Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Mar 2006, 21:36 (Ref:1559934)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
VSCC Spring Start, Saturday, 8 April (with photos)

I always enjoy this meeting which usually marks the start of my spectating season so I'm hoping to be able to get there again this year. Anyone else here, going?
Old 25 Mar 2006, 11:44 (Ref:1560305)   #2
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't missed one for twenty-something years!
Old 25 Mar 2006, 13:05 (Ref:1560338)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can't claim that sort of record David, but I'm certainly intending to go.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 20:25 (Ref:1561569)   #4
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So John, you are not an early riser then? I was at Silverstone for the Brticars on Saturday, and I stayed until the end. It was wet most of the time and 110 minute races are rarely exciting for long, but like a 'true enthusiast' I stuck it out!

Enough of this boasting, I'll look out for you at the VSCC 'stone, a 'not-to-be-missed' event.

Regards,

Bauble.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 07:13 (Ref:1561984)   #5
Chris Roden
Racer

Chris Roden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Expecting to be there, entry is in, fingers crossed we don't get rejected.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 16:31 (Ref:1566226)   #6
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
gungadan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
I always enjoy this meeting which usually marks the start of my spectating season so I'm hoping to be able to get there again this year. Anyone else here, going?
I'll be there taking photos. Looking forward to it but I'm not a huge fan of Silverstone from a spectating/photography point of view - specially if we're treated to the ususal Silverstone weather!
Old 4 Apr 2006, 20:33 (Ref:1570845)   #7
Stone Man
Rookie

Stone Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What can I look for at VSCC this Saturday

I'm "On the bank" this weekend at Silverstone so what should I (and my fellow Silverstone Marshals) be looking out for.

There is no prize, but we might give you a better wave at the end of the practice/race if we have some guidance from those in the know!
Old 4 Apr 2006, 20:40 (Ref:1570852)   #8
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lots of Oil
Drivers who are Older than their car
Syd never getting out of 2nd gear

A Lot of Fun
Old 5 Apr 2006, 07:04 (Ref:1571125)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Plenty of blue smoke, especially if some of the big Bentley specials are there.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 07:27 (Ref:1571134)   #10
Chris Roden
Racer

You can look out for me, car 134, I'll be going slowly so you will get plenty of time to observe (no I'm NOT older than my car!)

Chris Williams in the Napier Bentley is usually entertaining, 24 litres on skinny tyres, see HERE

Mark Walker will be excellent value in Thunderbug see THIS thread.

Julian Bronson will be quick in his blown Riley.

....and of course, if you are a celeb hunter, Nick Mason will be out in a type 35 Bugatti, and a Maserati 250F.

see HERE for the official blurb.

I believe that competitors are giving marshals rides round the track at lunchtime too, which is a nice touch.
My co-driver will be performing this particular task though 'cos I have to attend a briefing

Last edited by Chris Roden; 5 Apr 2006 at 07:31. Reason: Speelin'
Old 5 Apr 2006, 07:45 (Ref:1571141)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Chris, you'll be in the Riley 12/4? If you see a bewhiskered old tramplike figure (with a woolly hat if it's cold) wandering around taking paddock pics, there's a good chance it'll be me!

(I've merged my old thread with Stone man's as it is more or less the same subject!)
Old 5 Apr 2006, 12:31 (Ref:1571376)   #12
Chris Roden
Racer

John
I will be in the 12/4 as usual, come and say hello
Old 9 Apr 2006, 10:12 (Ref:1574415)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Hi Chris, I was able to find the car, but not you! Here's the proof:-

Another great turnout of cars and personally, I had the pleasure of meeting up with fellow mod, TimD and fellow 10-Tenthers, Stoffer Green and his brother, Nick, 'bauble' and Ted Walker. also managed a few chats with drivers.

The Mason family were out in force, very supportive of the event; good on them! Here's Annette Mason's Bugatti T35:-

Lot's of fascinating cars in the paddock. This one, the Parson MG was of particular interest, since the owner/driver, David Clewley, told us that this was it's first race outing in this country for 50 years! There is an interesting history to this car which I'm hoping that Tim might tell us about next time he pops in.

I spent the afternoon on the outside of Luffield. Unfortunately, because they have pulled down the stands there, there was no protection from the bitterly cold wind (it was otherwise a lovely sunny day!) so for the second weekend running, I retired 'hurt' before the end of the racing. Stayed around until the end of Race 9 (out of 11) and did manage between filming to snatch a few 'action' stills which I will put on here a bit later!
Old 9 Apr 2006, 16:23 (Ref:1574638)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Crowded in Luffield:-

Whilst Tom Delaney (now aged 95, I think!) who was followed around by a camera crew for much of the day, presses on ........

....... his son, Geoffrey, also upholds Lea Francis honour and keeps close company with Andy Bell's recently restored Aston Martin Speed Model Monoposto and Robert Towell's Morgan Aero:-

Chris Williams with 24 litres of Napier Bentley did his best to prevent Julian Majzub winning the Itala Trophy for the fourth year in succession .......

..... including laying down a smoke screen on the exit of Luffield:-

All to no avail though, as Majzub got the Bentley Pacey-Hassan ahead through Copse, and in his attempt to stay in contention, Williams put the power on a bit too early coming out of Brooklands and gently spun off and then retired. Ironic really, because had he managed to keep going he probably would have won, since Majzub's car lost power and pace over the last few laps and would probably have been overhauled.
Old 9 Apr 2006, 17:06 (Ref:1574663)   #15
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Williams put the power on a bit too early coming out of Brooklands and gently spun off and then retired.
He carried on after the Brooklands gilhooley but then spectacularly blew the right rear tyre at Becketts on the next lap.

Sorry I missed you at Ted's in the morning, by the way John
Old 9 Apr 2006, 17:57 (Ref:1574694)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
David, we should have met up! Next time, eh? I did see Williams carry on but didn't see him come round again so assumed that his 'off' had caused his ultimate retirement. Not surprising it was his right rear that blew, he left most of its rubber exiting Luffield!
Old 9 Apr 2006, 19:17 (Ref:1574763)   #17
hodsonaj
Rookie

hodsonaj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris Williams must have been a candidate for drive of the day, but as an Austin Man my vote would go to Terry Rowing for that drive from scratch in one of the handicaps (sorry, programme still in car which wife has just taken out!). He even had to sit up on the back of the car at the start to see the flag over the car in front!
Tony Hodson
Old 10 Apr 2006, 08:50 (Ref:1575302)   #18
Chris Roden
Racer

[QUOTE=John Turner]Hi Chris, I was able to find the car, but not you!

John
Sorry to have missed you.
Judging by the fact that Tina's (so she can reach the pedals) extra cushions are in the car your photo was taken when I was in a drivers briefing and Tina was signing on ready to collect Marshals from their posts for the lunch break.

It was a nice idea of the club to arrange for Marshals to be chauffeured back to the pit lane. It was a shame though that most of the cars involved were non competitors and that very few marshals took advantage of the opportunity.

We had a good day, nice to meet up with so many people after the winter lay off.

Last edited by Chris Roden; 10 Apr 2006 at 08:51. Reason: To remove photos
Old 10 Apr 2006, 19:35 (Ref:1577929)   #19
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A great meeting, with some wonderful cars. The Napier Bentley was excellent viewing from Luffield, shame the tyre didn't last the race.

I agree about the chill factor on the terrace, that was bitter.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 13:28 (Ref:1578558)   #20
David Lawson
Rookie

David Lawson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark Walker was good value on Saturday.

David
Old 11 Apr 2006, 16:31 (Ref:1578673)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
He always is; that car rarely travels in a straight line! Nice picture, David, and if you want to see a few more pics and a bit more info, see here:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79927
Old 11 Apr 2006, 18:00 (Ref:1578713)   #22
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, well up to VSCC standards with excellent racing and friendly competitors, and so much to photograph. Wish I knew how to post pics on the site as I took loads, including a couple of a 'whiskery old tramp' with a camera (sorry John,no offence intended).
Great to see the Farrelac winning as I knew Don Farrell who built the car originally. In fact I often cycled from Barnet to Silverstone on my Farrell bike.
I remember the Parson MG from my youth and will try and recall what I can of the car.

bauble
Old 12 Apr 2006, 07:28 (Ref:1579200)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble
.... and so much to photograph. Wish I knew how to post pics on the site as I took loads, including a couple of a 'whiskery old tramp' with a camera (sorry John,no offence intended).bauble
None taken!

I'll put a pic. of the Farrellac up later!
Old 15 Apr 2006, 19:37 (Ref:1583022)   #24
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Herewith the Farrellac, taken in the pits garage last weekend:-

Old 16 Apr 2006, 11:49 (Ref:1584926)   #25
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Sorry it's taken me so long to find this thread.
A big thank you from the pit lane marshals. A great day with some fantastic machinery. Apologies for being so rigid about clearing the pit wall during starts and nobody under 16 being allowed in the pit lane, but those is the rules, and we would hate anything bad to happen because we were a bit slack. Thanks to Nick Mason's crew for persuading Nick to race the Maserati, and congradulations to Miss Mason for winning her first race, in the Aston. Thanks to David for such a great picture of Mark Walker, I love that car.
Be careful out there. TTFN.