Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Aug 2017, 13:24 (Ref:3761177)   #51
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Ford Mustang has the wrong number of doors, so it is also out of the question.
I take issue with that. Why the negativity about 2 door cars in our premier series? The 4 door rule, along with other limitations at the time, was brought in because Ford and Holden wanted a 2 make series, and wrote the rules to lock out everything that was fwd or awd; 2 door, any engine configuration that wasn't a 5 litre OHV V8, and set wheelbase limitations. Both Ford and Holden were getting good sales volume, and threw money at most of the teams, or supported them with parts.

Obviously, over time, those eligibility rules were relaxed - Ford were fitting OHC motors in the road cars, and the VE was outside the wheelbase regs. Falcon and Commodore sales were plunging, and the factories withdrew a good amount of funding. So we get COTF, and the fwd conversions to the Volvo and the Altima. Now Volvo are gone, Ford is there in name only, and we have Gen 2 on the scene.

Falcon is dead; the Commodore is changing. There is simply no need for the 4 door rule any more. I can only assume the anti 2 door brigade are perhaps younger fans that have only known the 4 door racers; perhaps some others still have a grudge against the R32 GT-Rs.

But to take that approach is to ignore the great history of 2 door cars in our Touring car history. From Production Cars, to Improved Production, Group C and then Group A there have been many. From Ian Geoghegan’s ’65 Mustang we have also had the Bathurst winning Mini (1966), Holden giving us the HK 327 and HT 350 Monaros, then the XU1s and A9X Hatchbacks, Ford with the XA/XB/XC Falcon Coupes, Valiant Chargers, Mazda RX7s, BMW 635s, Jaguar XJS, Alfetta GTV, the 80’s Mustangs and Sierras that Ford ran when they didn’t have a suitable Falcon. Nissan of course had the 240K, DR30, HR31, and R32 Skylines as well as the 1200 Coupe in class racing. I’m sure there would be others, hell, I even remember cheering on Allan Grice around Bathurst in a Fiat 124 Sports! My hero then, because I had one (or three). Yes, there are successful 4 door cars in those history books too – Bob Jane’s Jag, the Falcon GTHOs, 4 door Toranas, VB-VP Commodores, and the Datsun Bluebird turbos all come to mind.

Absolutely no reason to ban 2 door cars - just keep the 4 seat rule.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 16:04 (Ref:3761210)   #52
GM10
Veteran

Italy
Mantua
GM10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I live in Italy and I started watching Supercars only in 2015, so I apologize in advance if I will write incorrect things because maybe I still don't know some dynamics.

Here in Italy, national championships are quite ignored and circuits are quite empty during the ACI-CSAI weekends, even if we have totally free tickets. I let you imagine what the situation would be like if we also had to pay in order to see races. It's depressing.

So, in watching Supercars I was fascinated by the amount of public coming to the circuits. I remember that in 2015, at Pukekohe, there were 115.000 people attending the event. I'm talking about an Australian series coming to New Zealand. Amazing, IMHO. If an Italian championship comes to Austria for a race weekend, the attendance will be zero and also race grids will be shorter! Maybe that's why I started watching Supercars and why I love it so much.

And then I read the article posted at the beginning of this thread. I'm a bit surprised. I thought that Supercars was amazing, but you are talking about a struggling series and less attendance on the circuits. Probably my vision is distorted for the reasons I explained above...

I will not talk at length about TV coverage, because I watch races delayed on Mondays or Tuedsays, except for some races, so I don't have problems concerning pay TV or somewhat. But I think that the TV crew is amazing: races are very well explained, the commentary is exciting, the pit lane interviews are appropriate and punctual. I really appreciate them, because they motivate someone who lives so far in following the championship. Here in Italy, this thing doesn't exist. Races are quite badly broadcasted, because Italian TV channels always have to talk about football (soccer, if you prefer...).

I know that Australians have a particular addiction for V8 engines. I love them too, here in Europe there was the Superstars Series years ago, with V8 engines, and I really loved it. But I also think that V8 engines are not the future. V6 turbo is more suitable for the market and, as said by "V8 Fireworks", it gives more chance to have different cars on the grid. V6 turbo cars are surely "worse-looking" and "worse-hearing" than V8, but you have to think about the wellness of the championship also: the important thing, for a touring car series, is to guarantee a proper number of cars (25-30) and exciting races, I think that this type of cars will suit these characteristics. You also have a great number of well-known drivers, I think you'll watch Supercars more gladly if you think that Whincup, Lowndes, McLaughlin, SVG, Mostert, Frosty etc. are in, they will always offer a great show.

Dear Australian friends, maybe you have to consider yourselves lucky because your championship rocks and I think it will still rock in the future. From far away to you, I don't think Supercars has lost its relevance at all.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 19:25 (Ref:3761250)   #53
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
As per the topic, I think Supercars really needs to gear itself towards being sustainable without manufacturer involvement.
^^^ Bingo.

Less reliance on manufacturers means rules and regs can be structed around competitors needs/wants. Surely when only two teams really get factory support its time to admit we could do without them and their "requirements".

Take Motocross. I've raced/been involved for longer than I care to say. The big regulation change from 2 stroke to 4 stroke was done as manufacturers wanted to sell 4 strokes. Problem is, gate numbers have gone steadily downward ever since - mid to low level teams can't afford maintenance on the highly strung 4, let alone the cost of making the motor competitive. Now, all you'll hear about is the need to go back to the cheaper/simpler racing to boost numbers and I think it definitely would help. 80% of manufacturers don't sell 2 bangers though so...
Old 23 Aug 2017, 21:30 (Ref:3761268)   #54
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I can only see what's being quoted, but Jesus Christ...

As per the topic, I think Supercars really needs to gear itself towards being sustainable without manufacturer involvement.
Agree.

NASCAR made this a goal in the early 70's even if complete withdrawal of manufacturer support has not ever happened.

Supercars needs to create a set of regulations that can be supported by the racing budget of one or two major sponsors. Today majority of the field is covered by multiple sponsors to a degree we have not seen before.

Think back over the history of the sport and most teams ran with one major sponsor and a small handful of secondary sponsors or trade support.

Therefore any future regulations must consider what a sponsor is willing to spend. If that is, for example, $1.5 million per year, then that is what they need to aim for to ensure the long term sustainability of the sport.

If that means we see the teams running cars such as those in the TA2 series with significantly reduced overheads then so be it.

But whatever the outcome, set a target budget that the teams can meet with one major sponsor and a few secondaries and you have a sustainable series.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 21:42 (Ref:3761269)   #55
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I live in Italy and I started watching Supercars only in 2015, so I apologize in advance if I will write incorrect things because maybe I still don't know some dynamics.

Here in Italy, national championships are quite ignored and circuits are quite empty during the ACI-CSAI weekends, even if we have totally free tickets. I let you imagine what the situation would be like if we also had to pay in order to see races. It's depressing.

So, in watching Supercars I was fascinated by the amount of public coming to the circuits. I remember that in 2015, at Pukekohe, there were 115.000 people attending the event. I'm talking about an Australian series coming to New Zealand. Amazing, IMHO. If an Italian championship comes to Austria for a race weekend, the attendance will be zero and also race grids will be shorter! Maybe that's why I started watching Supercars and why I love it so much.

And then I read the article posted at the beginning of this thread. I'm a bit surprised. I thought that Supercars was amazing, but you are talking about a struggling series and less attendance on the circuits. Probably my vision is distorted for the reasons I explained above...

I will not talk at length about TV coverage, because I watch races delayed on Mondays or Tuedsays, except for some races, so I don't have problems concerning pay TV or somewhat. But I think that the TV crew is amazing: races are very well explained, the commentary is exciting, the pit lane interviews are appropriate and punctual. I really appreciate them, because they motivate someone who lives so far in following the championship. Here in Italy, this thing doesn't exist. Races are quite badly broadcasted, because Italian TV channels always have to talk about football (soccer, if you prefer...).

I know that Australians have a particular addiction for V8 engines. I love them too, here in Europe there was the Superstars Series years ago, with V8 engines, and I really loved it. But I also think that V8 engines are not the future. V6 turbo is more suitable for the market and, as said by "V8 Fireworks", it gives more chance to have different cars on the grid. V6 turbo cars are surely "worse-looking" and "worse-hearing" than V8, but you have to think about the wellness of the championship also: the important thing, for a touring car series, is to guarantee a proper number of cars (25-30) and exciting races, I think that this type of cars will suit these characteristics. You also have a great number of well-known drivers, I think you'll watch Supercars more gladly if you think that Whincup, Lowndes, McLaughlin, SVG, Mostert, Frosty etc. are in, they will always offer a great show.

Dear Australian friends, maybe you have to consider yourselves lucky because your championship rocks and I think it will still rock in the future. From far away to you, I don't think Supercars has lost its relevance at all.
Thnaks for taking time to post GM 10. We are indeed fortunate to have a series we can watch, even those that are negative about our series still tend to watch at least some of our races and even attend some
Old 23 Aug 2017, 23:00 (Ref:3761281)   #56
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
mceci1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post

I take issue with that. Why the negativity about 2 door cars in our premier series? The 4 door rule, along with other limitations at the time, was brought in because Ford and Holden wanted a 2 make series, and wrote the rules to lock out everything that was fwd or awd; 2 door, any engine configuration that wasn't a 5 litre OHV V8, and set wheelbase limitations. Both Ford and Holden were getting good sales volume, and threw money at most of the teams, or supported them with parts.
The two door thing doesn't worry me that much, the cars will look ugly yes, as in my opinion there aren't any good looking modern two doors, I like the old XA,B,C and Mustang two doors as well as the old Monaro but as a ford fan I really dislike the fish mouth mustang. Yes the FGX had a similar front but it had it working, it wasn't as wide and as sloped. But if two doors keeps the series going for Ford then that's what has to be done. As for Front Wheel Drive race cars, no I disagree, if we move to front and all wheel drive cars, then we take away from what (V8) Supercars is. Anyone can have an All wheel drive (WRC) and Front Wheel drive (WTCC. BTCC, all those European categories). As I was saying to a friend last night, V8s are a unique series, people from overseas come to see our series as there is nothing like it anywhere else, in Europe they have GT's which are fairly stable race cars, and the BTCC type cars, which aren't that exciting in my opinion. F1 has its own uniqueness about it as does NASCAR. V8s are a category that people I feel like due to how different the cars are. (Some may call people who follow it bogans because of this) The wheel spins and general movement and unpredictable behaviour seems to be one of the things that attract veiwers. You put a Front wheel drive in it will take that away and we wont see racing as close. The Commodore NG will be released to the public as front wheel (as far as I've heard), yet they still allowed Roland and Triple 8 to run rear wheel drive cars, so its not an issue
Old 23 Aug 2017, 23:04 (Ref:3761282)   #57
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:

GM, I see your point, and it makes a point of how much people from the international scheme love the series. Basically if you like it keep watching, it may be one person but it helps, as for the article, they are just being a journalist in my opinion, plain annoying. For relevance to the Australian car industry, I cant see how its possible for V8s to be relevant to it when we have lost our manufacturing. As for relevance to the fans, absolutely V8s are relevant, they are doing whatever they can for the fans.
Old 24 Aug 2017, 01:24 (Ref:3761298)   #58
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Appreciate you taking the time to post these thoughts from someone outside Australia. Very interesting view which may help some appreciate what we have here. You seem to have a healthy passion for our series yet only been part of the fun for less than 2 seasons. If you haven't had a look already, I'm sure you would enjoy earlier V8 races via youtube / internet.
Old 24 Aug 2017, 01:51 (Ref:3761301)   #59
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Americans are watching...
Old 24 Aug 2017, 04:45 (Ref:3761313)   #60
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinwebbers View Post
Interesting if V8s are 'dying' in the words I hear on many forums and social media, then why would Penske and other Americans be showing interest
Old 24 Aug 2017, 08:32 (Ref:3761330)   #61
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Thanks for your post.I think Australians tend to take for granted how good the series is.As a combination of close racing and exciting cars it has probably been the best touring car series in the world for some time now.DTM would be my runner up with its biggest failing being its locked in 1 hour race formula.
Old 24 Aug 2017, 08:56 (Ref:3761332)   #62
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceci1 View Post
While 7 didn't have V8s at the best intent,
??

Channel 7 effectively created what is now known as Supercars!

Quote:
Maybe Cochrane needs to come back and pull Warburton into line. Usually he doesn't come across as to arrogant
Read some of Mr Cochrane's quotes from the 1996-2000 period, and see if you still have the same opinon..
Old 24 Aug 2017, 09:40 (Ref:3761336)   #63
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
??

Read some of Mr Cochrane's quotes from the 1996-2000 period, and see if you still have the same opinon..
jsut likt this topic is about relevance, i find a lacking relevance you bringing up something that happened 20 years ago in this discussion about ch 7 and what happened in 2013

However if we are, then ch 7 tried to kill the great race in 1997 (some on here say it did)
Old 24 Aug 2017, 10:04 (Ref:3761338)   #64
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
??

Correct me if I am wrong but when the V8 Supercars side of things started, 1996-97, they were with 10
Old 24 Aug 2017, 10:19 (Ref:3761339)   #65
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong but when the V8 Supercars side of things started, 1996-97, they were with 10
When Supercars was formed the series it evolved from what was on Ch 7. However Supercars joined with ch 10 at the start of 1997
Old 24 Aug 2017, 11:14 (Ref:3761345)   #66
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
When Supercars was formed the series it evolved from what was on Ch 7. However Supercars joined with ch 10 at the start of 1997
But what was the reference, V8s as a name or the beginning, I know the details of the ATCC in 64 (wasn't it). I though 97 was 10 though. So to a degree 155 is right in 7 started the ATCC, but back then money wasn't an issue that is as big now, it still was an issue but not like now
Old 24 Aug 2017, 11:18 (Ref:3761347)   #67
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
But what was the reference, V8s as a name or the beginning, I know the details of the ATCC in 64 (wasn't it). I though 97 was 10 though. So to a degree 155 is right in 7 started the ATCC, but back then money wasn't an issue that is as big now, it still was an issue but not like now
He would be talking about when the 5 litre series started back in 1992 which had ch 7 involvment

however the media package back then is irrelevant to the thread. and we should let it go or discuss elsewhere.
Old 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 (Ref:3761351)   #68
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The Holden/Ford/V8-only formula which started in 1993 only got over the line when Mike Raymond and Channel 7 said they wouldn't televise the ATCC anymore without this formula in place.

In 1997 the category got a different name (to V8Supercars) and changed broadcasters to Channel 10, but the actual regulations which kicked off in 1993 stayed much the same (beyond updating the cars to the next model in from EF to EL Falcon & VR to VS Commodore)
Old 24 Aug 2017, 11:45 (Ref:3761355)   #69
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
Appreciate you taking the time to post these thoughts from someone outside Australia. Very interesting view which may help some appreciate what we have here. You seem to have a healthy passion for our series yet only been part of the fun for less than 2 seasons. If you haven't had a look already, I'm sure you would enjoy earlier V8 races via youtube / internet.
I'm largely in agreement with him as well, which is why I'm involved on here.

V8s sound good. Even terrible ones sound good. Most 4 pots don't.
Bigger cars tend to be more interesting anyway, not just for being rarer. Who even notices a modern hatch back unless it's hotted up condiderably - and most of those look ridiculous. A large, powerful saloon turns heads.
RWD makes for better racing cars. Modern tyres spoil a lot of the spectacle by being too fussy about being a little sideways and working too hard.
Racing rules on overtaking also spoil some of the spectacle in penalising someone for making an attempt instead of the person who had an avoidable collision by ignoring the laws of physics and shutting down a car which is already on it's limit.

There are places where Supercars have lost their way, category management seem to be too full of their own self-importance for a start, but they're still more exciting as a starting point than the whole BTCC/WCC/TRC concept. They're just made artificially exciting by ignoring the non-contact element of 'proper' racing and following the stock car route.

I'm not sure V8s need to be relevant, but they need to resemble the sort of vehicle a lot of people aspire to drive. And if the majority think that they're more similar than they are, that's probably a good thing for keeping them interested.
Old 24 Aug 2017, 13:16 (Ref:3761370)   #70
GM10
Veteran

Italy
Mantua
GM10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Thanks for your post.I think Australians tend to take for granted how good the series is.As a combination of close racing and exciting cars it has probably been the best touring car series in the world for some time now.DTM would be my runner up with its biggest failing being its locked in 1 hour race formula.
Huh, no comparisons with DTM please. DTM has ballast changing after qualifyings (!!!), DRS and basically the same cars for everybody. Supercars drivers can make the difference, obviously it's better to drive a good-prepared car but here the driver also counts. In DTM it doesn't seem the same, as you can be first on Saturday and 12th on Sunday thanks to the ballast. It sucks.

I also agree with Woolley: Supercars has to follow the market without losing his "big cars" and powerful engines philosophy. That's why I think that the V6 formula will be good. It's also important to have at least an Australian manufacturer, and Holden will be still in.

I also like TCR cars, because they're bringing back the real touring car racing here in Europe for the first time since Super Touring. But our market is quite different to the Australian's. Maybe Australia will have a TCR series in a few years, maybe also with a good number of cars, but I think that Australians will never like it, because cars like TCR don't fit with them. It will be quite the same as Super Touring: in the 90s there were two Australian championships but I think (maybe I'm wrong, tell me if that's the case) that they weren't equally followed despite both had a good level of drivers.
Old 24 Aug 2017, 13:45 (Ref:3761374)   #71
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Per usual, the overseas fans notice that Supercars is one of, if not the best touring car series in the world, yet the locals just crap all over it.
Old 24 Aug 2017, 15:17 (Ref:3761384)   #72
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You never really appreciate what you have until it's gone.
Old 24 Aug 2017, 17:01 (Ref:3761403)   #73
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Old 25 Aug 2017, 02:59 (Ref:3761449)   #74
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Bigger cars tend to be more interesting anyway, not just for being rarer. Who even notices a modern hatch back unless it's hotted up condiderably - and most of those look ridiculous. A large, powerful saloon turns heads.
A Commodore SS is a dime-a-dozen in Australia, while good luck finding a BMW 550i with a manual transmission in Australia (Australians are obsessed with automatics!).
Old 25 Aug 2017, 04:23 (Ref:3761455)   #75
SJA
Racer

Australia
SJA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OP = Yes.

I said this after Clipsal and was virtually marginalized. We're in for a couple more years of distorted statistics to fain "health" in the series, but ultimately we're now in the 'slow burn till the end' era of the series, and there are lots of reasons for this.