Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Mar 2011, 13:30 (Ref:2842117)   #26
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post

If the question's legit, then the blue run-off is abrasive, and red even more so. According to Wikipedia, a skid in to the red stuff will almost certainly force a tyre change.

Selby
Yes. I never understood why this kind of surface variation isn't used elsewhere.
Old 8 Mar 2011, 13:35 (Ref:2842118)   #27
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Me too. I'd much rather see that than lots of plain black tarmac... Plus, it's a means of punishing the driver for running wide!

I think they have a few bits and pieces in Sepang and Bahrain, and it does certainly brighten the place up. Why do I feel like i'm talking more like a housewife trying to redecorate the living room...?! (not a sexist comment, I hope!)

Selby
Old 8 Mar 2011, 13:42 (Ref:2842122)   #28
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I think they have a few bits and pieces in Sepang and Bahrain, and it does certainly brighten the place up. Why do I feel like i'm talking more like a housewife trying to redecorate the living room...?! (not a sexist comment, I hope!)
you sound nothing like a housewife. you haven't mentioned "scatter cushions" once

i suppose it's valuable sponsor space in a couple of cases? putting down that kind of colour on the ground would probably reduce the visibility of a logo on top of it maybe.
Old 8 Mar 2011, 15:14 (Ref:2842172)   #29
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
you sound nothing like a housewife. you haven't mentioned "scatter cushions" once

i suppose it's valuable sponsor space in a couple of cases? putting down that kind of colour on the ground would probably reduce the visibility of a logo on top of it maybe.
And to think we're told that safety is paramount

See, I think we could really add some interesting colour to the outside of these horrible, dull roads... And while we're at it, a few scatter cushions around the tyre walls might brighten this silly track up!! Silly boys and they're silly cars!

Selby
Old 8 Mar 2011, 15:22 (Ref:2842174)   #30
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
Paul Ricard is just a testing facility these days, isn't it? Not much point in having a race if people can't go and watch it.
Selby's right they do have races there. This is the calendar for the year:

http://www.circuitpaulricard.com/calendar-c-2.html
Old 8 Mar 2011, 15:38 (Ref:2842177)   #31
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
It must just boil down to sponsorship then. Seems crazy.

Selby
Old 8 Mar 2011, 16:00 (Ref:2842186)   #32
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
See, I think we could really add some interesting colour to the outside of these horrible, dull roads... And while we're at it, a few scatter cushions around the tyre walls might brighten this silly track up!! Silly boys and they're silly cars!
why do they have to go in circles so many times. can't they just do it once? and get those drivers in a suit and tie for press conferences while we're at it. they look like they all need a good meal.

perhaps they could have the tarmac sponsored by ikea, put down some nice rugs and have some nice furniture for when they retire and for the marshals, and then give the tyres a nice lick of paint and get dulux to sponsor them
Old 8 Mar 2011, 16:08 (Ref:2842189)   #33
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Paul Ricard track is owned by Excelis, which in turn is owned by Bernie. So if the French GP were to be held at Paul Ricard, wouldn't Excelis have to pay the sanctioning fee?
Old 8 Mar 2011, 17:01 (Ref:2842211)   #34
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
perhaps they could have the tarmac sponsored by ikea, put down some nice rugs and have some nice furniture for when they retire and for the marshals, and then give the tyres a nice lick of paint and get dulux to sponsor them
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

I skim read that and saw another sponsor, I thought that they would sponsor what happens a few hours after a driver gets an extra mobile phone number on the walk to the podium ...

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic

Off topic comment alert

Dodgy jokes aside, F1 does under-exploit the sponsorship potential it has, but that's a side-point

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The Paul Ricard track is owned by Excelis, which in turn is owned by Bernie. So if the French GP were to be held at Paul Ricard, wouldn't Excelis have to pay the sanctioning fee?
Well, yes, but Excelis is one of Bernie's companies ...
Old 8 Mar 2011, 18:25 (Ref:2842252)   #35
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Bernie would have to fund the race out of pocket. Can't see that happening.
Old 8 Mar 2011, 19:32 (Ref:2842275)   #36
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
He would be indirectly paying for it himself via Excelis, however I think the problem with having the GP at Paul Ricard is that it potentially causes a conflict of interest, in that he stands to benefit from hosting the event as well as organising it and other track owners will see this as unfair.
Old 8 Mar 2011, 21:35 (Ref:2842334)   #37
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Bet it would be the lowest sanctioning fee of the season!
Old 8 Mar 2011, 23:08 (Ref:2842388)   #38
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
do we really know what the sanctioning fees are now days (rather what can BE get away with asking for)?

Montreal has is a deal with a reported fee of 15 million in Canadian dollars (around 11mil Euros). granted its in N.America and a sponsor and fan favorite but i would think places like the UK, Italy, Australia, Brazil, Japan, Germany all fall into that category and if they were able to renegotiate their deals in the current economic climate they would be able to negotiate much better deals for themselves.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 00:33 (Ref:2842425)   #39
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
In the aftermath of the Donnington GP saga, Silverstone managed to broker a 17 year with Ecclestone.

There is more detail of the deal here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/8397777.stm
Old 9 Mar 2011, 07:57 (Ref:2842519)   #40
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
So 12million pounds @ 7% compounded increase over 15 years = 33 million in final year - bargain.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 08:23 (Ref:2842530)   #41
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
He would be indirectly paying for it himself via Excelis, however I think the problem with having the GP at Paul Ricard is that it potentially causes a conflict of interest, in that he stands to benefit from hosting the event as well as organising it and other track owners will see this as unfair.
Run them all at Ricard....just change the layout and the background....Is that unfair?
Old 9 Mar 2011, 08:40 (Ref:2842541)   #42
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Run them all at Ricard....just change the layout and the background....Is that unfair?

Green F1! Save all the wasteful traveling.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 08:42 (Ref:2842543)   #43
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Well it would be to British GP, Italian GP, German GP, Spanish GP, Hungarian GP fans, who want to go to a GP in their own country.

I excluded Canada, as it is on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean and Monaco as they've got special dispensation on the fees because it is a very old established race; so much for the French GP, after all this is where it all started.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 05:45 (Ref:2843177)   #44
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Well it would be to British GP, Italian GP, German GP, Spanish GP, Hungarian GP fans, who want to go to a GP in their own country.

I excluded Canada, as it is on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean and Monaco as they've got special dispensation on the fees because it is a very old established race; so much for the French GP, after all this is where it all started.
Who said anything about spectators.... You'd save a fortune in grandstands and building spectator facilities.
The only spectators would be those who were associated with sponsors etc although Bernie could run a lottery for maybe a 1000 people per GP to come and rub shoulders with the paddock club.....
Another revenue stream...
There would be no general admission for anyone, they'd all have to watch it on TV........ whats unfair about that? Bernie would say they're all treated the same...
Old 10 Mar 2011, 06:16 (Ref:2843182)   #45
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Who said anything about spectators.... You'd save a fortune in grandstands and building spectator facilities.
The only spectators would be those who were associated with sponsors etc although Bernie could run a lottery for maybe a 1000 people per GP to come and rub shoulders with the paddock club.....
Another revenue stream...
There would be no general admission for anyone, they'd all have to watch it on TV........ whats unfair about that? Bernie would say they're all treated the same...
What's unfair is that those race fans who want to got to the actual event wouldn't be able to. I love going to Silverstone, TV will never capture the atmosphere or the sounds and smell.

Now if Bernie could incorporate a virtual televisual experience that captured the sounds and smells of being at a GP then I think your idea could be a winner and great source of revenue. Ticket prices could vary depending on what package you wanted, e.g. virtual grandstand being the cheapest, virtual pitwalkabout a little more, or virtual grandstand including starting grid walkabout with Martin Brundle even more still.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 07:16 (Ref:2843195)   #46
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
What's unfair is that those race fans who want to got to the actual event wouldn't be able to. I love going to Silverstone, TV will never capture the atmosphere or the sounds and smell.

Now if Bernie could incorporate a virtual televisual experience that captured the sounds and smells of being at a GP then I think your idea could be a winner and great source of revenue. Ticket prices could vary depending on what package you wanted, e.g. virtual grandstand being the cheapest, virtual pitwalkabout a little more, or virtual grandstand including starting grid walkabout with Martin Brundle even more still.
Well of course....you could dial up a pitwalk with DC for 75 Euros, Brundle a shade more at 125. For 250 you could share bernies private suite above the pits and have drinks with Max...virtually. The real experience would be 2500.

Its not unfair...you could attend..... for a price. How much would it be worth? $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Scarcity puts the price up endlessly.

You could also take virtual rides on practise days...The permutations are endless.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 07:34 (Ref:2843204)   #47
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Well of course....you could dial up a pitwalk with DC for 75 Euros, Brundle a shade more at 125. For 250 you could share bernies private suite above the pits and have drinks with Max...virtually. The real experience would be 2500.

Its not unfair...you could attend..... for a price. How much would it be worth? $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Scarcity puts the price up endlessly.

You could also take virtual rides on practise days...The permutations are endless.
They certainly are endless, you could buy a virtual seat with your favourite driver, I think this is a real winner. Also there is the Green aspect to consider, without hordes of spectators going to the race track, carbon footprints would be reduced, exhaust emissions reduced and fuel not wasted.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 22:34 (Ref:2843627)   #48
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
Off topic comment alert

I skim read that and saw another sponsor, I thought that they would sponsor what happens a few hours after a driver gets an extra mobile phone number on the walk to the podium ...

Off topic comment alert

Just had to share this little story. Once my wife saw a Old English Sheepdog and turned to me and said, "isn't that Durex dog cute?"

I nearly wet myself

If you're going virtual you might as well spend £40 on F1 2010/11 and get to drive the cars too!
Old 10 Mar 2011, 23:05 (Ref:2843664)   #49
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo View Post
If you're going virtual you might as well spend £40 on F1 2010/11 and get to drive the cars too!
Why not, that could be a further ticket option.

Also I was thinking why not have two multiple configuration tracks, one in the northern hemisphere and the other in the southern hemisphere, thereby extending the season and potentially having GPs all year round.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 23:30 (Ref:2843684)   #50
wnut
Veteran

"If you're going virtual you might as well spend £40 on F1 2010/11 and get to drive the cars too!" Bravo

Sounds good, can you overtake or is it impossible?