Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 13 Dec 2018, 14:15 (Ref:3869925)   #3101
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Lol,

Life is full of missed opportunities.
Another added bonus Peter, when you get the job you'll be able to keep your monogrammed handkerchiefs as they have the right initials on!
Old 13 Dec 2018, 14:16 (Ref:3869927)   #3102
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Heritage shells are now made in pre 1966 format. When they started they were wide tunnel only. There's also the issue that having bought your shell you had about 200hrs of fettling to get the panels to fit properly. I believe these problems are now solved.

My road MGB is a wide tunnel but it's registered as a 1965, originally built 17 Dec 1965. Sometime in its life it was crashed and a new wide tunnel shell was used to rebuild it. All acknowledged on the heritage certificate. So, rather than treat it as an original I've modified it in terms of engine, seats etc.

Sensitive? Moi.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 14:42 (Ref:3869932)   #3103
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I think the Mini shells started off as Mk3 only, but now Heritage make Mk1 & 2 also? I’ve heard it said before about panel fit, but the panels were being made from original press tools, I think, then ‘hand built’. And as can be seen from a lot of ‘hand built’ cars, robots do a far better job! Who mentioned Morgan...

I remember that purists scorned the later Mini Mk1 or 2 front valance (that has the ends cut away), but in period if you were repairing a Mk1 you could only buy the later version after that model came out! Same with Mk1 E*s**rt (daren’t mention again...) rear bumpers. Later cars had a cut out to allow more light for the number plate illumination, so immediately the early version was discontinued as a spare. Then of course when cars were being restored for concours, having the correct bumper mattered and they became quite valuable!
Old 13 Dec 2018, 14:57 (Ref:3869933)   #3104
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well here's a point. Which would you prefer in your garage, a 1275GT or a Mini Cooper S?
Old 13 Dec 2018, 16:36 (Ref:3869963)   #3105
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well here's a point. Which would you prefer in your garage, a 1275GT or a Mini Cooper S?
In terms of performance, looks, eligibility for nice historic events or value??
Old 13 Dec 2018, 16:39 (Ref:3869967)   #3106
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Given that I've just seen a posting on Facebook for a 1275S that had a full restoration a few years (but less than 450 miles) ago, which is for sale for around £44K, I think I'd say Cooper S.

But in reality a good 998 Imp would be what I'd want to drive (and have well over £30K left to spend on other toys )
Old 13 Dec 2018, 17:13 (Ref:3869976)   #3107
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
The 1275 GT was, if memory hasn’t failed, slightly detuned from S spec? But I like them, and would happily take one, as much more affordable! I like the styling and little Roystyle wheels but it would have to be non-hydrolastic and definitely no Dunlop Denovos.

In my yoof I rallied a Cooper S engined Clubman that I built up from a repaired shell bought from the local breakers. It had a single 45 on swan neck manifold, which required fabricating a box to go round it so it didn’t poke into the interior. The induction noise was deafening, even then....
Old 13 Dec 2018, 17:19 (Ref:3869979)   #3108
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Didn't the GT have the later 1.75" big ends? A la Marina engine. Handy if you wanted to build a stroker but perceived wisdom was that it didn't rev so well.

Which would make the Cooper S more desirable.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 13 Dec 2018, 17:25 (Ref:3869980)   #3109
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
It had a single 45 on swan neck manifold, which required fabricating a box to go round it so it didn’t poke into the interior.
This you can do with a 1275, I guess with a Cooper your carb would have swallowed the taco!
Bob, when I say "taco" this one is no reference to donuts, ya no!
Nobody for Innocenti Cooper, then?
Old 13 Dec 2018, 17:32 (Ref:3869982)   #3110
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
In terms of performance, looks, eligibility for nice historic events or value??
I'm terms of what you'd like to have on your drive.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 18:04 (Ref:3869994)   #3111
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm terms of what you'd like to have on your drive.
Happy with either but probably a Cooper S
Old 13 Dec 2018, 18:28 (Ref:3870001)   #3112
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I think id go for that but recently I've liked the look of the GT much better.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 18:41 (Ref:3870010)   #3113
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I think id go for that but recently I've liked the look of the GT much better.
It was nicely done, in my opinion. Bit more shouty than a Cooper S but certainly not vulgar.

The Innocenti Minis are quite desirable nowadays as well, but my fav would be a Metro Turbo. I don’t think many gearboxes survived the increase in power and torque.... I think Lotus were involved with the engine development?
Old 13 Dec 2018, 18:57 (Ref:3870014)   #3114
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I raced a Metro. Surprisingly easy to modify and set up.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 19:04 (Ref:3870018)   #3115
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I raced a Metro. Surprisingly easy to modify and set up.
Hooligan! They still race with the MGCC, Don’t they? Or did a year or two back....
Old 13 Dec 2018, 19:10 (Ref:3870020)   #3116
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Hooligan! They still race with the MGCC, Don’t they? Or did a year or two back....
Yep they do as far as I know.Great little cars to watch.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 19:27 (Ref:3870026)   #3117
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Yep they do as far as I know.Great little cars to watch.
Yes, I did SC duty at Snetterton at an MGCC meeting and remember how close the racing was!
Old 13 Dec 2018, 20:22 (Ref:3870047)   #3118
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yup they still race. An inexpensive way to get 9n track. The MGCC series was the brainchild of Steve Hall of Hall's Garage in Bourne Lincolnshire. Nice chap too.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 20:41 (Ref:3870050)   #3119
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just had a chat with Colin McKay .What a nice chap to talk to about historic racing and cars.Enjoyed that.👍.I do find talking in a conversation a little hard but that was great.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 21:32 (Ref:3870065)   #3120
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the MG series also welcomes K Series cars besides the venerable A.

Old 13 Dec 2018, 23:58 (Ref:3870091)   #3121
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I think the MG series also welcomes K Series cars besides the venerable A.

Yes it does. Although I'd still be happy three wheeling an A series version.
Old 14 Dec 2018, 07:34 (Ref:3870125)   #3122
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
May be John and E.B already had a look to the 2019 Rétromobile poster. Difficult to find a leading idea and budget on usual but I find this one well inspired. Peut être un peu trop franco-française avec la dentelle et petite culotte de Calais with the reference to Citroën using Eiffel Tower to advertise. Was it said "Advert Hall"?
Traction and attraction is the name?

Last edited by Gerard C; 14 Dec 2018 at 07:48.
Old 14 Dec 2018, 08:54 (Ref:3870132)   #3123
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
May be John and E.B already had a look to the 2019 Rétromobile poster. Difficult to find a leading idea and budget on usual but I find this one well inspired. Peut être un peu trop franco-française avec la dentelle et petite culotte de Calais with the reference to Citroën using Eiffel Tower to advertise. Was it said "Advert Hall"?
Traction and attraction is the name?
Haha... yes I have seen the one of the old Citroën in the Eiffel Tower celebrating/honouring their 100th anniversary.

I also learnt that the company's logo adorned three of the tower’s sides from 1925 to 1934.

Old 14 Dec 2018, 08:59 (Ref:3870133)   #3124
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Outside of the EU the UK can make trade deals with other countries, including the EU (which as I said earlier is not a country but a money making organisation).
Noticed this last night and wondered what you meant, are you saying the EU makes money for itself or for public investment throughout the EU?

BTW a friend saw a bus in Brussels yesterday that had ******** to Brexit plastered over it, did wonder if Boris was visiting!
Old 14 Dec 2018, 09:04 (Ref:3870134)   #3125
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Haha... yes I have seen the one of the old Citroën in the Eiffel Tower celebrating/honouring their 100th anniversary.

I also learnt that the company's logo adorned three of the tower’s sides from 1925 to 1934.
From 1925-34 it had Citroen written in huge lights down the sides of it, from top to bottom, must have been impossible to avoid.

Didn't help them much though, they went bankrupt in 1934 (which is why the adverts stopped)!