Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Apr 2003, 10:04 (Ref:563735)   #1
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Points for Brasil

From F1.com:
Quote:
Michael Schumacher has added fuel to the embers of the fire which briefly erupted with the conclusion of the Brazilian grand prix. Although all parties involved seem to have accepted the result and Kimi Räikkönen’s victory, the world champion has publicly stated that, in his opinion, Giancarlo Fisichella won the race.

The German’s argument revolves around the implementation of the FIA’s ‘countback’ rule. The race was stopped on the 55th lap of 71 and under the FIA's red flag regulations the result was counted back two laps. The result was therefore based on the positions held at the end of lap 53. Where Schumacher’s query arises is in the fact that the race was allowed to be stopped because it had run over 75% distance.

Schumacher says that if the FIA has implemented this rule then it has done so incorrectly. 75% race distance occurred on lap 54, thus if race results are taken from lap 53 then the race had run less laps than the point at which it is possible to end it and award full points.

"One gets full points if three quarters of the distance is completed," explained Schumacher on German television, "which would be 54 laps. 55 laps were raced but two were deducted and based on this, Räikkönen was declared the winner.

"If the FIA say that more laps were raced then they must declare Fisichella the winner," he continued, "It will be interesting to see how they explain this.”

Though I think TGF is not right about the winner, I think there is another issue here.
Since I'm to lazy to go through the FIA rule book, maybe somebody knows if they actually should have given everybody half of the points, I mean Kimi-5pts, Fisi-4pts etc. 'Coz TGF is right that 75% of the race wasn't fullfilled, and by some earlier rules, in that case, everybody is entitled for half of the points that are usually given. I belive that's how Lela Lombardi had her 0.5 points.
Old 9 Apr 2003, 10:08 (Ref:563739)   #2
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TGF just doesn't want the championship leaders to get too far ahead.
Old 9 Apr 2003, 10:10 (Ref:563740)   #3
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't go in that directon, please
Old 9 Apr 2003, 10:11 (Ref:563741)   #4
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hahahah Shumi studying the rulebook???
Only when it serves his interest I see! This means he'll be less points down on Raikkonen if it's true...However I think if they were to take a look at this they would then take results from lap 54 as the finishers. Would Fisi be the winner then?
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 9 Apr 2003, 10:18 (Ref:563747)   #5
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
No, the rules on that are simple-when the race is red-flagged the standings from 2 laps earlier will be taken, but what I'm interested in is, since they (in that case) didn't do 75%, should there be only half of the points?
Old 9 Apr 2003, 10:21 (Ref:563751)   #6
Kenny W.
Racer

Kenny W. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See BBC site - results under review. Meeting Friday
Old 9 Apr 2003, 10:25 (Ref:563754)   #7
Kenny W.
Racer

Kenny W. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The FIA says that Fisichella may have completed one more lap than was thought - which would make him the winner.

The statement read: "The FIA has received evidence which suggests that, contrary to information supllied by the time-keepers at the Brazilian Grand Prix, Fisichella had started his 56th lap before the race was stopped.

"If this proves to be the case, the race classification would be that at the end of the 54th lap and not at the end of the 53rd lap as published."

The FIA has summoned its Brazilian GP officials to a meeting at its Paris headquarters on Friday morning to review the race.