Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Mar 2011, 14:03 (Ref:2852492)   #51
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Bernard is professing his love for the new toy engines again:

http://en.espnf1.com/fia/motorsport/story/43949.html
Old 24 Mar 2011, 15:47 (Ref:2852533)   #52
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
The cars should be lighter (carrying 30 to 40% less fuel) which should make up for any bhp deficiencies.
For the race, yes. But the weight in qualifying is likely to be unchanged.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 16:13 (Ref:2852544)   #53
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post

Considering how well his own team did with 4 cylinder, 1500cc, turbocharged engines I can't see what his beef is.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2852678)   #54
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
For the race, yes. But the weight in qualifying is likely to be unchanged.
For me, the main difference with the new engines will be vast increase in torque. Not only at the top end of the rev range, but also at the mid and lower rev ranges as well, especially compared to a normally aspirated V8 or even a V10! Peak power isn't everything.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 21:30 (Ref:2852736)   #55
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post

"The competitors have got to race...."

Bernie is absolutely correct, I agree with every word.
He has built F1 as a commercial entity and the clown department should take notice!

The motor manufacturers did not make F1 what it is today and they are leading it up a blind alley!
Old 25 Mar 2011, 11:42 (Ref:2852969)   #56
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Peak power isn't everything.
you don't work in marketing do you!
Old 25 Mar 2011, 15:09 (Ref:2853094)   #57
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltb View Post
you don't work in marketing do you!
No. So it will probably always baffles me as to why truck manufacturers badge up their tractor units with maximum bhp figures when it's clearly the torque output that matters most.

We must buy that truck because it has 550bhp and that one only has 500bhp, not withstanding the fact that the 550bhp truck is as flat as a pancake below 1500rpm!

There's no doubt that bhp sells cars, but it's mainly torque that wins races.
Old 25 Mar 2011, 23:38 (Ref:2853298)   #58
cmotd
Racer

Australia
cmotd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No. So it will probably always baffles me as to why truck manufacturers badge up their tractor units with maximum bhp figures when it's clearly the torque output that matters most.

We must buy that truck because it has 550bhp and that one only has 500bhp, not withstanding the fact that the 550bhp truck is as flat as a pancake below 1500rpm!

There's no doubt that bhp sells cars, but it's mainly torque that wins races.
everybody knows what a horse is, no one has a clue what a torque is, or a newton meter, or a pound foot
Old 26 Mar 2011, 09:30 (Ref:2853417)   #59
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't noise will be a big issue, anyone ever heard Grp B? I think the biggest problem are the stupid FIA rules that dictate every engine should be about the same. And how quick the cars will be depends on FIA again, I have no doubt that this 1.6 liters could be a lot quicker, but the rules probably make them slower...

Also funny: moaning about Ferrari, while their most iconic cars are turbocharged: GTO & F40 anyone? And these only have bigger engines, less bhp and more weight than those new F1.

I think people think: "oh an 1.6 turbo that is like a 200 bhp you find on a road car these days". But an 1.6 turbo with 700 bhp should sound a lot different and make a lot more rpm...
Old 26 Mar 2011, 13:39 (Ref:2853510)   #60
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
I was talking about the 2013 engines. Why do you refer to the pre-1989 engines? It has no regard to my post. Besides, any comparison between the 2013 and pre-1989 engines is improper. The new power units are targeted to have somewhere near 580 bhp, assisted with a 150 bhp KERS for 60 seconds per lap. In other words: for almost half a lap on Spa-Francorchamps Formula 1 cars will, to today's standards, seriously lack engine power.
Except 2013 will also bring in new aerodynamic rules, specifically a lot more underbody downforce and much smaller wings (or maybe no wings at all, though that is probably a bit far-fetched ).

Less wings mean less drag which means the cars will need less power to reach the same speeds.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna