Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 May 2001, 16:53 (Ref:89336)   #1
FEUsmart
Racer

FEUsmart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Combining Sportscars and Single Seaters

How easy do you think it is to combine a season of Sportscars and single seaters? I've noticed a lot of F3000 drivers are trying their hands at GT's and Le Mans type things, with varying levels of success.

Justin Wilson and Tomas Enge showed very strongly in the FIA GT chapmpionship at Magny Cours, finishing third in class, Joel Camathias, also from F3000 was driving too, although didn't finish. Sebastien Bourdais is competing in a sportscar series, in preparation for Le Mans.

Does this dilute a driver's efforts? It is easy to just swap from one type of car to another without effecting you style in the other car?

I seem to remember Webber testing F1 in the year he did his Mercedes sportscar thing, and finding it pretty difficult.
Old 5 May 2001, 23:55 (Ref:89486)   #2
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

To be fair , F1 cars are alittle faster than F3000 cars and GT cars so it wouldn't surpise me if he did find it hard. Plus , it was his fisrt season testing an F1 car.
Old 7 May 2001, 13:22 (Ref:89885)   #3
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the biggest stumbling block to a front line F1 or CART driver taking on Sportscars comes from the very restrictive contracts they have with their teams. A few drivers venture each year to the Rolex, Max Papis comes to mind, but most are not allowed to do dangerous undertakings during the racing season by contract.
Never forget #99
Old 7 May 2001, 14:49 (Ref:89895)   #4
FEUsmart
Racer

Ah-ha! I've just remembered the point I was trying to make in the original post:
Old 7 May 2001, 14:53 (Ref:89896)   #5
FEUsmart
Racer

D'oh!

Anyway, as I was saying, according to Paddock Spy, Mark Webber did several days in an F1 car around the Barcelona circuit leading up to the race there (I thought F1 teams could only test on circuits after they'd raced on them...) yet, considering he'd had so much mileage there, he still couldn't put in a decent qualifyer in F3000.

So....

Can a driver just swap and change between totally different machines with no adverse effect on his performance in either?

I *think* that was the point I was originally trying to get at.
Old 7 May 2001, 15:32 (Ref:89900)   #6
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think so. We have all seen how a driver can move from a lesser formula car to more powerful sports cars and then go back with no problem. The F1 guys do the occasional charitable kart race and then go back to their powerful machines. I think any decent driver should be able to cross over.
Never forget #99