Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Sep 2021, 08:48 (Ref:4072278)   #426
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I insist that the DTM should establish a pitting window, for example between minute 20 and 30.
Well now that you insist...

Why though? every other GT3 series does that, why copy everyone else
Old 6 Sep 2021, 13:20 (Ref:4072337)   #427
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
DTM had a remote control racecar at RBR. Personally it’s not for me but I’m sure the technology is exciting for some people. It’s kinda mad that they can get the signals from the simulator to the car quick enough that the driver can actually drive without problems. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a0NIGl7m2us
Old 6 Sep 2021, 14:06 (Ref:4072344)   #428
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I insist that the DTM should establish a pitting window, for example between minute 20 and 30.
Pit stop window is not needed IMO, however, the fact that there are a lot of drivers pitting in last few laps is baffling. It doesn't make any good to their races and I can't understand it in most cases.
Old 6 Sep 2021, 19:13 (Ref:4072385)   #429
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think just push the window after lap 5 to perhaps lap 8, 9 or 10. Most will obviously pit right away in case of the safety car.

Only Sophia would pit late. So she can artificially run in the top 5. And even that does not last long... ha ha ha. Red Bull Ring she was the slowest yet. And I remember the announcer saying in a Free Practice broadcast...she likes this track.

Still a good week of DTM racing. I am impressed with this series so far. Big thing needed is a full time Porsche and McLaren runner. Even better if they can get an Aston or Acura to enter.
Old 6 Sep 2021, 19:52 (Ref:4072387)   #430
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in race 1 if I am not wrong rockfeller and turbosophia pitted during last laps, as in race 2 muller waited to pit until about last 5 minutes as well... mandatory pit window or not, unless of a sudden rain, this "strategy" basically makes no sense most of all in race 2 where drivers don't need to save any tyre for the next day race.
Anyway, turbosophia and a gore and haw dudes were so ridiculously slow! why don't make a silver class for these drivers who are "pro" just because clearly pay to drive?
Old 9 Sep 2021, 10:17 (Ref:4072762)   #431
tizzlewizzle
Rookie

tizzlewizzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What they need to do is use softer tyres to allow a larger difference in lap times. Every one just stops early because they know the tyres will last.
Old 9 Sep 2021, 10:30 (Ref:4072763)   #432
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzlewizzle View Post
What they need to do is use softer tyres to allow a larger difference in lap times. Every one just stops early because they know the tyres will last.

I don't think is that the problem, dtm uses michelin tires that likely are the same supplied to IMSA and gt-open, unlike crap GTW pirelli, michelin don't have big tirewear issues considering that in IMSA endurance races, gtd teams can do >2h stints with same tires... Just like old dtm rules, drivers have a mandatory tire change without a mandatory pit window... it just feels odd to see drivers fighting for top positions at the end of the race as they forgot they didn't pit yet
Old 9 Sep 2021, 15:41 (Ref:4072814)   #433
Pascal88
Rookie

Pascal88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Factory Lamborghini driver Mirko Bortolotti will make his DTM appearance at Assen next weekend, driving a third Huracan GT3 Evo run by T3 Motorsport.

And Klien is back on the grid. Counting 21 cars now.
Old 21 Sep 2021, 11:46 (Ref:4074896)   #434
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lucas di Grassi will compete last two rounds of the season in a fourth Abt Audi.

Meanwhile, title fight is getting more and more exciting - I'd consider Lawson, Wittmann and van der Linde as main favourites although probably Lawson will make it - Ferrari seems to be the most consistent of all and Lawson is super-quick. Although I'd love to see Wittmann grab his third title.

Also, it seems like a beginning of silly season for 2022 - Grasser Racing wants to enter DTM with Bortolotti as one of the drivers. It seems that Lamborghini will have a much stronger representation - apart from likely three cars from Grasser, T3 is looking to field three cars as well.
Old 21 Sep 2021, 14:40 (Ref:4074927)   #435
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Lucas di Grassi will compete last two rounds of the season in a fourth Abt Audi.

Meanwhile, title fight is getting more and more exciting - I'd consider Lawson, Wittmann and van der Linde as main favourites although probably Lawson will make it - Ferrari seems to be the most consistent of all and Lawson is super-quick. Although I'd love to see Wittmann grab his third title.

Also, it seems like a beginning of silly season for 2022 - Grasser Racing wants to enter DTM with Bortolotti as one of the drivers. It seems that Lamborghini will have a much stronger representation - apart from likely three cars from Grasser, T3 is looking to field three cars as well.
2022 very interesting for European GT3.

DTM has gotten stronger and stronger through its first year with GT3, and the all 'PRO' format has been popular.

How does that affect GTWC and GT Masters?

GT Open is struggling for numbers, British GT is too to a lesser extent, but those are for different reasons
Old 23 Sep 2021, 11:45 (Ref:4075127)   #436
Matt K
Veteran

Surely DTM's move to GT3 hasn't been all doom and gloom as some (probably gleefully) predicted. I see next season as a big test. If the numbers go higher and the quality of the grid is as high as this year and even higher then it's a very clear indication DTM is a strong force to be reckoned with amon GT3 championships.
Old 23 Sep 2021, 14:32 (Ref:4075153)   #437
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Surely DTM's move to GT3 hasn't been all doom and gloom as some (probably gleefully) predicted. I see next season as a big test. If the numbers go higher and the quality of the grid is as high as this year and even higher then it's a very clear indication DTM is a strong force to be reckoned with amon GT3 championships.
The product on track is good, but TV ratings have fallen by about 50% and are essentially no better than those of ADAC GT. I am wondering if this will make some teams reconsider their choices. Also, ticket prices haven't changed much compared to the Class 1 days, which makes DTM just about the most expensive GT3 series for on track spectating and I'm not sure if that won't lose them spectators down the road.
Old 23 Sep 2021, 15:22 (Ref:4075163)   #438
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
The product on track is good, but TV ratings have fallen by about 50% and are essentially no better than those of ADAC GT. I am wondering if this will make some teams reconsider their choices. Also, ticket prices haven't changed much compared to the Class 1 days, which makes DTM just about the most expensive GT3 series for on track spectating and I'm not sure if that won't lose them spectators down the road.
True - TV ratings seems to be a big worry.
Old 23 Sep 2021, 15:26 (Ref:4075164)   #439
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I don't think numbers need to higher actually. But we do need more than 5 full time manufacturers. By GT3 standards, at least 7 would be good.

But yeah DTM has been a good watch. Kudos to DTM Grid web site for making the races available.
Old 26 Sep 2021, 21:55 (Ref:4075759)   #440
Bcarr6
Veteran

Curiously, both the DTM and GT Open say they are holding a race meeting on 30th April - 1st May weekend.

Either GT Open and Euroformula Open are running as the support card for DTM, or one of them is changing dates..
Old 26 Sep 2021, 23:27 (Ref:4075773)   #441
Matt K
Veteran

You're right! Haven't noticed it. It seems interesting really...
Speaking of Portimao, I'm not really sure if this is a good place for DTM. In my opinion DTM can't escape from its German roots to much. Why don't they race at Oschersleben and/or Sachsenring for instance? Would be more worthwhile probably than going somewhere where there's little interest in DTM.
Old 27 Sep 2021, 03:47 (Ref:4075807)   #442
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
DTM can't escape from its German roots too much because it airs on pay TV in Britain, Italy, France and elsewhere.
Old 27 Sep 2021, 12:26 (Ref:4075874)   #443
Matt K
Veteran

I mean, it's important for DTM to race in countries like Italy or Britain - especially as Ferrari is now involved and Lamborghini is said to be willing to invest more in DTM, while Berger tries to get Aston Martin as well.
But is it really as important for them to go to Portugal or Russia or other countries that are unlikely to attract big crowds? I think it'd be ok if we had a season opener at Oschersleben or Sachsenring instead of Portimao.
Old 28 Sep 2021, 11:24 (Ref:4076073)   #444
Bcarr6
Veteran

I think its important the DTM pushes beyond German boundaries-

Firstly it has to stand out against the domestic pro am GT Masters,

And secondly, they are trying to pin themselves now as the most premier GT only series, and you cant do that in one country alone.

If the DTM sticks at GT's, I can honestly see it ranking above GTWC Sprint next year, ive certainly enjoyed DTM more than GTWC Sprint this year, not 100% sure why.
Old 28 Sep 2021, 18:14 (Ref:4076161)   #445
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
I think its important the DTM pushes beyond German boundaries-

Firstly it has to stand out against the domestic pro am GT Masters,

And secondly, they are trying to pin themselves now as the most premier GT only series, and you cant do that in one country alone.

If the DTM sticks at GT's, I can honestly see it ranking above GTWC Sprint next year, ive certainly enjoyed DTM more than GTWC Sprint this year, not 100% sure why.
Interesting comparison. I rank them equally so far this year. The pit stop rules in DTM is quirky though. They should have a tighter window. Not the sshort 10 minutes like GT WC sprint does, but 20 minutes maybe. I think DTM also needs a color commentator. That one guy who announces carries the whole load.

ADACT GT was fairly heavily pro drivers for a while. I have not seen any of it this year so I don't know about it now.
Old 28 Sep 2021, 18:24 (Ref:4076165)   #446
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
ADACT GT was fairly heavily pro drivers for a while. I have not seen any of it this year so I don't know about it now.

No Change. The field is as alwaly close as hell, closer than in the DTM.
Old 30 Sep 2021, 04:35 (Ref:4076372)   #447
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Speaking of TV ratings, I wonder what value they put into streaming views and such, and whether or not their moves to other streaming platforms have gone well for them.

I haven't watched DTM or ADAC GT this season because of their moves away from YouTube, and most people I know only casually watched them and haven't watched them since then either.

I didn't even know where ADAC was streaming their races until like a month ago when I stumbled across it in the comments section someplace. Not sure if I'm just blind, but I couldn't find anything about where to watch it on the English version of the ADAC site. My first experience with the motorsport.tv site wasn't positive though, as the first race starts like 2 laps into the race and the player buffers like crazy so I just gave up and haven't tried it again.

As for DTM on MTOD... Yeah I'm not giving MTOD any money.

I've seen people say things like BoP or electric cars are ruining their interest in motorsport, but for myself it's geoblocking and paywalls to watch. Especially after getting spoiled and having easy to watch series on YouTube for years, when they suddenly go "oh nevermind, now give us money to watch this next season" I just nope out and find some other series to watch or go play a racing game instead.

Going off on a bit of grouchy tangent at this point though I guess...
Old 30 Sep 2021, 10:17 (Ref:4076391)   #448
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For those struggling to watch the races (i believe only practice is shown on Youtube) at the last event in Assen Autocar India were streaming the races live on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/c/autocarindia1) Now theyve shown qualifying all year long with English commentary but this was the first weekend that i noticed they had shown the races too. Not sure if it was a mistake, a one off or something that will continue but it might be another avenue for you?
Old 2 Oct 2021, 11:23 (Ref:4076644)   #449
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
For those struggling to watch the races (i believe only practice is shown on Youtube) at the last event in Assen Autocar India were streaming the races live on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/c/autocarindia1) Now theyve shown qualifying all year long with English commentary but this was the first weekend that i noticed they had shown the races too. Not sure if it was a mistake, a one off or something that will continue but it might be another avenue for you?
Race 1 - Hockenheim LIVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBFQDV6SrwI
Old 3 Oct 2021, 10:42 (Ref:4076816)   #450
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there anyway of watching race 2 live? BT sport are not advertising it at all.