Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 17 Oct 2001, 14:55 (Ref:161989)   #1
aka Robbie
Rookie

aka Robbie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What do I have to do?

I'm someone who loves motorsport. So much so that sitting on the sidelines just isn't enough for me. I want to be in the car.

At the moment I am in the TSM Clio Scholarship as I see this as a small foothold in a large door. I am down to the final 30 from an original 350+ and everyone else that I have spoken to has raced properly before (am most of them have already failed).

But if I don't make the Clio Scholarship what can I do. I don't want to be back to square 1 and have to re-apply and do it all again next year (though I will if I don't get through). I have been told by many people who have seen me race that I can make it in whatever series I can get into (barring an unreliable car).

So how do I get a team boss to say "Ok then, get in this car, go round this track and prove to me you are as good as, if not better than, my current drivers."?

So what have I done so far? Well this year I have entered into 9 kart races. I won 7 of these (on one track I set the biggest winning margin - it was just under 5 secs, I made it over 25 secs!) and finished 2nd and 3rd in the other two. Also my biggest achievement was setting a lap time over two seconds faster than either Nick Beuamont or Daniel Buxton, in a Clio, at the TSM track.

Not much to go by, except for more enthusiasm than I can fit in my body. I'm not already in the sport due to somewhat limited finances, but if I get in I may be able to bring one or two BIG sponsors with me (a major microchip company (the computer sort not the edible kind!!)and maybe an airline).

So does anyone know how I can get a team owner to say "We will give you a trial"?

BTW - If there are any team owners on this list who may be interested in a 24 year old, with natural skill (please don't think I am being big headed) and bags of enthusiasm then please e-mail me (peter.laborne@MR2roadster.net). Also I will let you know when I am next at the Scholarship if you want to come and see me.

Peter
Old 17 Oct 2001, 16:23 (Ref:162056)   #2
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: What do I have to do?

sorry, double post

Last edited by touringlegend; 17 Oct 2001 at 16:28.
Old 17 Oct 2001, 16:26 (Ref:162059)   #3
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: What do I have to do?

Quote:
Originally posted by aka Robbie
over two seconds faster than either Nick Beuamont
I think John B&Q should be getting in touch with you!

I think if you just went to teams and told them about your achievemnets, some may consider testing you, you've got nothing to lose.

I was thinking of doing that Clio scholarship as well, but I'll need to get my money saved up first!

Good luck for your hopes!!
Old 17 Oct 2001, 17:50 (Ref:162104)   #4
aka Robbie
Rookie

aka Robbie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: What do I have to do?

Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
I think John B&Q should be getting in touch with you!
So do I!!!!
Old 18 Oct 2001, 01:42 (Ref:162331)   #5
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter,

I am in the same situation as you, except here in Australia.

I am 21 and have been working with a State Level team for the past three years (My dad owns the team). He has never let me have any more than a testing role within the team.

I was getting impatient with waiting for him to get out of the seat and let me in, so I bought my own car (for $4000 Australian, or 1500 pounds to you). Anyway this car is a Mazda RX7 Series 1 with a 12A engine and a half alloy cage. I have sprinted it twice now, and won my class first time out, then moved up the the next grade when I modified a couple of things (nothing performance enhancing). There I came 4th in a class where my car was way down on power from the rest of the field.

Anyway, I have been going to a lot of race meetings lately, where I haven't been competing to go and meet teams, drivers and owners. I have made a number of strong contacts which will help when the time comes to move to national level.

I finally made a strong enough proposal to take over the full racing car from my Dad. He is remaining as team manager, I have a new engine builder, and engineer, who came with me. And I am about to start sourcing further sponsorship dollars.

My plan is to have a seat at Bathurst within the next two years.

So in other words what it is taking me is a lot of persistence. A lot of walking up to complete strangers and befriending them. Using all known contacts, and making sure that you enlist the help of a PR company or a sports management group. Either that, or do what I do and actually be studying PR at Uni (saves a heap of money hehehee).

Anyway let me know how it works out for you,

thanks

Cameron.
Old 18 Oct 2001, 09:00 (Ref:162393)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Peter and Cameron, I don't have anything to add I'm afraid but having read the articles I would like to wish you both the very best of luck in your quests.

It's not going to be easy for either of you I suspect, but with the guts and enthusiasm you have shown so far, maybe that magic door will open. All I can say to you is "keep at it and don't quit"

Regards,

Stephen.
Old 18 Oct 2001, 11:25 (Ref:162441)   #7
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've done two Formula Ford scholorships, and did quite well in the second, although not winning it. I was also considering the TSM Clio scholorship. Scholorships are a great experience even if you dont win.

But I wouldnt rely on winning, or somehow getting a lucky break from some team owner, coz afterall there are thousands of people who want to race. I reckon the best way to get started is to save the fundings yourself even if it takes a few years. That way nothing can stop you. Some championships reckon the first year can cost under 10k.

Cheers
Woody