Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jun 2002, 13:02 (Ref:309619)   #1
RacerX
Rookie

RacerX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Canada Related Question

On the UK TV feed yesterday, James Allen mentioned the Mansell ('91?) incident where he was leading
the race, then got down to the hairpin......

He said that Mansell had flicked an ignition switch off (just like the press had at the time) whereas Mansell/Williams denied it.

So can anyone tell me what really happened - realise it would be in their interests to cover a huge gaff, but did they cover??
Old 10 Jun 2002, 20:37 (Ref:309989)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
i know that this is the popular story, and the 1 most want to believe, but John Watson was talking about it on SKY, and mentioned something about (and i can't remember exactly) but where he was slowing down throughout that final lap ,(slowing too quickly if that makes sense) and something in the engine (power proberbly) wasn't enough to stop it from stalling, as i said before, i can't remember what he said exactly, 'll have to watch it again and post it for you.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 20:43 (Ref:309994)   #3
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what was said was from Sky lane pit reporter PETER WINDSOR to John Watson i think . Peter was the team manager of Williams when Mansell was racing in 91 , so he knew what he was talking about.

They said that as mansell was on his final lap he had a electrical glitch that re-set the rev limit every time a gear change was made , so the revs set themselfs lower and lower until at the hairpin , Mansell knew he wouldnt get round it in the gear he was in , so he had to change down once more , but then the car problem set the revs so low that it cut out .
Old 10 Jun 2002, 21:09 (Ref:310016)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You can see lots of our opinions on what happened at Canada 91 and 82 thread!
Old 11 Jun 2002, 08:22 (Ref:310366)   #5
RacerX
Rookie

Thanks all.... very interesting answers. Isn't it er... a bit naff that our supposed Race Expert/Lead commentator is talking absolute chuff then?

He might as well go and work for the Sun...
Old 11 Jun 2002, 08:25 (Ref:310369)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
You can see lots of our opinions on what happened at Canada 91 and 82 thread!
the problem being, they're proberbly all wrong!!! as Sato San explained in his post, Peter Windsor told what exactly happened, the problem is, thats a boring answer, and not the one everyone wants to hear!!
Old 11 Jun 2002, 08:44 (Ref:310383)   #7
RacerX
Rookie

I remember watching it and couldn't believe the stock answer being given (about the kill switch).
Then forgot all about it until James brought it up again.

Even though it's a boring answer, it's more realistic and I'll believe it
Old 11 Jun 2002, 08:58 (Ref:310397)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not saying that Peter's version is incorrect, but it does seem to contradict what we remember Patrick Head saying about the incident.
Quote:
posted by Muzza in the other Canada thread
I read an interview with Patrick Head on this subject. Mansell came to the hairpin in 5th gear and did not gear down. It was not a mechanic failure. And the exit of the turn the engine was running on low, he did not pump the clutch and the car stalled
And as Jonny Apex said why was Mansell waving to the crowd if he had a problem?
:confused:

Last edited by Adam43; 11 Jun 2002 at 09:03.