Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 30 Oct 2010, 03:29 (Ref:2782401)   #476
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post
100%. I'm quite happy with ALMS's niche nature, it could use a few more fans to make some venues look full, but other than that, we are a knowledgeable bunch quite a bit more than the average casual NASCAR fan who knows nothing and you constantly feel like you have to explain stuff.

As with everything on 10-10ths this topic has drifted slightly off topic, its okay though as I'm sure some fans are concerned about the recent Grand Am announcements, big f'in deal actually.

We still have the best GT class (series) and they'll have to match that intensity, I don't think they can, with spec tires and I'm sure some competition adjustments to car designed by the manufactures to win, as suppose built by some guys in a garage someplace with 1/3 of the R&D budget and no legacy to protect.
I remember in business school, the thinking for any business was expand, expand, expand. I always disagreed with that as I believe sometimes it's better to do a few things well than many things poorly. ALMS doesn't need 50 million fans to "be somebody". I think if anything the series needs to play on the strengths and I would prefer for it to move towards a pure endurance championship with events of the caliber of Petit Lemans or Sebring.

Let Grand Am do their thing, whatever that is. If there is some touring car championship that comes out of all this and you end up with a DTM style series, I'll probably watch despite being somewhat opposed to nascar trying to monopolize professional american motorsport.

The whole DTM idea, honestly I was a huge fan of DTM in the 1990's, but now it sucks. The cars have nothing to do with road cars and it's just a bore to watch it. Italian Superstars is where the action is.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 03:55 (Ref:2782407)   #477
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
V8 supercars in Australia are working on reducing costs, but the people who run it, have this quaint little notion that their series is at the centre of the motor racing universe. They make all the noises, that they want to play a game internationally, but their mindset has and always will be to keep the outdated Ford /GM battle alive and well in Australia. I would welcome a change to build an alliance but I can't see it happening here with V8SC anytime soon.
This. And this is why there will never be a linkup with DTM so you can pretty much cut V8 Supercars out of this, despite what some people in Australia think. Same thing happened with Mercedes supposedly joining. Sheesh.

It doesnt really bother me with SGT, DTM and Grand AM dont link up, each series has their own unique cars and despite the economic benefits I dont see why its that important. Super GT will survive without DTM and vice versa, and from the sounds of it that wont happen soon. And as for Grand Am-oh who knows? I got a headache.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 08:34 (Ref:2782447)   #478
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
DTM/SuperGT link up would be great, if they keep SuperGT style cars and modify some of the DTM rules.
Old 5 Nov 2010, 04:04 (Ref:2785220)   #479
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2012, SGT is going to allow 4 door cars, KERS, and prohibit aero development in GT500.

http://www.jaf.or.jp/msports/msinfo/...ms_news201.pdf

Regs to the hookup with the DTM. Hmm, maybe that would make the DTM races exciting.

I can't see V8SC wanting to merge regs with another series, it seems it's either their way in Austrailia or the highway. It's a shame because the cars are lovely and racing is great. DTM could sure follow the formula for some excitement, and if Americans had a brain then I feel it'd be very popular over here, despite probalbly being ugly Mustangs, Comaros, and Chargers instead of proper V8 saloons.

Common regs with DTM and SGT would possibly allow German and Japanese cars in the mix.

GA and DP's can do whatever. They may adopt full on FIA GT3 cars and see some health there, which I really think they should. They have the idea right with new DP's looking even more like production models, but with the development freeze and lack of manufactuer support from pro factory teams it won't go very far I think, just like the current DP's.

Really wish the ACO would atleast realize that for interest in prototypes, they are going to have to return to the cars in the late 90's. Production based prototypes though, no need to build roadcars for homoligation and waste money, which is one reason I believe why the ACO changed the regs for top prototypes and those lovely and true GT1 cars stopped racing.

I really think the ultimate format for endurance sportscars is as easy as GT1, 2, and 3. GT3 and GT2 remain the same in the current health they are in, cars on pretty simalar performance levels, but with GT3 being solely for privateers and pro-am drivers. Still can race GT2 if desired, but there you have the pro manufactuer teams going at it fullspeed. The new GT1 will replace LMP, return to cars simalar to the late 90's GT1's but pure prototypes only production based, and be reserved for the top manufactuer teams.
Old 5 Nov 2010, 15:47 (Ref:2785425)   #480
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The late '90's GT1's were an interim period between Group C and LMP.

Cars like the R390, GT-ONE and Panoz had no resemblance to any road car and the various Porsche and Mercedes only had similar noses, something which can be carried over today if so desired.

It's also worth pointing out the 908 is probably better known than any GT1 thanks to it featuring heavily in Gran Turismo and Forza.
Old 5 Nov 2010, 16:28 (Ref:2785439)   #481
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But the point is that those GT1 cars could easily be recognized by the average Joe. Brand identity, that's what I think LMP needs to be successful with more manufactuers. Yes prototypes have nothing to do with road cars (unless the rules mandate either production engines or modifed production engines), but the manufactuers will beable to race in the top class for overall wins and easy recognion of their brand winning.
Old 5 Nov 2010, 17:20 (Ref:2785454)   #482
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ive said it before but I think brand recognition comes from marketing and promoting your activities, that's why Audi vs Peugeot has generated column inches in UK newspapers.
Old 5 Nov 2010, 19:57 (Ref:2785534)   #483
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog07 View Post
But the point is that those GT1 cars could easily be recognized by the average Joe. Brand identity, that's what I think LMP needs to be successful with more manufactuers. Yes prototypes have nothing to do with road cars (unless the rules mandate either production engines or modifed production engines), but the manufactuers will beable to race in the top class for overall wins and easy recognion of their brand winning.
I don't believe it has anything to do with brand recognition. It comes down to two major items. Marketing a Diesel has very limited appeal, as in only a few manufacturers are interested. To win at LM, you have needed to build a Diesel. Second, the corporate world is facing greater scrutiny, by boards of directors in the way they spend their money. This goes for both manufacturers and potential sponsors. Sportscar racing is a small niche, that is a very difficult sale. Apparently Audi NA, believed the ROI wasn't big enough to run in the ALMS next year, and they already have a car built, so don't require that portion of the budget.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 00:23 (Ref:2785637)   #484
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rich07 wrote:
Quote:
And this is why there will never be a linkup with DTM so you can pretty much cut V8 Supercars out of this, despite what some people in Australia think.
"Some people" like Tony Cochrane?
Old 6 Nov 2010, 08:20 (Ref:2785694)   #485
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK View Post
"Some people" like Tony Cochrane?
Most motorsport fans here in Australia have a similar opinion of Cochrane, as you do of Scott Atherton, and take his ridiculous ramblings with a grain of salt.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 18:38 (Ref:2785930)   #486
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
The Lambos for Grand Am are indeed GT3-cars. However not the current spec LP560, but the regular ones that were built between 2006 and 2008.

Source
Old 7 Nov 2010, 01:05 (Ref:2786084)   #487
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Rich07 wrote: "Some people" like Tony Cochrane?
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
Most motorsport fans here in Australia have a similar opinion of Cochrane, as you do of Scott Atherton, and take his ridiculous ramblings with a grain of salt.
Bingo on both counts. You can be safe in cutting V8SC out of this.

Anyway wonder what the go is with using the older Gallardo? $$?
Old 18 Nov 2010, 05:25 (Ref:2792432)   #488
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murphy tweets that a new team to contest the Rolex 24 for Ferrari could be announced via a press release as soon as tomorrow (November 18).
Old 18 Nov 2010, 14:39 (Ref:2792655)   #489
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Murphy tweets that a new team to contest the Rolex 24 for Ferrari could be announced via a press release as soon as tomorrow (November 18).
Could this have something to do with Tony's project?
Old 18 Nov 2010, 16:32 (Ref:2792710)   #490
TWK
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Could this have something to do with Tony's project?
Yes.

Quote:
Rolex 24 Ferrari GT announcement imminent; quality of effort indicated by "modern alchemist" and drivers Bell, Simonsen, and Farnbacher. about 15 hours ago via web
Old 19 Nov 2010, 04:33 (Ref:2792969)   #491
TWK
Veteran

FERRARI GT ASSAULT ON
ROLEX 24 AT DAYTONA
CUMMING, GA, Thursday, November 16, 2010: Veteran motorsports boss Tony Dowe is set to launch a Ferrari 430 GT assault on next year’s Rolex 24 at Daytona – aiming to take the Ferrari marque back to victory lane in Grand-Am Rolex Series competition for the first time since 2004.

The man who led the TWR Jaguar squad to overall victory in the 24 Hour classic in 1988 and 1990 and a class win in 1992, Dowe has assembled a top-line international driver line up for the January race for his Aten Motorsports squad featuring German Dominik Farnbacher, Brit Rob Bell and Danish driver Allan Simonsen.
All three have achieved great success aboard the Ferrari 430 in the past and the trio have a successful driving history together as teammates.

Farnbacher finished second with Dirk Müller in the GT class of the 2008 American Le Mans Series for Tafel Racing – a team run by Tony Dowe.

The 26-year-old also has been driving a Ferrari alongside Simonsen for the past two seasons in the European-based Le Mans Series. Their results have included a 2nd place in GT at the 24 Hours of Le Mans and victory in the Asian Le Mans Series last year.

Farnbacher also contested Sebring and Petit Le Mans with Scott Sharp’s Extreme Speed Motorsports aboard a 430 last season.

Both Simonsen (32) and Bell (31) also contested endurance races for the Dowe-led Tafel team in 2008 the duo also drove together in the Le Mans Series in 2007 – Bell taking the series crown. Only a clashing V8 Supercar race in Australia prevented Simonsen from having him share the championship with his teammate. Bell took his second LMS GT crown in 2008.

Simonsen (pictured below right with Farnbacher) also regularly competes in the British GT Championship aboard a 430 GT – winning the final round of this year’s championship at Donington Park.

The Ferrari 430 GT has never won in Rolex Series competition – a fact Dowe, Farnbacher, Bell and Simonsen are looking to erase in January at Daytona. The last Rolex Series victories for the Prancing Horse marque were in 2002 when the Ferrari of Washington-entered Ferrari 360 GT won five races en route to the series championship.

Ferrari however does have a strong winning heritage at Daytona. Pedro RodrÃ*guez won a three-hour sportscar event at Daytona in 1963 and teamed up with Phil Hill to win a 2000-mile enduro the following year.

Ferrari’s first 24 Hour victory came in 1967 with Lorenzo Bandini and Chris Amon while legends Marino Andretti and Jacky Ickx won a six-hour event in 1972. Ferrari’s last overall win came in 1998 with Mauro Baldi, Arie Luyendyk, Gianpiero Moretti and Didier Theys winning aboard a 333SP.

At the Rolex 24 at Daytona, the Aten Motorsports squad will face stiff opposition – doing battle against the 2010 championship-winning Mazda RX8s and additional entries from Porsche, BMW, the Chevrolet Camaro and Corvette plus a new Lamborghini.

Dowe’s distinguished career began in the UK, working as a mechanic in Formula 1 for the Ensign, Brabham and Wolf teams before heading to the US in 1980 as chief mechanic for Patrick Tambay’s championship winning CanAM car entered by Carl Haas.

After working for Jim Hall’s Chaparral outfit in Indycars, Dowe was appointed as team manager for the newly formed Newman-Haas Indycar outfit in 1982 – eventually winning the title in 1984.

He was charged with establishing the Tom Walkinshaw Racing Jaguar US-base in late 1987 and began a remarkable run of success including three Daytona victories, 16 IMSA GTP wins and success at the 1990 24 Hours of Le Mans running the car of Martin Brundle, John Nielsen and Price Cobb.

Further stints followed in Formula 1 with the TWR group at Ligier and Arrows before returning stateside to run successful programs for Panoz, Dick Barbour and Tafel Racing – all based in Atlanta. He also took a class win at Daytona in 2003 running the Team Seattle SRP2 cars to 1st and 2nd in class.

The new Aten Motorsports #00 Ferrari 430 GT will hit the track for the first time prior to Thanksgiving in Sebring before final preparations commence for the Roar Before the Rolex 24 test days from January 7-9.

Dowe has pulled people from many of the past successful programs to form the core of the Aten Motorsports team for Daytona. Partners and sponsors for the campaign will be announced closer to the event.

The 2011 Rolex 24 at Daytona will be staged from January 27-30 and will be broadcast live on SPEED in the US.

TONY DOWE

“I’ve had great success at Daytona in the past and I am really looking forward to going back next January with the Ferrari 430. I always used to think you had to crazy to enjoy 24-hour races but as I have got older I have actually started to enjoy them.

“However, you really don’t want to go and do these races unless you have a serious shot at winning and I think with our driver line-up we have an outstanding opportunity.

“Dominik, Rob and Allan have a lot of experience, speed and success in the Ferrari 430 GT and we will be looking forward to take advantage of that.

“The best driver driver line-up I ever had at Daytona was David Brabham, Scott Pruett, Davy Jones and Scott Goodyear in 1992 when we won the GTP class. These guys I have now are very similar. They are young, hungry and very smart drivers who are extremely keen to win.

“They know what is expected and they do what is necessary. The confidence those guys have really spreads through the whole team.

“I’m very keen to take the Ferrari back to victory lane in Rolex Series competition. The fight out there in the GT class is very competitive but we are very fortunate to have an outstanding group of people backing this effort who have great confidence in the team and the drivers.

“We are looking forward to repaying that faith they have put in us.”

DOMINIK FARNBACHER

“It is great to be working with Tony again and I am really looking forward to the Rolex 24. Tony was the guy who initially brought me over to the US for racing and gave me an opportunity.

“When he offered me this drive for Daytona I jumped at the chance because he has a fantastic track record in putting together very fast cars and the chance to drive again with Rob and Allan was fantastic.

“Rob is a great guy and very fast. He drove with me at Tafel Racing in 2008 in the ALMS endurance races and he has a championship under his belt aboard the Ferrari as well.

“Allan is my regular teammate in Europe and we have driven together twice at Le Mans, this year at the Nurburgring 24 Hour and we won the Asian Le Mans Series in the GT class last year.

“The three of us are a great combination and I think we have a great chance to really rock the Rolex 24 Hour.”

ROB BELL

“This will be my first Rolex 24 Hour at Daytona and I can’t wait to join Dominik and Allan for the race. Daytona is obviously one of the biggest races on the calendar and the chance to team up again with these guys is a fantastic opportunity.

“They have both been my teammates in the past but this will be the first time we have all driven together in the one car. We’ve all worked well together in the past and now with the three of us together, I think we should be remarkably strong.

“I’m really looking forward to getting back into a Ferrari as well. The 430 has given me a championship in the past and I know Tony always puts together a great team of people and turns out exceptionally prepared cars.

“He has incredible experience in these endurance races – that gives us drivers tremendous confidence because we know the car will be strong and strategy will be solid.”

ALLAN SIMSONSEN

“The Rolex 24 Hour is right up there as one of the races that you really want to win.

“Tony has put together a fantastic program with an amazing driver line-up. I know Rob and Dominik probably better than any other guys I have driven with in the past.

“We know we will have the equipment to do the job and I am really looking forward to it.

“We’re certainly going there to win. Dominik has won there before so I think this is going to be a very strong program.

“Daytona will be new for Rob but he is a very fast learner and by the time we’re finished with the test day we should be right up to speed.”
Old 19 Nov 2010, 04:34 (Ref:2792971)   #492
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Sounds very serious. Wonder if ferrari have anything to do with this at all? Could be using Hankook tires (Alan Simonsen is a official Hankook driver-unless something has changed recently).
Old 19 Nov 2010, 04:43 (Ref:2792972)   #493
TWK
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Sounds very serious. Wonder if ferrari have anything to do with this at all? Could be using Hankook tires (Alan Simonsen is a official Hankook driver-unless something has changed recently).
Answer to first question: Yes. Hankook? Not a chance. "The Modern Alchemist" thanks to Kerry Morse at sportscarpros...most will enjoy this:

http://sportscarpros.anamera.com/not...st/default.htm
Old 19 Nov 2010, 05:17 (Ref:2792977)   #494
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Answer to first question: Yes. Hankook? Not a chance. "The Modern Alchemist" thanks to Kerry Morse at sportscarpros...most will enjoy this:

http://sportscarpros.anamera.com/not...st/default.htm
Ah that explains it (regarding the name). Factory involvement but no hankooks (michelin?). I see you read my original post before I edited it, I actually did that after posting my post which must've been seconds after you posted up the press release.
Old 19 Nov 2010, 09:47 (Ref:2793031)   #495
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Grand Am has a Continental Spec Tire. They had Pirelli until this year, but they've switched to Continental for 2011 - however, since there have been issues in early testing with Continental's new product, they'll run on the Hoosiers that they had until 2008(?) for the 24 hours and until Continental can produce a sufficiently durable tire on their own.
Conti and Hoosier are in a strategic alliance in the areas of marketing and product developement, so they'll badge these Hoosiers as Contis anyway.

And now tell me, that there's no variety in tires in Grand Am...