Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 6 Mar 2005, 13:33 (Ref:1244456)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Villeneuve: why is he bothering?

Late last season, I welcomed the return to F1 of Jacques Villeneuve. I never expected him to be on the pace straigtaway, yet he was rather dissapointing still. Don't worry though, he'll have a lot of running in winter testing and he'll be back on it in Melbourne with Sauber.

During winter testing, he was excruciatingly slow. You can never read too much into winter testing, but it did look worrying.

Then we get to Melbourne and the reality of the situation dawns.....

After spinning on his out and in laps in first qualifying, he still manages to start fourth. Nobody expects him to stay in the points, the Sauber is too slow. But he has a chance to show nicely.

Race kicks off, Villeneuve is swamped by all and sundry and is visibly slower than everything. He holds half of the pack up, a train of cars forming behind.

Alonso finally passes the Sauber roadblock and immediately runs about three minutes quicker per lap.

Villeneuve pits and the downward spiral begins. He is lapped by the people he was holding up and he finishes a mile behind Massa.

Jacques Villeneuve, 1997 World Champion. The fall from grace is painful to watch. I used to love watching him race, but the magic is gone, he's making up the numbers and he is past it. He looks out of place on track, he can't cut it anymore.

I really hope he improves, but I can't see it happening. Modern Formula 1 seems beyond him and even in 2003 he seemed a man in the wrong game. I can't see him lasting the season in all honesty......what a terrible end to a great career that would be.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 13:39 (Ref:1244462)   #2
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What would be more galling is the fact that Massa finished 4 places ahead eventhough he start last on the grid...
Old 6 Mar 2005, 13:39 (Ref:1244464)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shades of Mansell 1995?

He really looks out of place.

It's sad to see an ex-WDC being little more than a road-block.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 13:45 (Ref:1244471)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree ralf. From where Jacques started combined with his undoubted talent, he should have finished comfortably ahead of Massa. There is no doubt about that.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 13:51 (Ref:1244480)   #5
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His counter move with Alonso had shades of the old Jacques.

I like JV and hope this was just a bad race, lets see how he goes over the next few GP's. Today wasn't good.

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 6 Mar 2005, 13:52 (Ref:1244484)   #6
Formula1Fanatic
Rookie

England
Warrington
Formula1Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Villenueve has been a shadow of himself since winning the title. I feel he never recovered after he bad-mouthed Button who then out-paced him. Maybe he just getting used to the car
Old 6 Mar 2005, 14:24 (Ref:1244516)   #7
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Villenueve has been quite open about Massa having adapted easier to the new race system. I say give him until the European season before writing him off, afterall, he was the only world champion to finish the race...
Old 6 Mar 2005, 14:28 (Ref:1244520)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yes, finishing 14th is some achievement.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 14:32 (Ref:1244526)   #9
ssilviu
Rookie

Romania
Romania
ssilviu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the indian boy is far better than this canadian... the title won in 1997 is 100% car's credits

Last edited by ssilviu; 6 Mar 2005 at 14:34.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 14:33 (Ref:1244527)   #10
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
there are only 2 WDC's in the field and MS was on his way to pts.....so i dont see your point...

Last edited by ralf fan; 6 Mar 2005 at 14:34.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 14:47 (Ref:1244539)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Nobody expects him to stay in the points, the Sauber is too slow. But he has a chance to show nicely.
I have a problem with this. Why shouldn't we expect him to stay in the points? He's an ex WDC who was brought to Sauber to give them just that. Points and good finishes.

BTW, he also held up Button who, once past, was able to deal with Trulli much more easily. But by then it was too late for any kind of charge.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 14:52 (Ref:1244540)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm tempted to write him off - but doing such things has a tendency to come back and bite.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 14:53 (Ref:1244542)   #13
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
Well you cant blame him for holding up Button...it was for position... but he almost cost DC 4rth... i dont blame him really...the marshall's needed to be more aware of the lapping situation.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 14:57 (Ref:1244548)   #14
Steve57
Rookie

Australia
Adelaide
Steve57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Yes, finishing 14th is some achievement.

I believe JV's biggest problem this race was his tyre choice. From interveiws after the race it seems he picked the softer option tyres, thus the worsening performance after the first pitstop. His team-mate was on the harder option tyres, thus the result.

That is if you can believe what you hear.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 15:04 (Ref:1244556)   #15
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Welcome to the forum Steve57! He also had a long scrap with Alonso which probably hurt those softer tyres quite a bit.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1244566)   #16
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't see the race so i'm wondering,how did massa get past him?

I mean-was it from faster lap times or because JV made a mistake?
Old 6 Mar 2005, 15:37 (Ref:1244581)   #17
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This was he problem I feared. Jacques is a great driver, hence he's the 1997 champ, but I don't like seeing him racing in the middle of the pack, dropping back.
I remember saying a while a go, or something that I think if he doesn't score more than 10 points before Silverstone, than what's the point of him competing, maybe it was a little harsh, but I don't like seeing the ex champ racing with the Jordan's etc.
What's there to gain? Or prove?
Old 6 Mar 2005, 15:45 (Ref:1244588)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
I'm tempted to write him off - but doing such things has a tendency to come back and bite.
Very true and I am one of those with little time for him but in an attempt at balance I'll run with (welcome Steve) Steve57's statement. The trouble comes when we get the "I chose the harder tyres and they slowed me" argument.

Anyway it is too early to tell and he's got 18 more chances to redeem himself this year.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 16:22 (Ref:1244625)   #19
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I dunno... His launch wasn't that bad, he was just put out a bit and forced back. I've seen it happen to good drivers. Early to midway he was a road block, but his pace was probably close to what the car should have been running and Alonso had the fastest car. Then we didn't see much of him, he wasn't anywhere close to the pace and he got smoked. What the heck happened there? I don't know. Tires, maybe, but Trulli and JPM dropped way of the pace and they didn't drop to 14th.

His first half performance doesn't deserve the critisism he's gotten here, so I'm still reserving some judgement.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 16:24 (Ref:1244629)   #20
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just found some fastest laptime stats-it doesn't look good
Massa was near a full second faster that JV
Old 6 Mar 2005, 16:24 (Ref:1244630)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

The tyres thing is irrelevant, he was slow from start to finish.

I've had a look at the re-run on ITV and he's disastrously bad on the first lap, he seems so much slower than everyone else. As if he's asleep.

It's bad to write people off too soon I know, but he performed like this in the renault.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 16:42 (Ref:1244648)   #22
Elton Julian
Rookie

Elton Julian should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what some of you are saying is that JV has only ever been better or as good as Damon Hill and HHF? IMO it seems to me that as the cars have become more technical to drive things have become more difficult for JV. Being brave is no longer enough. Slow speed corners are more important than ever and he has always had problems there. A serious karting backround helps.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 16:49 (Ref:1244653)   #23
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not going to write off JV yet. He didn't show much in the race other than a nice counter move on Alonso. A bad start but I'm not sure if he was just being very careful as he did not force the issue with anyone. He actually got pushed almost off the track.

As to first qualifying he was the first one out on dry tires (maybe too soon). Hard to be critical of the spin when nobody knew the limits of the dry tires especially when the wet spots were apparently hard to see.

JV is a very different person in the press (or maybe the press are reporting it differently). He gives kudos to MS and others. He acknowledges that he is having a difficult time with the car and that the he has to adapt to it.

Hopefully he will otherwise he is just a field-filler.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1244658)   #24
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Consdiering the advantage he got from qualifying, he surely should have done more over the course of the race. The Sauber's clearly a reasonable car, and Massa got to grips with it much more strongly. Still, remember that Massa started strongly enough to outpace Fisichella in the first ocuple of races last season, and that came to nought, so maybe JV can find form. For now, he is something of an embarassment, especially compared to DC.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1244668)   #25
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Certainly wasn't a great first race in the Sauber for JV, but it's clear he still hasn't adapted to the cars and rules of 2005...

But I'm not going to write him off just yet. But I have a feeling Massa will end his Grand Prix career.