Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Aug 2018, 11:18 (Ref:3843547)   #151
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Tight budget?!
Well, regardless of the budget, Chilton did nearly win a race at the end of 09 in that Focus.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 12:29 (Ref:3843553)   #152
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Why would they reduce the length of the race before it even starts? This is ridiculous.
I know I'm late to the party - but it's as much to do with TV scheduling as it is to do with car fuel levels. There have been a number of meetings in years past where races have been delayed for multiple reasons and the final race has finished after the TV coverage is supposed to have ended.

I dare say ITV's advertisers aren't too happy when that happens, so it's in everyone's interests (not least us orange folk) to keep the meeting to time.

Having sat down to flick through the TV coverage on Sunday night, I thought it was an excellent meeting overall with some superb driving. Ingram goes down as driver of the weekend for me.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 12:37 (Ref:3843556)   #153
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Exactly, on time as much as possible is what everyone wants: TV and those of us relying on buses, trains etc.

What did look a little premature was sending the cars around for a warm up while Ricky Collards car was still out on track - I guess it became impossible to tow after a call was made that it would be safely out of harms way, send 'em on the way?
Old 14 Aug 2018, 13:26 (Ref:3843559)   #154
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think it would have been better to keep them on the grid for a bit, then send them around again
Old 14 Aug 2018, 14:05 (Ref:3843566)   #155
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I know I'm late to the party - but it's as much to do with TV scheduling as it is to do with car fuel levels. There have been a number of meetings in years past where races have been delayed for multiple reasons and the final race has finished after the TV coverage is supposed to have ended.

I dare say ITV's advertisers aren't too happy when that happens, so it's in everyone's interests (not least us orange folk) to keep the meeting to time.

Having sat down to flick through the TV coverage on Sunday night, I thought it was an excellent meeting overall with some superb driving. Ingram goes down as driver of the weekend for me.
I agree about the TV timing... Just a shame they aren't so concerned when it comes to football over running sometimes
Old 14 Aug 2018, 14:18 (Ref:3843567)   #156
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Exactly, on time as much as possible is what everyone wants: TV and those of us relying on buses, trains etc.

What did look a little premature was sending the cars around for a warm up while Ricky Collards car was still out on track - I guess it became impossible to tow after a call was made that it would be safely out of harms way, send 'em on the way?
I'm also sure that the WSR boys were highly unimpressed when they saw the 'crane' recovery vehicle rushing to get it clear of the track so that the race could start, very nearly digging the front end of the car into the ground on more than one occasion!
Old 14 Aug 2018, 16:16 (Ref:3843596)   #157
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I thought it was standard practice to reduce race distance by one lap after an aborted start. I'm sure I've seen it happen a number of times at non-televised meetings.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 16:28 (Ref:3843597)   #158
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think it would have been better to keep them on the grid for a bit, then send them around again
that would have overheated the engines and made the tyres and brakes go colder!
Old 14 Aug 2018, 16:38 (Ref:3843598)   #159
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
I thought it was standard practice to reduce race distance by one lap after an aborted start. I'm sure I've seen it happen a number of times at non-televised meetings.
Definitely. I've seen this from club racing through to F1.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 17:00 (Ref:3843608)   #160
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the real question is how many aborted start "formation laps" would they allow before returning to the grid and switching off engines (red flag conditions). Considering the races are short anyway, 1 more aborted start while they were playing see-saw with the BMW would have led to almost 25% reduction in racing laps.

I do get the point that this is relatively standard practice and is obviously for fueling and tv reasons among others, however losing a lap or two on a 65 lap/ 2 hour F1 race is a bit different to losing a couple of laps on a televised 12 lap/25 min race.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 17:27 (Ref:3843614)   #161
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The cars are overfuelled to deal with additional SC laps. Why not use those? The cars have the fuel. Means you can't add more for SCs, but it's better than nothing and can be done now with no changes.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 21:19 (Ref:3843677)   #162
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
The cars are overfuelled to deal with additional SC laps. Why not use those? The cars have the fuel. Means you can't add more for SCs, but it's better than nothing and can be done now with no changes.
It's so rare that it happens it wouldn't be worth the confusion not adding laps on for a SC in those circumstances would undoubtedly cause.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 18:20 (Ref:3843852)   #163
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Regarding Rockingham -

"Notice:
A sale of Rockingham Motor Speedway Ltd has now completed and as a result, there will be changes in business operations at the venue.

We would reassure all customers that these changes will not impact any aspect of events scheduled to run during 2018, nor the opportunity to stage further events this year. Until the end of the year, the Rockingham team will remain 100% committed to delivering the venue and associated services as professionally and proudly as ever before.

We thank you for your continued support and a further statement will follow shortly."
Old 15 Aug 2018, 18:46 (Ref:3843855)   #164
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Regarding Rockingham -

"Notice:
A sale of Rockingham Motor Speedway Ltd has now completed and as a result, there will be changes in business operations at the venue.

We would reassure all customers that these changes will not impact any aspect of events scheduled to run during 2018, nor the opportunity to stage further events this year. Until the end of the year, the Rockingham team will remain 100% committed to delivering the venue and associated services as professionally and proudly as ever before.

We thank you for your continued support and a further statement will follow shortly."
so that’s the end of Rockingham then. they don’t say a word about the future beyond this year.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 19:56 (Ref:3843882)   #165
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Yip. Cue a planning application for a housing development...
Old 15 Aug 2018, 20:06 (Ref:3843883)   #166
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
There's already a planning application been approved to turn the car park area into a business park, dating back to 2016.

Housing would be somewhat more difficult due to the history of the land use and the likely contamination within it.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 20:10 (Ref:3843885)   #167
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It’ll be a business/retail park
Old 15 Aug 2018, 20:17 (Ref:3843886)   #168
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Shame, the layout really suited the BTCC.

Here's hoping Lake Torrent is ready for 2020!
Old 15 Aug 2018, 20:45 (Ref:3843892)   #169
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The land is far too contaminated to ever be approved for housing.

As already mentioned, there is planning permission for a small business park, which will take up a good portion of car park. The remains of the car park will reduce to around 3000 spaces, which will severely restrict the ability to hold big races like BTCC.

If you check Rockingham's website, the venue is actually in fairly regular use - track days, manufacturer events, driving experience days, drift school, cycle club meetings, even small conferences and exhibitions. There a chance it could still be a profitable business even without holding race meetings.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 22:00 (Ref:3843912)   #170
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So it will just be close club racing then? Shame really, I know the Rock is not everyone’s cup of tea, but the layout really suited the BTCC, as it provided great racing. Imagine it in the super touring era!
Old 15 Aug 2018, 23:06 (Ref:3843922)   #171
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
So it will just be close club racing then? Shame really, I know the Rock is not everyone’s cup of tea, but the layout really suited the BTCC, as it provided great racing. Imagine it in the super touring era!
Oh if only.....
Old 16 Aug 2018, 12:05 (Ref:3843985)   #172
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Statement from Rockingham today;

‘the most significant change will be the cessation of all motorsport, corporate and retail related business from the end of 2018’
Old 16 Aug 2018, 12:17 (Ref:3843988)   #173
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Well track days, driving experience courses etc. don't fit in my description of 'motorsport', so maybe some of the track will continue, even if the stands and most of the car park go.

I'd totally forgotten about what went before when I suggested housing!
Old 16 Aug 2018, 12:23 (Ref:3843991)   #174
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Quote:
Well track days, driving experience courses etc. don't fit in my description of 'motorsport', so maybe some of the track will continue, even if the stands and most of the car park go.

I'd totally forgotten about what went before when I suggested housing!
They probably fall under corporate or retail sadly.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 15:26 (Ref:3844023)   #175
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Local newspaper suggests that it'll become a car storage site. https://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk...site-1-8604007