Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 7 May 2003, 08:07 (Ref:592024)   #1
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula 2 to return

from grandprix.com :

Quote:
Formula 3000 to become F2 again
It has been talked about on and off for many years but it seems that finally logic will prevail and Formula 3000 will be turned back into Formula 2 when the FIA World Council meets in June. This will make it much more obvious to the world that the series is the formula nearest to Formula 1 and above Formula 3. The change was discussed along with a variety of other possible changes, including holding the F3000 race on Sunday mornings at each Grand Prix to fill the gap that has been left by the cancellation of the warm-up and to give the series more coverage.

In recent months Formula 3000 has been under increasing pressure with competition from the Nissan World Series, the new Renault V6 Eurocup and the European Formula 3000 championship. These all offer cheaper alternative to the International F3000 series, which has meant that grids have fallen. The aim now is to bring down costs in Formula 3000 because although the cost of a chassis is pegged the cost of spares has sky-rocketed. It is anticipated that the next contract offered by the FIA will included stipulations about the cost of spares.

Current chassis supplier Lola is likely to face stiff competition for the next F3000 chassis supply deal which will begin in 2005. Zytek Engineering, the Repton-based company which is supplying the engines for the championship, has set up a Vehicle Technology Division, which is being run by former Jordan F1 managing-director Trevor Foster. This will be building a chassis to bid for the F3000 deal.
Old 7 May 2003, 12:00 (Ref:592275)   #2
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It could boost interest!
Old 7 May 2003, 12:03 (Ref:592279)   #3
unofficialf3000
Racer

unofficialf3000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know some people say this is not the answer to boost F3000, but I agree with Dan. At least people having it clear in their minds that F3000 is a step below F1 (not a bad thing IMO) is better than them not having a clue where it fits in.
Old 7 May 2003, 13:14 (Ref:592355)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if the new name might help teams get sponsors... F2 doesn't need any explaining.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 7 May 2003, 14:10 (Ref:592410)   #5
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah I think it makes good sense to change it.
Old 7 May 2003, 14:43 (Ref:592441)   #6
Thommy
Racer

Germany
Kulmbach, Bavaria
Thommy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, which way has to be chosen by Formula2? The "manufactors-cup" as it is now? Or a free-market series, with different chassis- builder (Lola, G-Force, Mygale, Dallara etc.) and eninges (Alfa, BMW, Ford, Honda, Peugeot etc.), like the old F2 had been...
What do you think?
Old 7 May 2003, 16:53 (Ref:592572)   #7
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember reading in Perry McCarthy's autobiography that F3000 used to confuse potential sponsors... some even suggested that it was called F3000 because it meant $3000 a lap... (probably not far off!)
Old 7 May 2003, 16:57 (Ref:592576)   #8
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I like the idea of F3000 being re-named Formula 2, it will help the average F1 fan, who perhaps is not aware of F3000 or F3 etc to understand where Formula 2 fits into the scheme of things. Formula 3000 is a little bit more confusing than Formula 2 if u ask me, for the average fan I mean, ie the bloke/woman who watches the F1, and ocassionaly a BTCC race. Good news for the series.
Old 7 May 2003, 17:13 (Ref:592582)   #9
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At last. We have been saying this for years.
How many times have we had to explain to non racing people why there is not a Formula 2? ....and then have to explain that it is really called F3000. The next question is always ' but why?'
Old 7 May 2003, 18:33 (Ref:592671)   #10
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mmm, Formula 2 a free formula? different chassis and engines, works cars and privateers, tyres...no, far too sensible, it would never happen!
Old 7 May 2003, 19:08 (Ref:592708)   #11
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F2 became F3000 in 1985 - but why? :confused:
Old 7 May 2003, 21:39 (Ref:592922)   #12
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At last common sense has prevailed - should never have dropped the F2 name tag in the first place.The next major decision awaiting the FIA is to divert a proportion of the money generated from global F1 TV rights to F2 and F3.Is it right that one man,Bernie Ecclestone,has become a multi billionaire from our sport whilst dozens of talented drivers down the years fail to progress through lack of funds? Some of the TV revenue should filter through to the teams at F2 & F3 level so they can select their drivers on ability alone.Why should a rich old man get richer whilst Robbie Kerr,Paffett,Hynes (the list is endless)see their careers stalling?The FIA could have a powerful influence in this area if they really had the best interests of the sport at heart.
Old 7 May 2003, 22:39 (Ref:592977)   #13
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now we are at it, why not take a hint from the FIM MotoGP series - have a weekend of F1, F2 and F3 at all 16 races. This way it should be possible to follow new talents through their career, as Valentino Rossi (and others) has done on bikes.

On another note I have wondered just why Bernie Ecclestone has visited various MotoGP races over the last few years!

Jesper O. Hansen
Old 8 May 2003, 00:02 (Ref:593019)   #14
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's about time. Formula 3000 might sound better, but it holds no meaning. There is Formula 1, And the next step back should be Formula 2. I don't know whether or not this will increase the car count, but you never know.
Old 8 May 2003, 07:38 (Ref:593157)   #15
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by x_dt
F2 became F3000 in 1985 - but why? :confused:
Reason given at the time was that F2 sounded second rate.Actually F2 was not renamed but scrapped.The new F3000 was meant to be the 3000cc unsupercharged F1 cars,that were replaced by turbos.Other suggested titles were F1 'serie B' and Grand Prix Lights.
Old 8 May 2003, 07:48 (Ref:593168)   #16
Morcilman
Racer

Spain
Spain
Morcilman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
too litle too late?
Old 8 May 2003, 08:01 (Ref:593180)   #17
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jesper OH
Now we are at it, why not take a hint from the FIM MotoGP series - have a weekend of F1, F2 and F3 at all 16 races.
Which of the F3 series should be chosen for that?
The European one?
Or a brand new one?
Old 8 May 2003, 11:11 (Ref:593348)   #18
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Don K
Which of the F3 series should be chosen for that?
The European one?
Or a brand new one?
Hi Don K

A new one. This should then be an International title, with the status of the current F3000.

Jesper O. Hansen
Old 8 May 2003, 12:20 (Ref:593409)   #19
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe it took them 18 years to work this one out.
Old 8 May 2003, 14:22 (Ref:593577)   #20
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jesper OH
Now we are at it, why not take a hint from the FIM MotoGP series - have a weekend of F1, F2 and F3 at all 16 races. This way it should be possible to follow new talents through their career, as Valentino Rossi (and others) has done on bikes.
Sadly, that would raise the cost of an F3 season astronomically, to even more than it is at the moment. Remember that a season of British F3 with a top team costs around £400,000, and an international series would only be more expensive.
Old 8 May 2003, 22:30 (Ref:594051)   #21
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Rayner
Sadly, that would raise the cost of an F3 season astronomically, to even more than it is at the moment. Remember that a season of British F3 with a top team costs around £400,000, and an international series would only be more expensive.
It will, but I suspect that the victims of an international F3 series will be some of the other internationl single seater series, like the Nissan- and Renault-series.

All of this is pure fantasy, but a fantasy I would like to see in the flesh one day. Thankfully fantasies don't cost a thing, but the use of one's head.

This will be all from me for some days, but keep it coming.
Old 8 May 2003, 22:58 (Ref:594070)   #22
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In an ideal world, I reckon each GP weekend should include the F3000 race but renamed as F2 as suggested here, a world championship sportscar race and a world championship touring car race. Also throw in a historic event for a little flavour of the history of the sport. It would make sense for the manufacturers involved in F1 to also show their products in the supporting sports and touring car races. I also think it should be compulsory for future F1 drivers to come through F2 or CART. Therefore the supporting F2 race would have real meaning.
A fantasy maybe, but even better would be seeing some of the F1 stars do the supporting events too in their respective manufacturers cars. Just like they did in the 60s! Afterall they have time on their hands now with no warm up and only do half the job of previous F1 drivers due to driver aids.
Old 13 May 2003, 15:00 (Ref:597978)   #23
Hammerwerfer
Rookie

Ireland
Deutschland/Éire
Hammerwerfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree with Jesper OH in that a weekend with the three classes would be a great idea. It would certainly make the job of getting sponsorship for the lesser formulas that much easier.
Old 13 May 2003, 15:20 (Ref:598007)   #24
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure this will save F3000 in itself, but it should boost the series. The idea of a MotoGP style meeting sounds good, with drivers given a good chance to progress as they will know the circuits immediately