Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 18 Jun 2018, 12:47 (Ref:3831628)   #196
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Over his career Meeke has probably wrecked more often than his teams would have liked, but you could say that about McRae too.

Bottom line is that, even with the current Citroen, Meeke might just win you rallies. Breen might just get you fifth place.
Old 19 Jun 2018, 08:31 (Ref:3831824)   #197
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think on balance you have to look at it overall as a decision based around what they said, safety and money. He was very close to hurting himself and his pal in Portugal. Look at Mexico last year, a pathetic error.

Do you not think, that if they improve the car, Breen and others might get better results?

You could also say if they did Meeke would win easily, but he has only ever had one speed, and that speed means he has crashed out of winning positions many, many times. And would do the same with a better car, the notion that he only crashes coz he is pushing a naff car is garbage as he has always done it!

You have seen Neuville learn to temper the speed, Tanak too.

Latvala is always prone to errors, but not as big as Meeke. Ogier simply has pace over everyone as Loeb did.

Comparing with McRae is silly, as Col often was in the best cars at Subaru. Once in them he was better. But it has to be said DR was very close to getting rid of him as Citroen have him with Meeke.

The best comparison is Duval, and ironically, who got rid of him? Citroen. And why? Coz they risked losing the manufacturers title as Duval could not be trusted to finish behind Loeb.

I think Meeke has had a more than fair crack of the whip and I don't blame Citroen at all for getting rid. Yes it means they might struggle to win, but that is their call, they clearly feel it is a better solution than scrapping 4 or 5 million pound cars a year.
Old 19 Jun 2018, 12:13 (Ref:3831863)   #198
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have few complaints if they had made this decision at the end of the season. However, you just don't get rid of a driver mid season; unless it's a disciplinary reason.

If Citroen are happy with safe 5, 6,7th place finishes, then good for them.....
Old 20 Jun 2018, 09:07 (Ref:3832050)   #199
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ostberg has secured Meeke's seat for the rest of the season:

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...r-rest-of-2018

Great news for Ostberg (I actually really like him as a personality), but I still think we are highly unlikely to see a C3 on the top step of the podium.
Old 20 Jun 2018, 09:21 (Ref:3832053)   #200
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 has a real shot at the championship!BertMk2 has a real shot at the championship!BertMk2 has a real shot at the championship!BertMk2 has a real shot at the championship!BertMk2 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Ostberg has secured Meeke's seat for the rest of the season:

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...r-rest-of-2018

Great news for Ostberg (I actually really like him as a personality), but I still think we are highly unlikely to see a C3 on the top step of the podium.
That was the only real option wasn't it? I suppose they could have put Lefevbre in but they've already demoted him once so I guess they're not totally convinced by him either.

For next year do you think Citroen will try and lure Ogier? Or are they going to stick with Ostberg, Mikklesen and Breen?
Old 20 Jun 2018, 10:23 (Ref:3832065)   #201
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
For next year do you think Citroen will try and lure Ogier? Or are they going to stick with Ostberg, Mikklesen and Breen?
I think they might try and lure Ogier but, personally, I think that Ogier would be mad to leave M-Sport for Citroen at the moment.

Historically the Citroen team seem to be more receptive to Gallic drivers so perhaps Ogier would have a better time, but I still think there is something fundamentally wrong with the C3. Yeah, the M-Sport Fiesta might not be the best car in the current field, but it's competitive and a proven race winner during both this season and last year.

Despite the promises made recently, I still wouldn't be surprised if Citroen pull the plug at the end of the year.
Old 20 Jun 2018, 11:05 (Ref:3832070)   #202
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think there is anything wrong with the C3, Meeke could make it go quickly enough.

And it s clearly discipline that sacked him!
Old 20 Jun 2018, 11:28 (Ref:3832075)   #203
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 has a real shot at the championship!BertMk2 has a real shot at the championship!BertMk2 has a real shot at the championship!BertMk2 has a real shot at the championship!BertMk2 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with the C3,
The C3 appears to be the slowest of the current crop of cars - which is quickest is up for debate but the Citroens place at the bottom of the pile is fairly assured I'd have thought?

Quote:
Meeke could make it go quickly enough.

And it s clearly discipline that sacked him!
Do you think Mikkelsen, Ostberg and Breen that much slower than Meeke? Looking at the Citroen results I think it again points to the car not being that good. Mikklesen and Ostberg are decent drivers (not on Ogiers level but not many are!) and they're not getting results in the C3.
Old 20 Jun 2018, 11:36 (Ref:3832078)   #204
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I remember years back Loix in the Lancer, he couldn't get on with it despite being brilliant in the Celica and Corolla the years before. Maybe it's something as simple as car taste.

Maybe the others are easier to drive at the limit, Meeke has shown that the car is quick enough, and he is not as quick as Ogier or Neuviulle routinely.

So praps these current guys are just not quick enough or the car has an issue that they cant drive around.

It is rather odd considering Citroen engineered and built three brilliant cars over 20 years, the Xsara, C4 and Ds3.
Old 20 Jun 2018, 11:49 (Ref:3832082)   #205
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
Ostberg is a rally winner, but I doubt he’ll win with it either
Old 20 Jun 2018, 15:35 (Ref:3832131)   #206
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
It is rather odd considering Citroen engineered and built three brilliant cars over 20 years, the Xsara, C4 and Ds3.
This I definitely agree with. Remember when Meeke had the option of going to Toyota or Citroen and we all thought he would be mad to opt for Toyota? Now I wonder about that decision as the Toyota continues to surprise me (although the Yaris does seem fragile at times, so perhaps not a car for Meeke).

I am not sure what has changed at Citroen Racing. I know there were a lot of comments last year that Citroen had "bought a WTCC car to WRC", so perhaps there is more circuit experience among the current crop of Citroen engineers now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
The C3 appears to be the slowest of the current crop of cars - which is quickest is up for debate but the Citroens place at the bottom of the pile is fairly assured I'd have thought?
Yeah, I personally have the i20 pegged as the best all rounder, but I think you could reasonably argue the Fiesta or even the Yaris: the C3 seems to be unanimously declared the worst car of the lot though!

Even the senior Citroen team management have acknowledged there were/are issues last year.