Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Mar 2011, 12:31 (Ref:2846122)   #26
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
It was pure speculation in 2007, you know?
one could say 'Remarkable foresight'
(and yes I had missed the date of earlier posts!)
Old 15 Mar 2011, 13:40 (Ref:2846172)   #27
Greenback1
Rookie

Greenback1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With SF around, I think there is a good chance Lewis will leave Mclaren the way Beckham leave ManU for Real Madrid.
Old 15 Mar 2011, 17:49 (Ref:2846347)   #28
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I can hardly wait for Lewis's first CD to come out!
Speedy Spice?
Old 15 Mar 2011, 19:17 (Ref:2846383)   #29
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback1 View Post
With SF around, I think there is a good chance Lewis will leave Mclaren the way Beckham leave ManU for Real Madrid.
You could be right. Perhaps McLaren just aren't a 'happening' team at the moment?
Old 15 Mar 2011, 20:03 (Ref:2846433)   #30
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know another driver who finished P2 in his first year after a nice intra-team battle, and WDC in his second in a dramatic final race. The third year? Car was off, fell to P5. This driver dabbled in music, television/movies, etc.; very brand-oriented. His manager helped get him out of a struggling team and into a new one, and then they went off to NASCAR (rumored to be Lewis' retirement plan)...

Funny that we all thought we had seen the second coming of Senna after Hamilton's first race, and really, we just got the second coming of Jacques Villeneuve.
Old 15 Mar 2011, 21:22 (Ref:2846482)   #31
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
I know another driver who finished P2 in his first year after a nice intra-team battle, and WDC in his second in a dramatic final race. The third year? Car was off, fell to P5. This driver dabbled in music, television/movies, etc.; very brand-oriented. His manager helped get him out of a struggling team and into a new one, and then they went off to NASCAR (rumored to be Lewis' retirement plan)...

Funny that we all thought we had seen the second coming of Senna after Hamilton's first race, and really, we just got the second coming of Jacques Villeneuve.

Beware thread will explode!
Old 15 Mar 2011, 23:47 (Ref:2846558)   #32
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lol this is funny. He may as well add Simon Cowell to his entourage and throw in a few rappers and Hollywood celebs and everyone can have a big party!

Bad move, he should have kept his dad. Hamilton is really into mixing with the celebs and I cant help thinking that will be a big distraction. This season will be the testing one for him as the Mclaren seems like a dog. Can he help Button and bring it back to the front of the grid?
Old 16 Mar 2011, 13:06 (Ref:2846784)   #33
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, having a manager with years of experience is definitely terrible for him.

I cannot see how this is bad at all. Everyone commented on how daft it was having his dad around all the time, then he gets rid and everyone says he should come back.

Personally, I think they should not have managers at all as it seems a bit of a money drain. But they are the next best option IMO and Simon Fuller is a renowned and successful manager.

Is Hamilton into mixing with celebs? Maybe, I don't know, but he has plenty of opportunity for that anyways given his girlfriend is one.
Old 16 Mar 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2846979)   #34
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
LH: 'So, how are negotiations going?'

SF: 'Well, we've got you into the next series of 'Strictly Come Dancing', so you may have to put off other less important things to do that. We've also got you into an episode of East Enders, where you'll be playing a streetwise gangster. Oh, and Lewis..how's your singing voice?'.
Just stick to one liners mate.
Old 20 Mar 2011, 13:29 (Ref:2850039)   #35
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Cool. Then he can come over to the states to give open wheel racing a boost like Beckham did with soccer*(come over to boost, not actually boost).

*I only say "soccer" because I'm refering to the game played in America, from an American perspective. Football is insanely popular in Europe and in the US (as a different game). To imply that "football" was unpopular in or out of the US would be uterly ridiculous. I use "soccer" for context and clarity and nothing more. It was not wish in anyway to offend the beautiful game or spark WWIII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post

A disturbing parallel. Since JV was back the whole time, maybe this will kill the 'JV is coming back' threads.
Old 20 Mar 2011, 15:07 (Ref:2850058)   #36
Greenback1
Rookie

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90056

Hamilton: 'One or two titles insufficient'

Looks like Mclaren will need to find a replacement soon.
Old 20 Mar 2011, 16:57 (Ref:2850109)   #37
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Looks like Mclaren will need to find a replacement soon.
Assuming that he finds somewhere else to go, that is.

Ferrari don't need a distraction for their number 1 driver, and Red Bull are probably thinking that way too. Any other team would just be a step backwards.

And it seems that even Hamilton is perfectly happy to stay with McLaren according to that article.

Autosport.

But Hamilton was quick to emphasise that while he still wanted to achieve significantly more success in F1, he saw no reason why he would have to switch teams to accomplish his goals.

"Look at the history of McLaren," he said. "They are an incredible team. I haven't been to other factories, but McLaren have some of the greatest people I have ever met in the team.

"The way they treat their drivers is fantastic. It is a great place to go to work and I feel privileged to be part of the team. They are fighters and I am a fighter."
Old 21 Mar 2011, 01:35 (Ref:2850351)   #38
Greenback1
Rookie

Quote:
Assuming that he finds somewhere else to go, that is.

Ferrari don't need a distraction for their number 1 driver, and Red Bull are probably thinking that way too. Any other team would just be a step backwards.

And it seems that even Hamilton is perfectly happy to stay with McLaren according to that article.

Autosport.

But Hamilton was quick to emphasise that while he still wanted to achieve significantly more success in F1, he saw no reason why he would have to switch teams to accomplish his goals.

"Look at the history of McLaren," he said. "They are an incredible team. I haven't been to other factories, but McLaren have some of the greatest people I have ever met in the team.

"The way they treat their drivers is fantastic. It is a great place to go to work and I feel privileged to be part of the team. They are fighters and I am a fighter."

I actually think the Lewis could leave Mclaren in 2012 and also reunite with Alonso at Ferrari as I dont think Massa can secure another year at Ferrari or RBR will need a high profile and expensive driver like Lewis to boost their marketing campaign for Red Bull.

Why Ferrari want Lewis?
1) They want Lewis switch from MP4-12C to a Ferrari. A great way to defend itself against Mclaren.
2) Ferrari needs to win back the constructor championship with 2 WDC drivers.
3) Lewis Alonso pairing will generate huge amount of press attention, which will give Ferrari the needed marketing boost

Why Lewis will join Ferrari
1) Its every driver's dream to drive a Ferrari one day
2) To be the best in his era he needs to win WDC and to prevent Alonso from winning his 3rd. Best way to go around it? To win it at Alonso's backyard.
3) Ferrari can afford and is willing to pay it.

As for Lewis being happy at Mclaren? I honestly doubt so, because the main motivation of a competitive driver like Lewis should be winning WDC and Mclaren just can't deliver the package for him at the moment. To be remembered as the best, he will need to start clocking race wins and WDC soon.

"I haven't been to other factories" - This statement itself is a clear indication that Lewis is aware that, there is an ocean beyond the pond at MTC.

And I am pretty sure Simon Fuller is going to make a big entrance into Formula 1 circus by brokering the biggest deal in F1 history.

Last edited by Greenback1; 21 Mar 2011 at 01:41.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 02:35 (Ref:2850368)   #39
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
It was plain to see in Brazil 08 that Ferrari couldn't give a flying *^;! about the constructors championship, and nor do any of the other top teams if they're honest about it! Most, if not all of the prestige comes from the drivers championship.

No. I think that you'll find Ferrari are perfectly happy with the way things are right now. Things work well for them when they have a definite number 1 and a side-kick. Probably even more so now that team orders are back on the menu again.

As for Lewis. I think he's a McLaren man through and through. Changing teams could be the worst thing he ever does. If anyone gets a shot at driving for Ferrari, it will be Vettel, and Alonso will have to be polishing a lot more trophies when that day finally arrives. In the meantime, s**t happens!

Last edited by Marbot; 21 Mar 2011 at 02:44.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 03:27 (Ref:2850375)   #40
Greenback1
Rookie

Quote:
It was plain to see in Brazil 08 that Ferrari couldn't give a flying *^;! about the constructors championship, and nor do any of the other top teams if they're honest about it! Most, if not all of the prestige comes from the drivers championship.

No. I think that you'll find Ferrari are perfectly happy with the way things are right now. Things work well for them when they have a definite number 1 and a side-kick. Probably even more so now that team orders are back on the menu again.

As for Lewis. I think he's a McLaren man through and through. Changing teams could be the worst thing he ever does. If anyone gets a shot at driving for Ferrari, it will be Vettel, and Alonso will have to be polishing a lot more trophies when that day finally arrives. In the meantime, s**t happens!
Any Mclaren fans will probably agree with you that WCC is nothing compare to WDC cause that wil make Mclaren, who currently has 2 WDC drivers and NO WCC in the past 14 years, look like the most successful team on the grid.

AFAIK, the WCC is the biggest prize money for F1 team, and team doesnt get a cut of the bernie TV revnue for winning he WDC. hence I dont think there are any reason to believe that F1 teams are not intersted in winning the WCC. This is just as good as saying, Premium league teams are only competing for the golden boots award, rather than league championship.

Honestly I think Lewis will probably become the dumbest WDC in F1 history if he finish his career at Mclaren with 1 WDC.

No doubt Vettel will eventually drive for Ferrari at some point, but I honestly doubt it will be in the next 2 to 3 years as he has just renewed his contract with RBR and the team is at its peak at the moment.

I reckon that the biggest nightmare for any Mclaren fan would be to see Lewis leave for Ferrari. Just like what happen when Beckham leave ManU for Real Marid.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 07:16 (Ref:2850409)   #41
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Ferrari already have Alonso, and I am pretty sure he and they by association would want nothing at all to do with Hamilton. Alonso has been there and done that, and the experience wasn't all good!
Old 21 Mar 2011, 07:27 (Ref:2850413)   #42
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Williams pretty clearly favour the WCC over the WDC. They've allowed world champions to leave them without compunction.

Ferrari don't need the WCC and its extra prize money, or at least didn't, given their FIA subsidy.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 07:54 (Ref:2850416)   #43
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
Williams pretty clearly favour the WCC over the WDC. They've allowed world champions to leave them without compunction.

Ferrari don't need the WCC and its extra prize money, or at least didn't, given their FIA subsidy.

Yeah and look where losing those drivers got them.
They have gone backwards with leaps and bounds!
Old 21 Mar 2011, 08:40 (Ref:2850433)   #44
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
The top teams expect to do reasonably well anyway with regards to the constructors championship. Finishing in the top three or four will see them scoop up a decent amount of dosh. But they would all be willing to sacrifice a few of Bernies millions for the many more millions (in sales and sponsorship etc) that the drivers championship will bring them.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 11:26 (Ref:2850504)   #45
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I care very little about who manages Lewis Hamilton but I do care enough to type out this comment.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 14:06 (Ref:2850589)   #46
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I think the fact this is still a hot topic shows that we've completely run out of steam C'mon F1!!!

Selby
Old 21 Mar 2011, 14:26 (Ref:2850605)   #47
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Managerless driver links up with manager. Earth continues to rotate.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 20:44 (Ref:2850796)   #48
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Yeah and look where losing those drivers got them.
They have gone backwards with leaps and bounds!
Not in 1982, or 1987 (in the long term), or 1993, or 1994, or 1997.

BMW not having a Scooby had more to do with that.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 20:51 (Ref:2850801)   #49
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
Not in 1982, or 1987 (in the long term), or 1993, or 1994, or 1997.

BMW not having a Scooby had more to do with that.
BMW not having a Subaru??!!!

Explain!
Old 22 Mar 2011, 01:49 (Ref:2850933)   #50
Greenback1
Rookie

Quote:
The top teams expect to do reasonably well anyway with regards to the constructors championship. Finishing in the top three or four will see them scoop up a decent amount of dosh. But they would all be willing to sacrifice a few of Bernies millions for the many more millions (in sales and sponsorship etc) that the drivers championship will bring them.

I would have to disagree on that. A top team who spend hundreds of million per season will never be statisfied with the team finishing 2nd or 3rd because people only cares and remember the champions. nobody really cares or remember who finishes 2nd 3rd or 4th.

And from a sponsor's perspective, I believe I have not seen any major F1 sponsors running a marketing campaign to celebrate their 2nd or 3rd position on the grid. Why wont winning the WCC attract more sponsors or even the most marketable drivers to the team?

As for WDC vs WCC, I would say that from a team perspective, the WCC is still the ultimate prize and motivation for the employees back in the factory because the WCC stays with the team, not the WDC.