Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Nov 2007, 22:29 (Ref:2078271)   #1
shhh
Veteran

Ireland
shhh has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Alex Zanardi - Famous pass, Laguna Seca 1996

Anyone remember this magic move from Alex in 96? Brilliant!

http://www.motorsportmad.com/view/29...t--famous-pass
Old 30 Nov 2007, 01:45 (Ref:2078379)   #2
Tony Clifton
Racer

Tony Clifton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember watching that live.
I was sitting in my living room and when Zanardi did not make the pass by the time they got through turn 4 I remember thinking "Well, Herta won, there are no more spots to pass on the track unless a miracle happens".
When they got to the top of the corkscrew and Zanardi went off line I yelled at the TV "I don't believe it!!!"

That pass made Zanardi's career.

It was always funny to hear Herta complain about Zanardi over the radio.

Nobody but nobody make a pass at the corkscrew, yet Zanardi did it.

Funny thing was Herta really came to disliking Zanardi, it seemed like every race when Herta was going to win Zanardi would pass him. It happened at Laguna Seca and it happened at Long Beach 1998, Herta also got the stiff hand at one of the Canadian races in 1997 when Alex was close to his first championship.
I was listening to my scanner, (LB 1998) Chip Ganassi kept telling Zanardi over the radio "Alex, push......Herta has worn tires" and finally Alex got by Herta at turn 1 (or it may have been 2 can't remember).
Before Herta got passed he kept calling to his pit, "my tires are worn, it is like being on ice skates right now". Pit told him to push as hard as he could without crashing.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 16:06 (Ref:2078801)   #3
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In today's world he'd have to give the lead back, being completely off the racing surface of the track and all.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 17:50 (Ref:2078880)   #4
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You mean like the F1 chaps in Japan?
Old 30 Nov 2007, 19:40 (Ref:2078942)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
well when tracy did at surfers paradise last year when he made no advantage..
Old 1 Dec 2007, 01:54 (Ref:2079130)   #6
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davhut
In today's world he'd have to give the lead back, being completely off the racing surface of the track and all.
In fact, that's true. The rules were changed after The Pass.

What I remember about that day is being the communicator at station 8A, in my very first visit to Laguna Seca. We watched them come over the lip of the Corkscrew side by side, and the general intake of breath from the crowd must have sucked just about all the oxygen out of the air up there at the top of the hill.

It's probably the call I'll remember making all my life: "New leader 4! New leader 4!"

Gives me shivers to remember it.
keke
Old 1 Dec 2007, 04:07 (Ref:2079173)   #7
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
nice agressive move but he couldnt quite make it stick could he. it was good for the show but definetly not a legit way to gain a position. dunno how the rules were in CART back in the days (find it a bit odd if this move was indeed unquestionable according to them) but from go-karts onwards one of the basic rules is: two white lines, one on your left the other on your right, those are the borders of the track. You leave them with 3-wheels to make a move, fine, 4th wheel goes out, you're not allowed to finish the move or you have to give the position you gained straight away
Old 1 Dec 2007, 04:33 (Ref:2079175)   #8
Davhut
Racer

Whatever one's opinion, it was an audacious move that worked. And added to the Zanardi/US magic.
He's a hero in many ways.
I did not know about the 3 wheel rule, but certainly my 12 y.o. will this coming kart season!
Old 1 Dec 2007, 05:08 (Ref:2079181)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dodgy as a pass as it was, it cemented Zanardi's career and highlighted Herta to be a B level driver, good enough to win a few races but not a champion.
Old 1 Dec 2007, 09:03 (Ref:2079228)   #10
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davhut
It's very easy to downplay it and say, "oh nowadays he wouldn't get away with it..."

But, the sheer audacity and bravery of it all, to me, outweighs any technicalities.

Motorsport is about entertainment and the absolute craziness of Zanardi's move totally ticked that box.
Old 2 Dec 2007, 11:33 (Ref:2079802)   #11
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After reading Alex's book it was ironic that he said he was never going to make the corner and would have taken Herta out if Herta hadn't seen him and given him room to try switch him back. I do remember though in later races Zanardi pretty much passed Herta for the lead many times which must have annoyed him especially as Zanardi replaced him at Chip Ganassi.
Old 2 Dec 2007, 19:33 (Ref:2080036)   #12
Tony Clifton
Racer

Tony Clifton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I remember correctly, Team Rahal DID protest the zanardi pass and very quickly and quietly Wally Dallenbach ruled the pass was legal and therefore Zanardi the winner of the race.

It was a good ruling.

The pass was made on the last lap, on TV, for the lead in the last race of the season.
It made for a GREAT show and memorable event, Herta and Zanardi were racing for the lead.

If that pass was made on lap 5, Zanardi probably would have had to give up the gained position.

Sometimes, timing in life is everything, this was one of those times.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 04:40 (Ref:2080274)   #13
Davhut
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
But, the sheer audacity and bravery of it all, to me, outweighs any technicalities.
It's too damn bad Gilles' pass of Jochen Mass sadly didn't outweigh those technicalities.
Old 7 Dec 2007, 01:25 (Ref:2083294)   #14
JohnnySTR
Rookie

JohnnySTR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
watching that again zanardi definately outbraked himself and hes lucky herta didnt turn in or there would have been an accident. its funny how close together stupidity and brilliance are. regardless... makes you miss the good old days of CART
Old 11 Dec 2007, 05:29 (Ref:2086214)   #15
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty much as mentioned, wasn't a 'proper' move, just a desperate dive that happened to come off...probably deserved a penalty of some sort...

But what a scene to watch, as mentioned great for TV....so perhaps was ahead of its time
Old 16 Dec 2007, 22:09 (Ref:2090129)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A move that is somewhat overrated - but hey, who didn't squeal with excitement when it happened? A move that should be cherished for the moment rather than its technical merits.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 15:37 (Ref:2092736)   #17
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely - we're still taliking about it, 11 years on after all.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 06:59 (Ref:2107793)   #18
WazzuZ28
Rookie

United States
Seattle, WA
WazzuZ28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first trip to Laguna Seca was the 1996 CART race...I left the track addicted to ChampCar and a Zanardi fan for life