Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Nov 2012, 01:03 (Ref:3171977)   #1
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jake Humphrey's replacement.

If there is a thread on this already, I apologise and mods please delete this post.

Ted Kravitz has been mentioned as well as Lee McKenzie !!

Won't be the same though ...

I really loved the connection that EJ and DC had with him.

Very Top Gearish ...

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 27 Nov 2012 at 01:09.
Old 27 Nov 2012, 01:10 (Ref:3171978)   #2
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully the Beeb don't go for another numpty who doesn't know anything about the sport.

Its a pain when they don't have the know what question they should be asking.

They also need someone who's really genuinely interested the sport and its their #1 sport.

Problem is BBC Sport have little or no motorsport people.
Old 27 Nov 2012, 01:14 (Ref:3171979)   #3
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep but the presenter does not need to know everything about the sport.

He just needs to be good at co-ordinating the experts around him.

And that is where Jake excelled IMHO.

His enthusiasm was also boundless.

The chemistry with EJ and DC was excellent IMHO.

Anyway must get to bed.

Nitey nite ...
Old 27 Nov 2012, 07:19 (Ref:3172042)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But, I thought it would be Bernie E?
Old 27 Nov 2012, 07:33 (Ref:3172043)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
You might as well have an empty chair, about as much charisma !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 Nov 2012, 07:35 (Ref:3172045)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes, I saw that clip as well! And No..........

Jake a hard act to follow. IMO he has made last few years of BBC coverage more enjoyable and I wish him all the best covering footy!

I have no issue with an 'anchor person' not being an expert on the sport. That's what Gary A, DC and EJ are there for.

Old 27 Nov 2012, 07:37 (Ref:3172047)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Jake a hard act to follow. IMO he has made last few years of BBC coverage more enjoyable and I wish him all the best covering footy!

I have no issue with an 'anchor person' not being an expert on the sport. That's what Gary A, DC and EJ are there for.

This.
Old 27 Nov 2012, 07:53 (Ref:3172050)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to admit I was getting a little fed up with his arrogance towards the end.

If you ever watched some of the red button stuff he was rather opportunistic in Brazil with Owen Wilson and get rather burned when WIlson said "I was just talking to my friends" and he just taps him on the shoulder and butts in!

Not my idea of professional that.

some might say you need to not know anything about F1 to present. I disagree, someone who has a certain knowledge is better, they can convey that level of knowledge, I know the Beb are utterly obsessed with people who have never watched F1 before, but do they pamper and faun with footballa nd rugby union? No they dont, so no need to do it here either.

I though Jake was fine initially, but I thnk he knew when to get out, he was getting very samey and predictable, and also just a little too over friendly with certain people, Senna, Domenicali, Lewis. You rarely heard from some guys!

I would prefer someone knowledgeable, havign Anderson has definately improved things, far better than Gascoyne, and he hasnt dumbed it down too much either, amde it all more interesting.
Old 27 Nov 2012, 08:27 (Ref:3172060)   #9
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge View Post
If there is a thread on this already, I apologise and mods please delete this post.

Ted Kravitz has been mentioned as well as Lee McKenzie !!
Ted? Really? I didn't think he would move back to BBC. Besides, he's not and never will be a natural polished presenter the way that Lee might be.

I was thinking that Will Buxton might be a good choice for anchor. And he might be available after Speed losing the rights. I think he'd suit Sky more than BBC though.
Old 27 Nov 2012, 09:08 (Ref:3172091)   #10
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Who will replace Jake Humphrey?

A monkey?
Old 27 Nov 2012, 09:13 (Ref:3172092)   #11
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Jake has done a good job, but maybe it is time to go. He is becoming a little samey, though it has not reached the point of annoying me yet.

The anchor doesn't need in-depth knowledge of the sport. Not having the knowledge makes his questions of the experts more plausible. (Think of the number of times a driver answers a DC question with "As you know......")

Please, not Lee Mackenzie. She doesn't ask any questions. It's just "Tell us what happened out there" every time.
Old 27 Nov 2012, 09:41 (Ref:3172100)   #12
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't want want to turn this into another BBC vs Sky thread but Jake could be replaced by Georgie Thompson or whatever her name is TAKE HER PLEASE
Old 27 Nov 2012, 10:03 (Ref:3172110)   #13
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I have to admit I was getting a little fed up with his arrogance towards the end.
He's been smarmy from day one and reminds of the school bully who needs to big himself up by attempting to make others look stupid. It's probably why he spent so much time on kids TV I'm thrilled to bits that he's banished himself to the anals of BT and that we'll be rid of him off normal TV for a while at least.

If they're to pick an incumbent, then I think Steve Ryder's head and shoulders above everyone else. Lee McKenzie's not too bad. She able to get interact really well with the drivers while making the audience feel at ease. Otherwise it would be nice if they opted for somebody completely fresh, but it would definitely help if they knew something about motor sport.
Old 27 Nov 2012, 10:15 (Ref:3172119)   #14
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In all honesty I quite like Lee, she has to ask that question, because that is all she really can ask to a driver who has retired! What is she supposed to do, ask him about Xfactor or the weather!

Steve Ryder is a safe pair of hands, but I would like someone new, someone who can maybe get into a bit more detail, as by now surey they shouldnt be having to cater for peopel who have never watched F1 before!!
Old 27 Nov 2012, 10:30 (Ref:3172130)   #15
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Will Buxton is off to NBC with Varsha and Matchett (according to the closing part of the Speed broadcast at the weekend), so that rules that out.

As for whether Jake & co were great or rubbish, I know that for most of the races this year I've watched Sky instead of Auntie; in either case I have avoided the preamble as much as possible (and a lot of the post-race programmes) because both sets of presenters have started to grate. I like Brundle's commentary, so have stuck with Sky for the race coverage itself.

However... I think there is one genuine worry for BBC F1: that they drop it, altogether.
Old 27 Nov 2012, 10:32 (Ref:3172132)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If they wanted to cater for new to the sort fans before why not continue that? The potential viewers are a changing subset.

I'd prefer if they didn't from a selfish point of view, but it doesn't seem sensible especially for the BBC.
Old 27 Nov 2012, 10:51 (Ref:3172146)   #17
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
However... I think there is one genuine worry for BBC F1: that they drop it, altogether.
I didn't pay too much attention to the smallprint in that deal they did with Bernie and Sky, but are they committed to carrying F1 in 2013... and if so, is it on the same terms as this year ?
Old 27 Nov 2012, 11:00 (Ref:3172153)   #18
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
In all honesty I quite like Lee, she has to ask that question, because that is all she really can ask to a driver who has retired! What is she supposed to do, ask him about Xfactor or the weather!
exactly. and the driver usually will answer with exactly the same spiel anyway. they've got 10 other interviews to do that'll be, well. exactly the same. the guys who want to wander off and talk about their own agenda will do so anyway.

i think she'd do a perfectly good job with dc - i think ej's time might be up though. i think he only worked because jake knew how to work *him*.

gary anderson is a legend. i will not hear otherwise. the mark of a good show for me is that i learn stuff, and gary always teaches me stuff i didn't know (or that i didn't know i knew). highlight of the coverage without a doubt.
Old 27 Nov 2012, 11:12 (Ref:3172158)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep, Gary is great.

Jake will be missed IMO. He slotted in perfectly from day one against all my expectations. People are accusing him of smarminess, blimey... you should see that rugger chap they've got doing the same job on Sky. You just have to look at him and you can feel his contempt for the working class.
Old 27 Nov 2012, 11:17 (Ref:3172159)   #20
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I was under the impression that Lee was taking over?
Old 27 Nov 2012, 14:09 (Ref:3172235)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think she'd do a perfectly good job with dc - i think ej's time might be up though. i think he only worked because jake knew how to work *him*.
I agree Lee is very good, she filled for Jake on a few occasions this year and although appeared a little nervous, held the programme together. Also she is young and it needs a young person to give a wider view of things. EJ adds that balance of experience and (I hesitate to say it) age, where he can approach the great and the good and get away with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
gary anderson is a legend. i will not hear otherwise. the mark of a good show for me is that i learn stuff, and gary always teaches me stuff i didn't know (or that i didn't know i knew). highlight of the coverage without a doubt.
Couldn't agree more. With DC giving the driver's view and Gary the manager's view we get a broad spectrum of information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Jake will be missed IMO. He slotted in perfectly from day one against all my expectations.
I'd never heard of him until I saw him on the F1 coverage, but he is young, has a view and always asks good questions of the co presenters. As a team all three were bound to either bond or fall apart. They bonded together to make an almost perfect show. A bit like having a bunch of mates in the living room. All with differing views but also all with one common enthusiasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
I was under the impression that Lee was taking over?
It would be good if she did.
Old 27 Nov 2012, 15:22 (Ref:3172249)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can't say I'm that fussed. I generally only watch the practice or racing anyway. Personally, I quite like Jake.
Old 27 Nov 2012, 15:56 (Ref:3172252)   #23
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Not James Allen... please!
Old 27 Nov 2012, 16:13 (Ref:3172258)   #24
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The BBC could do worse than give Jack Nicholls a screen test imho. He's young, enthusiastic, knowledgeable and has earned his spurs on F2 and GT1 coverage with John Watson.

I suppose the likelihood will be a BBC insider though, in which case I would give Lee the chance, I was impressed during the World Cup when she stepped in for Jake.

So long as they don't tempt Crofty back......
Old 27 Nov 2012, 16:39 (Ref:3172263)   #25
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
I suppose the likelihood will be a BBC insider though, in which case I would give Lee the chance, I was impressed during the World Cup when she stepped in for Jake.
The real fear would be if they parachuted in the like of Colin Murray or Mark Chapman...

Showdown between Lee and Jennie Gow?