Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 May 2019, 23:13 (Ref:3907073)   #301
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Did you look at the date before rushing in to post?
It has been repeated on a number of credible websites this week... in reality the link makes as much sense as the Nissan/Renault/Mitsubishi/Fiat deal...

They are all strong in their niches, but not across the whole market.
Ford is getting out of passenger cars, keeping sports performance platforms like Mustang and F-series trucks, while GM has strengths in passenger cars.

The world is an evolving place after all...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 31 May 2019, 12:09 (Ref:3907156)   #302
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps link to the credible sites rather than a ten year old article that was most probably a beat up in the first place. I wonder if it was to be formally proposed whether it would be allowed to happen? Yes, anything can be proposed by anybody but certain things are somewhere on the other side of unlikely though not impossible.
Old 1 Jun 2019, 01:01 (Ref:3907236)   #303
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
More modern link to the story - May 30 2019
Old 2 Jun 2019, 01:59 (Ref:3907445)   #304
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Thanks for the link but when it starts to get seriously discussed by the two companies then we have something to talk about but so far it is only the same story being regurgitated for column inches. The Renault/Chrysler/Fiat/Nissan/Mitsubishi situation has reached that stage of serious discussion but the final approval from the approving authorities will be hard to achieve . Japanese approval could be particularly difficult due to the Nissan/Ghosin legal issue now currently taking place. There has also been talk and I can't remember where I read it that serious consideration is being given to breaking up VW by the current management as it is too diverse to control properly. After all the acquisitions they have done VW have come to the conclusion that it is not a good business idea....maybe and watch this space would apply also on this story as some of this story is a few years old and has never gone beyond speculation to anyone's knowledge.
Old 2 Jun 2019, 02:44 (Ref:3907446)   #305
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
FCA and Renault don't need Japanese approval. Nissan owns 15% of Renault and no seats on the board.
Old 8 Jun 2019, 05:27 (Ref:3908583)   #306
Casper
Veteran

I must have known something or perhaps wiser minds prevailed

https://jalopnik.com/what-the-hell-h...sle-1835295448
Old 10 Jun 2019, 02:12 (Ref:3908951)   #307
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am surprised it went south so quickly, but not that it went south.

When I looked at the statements attributed to the French and Italian governments (basically 'no pain in our patch'), they were so incompatible that either there was no point in consummating the merger, or one would have to back down.

It is possible that this is a temporary separation, to allow each to say, 'we tried', close a few plants, and hey presto the big pain has been inflicted and the way is now clear to reopen the talks because no big closures are envisaged.

However both have no declared that they are in play, and maybe a third party will appear and the water will get even muddier!
Old 2 Dec 2019, 06:42 (Ref:3944164)   #308
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holden MD resigns as sales slump to an all time low:

https://www.news.com.au/technology/i...d60e41e6c8eeec

That was Holden's 7th MD in 10 years too
Old 2 Dec 2019, 08:41 (Ref:3944177)   #309
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
Holden MD resigns as sales slump to an all time low:

https://www.news.com.au/technology/i...d60e41e6c8eeec

That was Holden's 7th MD in 10 years too
Worst result since 1948 apparently.
Old 2 Dec 2019, 22:32 (Ref:3944406)   #310
Forda
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Worst result since 1948 apparently.
It would have to be a very real concern for Holden - they're no longer a top ten selling brand; and are close to being eclipsed by Isuzu, once their sub-brand/supplier.

Selling increasingly smaller quantities of Commodores each month would make the justification process for spending multi-million dollar amounts racing them each year very hard.

And given GM have exited other regions in the world recently, they must surely be watching carefully over the Australian operations now.
Old 3 Dec 2019, 04:35 (Ref:3944445)   #311
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Longer are they Holden or a V8, times are a changin

Its a shame really for both Holden and Ford.
Old 3 Dec 2019, 05:19 (Ref:3944446)   #312
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It would have to be a very real concern for Holden - they're no longer a top ten selling brand; and are close to being eclipsed by Isuzu, once their sub-brand/supplier.
and Isuzu only have 2 models in their showroom.

Other than engine, gearboxes and front sheet metal. Holden have those same models in their showroom.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 3 Dec 2019, 09:53 (Ref:3944472)   #313
Forda
Veteran

Foges on Holden's dire future:
https://autoaction.com.au/2019/12/03...-racing-future

Doesn't address though whether Supercars has any sort of contingency in place, should Holden disappear altogether.
Old 4 Dec 2019, 02:19 (Ref:3944652)   #314
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

Doesn't address though whether Supercars has any sort of contingency in place, should Holden disappear altogether.
Will the contingency plan be GT3 or GT4???
Old 4 Dec 2019, 03:58 (Ref:3944657)   #315
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

That’s nice and all but I can’t see anyone or anything stopping Holden’s slide down the sales charts.

It’s sad but if you look at any of their product range and then look at their competitors and it’s hard to go with Holden’s offerings. I doubt even if they made a rear wheel drive V8 powered ZB it would do much.
Old 5 Dec 2019, 00:31 (Ref:3944882)   #316
Forda
Veteran

Opel-sourced Commodore's future is in doubt, US version axed, Holden insiders claim the AU model will be phased out by late 2020.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/812053/...ture-in-doubt/
Old 9 Dec 2019, 00:48 (Ref:3945640)   #317
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The times certainly are changing, and there is some very big, very clear writing on the wall.

Will Ford and GM see enough return to maintain a Supercars role, any role let alone a dominant one, on the basis of selling a few Mustangs and Camaros (the Commodore has to be dead meat now)?

I reckon Supercars is dying, only waiting for the vet to come along with the humane killer. I used to think Ford was the weak link, but now I think GM will be the one to pull the plug.

Big question - will we see a reincarnation of touring car racing, in some shape or form? If so, in just what form will it reemerge? Is the economy generally, and the new car market in particular, strong enough to support it?

Or are we looking at a contraction back to a more club-racer scene? Can S5000 become the flagship, the drawer of crowds that will reinvigorate the racing scene?
Old 9 Dec 2019, 09:43 (Ref:3945669)   #318
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
The times certainly are changing, and there is some very big, very clear writing on the wall.

Will Ford and GM see enough return to maintain a Supercars role, any role let alone a dominant one, on the basis of selling a few Mustangs and Camaros (the Commodore has to be dead meat now)?

I reckon Supercars is dying, only waiting for the vet to come along with the humane killer. I used to think Ford was the weak link, but now I think GM will be the one to pull the plug.

Big question - will we see a reincarnation of touring car racing, in some shape or form? If so, in just what form will it reemerge? Is the economy generally, and the new car market in particular, strong enough to support it?

Or are we looking at a contraction back to a more club-racer scene? Can S5000 become the flagship, the drawer of crowds that will reinvigorate the racing scene?
TCR series is where it's at. Plus GT3 (I know it's pretty lean atm, but a little time, it could boom)
Old 9 Dec 2019, 11:41 (Ref:3945691)   #319
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Supercars missed the boat on both.
Old 10 Dec 2019, 01:54 (Ref:3945859)   #320
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
GT3 has been an obvious choice for some time but not a good place for holden to go and play so we all got stuck with supercars like it or not.
Old 10 Dec 2019, 04:28 (Ref:3945865)   #321
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well as of today the Commodore is no more.
Lucky enough I have an SS in the Garage for my memories !
Old 10 Dec 2019, 04:29 (Ref:3945867)   #322
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Well as of today the Commodore is no more.
Lucky enough I have an SS in the Garage for my memories !
Same. Plus a GTS-R
Old 10 Dec 2019, 04:59 (Ref:3945872)   #323
Forda
Veteran

So it's now official the Commodore will be gone - the signs have been there for some time, and plenty of hints have been given over the past couple of weeks.

Where to for Supercars, a series moulded to suit the Commodore, and the Falcon before it?
No other manufacturers seem to want to join, and Holden are on the ropes.

What will the value of Archer's $100M+ equity be, in a series without clear direction
Old 10 Dec 2019, 05:04 (Ref:3945873)   #324
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I doubt even if they made a rear wheel drive V8 powered ZB it would do much.
It's not? But I thought the Mustang was apparently the sports sedan.

Will Holden consider homologating the Camero or is it time to completely revamp the series?
Old 10 Dec 2019, 05:32 (Ref:3945874)   #325
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
It's not? But I thought the Mustang was apparently the sports sedan.

Will Holden consider homologating the Camero or is it time to completely revamp the series?
Holden don't import the Camaro, not made in RHD and Walkinshaw did look at it but it wouldn't fit and couldn't be massaged to fit in the current configuration.