Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Feb 2007, 21:30 (Ref:1834227)   #26
Rollcentre
Rookie

Rollcentre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have great sympathy for the pro sports guys. They were hounded out of Cup (it appeared to me). The Cup class was invented by Mike Jordan and myself to cater for 'Cup' cars or similar, and the Pro sports was indeed a 'Cup' type of car in that it ran in a one make series. The simple classification allowed for cars to run on a power to weight ratio. In reality, the lower powered light weight cars initially suffered, but the Lotus of Gavan Kershaw showed what a well developed car could do, even with little power.

The Prosports were hounded by their previous era of performances, with little regard for the required power to weight ratio conditions. The cars should have had an advantage in the fact that they were a proper race car, with alleged aero, but in reality they were not walking away with everything, they just looked like they should (a concept to which I am entirely familiar). If they had walked away, then I would have thought that further restrictions would have been imposed.

And all this in a time when yet again British GT was struggling for cars.....that was why we cam up with 'Cup'. More cars on the grid, capitalise on the one make 'gt' cars, and then allow other cars in that fitted the bill.

I didnt watch a huge amount of BGT Cup last year, but generally I saw Marcos or porsche out the front. Its was a shame for you guys. Sorry to see that you are still getting a kicking for it.
Old 5 Feb 2007, 23:16 (Ref:1834305)   #27
Sean Edwards
Racer

United Kingdom
Monaco
Sean Edwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereal_tdb
I think if you race a porsche in any GT series you should be penalised for lack of imagination!
Hehe! I will race anything, but I do love Porsche's Especially with the sucess they have given me!

I guess that is Mr Short there? Fancy giving me a go in your lovely LMP2 Radical, maybe that would get my imagination going thereal_tbd Worst you can say is no hey...

It seems that the GTC prosport was kicked out for no good reason really? If it was slower than GTC Porsche's and co. Shame, as the more different cars you have the better...

I am curious to why this topic was starte up again, after so many months of being dormant indeed.
Old 5 Feb 2007, 23:55 (Ref:1834338)   #28
Simon S
Racer

England
Simon S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollcentre
I have great sympathy for the pro sports guys. They were hounded out of Cup (it appeared to me). The Cup class was invented by Mike Jordan and myself to cater for 'Cup' cars or similar, and the Pro sports was indeed a 'Cup' type of car in that it ran in a one make series. The simple classification allowed for cars to run on a power to weight ratio. In reality, the lower powered light weight cars initially suffered, but the Lotus of Gavan Kershaw showed what a well developed car could do, even with little power.

The Prosports were hounded by their previous era of performances, with little regard for the required power to weight ratio conditions. The cars should have had an advantage in the fact that they were a proper race car, with alleged aero, but in reality they were not walking away with everything, they just looked like they should (a concept to which I am entirely familiar). If they had walked away, then I would have thought that further restrictions would have been imposed.

And all this in a time when yet again British GT was struggling for cars.....that was why we cam up with 'Cup'. More cars on the grid, capitalise on the one make 'gt' cars, and then allow other cars in that fitted the bill.

I didnt watch a huge amount of BGT Cup last year, but generally I saw Marcos or porsche out the front. Its was a shame for you guys. Sorry to see that you are still getting a kicking for it.
Thanks for the thought...

I guess my problem is that I aways try to do things different, and whist I have nothing agains a 911 per-say, the fact that everybody else does that is all the more reason for me not to.

Oh well, another year, another challenge!

See you at the 24H Martin?
Old 6 Feb 2007, 08:51 (Ref:1834532)   #29
Rollcentre
Rookie

Rollcentre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, will be at 24 all being well. Well done on the GT3 Sean, and what a good team mate you had to assist! Get Dad to find the sponsorship, and we could even get you in the Pesca one day!
Old 6 Feb 2007, 09:27 (Ref:1834557)   #30
Sean Edwards
Racer

United Kingdom
Monaco
Sean Edwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollcentre
Yes, will be at 24 all being well. Well done on the GT3 Sean, and what a good team mate you had to assist! Get Dad to find the sponsorship, and we could even get you in the Pesca one day!
Thanks Martin. Yes, he was the perfect match, shame we didn't do the whole season together!

Hope you guys have a great season this year and I am very pleased for him getting the seat! Hope you achieve your dream of a Le Mans podium as well.

Hopefully that will come true one day, I would love to get into a LMP1 car for sure, cya around Martin.
Old 6 Feb 2007, 11:54 (Ref:1834629)   #31
Rob974y
Rookie

Rob974y should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello all

Well i thought for my first post this topic seems interesting and a good debate
i have been a fan of GT racing since Group C was disbanded and GT kind of emerged from what was left, i too remember watching some awesome machines in BGT over the years, with variety and interest, porsche 911 GT1, sintura s99, Saleen S7, TVR Cerbera Speed 12, in those days BGT didnt seem as well comericalised and busy as now. Every year i have waited with antipation of what cars are going to be on the grid to watch. I have to say this is the first year i just do not feel at all inspired to go to any races, the cars racing (GT3's) seem bearly modified compared to a road going version, i know this is the idea to keep costs down but its hardly a spectical. its a shame because i will be watching FIA GT and LMES but obviously this doesn't provide many UK races in a season.

Just as a side i went to watch LMES at Donnington last season and thought it was one of the best races i have been too in years, shame for you Martin with the last pit stop, that could have been a good win. i thought Donnington provided a better race spectical than Silverstone, not sure why
Old 6 Feb 2007, 13:08 (Ref:1834678)   #32
archibold
Racer

United Kingdom
London
archibold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Rob974y

Welcome to the forum!

Not sure to say the GT3 cars are "hardly" modified is fair. Clearly not as evolved as GT2 but hardly direct descendent of any mass production car with just a cage bolted in (a la Group N). A lot of the pace is down to the tyres and the cars are clearly being held at a conservative pace (compare the times for the same cars on Dunlops last season), with the right tyres and some performance breaks there are some potentially quick cars out there.

Needless to say, you are entitled to your opinion, but most people seem quite pleased to see a significant grid of GT3 cars as a step forward from last seasons 2 (mostly) x GT2, followed by the rest scenario...

Archibold
Old 6 Feb 2007, 13:26 (Ref:1834691)   #33
Rob974y
Rookie

Fair point mate, i wasnt trying to put down the GT3 cars that will run this year, they are obivously well prepared cars that teams have spent time developing etc, i was really just trying to express how disappointing it is that there are no cars left that truely blow your socks off when you see them or more importantly hear them. When i go to a race weekend i love the sounds and sights of the cars as much as the actual watching of the race, and although these cars will produce good racing they are too un-aggressive to really catch my attention to the same degree as past seasons. I wonder in a way if SRO standardising all the national series's has somehow spoiled the more one off cars, just a thought
Old 6 Feb 2007, 20:58 (Ref:1834937)   #34
Dragaan
Rookie

Dragaan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob974y
there are no cars left that truely blow your socks off when you see them or more importantly hear them.
Having sat 3 feet behind the Rollcentre Mosler at Silverstone as it started up, let me tell you, that car has one sweet sounding engine. You cna distinguish it from the other cars long before you see it. Also, there are the Vipers in the BGT this year. I can't wait to here those growl past either. I think this year should sound even better than last year (with hte exception of the missing Panoz).
Old 6 Feb 2007, 22:14 (Ref:1834981)   #35
Coniston
Rookie

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Coniston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who else is out this year? I'm looking forward to seeing how the Eurotech Ascari goes!
Old 7 Feb 2007, 12:39 (Ref:1835398)   #36
archibold
Racer

United Kingdom
London
archibold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Coniston/Rob

I'm driving one of the Vipers which should be an interesting experience after Britcar the last couple of years. Feel free to drop by and have a chat.

The Viper like the Mosler also has a distinctive sound...

Archibold
Old 7 Feb 2007, 13:19 (Ref:1835428)   #37
Rob974y
Rookie

Hi Archibold,

Thanks for the offer! Its little touches like that, that make our GT and Global GT series' so much more of a fan sport than F1, the fact that the average fan can get so close to the real action in the pits etc (as enjoyable as the race for me), i remember watching BGT at Snetterton a couple of years back and probably the main highlight of the whole weekend was being able to pitch out tent next to the aremco barrier and wander round the pits as darkness fell, full access.

Dont take me the wrong way with my comments on GT3 earlier, the only point i was trying to make was that i have found it disappotinting over the years that the BGT categories racing have been lessened from mainly GT1 & GT2 cars, to a series now that is purely GT3, and to see GT1 or GT2 you need to watch FIA GT or LMES, which only appear 2 or 3 times a year in the UK. Basically i enjoy GT3 when accompanied by another more powerful/aggressive category. Its like the old Group C wouldnt have been quite the same if all the cars had been C2.

So i can climb off Which Viper will you be driving Archibold? Will i have seen you racing before?
Old 13 Feb 2007, 21:26 (Ref:1840737)   #38
renkadima
Rookie

renkadima should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dunlop
Hi there,

Sorry to go slightly off topic but does anyone know the date and location of the British GT 2007 Launch and Media Day ??

Quite keen to attend assuming they will let the general public in.

Regards

Tim
March 15th I believe. Presumably at Silverstone.
Old 13 Feb 2007, 22:48 (Ref:1840804)   #39
Dragaan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by renkadima
March 15th I believe. Presumably at Silverstone.
Yep, thats right. Kickoff at 9am
Old 13 Feb 2007, 23:49 (Ref:1840829)   #40
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Has anyone put together an entrylist for this year?

I've read elswere a couple of Gallardo's will compete, presumably those built by Reiter, though I'm sure.

Great to see Vipers returning to BGT, hope someone runs a Corvette.

Any news on Jaguar XKR's competing?

Can't wait for Oulton Park, think I'll camp over for a change!

BTW, any idea of the performace difference betwwen GT2 and GT3, I noticed a Racing Box Viper GT3 was quicker than a 430 GT2 at a couple of events in the Euro GT series!
Old 14 Feb 2007, 00:07 (Ref:1840841)   #41
Dragaan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
I'll cya there then. I'm planning on arriving on the Friday. I checked with the staff there and although the weekend ticket is Saturday to Monday, there isn't going to be any charge for turning up early. I asked that specifically.
One word of warning though. Unlike last year there won't be any showers or toilets near the camping area. Thats why they aren't charging for camping this year. Its a real shame but you cant complain. After all, how many times do you get to camp withing 20ft of the track?
And how many of you have wives that can sleep through a GT race at that distance? I'll hold my hand up to that one! LOL
Old 14 Feb 2007, 00:27 (Ref:1840848)   #42
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Never camped myself, it's only 35 minutes drive on a good day, but fancy something different.

Last year I was stuck in traffic for almost 2 hours, 4 miles from the circuit!
Old 14 Feb 2007, 00:39 (Ref:1840850)   #43
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Never camped myself, it's only 35 minutes drive on a good day, but fancy something different.

Get there earlier then!

Seriously, I think we got there about 9:30 maybe(?) not sure, but only had to queue about 10 mins about 100 yards from Circuit entrance.

Maybe you could change what direction you're approaching the circuit from, I presume you were coming from the North which looked pretty congested to me as we approached from the South. So maybe you should perhaps try a small diversion to access the circuit from a different road?
Old 14 Feb 2007, 08:34 (Ref:1841005)   #44
Dragaan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

I only live 30 mins away but I can tell you that camping really ups the experience. There nothing quite like sitting on the banking in your chair, with a cold beer in your hand and the BBQ going whilst watching the racing, or waking up to the sounds of the GT cars ripping past your tent during practice! :P Also, with Sunday being a day off because they're not even allowed to start their engines (try telling that to one of the Heritage Aston drivers last year! :P) then its a great opportunity to have a gentle walk around the paddock. Last year I had the opportunity to have some great chats with the Morgan and Monaro mechanics who were busy fixing their cars and found out some very nice inside information. :P

Of course, theres always the possibility of rain, but camped that close you can shelter inside your tent if its big enough and still enjoy the racing
Old 14 Feb 2007, 13:12 (Ref:1841246)   #45
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Has anyone put together an entrylist for this year?

I've read elswere a couple of Gallardo's will compete, presumably those built by Reiter, though I'm sure.

Great to see Vipers returning to BGT, hope someone runs a Corvette.

Any news on Jaguar XKR's competing?

BTW, any idea of the performace difference betwwen GT2 and GT3, I noticed a Racing Box Viper GT3 was quicker than a 430 GT2 at a couple of events in the Euro GT series!
From a few things I've read I've seen something about entries for a Corvette, Gallardo and the XKR's. Be interesting to see a provisional entry list. How many 430's do we have lined up for this year?
Old 14 Feb 2007, 16:19 (Ref:1841406)   #46
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool
Get there earlier then!

Seriously, I think we got there about 9:30 maybe(?) not sure, but only had to queue about 10 mins about 100 yards from Circuit entrance.

Maybe you could change what direction you're approaching the circuit from, I presume you were coming from the North which looked pretty congested to me as we approached from the South. So maybe you should perhaps try a small diversion to access the circuit from a different road?

We were there well before 10am, we had to turn off and follow the back roads to get into the Knickerbrook entrance.

Cars were still queing past 11am at the main gate.

Last edited by JAG; 14 Feb 2007 at 16:22.
Old 14 Feb 2007, 20:07 (Ref:1841576)   #47
Tim Dunlop
Racer

England
Derby, United Kingdom
Tim Dunlop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi there,

Spent an hour or so at Oulton Park earlier today. Not much British GT related action, plenty of Clio Cup cars and a few other bits and bobs.

The Jones brothers were testing at the track and it was great to hear the Ascari they are running in British GT at full tilt round the circuit. Manage to get a few decent pics, could not help but notice that this car has had a small livery change since I last saw it testing at Donington in November 2006.

Enjoy the pics.

Regards

Tim
Old 16 Feb 2007, 15:37 (Ref:1843218)   #48
devon kev
Racer

Guernsey
MELBOURNE DERBY
devon kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just read that British GT is rejoining the F3s at Thruxton this season
Old 16 Feb 2007, 17:44 (Ref:1843309)   #49
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Not sure if this has been covered earlier, but seeing as there is no GT2 this year will the GT3's have larger restrictors to try and fill the void?
Old 16 Feb 2007, 19:06 (Ref:1843359)   #50
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
Ranald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool
Not sure if this has been covered earlier, but seeing as there is no GT2 this year will the GT3's have larger restrictors to try and fill the void?
No, they will be plain old GT3 cars (not the best description I know!). Why would they do that anyway?