Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Mar 2011, 02:18 (Ref:2850944)   #51
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback1 View Post
I would have to disagree on that. A top team who spend hundreds of million per season will never be statisfied with the team finishing 2nd or 3rd because people only cares and remember the champions. nobody really cares or remember who finishes 2nd 3rd or 4th.

And from a sponsor's perspective, I believe I have not seen any major F1 sponsors running a marketing campaign to celebrate their 2nd or 3rd position on the grid. Why wont winning the WCC attract more sponsors or even the most marketable drivers to the team?

As for WDC vs WCC, I would say that from a team perspective, the WCC is still the ultimate prize and motivation for the employees back in the factory because the WCC stays with the team, not the WDC.

The truth of the matter is that nobody cares who the WCC is, the drivers title dominates. Any team that wins the WCC and misses out on the WDC has ultimately lost the main game with the fastest car! Just ask Williams.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 02:36 (Ref:2850951)   #52
Greenback1
Rookie

Greenback1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
The truth of the matter is that nobody cares who the WCC is, the drivers title dominates. Any team that wins the WCC and misses out on the WDC has ultimately lost the main game with the fastest car! Just ask Williams.

No offense, but that sound BS to me because if nobody cares, why is TV revenue sharing at based on constructor finish, why teams like Mclaren even aiming to to finish 2nd or 3rd on the WCC, and why would car manufacturers even bother about participate in F1 or investing in technology?

IMO the driver just an extention of the team and the WDC is a consolution prize that usually comes along with the WCC.

Just ask any Mclaren fans for have never tasted a WCC for the past 14 years, and they will agree with you.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 02:50 (Ref:2850955)   #53
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Without trying to be glib about it, I did not know that yet I could name the WDCs for that whole period and further off the top of my head......
Old 22 Mar 2011, 07:31 (Ref:2851003)   #54
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
BMW not having a Subaru??!!!

Explain!
Scooby Doo = clue. Cor blimey, you're in a right 2 and 8.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 08:40 (Ref:2851034)   #55
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Without trying to be glib about it, I did not know that yet I could name the WDCs for that whole period and further off the top of my head......
Most people can only remember who it was that won the drivers championship, very few can recall which team won the constructors championship from a few years ago.

Ferrari won it in 2008, but judging by their emotions at the time, you would have thought that someone had just shot the pope.

Alonso is there to bring back winning ways to Ferrari, and neither he nor Ferrari are that much interested in the constructors championship. That's Felipe's job!
Old 22 Mar 2011, 08:54 (Ref:2851042)   #56
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
No offense, but that sound BS to me because if nobody cares, why is TV revenue sharing at based on constructor finish, why teams like Mclaren even aiming to to finish 2nd or 3rd on the WCC, and why would car manufacturers even bother about participate in F1 or investing in technology?

IMO the driver just an extention of the team and the WDC is a consolution prize that usually comes along with the WCC.

Just ask any Mclaren fans for have never tasted a WCC for the past 14 years, and they will agree with you.
Of course the teams care about winning the WCC but the WDC is the priority for almost all of them. Williams are the only team I know of who seem to prioritise the WCC.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 09:58 (Ref:2851076)   #57
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Lewis Hamilton:

“Red Bull are not a manufacturer, they are a drinks company. It’s a drinks company versus McLaren/Ferrari history. I don’t know what their plan is. Our team is building to become a bigger manufacturer, like Ferrari, and I can only see our team being there for a ridiculous amount of time. It is a pure-bred racing team.”

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011...lewis-hamilton

So, probably not going there either then?
Old 22 Mar 2011, 10:43 (Ref:2851104)   #58
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
It makes me laugh when people describe RBR as 'a drinks company' in such a derogatory manner.

They're currently the best racing team in F1.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 11:01 (Ref:2851115)   #59
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
It makes me laugh when people describe RBR as 'a drinks company' in such a derogatory manner.

True. But it must really irk the likes of Ferrari and McLaren that not only do they get beat by a 'soft drinks company', but they also got beat by another car manufacturer that is famed for building small, cheap family runarounds and also a colourful clothing company. Not to mention being beaten by a team that was close to not turning up at all!
Old 22 Mar 2011, 13:05 (Ref:2851207)   #60
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not only do they have the best team, they've been very successful in racing, period.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 13:21 (Ref:2851216)   #61
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I'm sure that the Red Bull Racing engineers find this pretty insulting too. They're no more a soft drinks company than McLaren are a mobile phone network, that's just where the money has come from...
(I'm also sure that calling them a 'Soft Drinks Company' is a way of demenaing them by another team, the same way that Ferrari are sometimes referred to as 'The Red Team').
Old 22 Mar 2011, 14:40 (Ref:2851280)   #62
Greenback1
Rookie

Quote:
Of course the teams care about winning the WCC but the WDC is the priority for almost all of them. Williams are the only team I know of who seem to prioritise the WCC.

Here is an quote from Christian Horner after winning the WCC last yaer.

Quote:
So from a team perspective it has been a fantastic year - and the icing on the cake would be to claim the drivers’ championship. The constructors’ is the big one for the team - it is how the different departments measure themselves against their competitors. Whether it is aerodynamics, manufacturing, upgrade ability or pit stops. So the constructors’ actually is the bigger championship. The drivers’ title is the one that carries the prestige and the public remembers most. Ultimately they have a very similar value to the team.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 14:43 (Ref:2851281)   #63
Greenback1
Rookie

the drink company didnt just win both championships and win it in style and in the spirit of fair play.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 14:44 (Ref:2851282)   #64
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
I personally don't believe him - do you? I've said it before and I'll say it again: McLaren wrapped up the WDC at Brazil '08, and Ferrari secured the WCC. One team boss cried tears of joy, the other smashed up his television in a rage. Which was which?
Old 22 Mar 2011, 15:53 (Ref:2851323)   #65
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
I personally don't believe him - do you? I've said it before and I'll say it again: McLaren wrapped up the WDC at Brazil '08, and Ferrari secured the WCC. One team boss cried tears of joy, the other smashed up his television in a rage. Which was which?
Nail on head.

It's hard to believe anything that anyone says in F1 these days. But actions still speak louder than words.

I remember that the Red Bull WCC celebrations were a somewhat muted affair in...Brazil...I think it was.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 20:02 (Ref:2851451)   #66
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Ferrari don't NEED to prioritize the WCC, because they get the bonus money regardless.

And Hamilton is right about Red Bull. RBR is a different fish of kettles. Maybe he's thinking along Benetton lines - once all those woolly jumpers were unfolded, Benetton left and the team might have been in limbo had Renault not stepped up. You can see the problems they've had after Renault withdrew.
Old 23 Mar 2011, 05:44 (Ref:2851638)   #67
Greenback1
Rookie

Quote:
For a team who have been through a title drought of almost 10 years, of winning any title will of course be special as oppose to a team that is so use to winning both the WCC and WDC.
Old 23 Mar 2011, 08:59 (Ref:2851693)   #68
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
For a team who have been through a title drought of almost 10 years, of winning any title will of course be special as oppose to a team that is so use to winning both the WCC and WDC.
That's true, but I still don't agree that teams value the WCC more than the WDC. We'll have to agree to disagree on that.
Old 23 Mar 2011, 18:51 (Ref:2852037)   #69
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is more important because McLaren haven't won one for a bit and there is an agenda going back years.

Last edited by Adam43; 23 Mar 2011 at 18:53. Reason: removing a typo1