Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 15 Jan 2005, 11:55 (Ref:1201503)   #1
Novice
Racer

England
Rochester, Kent
Novice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1 GP at Brands Hatch

I have just read on the MSV website that Brands Hatch will host the very first round of the A1 Grand Prix. The date for the meeting is 16th - 18th September. Unfortunately this will clash with the Goodwood Revival.

Decisions, decisions

http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/ne...asp?NewsID=470
Old 15 Jan 2005, 16:15 (Ref:1201601)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's in Autosport as well. I like the thinking behind this. How can we sort the men from the boys? I know, lets make the first corner of the new championship Paddock Hill Bend...

It certainly gives the series some credibility by deliberately choosing to go to one of the great drivers' circuits. Possibly going to use the GP circuit too. Excellent news.
Old 15 Jan 2005, 16:22 (Ref:1201603)   #3
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is great news. Those (un)lucky enough to miss the revival can come here instead
Old 15 Jan 2005, 20:44 (Ref:1201726)   #4
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now, I've not volunteered for the GP but would definitely be interested in doing this!
Anyone have any info on who is organising the marshals etc?
Old 17 Jan 2005, 00:25 (Ref:1202645)   #5
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there likely to be a shortage of marshals that weekend?

It's not only Goodwood but also British Touring Cars at Silverstone.

That's three events in the Southern half of the country.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 08:08 (Ref:1202765)   #6
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
oooh now that is tempting!
Old 17 Jan 2005, 09:16 (Ref:1202809)   #7
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The event will be run by the BRSCC so I expect it will be the SE region organsing the marshals. I am already committed to the BTCC at Silverstone. It is going to put pressures on marshal numbers with 3 big events on the same weekend in the same part of the country.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 09:32 (Ref:1202821)   #8
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
oh
I love Goodwood, but I just know it'll be basically the same cars & drivers (not that they're a bad thing) and I'd be sleeping in me tent in that lovely field. Could be cold, could be wet - well it has been and that was anything but glorious.
Or...do I stay at home and do my usual 5 minute commute to Brands for the first round of a new series of big single seaters that does'nt really exist yet?
Could be 6 nobodies pootling round the indy circuit or a full field (what, say 24) of talented (but poor) lads hammering round the GP circuit attempting to prove ther worth over the winter of 05/06

Can I make the decision in late August please? Things might be a bit clearer WRT A1GP.
So, guess I'll hold off on filling in that BARC availability form for a bit yet.
Yrs in a quandary - undecided of Kent
Old 17 Jan 2005, 09:37 (Ref:1202823)   #9
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So Alasdair,

Was that a yes or a no?
Old 17 Jan 2005, 10:38 (Ref:1202857)   #10
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
maybe..
Well...
perhaps....
Problem is mainly that the revival is a known quantity and quality race meeting, but as some have remarked before, it can get a bit samey.
A1GP of course is new and shiny. We all like new and shiny things. Especially new, shiny,fast things. BUT A1GP is as yet a total unknown, and what will be supporting it?
Guessing FPA and JP's "new" FF1600 series will be high on his list.
I'm worried that I'll be tempted to have an easy weekend at home, and end up with F1 like untimed/timed practice sessions taking up most of Friday? and Saturday followed by a Champ car like procession on the Indy circuit. And then hear from those that went to Goodwood that it was the dogs danglies.

Does that explain my dilemma a bit better Mark?
Old 17 Jan 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1202863)   #11
Novice
Racer

England
Rochester, Kent
Novice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al you have hit the nail right on the head. Will it be a Bernie style circus or will it be a full no holds barred meeting. I suspect the latter as JP is involved. But one thing is for certain, there will be a shortage of Marshals with 3 high profile meetings on the same weekend.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 11:14 (Ref:1202876)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I thought it was being run on the full GP Circuit?
Old 17 Jan 2005, 11:25 (Ref:1202886)   #13
sceptic
Veteran

It will be if it gets an FIA safety licence. But the event is only eight months away, so I doubt they will be able to get all the work done to get approved in that time.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 11:32 (Ref:1202890)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
If the work needs to be done then I suspect JP will make it happen.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 11:46 (Ref:1202896)   #15
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After all the complaints about Bernie and not holding the British Grand Prix and marshals complaining at the treatment they get, here we have something new at which hopefully marshals can get involved with from the start.
We know that JP is a friend to marshals and it will be up to Stephen hopefully the BMMC to be in on the ground floor to represent us (Congratulations and Best Wishes by the way).
The conditions are improving at Brands Hatch and I understand this is the first race in the series and a British team were the first to enter?
Let us be positive at this stage, I was going to Goodwood ( I am old enough to remember the cars when there were first driven) but if this takes place it is at a circuit where you get close to the cars and it could be interesting and certainly deserves an old mans support.
Please, please, Lets make it a success.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 12:17 (Ref:1202918)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Gridlock, thank you for your kind words and sentiment but I must emphasise that we are working to the good of all marshals and the input with JP is coming from a number of sources, not only the BMMC.

The BMMC is committed to being "the" Marshals Club, but we are not foolish enough to think we can continue without the support of other major clubs and the MSA.

Back to the subject though and I hope the meeting is an unqualified success and it will be fabulous to see Formula 1 style cars back racing at Brands Hatch where there is such an incredible history. I was fortunate to see the first car at the NEC this weekend and assure you that it looks and SOUNDS like the real thing!
Old 17 Jan 2005, 13:19 (Ref:1202960)   #17
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Point taken about other clubs, otherwise I wouldnt be a members of them.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 22:14 (Ref:1203313)   #18
spottymarshal
Rookie

England
Chatham,Kent
spottymarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that Brands Hatch is the opening round lets hope the weather will good for that weekend as it's a new venture.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 14:16 (Ref:1203785)   #19
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I for one will be heading down the A27 come September. Much as I would like to in at beginning of something, I do have a few reservations. Firstly as Al has said, it is still championship on paper only at present. Secondly, how can it be any more exciting than Formula Horlicks - F3000? I can't say I've seen a good open-wheel race for ages now, except for FF1600 of course. I think open-wheel racing has come as far as it can go. They all look the same, from F1 down to FPA and F Renault. They all look they are on rails, until they lose grip or hit each other. Plus, I haven't seen any drivers coming through since the likes of Jenson Button that really catches the eye.
Just take a look at the cars at Goodwood. wether open or closed wheels, where they really look like they are being driven. Sideways and leaving huge tyre marks! and you can actally tell who is driving the thing!
Plus Goodwood is special, and I don't want to let T.J. down.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 14:09 (Ref:1204719)   #20
pixie
Racer

pixie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Infustructure

As mentioned in an earlier thread the track itself will have to under go some changes to meet FIA certification, not just the track, if you were to compare the Med Centre with Silverstone's you'll see that there is a fair bit of work to be done. However given JP's comitment to the track I'm sure he will have these issues resolved for the event. The WSB event at Brands each year enjoys a greater spectator attendance than Silverstone F1. It is certainly going to attract a lot of media attention and I'm sure he will not be found wanting.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 14:24 (Ref:1204729)   #21
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
so how does one go about volunteering for this thing?
Old 19 Jan 2005, 14:29 (Ref:1204736)   #22
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
so how does one go about volunteering for this thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
The event will be run by the BRSCC so I expect it will be the SE region organsing the marshals. I am already committed to the BTCC at Silverstone. It is going to put pressures on marshal numbers with 3 big events on the same weekend in the same part of the country.
According to Claire, the BRSCC, so I would suggest droping a line to Peter Scillitoe.

Old 19 Jan 2005, 14:35 (Ref:1204742)   #23
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Agreed, the same way you volunteer for the FFF Terri
Old 19 Jan 2005, 14:50 (Ref:1204755)   #24
sceptic
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie
As mentioned in an earlier thread the track itself will have to under go some changes to meet FIA certification, not just the track, if you were to compare the Med Centre with Silverstone's you'll see that there is a fair bit of work to be done.
Today's Motorpsort News details the work which needs to be done, and says that planning permission is required before it can go ahead.

Quote:
The WSB event at Brands each year enjoys a greater spectator attendance than Silverstone F1.
But only because the spectator numbers at Silverstone are restricted to 100,000. It would get more if more tickets were on sale.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 22:09 (Ref:1205118)   #25
pixie
Racer

pixie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Numbers

Agreed............... restricting crowd makes the event more managable and enjoyable for everyone.

Not having a copy of the paper can you tell e what changes are listed as being required please