Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 22 May 2003, 09:40 (Ref:606616)   #1
canadair
Rookie

canadair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cosworth DFV

Very general question, but just how available is this engine today?, in either rebuildable or fully running form.
Are there shops specializing in the engine, preferably the short version, ( early)
what is available in terms of parts,
just how user freindly is it to run,
what are the costs of both rebuldable, and fully restored?
There must be some people here with this kind of expertise.
Cheers.
Old 22 May 2003, 13:19 (Ref:606846)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A very interesting question. I an't help, but I bet as old F1 engines go you couldn't ask for a better situation. Practically all the runners in TGP use them, someone must know. There could well be a market for reproducing them!
Old 22 May 2003, 18:44 (Ref:607129)   #3
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Phone Martin Stretton Racing. If anyone has one it will be him...

Think its a case of "if you ahve to ask" as far as price is concerned.
Old 23 May 2003, 09:56 (Ref:607577)   #4
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I saw one for sale for £30k in a mag last month, so not cheap, but it would make a Cortina go pretty quick
Old 23 May 2003, 13:28 (Ref:607828)   #5
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What do you mean cortina? I was thinking of a Reliant Kitten...

or amybe a mini.
Old 26 May 2003, 16:40 (Ref:610618)   #6
Bostik
Racer

Bostik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are plenty around. Prices vary between £20-£40k depending on spec / use etc. Rebuild costs anything from £8- £15k depending on how deep you go. Life is around 600-800 miles.
If you're serious, call John Nicholson or Leo Wybrott (MD) at Nicholson McLaren on +44 1189 738 000 - they are the experts and will probably tell you more than you need to know!
Old 28 May 2003, 09:35 (Ref:612249)   #7
canadair
Rookie

thanks for the contact information. I would hope to find a rebuildable core as I would need it for fitting long before I need it running! anyone got a core?
Cheers
Old 28 May 2003, 15:23 (Ref:612577)   #8
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are a few of these engines being used in speed hillclimbing..
Not sure how many miles they do in a season but most tend to have at least a strip down over the winter just to check them out.
On average they tend to produce around 600bhp but running them on methanol can increase this but the obvious drawback to this is more engine wear.........
Old 29 May 2003, 08:09 (Ref:613211)   #9
canadair
Rookie

I received a note the other day, saying that Cosworth of Northampton, has committed to producing all components of the DFV again, and has begun doing so.
Does anyone know just how far they are going? ie long, short, and does this include case and cranks as well?
This is interesting, as while I am sure the cost of a "new" engine will be quite high, could this bring the cost of rebuildable and well used engines down some?, or is this still such a specialized powerplant that the numbers will be too small to matter?
any opinions?
Old 29 May 2003, 09:11 (Ref:613251)   #10
NissanGTP
Rookie

NissanGTP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cosworth are the mainstay of TGP and Group-C and, therefore, bits are readily available. I have been using Nicholson Mclaren for a few years now and would highly recomend going there. All our engine from Nicholson have been excellent and very trouble free.

Cost is largely dependent on spec, which is largely dsependent on what regs you run to.
Old 29 May 2003, 13:00 (Ref:613573)   #11
CFD-9
Rookie

CFD-9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try looking here!

http://www.racecarwarehouse.co.uk/frames.htm
Old 10 Jun 2003, 20:25 (Ref:627538)   #12
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.tgp-f1.com/files/carmark.htm#DFV
Old 11 Jun 2003, 15:40 (Ref:628419)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
a DFV in a reliant Kitten imull?

only if your running standard brakes and wheels surely, youd ruind the fun otherwise
Old 8 Jun 2020, 18:50 (Ref:3980878)   #14
Carlos Gilbert
Rookie

Portugal
Porto, Portugal
Carlos Gilbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know this is an old thread, but why start now a new one with the same title? Now, my question is: Looking into some reviews of sportscars of the early 70s (Lola, March, etc.) I see that some models had DFV installed but I read also these versions had no big success mainly due to vibration problems of the engines, this being the main reason for low reliability. The truth is the DFV does not seem to be a good engine for endurance racing for the reason mentioned. Does anyone know the reason for those vibrations? I thought every 6-8-10-12 V engine to always be very smoothly running...
Thanks, CG
Old 7 Sep 2020, 10:40 (Ref:4000730)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
For endureance they're a very highly strung F1 engine high revs and an old V8 . . . . depends on the crank, 6's are best for natural harmonics/balance I believe. DFV is complicated as well, comprared to say a 289 Ford throwing out similar power now.

a 289/302 is a fracxtion of the cost as well.

Richardson will take your house for a DFV . . . . £30k ish for a new 289
Old 7 Sep 2020, 21:15 (Ref:4000838)   #16
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The flat plane crank I believe was often blamed for the vibration problems along with the high amount of revs that it was capable of. I also remember reading that somebody had some new camshafts made that altered the firing order and claimed it rectified the problem.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !