Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 19 Sep 2021, 15:08 (Ref:4074674)   #76
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Minis off everywhere, carnage.
They don't like being on 4 wheels, do they? I love the series but the driving standards are predictably bad.
Old 19 Sep 2021, 15:34 (Ref:4074675)   #77
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Graves Motorsport and Max Coates looking to enter BTCC in 2023, I wonder who's TBL they are going to have.

Time to start the 2023 BTCC rumour thread
Old 19 Sep 2021, 15:49 (Ref:4074676)   #78
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Smiley gets a 0.7sec penalty for gaining an advantage in race 2.

I make it that drops him from 9th to 11th.

https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...ris-Smiley.pdf
Old 19 Sep 2021, 16:05 (Ref:4074681)   #79
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Enjoyed that second touring car race, bit of contact, but nothing malicious and pretty much everyone ended up pointing in the right direction

Great win by Hill, glad he’s finally doubled his tally of wins and now has really closed the gap to Sutton. Great defence by Moffat throughout. Butcher really has had an unlucky weekend

Turkington on pole for race 3, this is his big opportunity. Interesting that the top 5 in the championship are all in the first 4 rows.
Old 19 Sep 2021, 17:00 (Ref:4074688)   #80
mark_l
Veteran

England
Porsche race ruined by tyre stacks.
Old 19 Sep 2021, 17:03 (Ref:4074689)   #81
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sutton 247
Hill 218
Turkington 212
Cook 211
Tingram 210

Shedden 165
Moffat 163

game over for everyone under Tingram but they really need a bad meeting for Sutton to have a proper season finale
Old 19 Sep 2021, 17:20 (Ref:4074690)   #82
mark_l
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Sutton 247
Hill 218
Turkington 212
Cook 211
Tingram 210

Shedden 165
Moffat 163

game over for everyone under Tingram but they really need a bad meeting for Sutton to have a proper season finale
Wait till Gow and Riches get their heads together, a bad meeting for Sutton could still happen and give Gow his much wanted last meeting, last race showdown.
Old 19 Sep 2021, 17:30 (Ref:4074691)   #83
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Who spun plato? No doubt a team dirtnamics driver.....
Old 19 Sep 2021, 17:37 (Ref:4074692)   #84
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looked like he just made a mistake to me.
Old 19 Sep 2021, 17:57 (Ref:4074693)   #85
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well another good days racing and looking forward to the last races at brands, but suspect i will be watching it wrapped up against the cold and drinking more hot coffee than is good for me.
Old 19 Sep 2021, 20:49 (Ref:4074706)   #86
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
A Ginetta GT5 race ruined by the Croft tyre stacks, why are they still being used when they are a clear danger to cars. The GT5 looks like it had the suspension ripped from the car in the impact.

Motorsport UK need to take a look at the use of the stacks, especially at Croft as well as other circuits.
Been dangerous for years. I remember the late Dave Allan got his windscreen smashed and glass in his eyes when Tom Boardman smacked a stack and it came down to earth on his car.
Old 19 Sep 2021, 21:26 (Ref:4074710)   #87
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Graves Motorsport and Max Coates looking to enter BTCC in 2023, I wonder who's TBL they are going to have.

Time to start the 2023 BTCC rumour thread
They've come a long way since I raced Dave in PBMW. Good on them. A great team and really nice people.
Old 19 Sep 2021, 21:41 (Ref:4074715)   #88
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To those who might believe that the tyre stacks ruined races, I would like to put forward a different proposition. My son and I were sat on the banking right by the chicane all day, and we both came to the same conclusion that it was not the tyres causing the problems but the drivers from all the the races that were at the root cause of it.

The tyres are there to stop cars having more that two wheels over the white lines that mark the edges of the track, and beyond those lines are red and white serrated curbs, Now on both the entry and the middle of the chicane, the tyre stacks were diligently placed by the marshals a little bit away from the outside edges of the curbs.

And it was drivers, in every case of an incident there, that were exceeding the outside edge of the curbing, and thus colliding with the tyres. And in one race, the first driver to hit the second stack actually moved it further away from the racing surface and yet two following cars still managed to hit it.

My own view is that there is no real need for the chicane because most of the leading don't lift there at all. And going to the back end of the grid, having watched Nic Hamilton over many years, and having seen him race from almost the same point at Croft two years ago, even he barely lifts when going through now, as opposed to a very noticeable lift in the past.

And boy, were we lucky with the weather over the weekend. The forecast was all doom and gloom with possible flooding in the area, but instead it was a chilly start but the sun came out and it warmed up nicely. Although the wind did pick up a tad prior to the final touring car race and that took the edge off of the warmth.

As to the exhaust notes of the tourers, they are not that bad in my opinion, but I must admit that they didn't compare with the sound of Alan Gow's Porsche, is it a Panamera?, that he was driving around the circuit before and between races; it had a fabulous V8 type burble plus just a beautiful sound. And all better than the whispering Porsche Challenge cars.
Old 19 Sep 2021, 22:05 (Ref:4074718)   #89
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It just says 'causing a collision.....' it doesn't say who else was involved.

https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...ris-Smiley.pdf
Smiley …… again…..
Old 20 Sep 2021, 06:38 (Ref:4074752)   #90
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I was at the chicane too and while of course it was the drivers who hit the tyres , and not the reverse, other drivers were caught up in the ensuing carnage. I am at most Croft meetings and have lost count of the number of times those damn tyres have punished a small error by wrecking a car.

I would hate to be the person explain to the coroner why , in spite of a catalogue of accidents there , and the fact that the danger is acknowledged by the decision to remove them for single seaters , it was still right to retain them , despite the obvious foreseeability of a very serious accident.

The chicane is slightly misnamed, as it is extremely fast compared to a 'real' chicane , but is a fabulous place to watch car control in the wet. Where things get iffy is not the chicane itself , but 50- 75m later , as cars struggle to keep on the Tarmac and often drift onto the grass.

As for a remedy- bin the tyres now (both sets, as the pile on the RH side also cause damage) and build the kerbs high/bumpy enough to be an unattractive, but safer option to hit
Old 20 Sep 2021, 08:47 (Ref:4074765)   #91
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Great win by Turkington in R3, he really needed that. Great also to see Flash back up there after a difficult season

R3 seemed quite attritional. The top 8 was the same top 8 on the grid, but plenty of drama behind. Good to see Osbourne and Smelt in the mix, shame they couldn't hold on.
Old 20 Sep 2021, 09:14 (Ref:4074771)   #92
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
Obviously. Build a super quick car for a rival team, and then they beat you with it
In all fairness, Team Dynamics have been massively unlucky this season.
It just seems like a 'troll-like' way to refer to Dynamics' results.

BTC have Cook in his third season with the car / team, and Proctor is in his fifth consecutive season in the series. If you look at Edwards' results, you can see how well Cook and Proctor are driving.

In Dynamics, they have a driver returning to the series after a three year absence and driving the car for the first time - alongside a driver who is walking away with the Jack Sears trophy and with both cars in the top ten of the championship.
Old 20 Sep 2021, 10:35 (Ref:4074775)   #93
S griffin
Veteran

Rowbottom is now out of the top ten though
Old 20 Sep 2021, 10:44 (Ref:4074777)   #94
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Rowbottom is now out of the top ten though
You're right - I meant a the time Dynamics were accused of looking stupid, he was still in the top ten.
Old 20 Sep 2021, 11:11 (Ref:4074786)   #95
S griffin
Veteran

I do agree that Dynamics aren’t doing that bad. Let’s not forget they aren’t a works team anymore, so it’s not so bad BTC have done better
Old 20 Sep 2021, 11:16 (Ref:4074787)   #96
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I guess if the kerbs were raised then there would be complaints that they were dangerous for bikes? I've only raced at Croft a coupe of times but watched a fair few events there, and its obvious from lap 1 that track limits are abused - the flexy poles go flying and there effectively ceases to be a bend between Clervaux and Hawthorne, and the Chicane isn't the tightest I've seen - although some drivers still seem to treat it as optional....
Old 20 Sep 2021, 13:01 (Ref:4074805)   #97
t4tinks
Rookie

t4tinks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not remove the tyre stacks and bring back the nailed together plywood and sleepers from the old Croft. No kerb hopping then....
Old 20 Sep 2021, 15:14 (Ref:4074822)   #98
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I was at the chicane too and while of course it was the drivers who hit the tyres , and not the reverse, other drivers were caught up in the ensuing carnage. I am at most Croft meetings and have lost count of the number of times those damn tyres have punished a small error by wrecking a car.

Circuits are already over sanitised in the quest to make them "safe" for drivers, but if drivers insist on pushing the limit, then they have to expect the consequences. I find it puzzling that today's drivers are incapable of negotiating the circuits without, a) exceeding track limits and b) not driving into track furniture.

I am old enough to have witnessed first hand drivers negotiating tracks like Crystal Palace which had corners/chicanes created using old railway sleepers. And I cannot recall any of those drivers not being able to get round the circuit without hitting those immobile those track walls. Or nearly all F1 and other drivers not being able to miss the barriers at Monaco.

Yes, accidents will happen, but that is not the fault of the track furniture; that is nearly always the fault of the drivers taking unacceptable risks, as I feel very strongly happened yesterday. And yes it's very unfortunate for other drivers that may have suffered misfortune because of the actions of others, but blame must be placed at the feet of the drivers responsible in the first place, especially at least one who drove almost into the centre of the middle stack, thus causing mayhem.
Old 20 Sep 2021, 16:01 (Ref:4074825)   #99
mattcanary
Racer

mattcanary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I guess if the kerbs were raised then there would be complaints that they were dangerous for bikes? I've only raced at Croft a coupe of times but watched a fair few events there, and its obvious from lap 1 that track limits are abused - the flexy poles go flying and there effectively ceases to be a bend between Clervaux and Hawthorne, and the Chicane isn't the tightest I've seen - although some drivers still seem to treat it as optional....
Why not gravel or grass there?
Old 20 Sep 2021, 16:30 (Ref:4074830)   #100
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcanary View Post
Why not gravel or grass there?

Because drivers will still run over at least grass. On the entry where the first tyre stack is placed beyond the external edge of the serrated curbing - which causes the cars' tyres to make a rumbling noise as they all go over them - once an errant driver had knocked the stack out of the way, then following cars on repeated laps just ran at least two wheels over the ground beyond the curbing, which you could witness by the dust that was kicked up by many of the cars. And this meant that, when made possible by a reasonable gap before the cars came around again, the marshals would try to put the first stack back in position. They couldn't do that for the other stack because a) it would have required marshals to actually cross a live track and b) it needed too many bodies to move it because it was so heavy, which any sensible driver would realise before hitting it.

As I have tried to say, it all comes down to a complete lack of discipline by a too many of today's drivers.