Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 16 May 2009, 17:10 (Ref:2463506)   #1
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Brake Disc Cracks

I've noticed some small cracks on my front brake discs. These are all around the centre area of the discs both sides and don't seem to stretch to the edges. Do these need changing or are they OK to use? I've seen people run with far worse but don't fancy having a disc give up especially as I will be at Combe next weekend and speed and braking forces will be high there.
Attached Thumbnails
disc1.JPG   disc2.JPG  
Old 16 May 2009, 17:23 (Ref:2463518)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
I sense that you know the answer you will get; change them! Brakes is not the best item to take a gamble on...
Old 16 May 2009, 17:41 (Ref:2463535)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
OK, maybe I should rephrase it. I've got little or no chance of getting new discs this week as the manufacturer is incredibly slow at doing anything so if they aren't on the shelf then a delivery date of maybe sometime never will be in order.
The last time I bought any he had them there but it took him ages to cut grooves on them so if it's the same this time I may have to plump for plain ones.
Old 17 May 2009, 08:14 (Ref:2463808)   #4
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
How deep are the cracks? I presume not right through (that would be very bad)? Can the disks be skimmed in the timescale?

Just did a quick google - its looks like Heat Checking

Heat Checking

Heat checking is the appearance of numerous short, thin radial interruptions of the braking surface. Heat checking is a normal phenomena of the disc brake function.
This occurs as a result of the heating and cooling of the braking surface during normal operation of the brakes. Heat checks are not detrimental to the function or the performance of the braking system and no corrective action is required. These will frequently wear away and reform as a result of the normal braking process, however these can progress over time into cracks depending on such factors as, lining/disc wear, brake system balance and how hard the brakes are used.

http://www.juratek.com/support-discs.php

This would probably indicate your disks are overheating.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 17 May 2009, 08:45 (Ref:2463813)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
James thanks for the post, that looks exactly what it is and probably caused by my driving style as I brake quite hard and late. I was having problems with pad glazing until I changed to Performance Friction which has solved the problem, they also don't seem to wear as quickly either. I expect it's all a trade off but I can live with it as long as the car stops OK.
Old 17 May 2009, 09:33 (Ref:2463831)   #6
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could you duct air to the discs?

Jeff

Old 17 May 2009, 14:35 (Ref:2463994)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Tim if they are the ones shown in the picture they can be resurfaced but as they are on bells they are very difficult to "skim" and should be plough ground otherwise you will probably suffer from brake judder.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 May 2009, 21:15 (Ref:2464157)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I would use them but its up to you and BTW why bother with the grooves, with modern brake materials they are not really necessary IMHO and others more knowledgable, The only time I did have a disc crack completly was one that was grooved so I stopped doing it and noticed no performance difference whatsoever and I am pulling up 1400kgs from up to 140mph. Same with drilling, it will promote cracks and is just for show.
Old 18 May 2009, 03:08 (Ref:2464274)   #9
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Tim if they are the ones shown in the picture they can be resurfaced but as they are on bells they are very difficult to "skim" and should be plough ground otherwise you will probably suffer from brake judder.
Hi Gordon,

what's plough grounding? Tried googling but nothing came up.

James
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 18 May 2009, 05:51 (Ref:2464287)   #10
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Its plough grinding not plough grounding try typing that in to google and you will have more luck.
Old 18 May 2009, 09:47 (Ref:2464407)   #11
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
I've noticed some small cracks on my front brake discs. These are all around the centre area of the discs both sides and don't seem to stretch to the edges. Do these need changing or are they OK to use? I've seen people run with far worse but don't fancy having a disc give up especially as I will be at Combe next weekend and speed and braking forces will be high there.
We recently replaced the front discs of my car for a very similar reason, although our cracks were much worse. However, Bob Green of BG Developments said that when they were racing GT40s at LeMans they always got these crack - at first they replaced them, but after a while they just ignored them, and never had a disc failure.

So you'll be fine for now, but get a new set on order for peace of mind.
Old 18 May 2009, 13:50 (Ref:2464553)   #12
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
jerryk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
having studied the photos in detail I think you will be fine as along as you dont take them to a track that has a corner like quarry at castle coombe . the bumps on the straight prior could set up a high frequency oscilation leading to a catastrophic sentripidal destruction curve . nasty
Old 18 May 2009, 13:52 (Ref:2464557)   #13
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryk View Post
having studied the photos in detail I think you will be fine as along as you dont take them to a track that has a corner like quarry at castle coombe . the bumps on the straight prior could set up a high frequency oscilation leading to a catastrophic sentripidal destruction curve . nasty
Just make sure you have the picnic table and some buns ready for me at Tower then
Old 18 May 2009, 16:58 (Ref:2464668)   #14
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Tim I personally would use them as they are. If you decide to have them ground in the future I can give you a contact number . They don't charge silly money either, I had 4 done and was well surprised.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 18 May 2009, 17:45 (Ref:2464694)   #15
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
I'll use them for the time being Gordon, I'm sure if I speak nicely to someone on here he will let me use his surface grinder to do them.
Old 20 May 2009, 03:10 (Ref:2465485)   #16
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
I would use them but its up to you and BTW why bother with the grooves, with modern brake materials they are not really necessary IMHO and others more knowledgable, The only time I did have a disc crack completly was one that was grooved so I stopped doing it and noticed no performance difference whatsoever and I am pulling up 1400kgs from up to 140mph. Same with drilling, it will promote cracks and is just for show.
I agree with not drilling, especially these guys who drill sraight through the vane (though some top end stuff has cast holes)
But my experiance with slots has never been negative, but again that is with quality motorsports disks.
The way I see it if guys like the WRC (who must use ferrious brakes) have nuttted it out with AP/Alcon/Brembro/whoever and they do it there must be a good reason. (Gas expansion preventing a barrier being the most often touted)
My car runs to about 140mph as well, though it only weighs 1100kg, but it only has 287mm disks for 15" wheels.

Oh, and I wouldn't bother about those cracks either, but at the end of the day you are the one who needs to 100% happy
Old 20 May 2009, 07:21 (Ref:2465513)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I believe the modern generation of pads do not have the gassing problem that the old stuff did hence no need for slots or holes anymore its what I read and what I have found. I think a whole lot of it is so much hype to get you buying. I just use standard across the counter 12" LE1 option discs on my cars and they pull up OK and in fact on my older car I have huge 6 pot Wilwood Grand national calipers and I have to be careful not to lock them up. The most important thing I ever done was fill the system with Castrol SRP fluid and I have never had a brake boil or fade problem since.
Old 20 May 2009, 08:09 (Ref:2465527)   #18
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I use Performance Friction pads and I do as I'm told.....

http://www.performancefriction.com/pages/rotors.htm

....so I run grooved discs for better bite. Never had a crack as a result on AP supplied discs: http://www.apracing.com/info/info.as...+Face+Types_39
Old 20 May 2009, 09:02 (Ref:2465556)   #19
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I believe the modern generation of pads do not have the gassing problem that the old stuff did hence no need for slots or holes anymore its what I read and what I have found.
There will always be a possibility of gassing with organic pads, as they still use phenolic resins. Over the years resins have been modified to reduce gassing to a very low level, but the phenomenon known as 'green fade' can still exist - basically, it's caused by the resins completing their curing process the first few times they are brought up to normal operating temperatures. For road pads & some race pads green fade is eliminated by scorching the working face of the pad during production; for non-scorched race pads it's important to follow the bedding-in advice given by the manufacturer.

. . . no gassing with sintered pads!
Old 20 May 2009, 10:30 (Ref:2465611)   #20
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I never have any trouble with the carbon discs on the Anglebox
Old 20 May 2009, 22:18 (Ref:2466050)   #21
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yes i was impressed with the claims for the sintered pads on a stand at Race Retro, French I believe they were and they reconned you can get a set to easy last a season of club racing.
Old 20 May 2009, 22:51 (Ref:2466061)   #22
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Yes i was impressed with the claims for the sintered pads on a stand at Race Retro, French I believe they were and they reconned you can get a set to easy last a season of club racing.
Just depends how much you use them, a set of carbon metallic pads would last ages on my car. But being quite a light car I don't have to use a lot of heavy braking. I also turn them upside down every couple of races to even out the pad taper so the don't jam up in the caliper.
Old 21 May 2009, 12:56 (Ref:2466412)   #23
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I think this guy I was speaking to (Chris Schirle??) is a long distance racer and he reconed they would last a very long race! I think the pads were Carbon Morane or something.
Old 21 May 2009, 15:30 (Ref:2466503)   #24
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I think the pads were Carbon Morane or something.
Carbone Lorraine.
Old 21 May 2009, 18:21 (Ref:2466608)   #25
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I was close :-)