Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Where will Richie Stanaway drive in 2018?
prodrive full time VASC seat 16 55.17%
prodrive enduros VASC seat 1 3.45%
prodrive Super2 seat 1 3.45%
LDM VASC seat 6 20.69%
LDM Super2 seat 0 0%
prodrive SuperUte 1 3.45%
Nowhere at all.... 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 Oct 2019, 20:17 (Ref:3937387)   #176
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
I still maintain he's the fastest driver out of NZ.But obviously he hasn't been a happy camper this season,there must be something more to all this.
You'd have to add last season to that as well although clearly this season has been further down the slippery slope.

Don't know where the problem lies but he's struggled ever since he has been a full-time driver. Maybe he was/is too new into the series to really get the detail right on setup (remembering that margins are very small in supercars & with the greatest respect to GRM, their cars this year have never looked like potential race winners) maybe there's more to it than that but whatever it is, no-one is (yet) saying.

We still don't know much about the neck issues he had from earlier this year and it could be that has lead to confidence issues etc for him and things have spiralled from there. He certainly looked on the edge of losing it when he was being interviewed by Murph on Sunday morning.

Garry is someone I'd describe as tough but fair when it comes to managing drivers but for him to drop a driver during a race meeting it feels like there'd be more to the story - but maybe it's not the first time, maybe there were warnings previously and maybe they got ignored.

I suspect we may not find out and it'll remain a bit of a mystery.
Old 28 Oct 2019, 21:06 (Ref:3937392)   #177
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
More information contained in this Auto Fiction article out today.
Seems like there have been some minor issues going on all year and Sunday morning was the straw that broke the back for Garry.

Also clear that the team wants to continue with the driver but by the sound of it wants to re-affirm some ground rules and expectations.
Old 28 Oct 2019, 21:24 (Ref:3937393)   #178
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it's how they say it is, then I guess it's justified.

Signing sessions are a pretty important part of the show, and he's lucky it wasn't a session run by Supercars themselves, as he'd be bit lighter in the hip pocket.
Old 29 Oct 2019, 03:36 (Ref:3937413)   #179
gravin
Rookie

gravin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
I agree. Utterly shocking. Talk about sticking the knife in. This isn’t Big Brother...
Agree too. Posted on the SVG/Stanaway thread that the poll was less than ideal and counterproductive at sp.....fe, but the mods elected to not allow the post.

Disappointed that they are running the poll TBH.

Stanaway still seems to have trouble fitting into the supercar world. From the GRM comments he seems to be going against the grain of what is usually expected of drivers work ethic whether intentional or not. That friction seems to have come to a head last weekend.
Old 29 Oct 2019, 04:08 (Ref:3937417)   #180
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Signing sessions are a pretty important part of the show, and he's lucky it wasn't a session run by Supercars themselves, as he'd be bit lighter in the hip pocket.
Incredibly, he'd be worse off missing a Supercars autograph session than setting fire to the pitlane.
Old 29 Oct 2019, 04:18 (Ref:3937419)   #181
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravin View Post
Agree too. Posted on the SVG/Stanaway thread that the poll was less than ideal and counterproductive at sp.....fe, but the mods elected to not allow the post.

Disappointed that they are running the poll TBH.

Stanaway still seems to have trouble fitting into the supercar world. From the GRM comments he seems to be going against the grain of what is usually expected of drivers work ethic whether intentional or not. That friction seems to have come to a head last weekend.
I agree in that Adcafe's polls are rediculous and do nothing more than to stir the pot and drive traffic to their website.

Mr van Gisbergen did allude to the fact that in Supercars land, you're not just the driver. You're part of the PR and marketing department, too.

The other thing that Mr Rogers pointed out, was that the team had attempted to bring him into the fold, working within the team as they tend to do with their drivers who've come and gone.
Old 29 Oct 2019, 05:27 (Ref:3937428)   #182
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To do well in Europe, the bloke must be no nuff nuff, and able to steer ok and he proved he can drive a supercar with a Sandown 500 victory.

I reckon Gary Rogers would have pretty simple philosophy, his way or the highway and don’t let the door hit your arse on the way out.

It is shame, I would to see the young bloke do well in his career.
Old 29 Oct 2019, 07:05 (Ref:3937436)   #183
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
To do well in Europe, the bloke must be no nuff nuff, and able to steer ok and he proved he can drive a supercar with a Sandown 500 victory.

I reckon Gary Rogers would have pretty simple philosophy, his way or the highway and don’t let the door hit your arse on the way out.

It is shame, I would to see the young bloke do well in his career.
But is that maybe part of the thing? You mentioned he is a young bloke. He is 27. GRM's thing is to put people through apprentiships and train them. At 27 Richie would be past all that. Square pegs and round holes?

https://autoaction.com.au/2019/10/29...wn-but-not-out
Old 29 Oct 2019, 12:42 (Ref:3937473)   #184
hdt05
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
hdt05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The comments Paul Morris made on their show also suggested an unwillingness to listen when he had him up at norwell. It suggested he very quickly went straight back to his old ways.

He is clearly credentialed but you must wonder how much he is actually listening to his engineers and other influential people within the TEAM.

If he doesn’t get back in the car this year, it would be a good feel-good move to put GT in the car for the final grm race contracts permitting. I wouldn’t mind betting on the car finishing in higher place than any other outing this season?
Old 29 Oct 2019, 17:00 (Ref:3937503)   #185
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdt05 View Post
The comments Paul Morris made on their show also suggested an unwillingness to listen when he had him up at norwell. It suggested he very quickly went straight back to his old ways.

He is clearly credentialed but you must wonder how much he is actually listening to his engineers and other influential people within the TEAM.

If he doesn’t get back in the car this year, it would be a good feel-good move to put GT in the car for the final grm race contracts permitting. I wouldn’t mind betting on the car finishing in higher place than any other outing this season?
Why would he want to?
Old 30 Oct 2019, 05:00 (Ref:3937567)   #186
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Why would he want to?
Listen to some advice?? Because chances are that his head located somewhere it shouldn't really be.

I knew of a driver whom was told to undertake one of these fine tuning courses and the first thing out of his mouth was why do i need to take one of those?? That's just shear arrogance that his skillset was so good he didn't need any more help. And chances are, probably the same goes for Richie.

Regardless, driver, manager, busniess owner, lawn mower, whatever it is that you may do for a living, their's alway something new to learn or improve on. Shoot, you develop a race car to go faster across a season, so why isn't the driver developing to improve his speed at the same time......
Old 30 Oct 2019, 06:34 (Ref:3937568)   #187
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
Listen to some advice?? Because chances are that his head located somewhere it shouldn't really be.

I knew of a driver whom was told to undertake one of these fine tuning courses and the first thing out of his mouth was why do i need to take one of those?? That's just shear arrogance that his skillset was so good he didn't need any more help. And chances are, probably the same goes for Richie.

Regardless, driver, manager, busniess owner, lawn mower, whatever it is that you may do for a living, their's alway something new to learn or improve on. Shoot, you develop a race car to go faster across a season, so why isn't the driver developing to improve his speed at the same time......
Sorry I meant why would GT want to?
Old 30 Oct 2019, 19:55 (Ref:3937712)   #188
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Sorry I meant why would GT want to?
No big deal....

GT on the other hand, probably wouldn't want to have a bar of it...
Old 31 Oct 2019, 02:56 (Ref:3937751)   #189
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Stanaway confirmed back for the last 2 races,
Old 31 Oct 2019, 03:07 (Ref:3937753)   #190
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
but his days are numbered in Supercars IMHO
Old 2 Nov 2019, 22:03 (Ref:3938189)   #191
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
Stanaway confirmed back for the last 2 races,
How many poles and race wins might there be from that?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 6 Nov 2019, 00:12 (Ref:3938790)   #192
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
How many poles and race wins might there be from that?
He'll clean sweep the rest of the season....
Old 6 Nov 2019, 22:47 (Ref:3938962)   #193
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Returning to the scene of his greatest (Supercars) triumph this weekend. This was the event 2 years ago when those astute judges of motor racing talent (the two blonde bimbos on the Fox Sports coverage) recommended to Tim Edwards that Richie should be full time in 2018.
Old 7 Nov 2019, 09:11 (Ref:3939023)   #194
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
Returning to the scene of his greatest (Supercars) triumph this weekend. This was the event 2 years ago when those astute judges of motor racing talent (the two blonde bimbos on the Fox Sports coverage) recommended to Tim Edwards that Richie should be full time in 2018.
Was it just a case of the Tickford Falcon being fast in the rain?
Old 25 Nov 2019, 01:00 (Ref:3942643)   #195
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plug pulled ?

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/11/24...rsport-career/
Old 25 Nov 2019, 01:30 (Ref:3942652)   #196
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My bat and my ball and I am going home?
Old 25 Nov 2019, 19:27 (Ref:3942804)   #197
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
My bat and my ball and I am going home?
yep, very much. His current behaviour justifies everything that has been said about him
Old 25 Nov 2019, 21:46 (Ref:3942825)   #198
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
yep, very much. His current behaviour justifies everything that has been said about him
I will also offer "if your heart isn't in it, don't do it" so fair play.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 22:54 (Ref:3942833)   #199
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
The "Stanaway Experience" has been quite strange - plenty of good results through his career and in Supercars he genuinely starred as a co-driver but has struggled massively as a lead driver.

The more I think about it, the more I think that he is likely dealing with personal demons of one kind or another. If ceasing his race driver career can help overcome those demons, then good on him for making what must have been a very tough decision.
Old 26 Nov 2019, 20:46 (Ref:3943062)   #200
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
The more I think about it, the more I think that he is likely dealing with personal demons of one kind or another. If ceasing his race driver career can help overcome those demons, then good on him for making what must have been a very tough decision.
Good chance that he may be dealing with something like that, and hope that he seeks professional help in dealing with whatever it may be.