that he was the best driver this year. The top 5 were all in the best cars yet all made some ordinary mistakes throughout the year
Joe Saward argues Kubica was the best performer this year. He got more out of his car than anyone and made fewer mistakes.
Old 3 Dec 2010, 08:59 (Ref:2798973)   #70
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Joe Saward argues Kubica was the best performer this year. He got more out of his car than anyone and made fewer mistakes.
It's totally subjective based on his own opinion, which is fair enough, we're all allowed our tuppence worth.

However Joe rating Kubica ahead of the others is a bit like when people in the early 80's said Villeneuve was the best based on 'what he did with what he had.' (A view I usually take as well)

Again those kind of arguments have much merit but until said driver has his hands on a truly top car against a truly top teammate we can't really say Bob is the best.
Old 3 Dec 2010, 09:26 (Ref:2798976)   #71
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I actually think Rosberg was the driver of the year for me. Look what he did with all that pressure!

Plus, he made very little mistakes...

Selby
Old 3 Dec 2010, 12:51 (Ref:2799055)   #72
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Now we're back to the days of Fangio when it was often said that the best driver in the world was probably an unknown taxi driver in Buenos Aires.

All we can discuss is the drivers who we have and there's an end of it.
I agree. That's the point I was trying to make, in a roundabout way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
However I would totally agree if you said 'the person who could have been or could be the most talented racing driver the world could ever have seen had never sat in a racing car....'
That is incredibly possible and may very well be absolutely true.
That's what I meant. If it cost £10000+ a year for kids to play football, you'd not have heard of Wayne Rooney or Lionel Messi.
Old 3 Dec 2010, 14:32 (Ref:2799126)   #73
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
That's what I meant. If it cost £10000+ a year for kids to play football, you'd not have heard of Wayne Rooney or Lionel Messi.
You're right in general terms, but some of these sponsorship schemes pick up drivers when they are incredibly young. Two that I know of are Sergio Perez (Telmex) and Brendon Hartley (Red Bull). They were only about 14 or 15 when they were plucked from their home countries on the other side of the world and brought over to Europe.
Old 3 Dec 2010, 15:19 (Ref:2799138)   #74
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I actually think Rosberg was the driver of the year for me. Look what he did with all that pressure!

Plus, he made very little mistakes...

Selby
Yeah totally agree. How people can say that Kubica was the best driver given his equipment is anyones guess. Maybe his equipment was really, really good. I mean, even Petrov managed to haul that car around to a 6th place finish in one race. Maybe it just was a great car
Old 3 Dec 2010, 15:31 (Ref:2799140)   #75
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
Yeah totally agree. How people can say that Kubica was the best driver given his equipment is anyones guess.
I think it's 'cause he scored a trio of podiums and stuck it on the front row at Monaco despite the car clearly not being a match for Red Bull, Ferrari or McLaren.