Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 Sep 2005, 18:24 (Ref:1399704)   #51
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchow
It was DC Sports--they commissioned the construction of an Accord based on the NA bodystyle. That bodystyle was the same as the Japanese bodystyled Accord. It must have cost them a bundle. Then the NATCC was cancelled. I wonder what happened to that car?
Yeah, I just recall there were 2 NA/Japan styled Accords, the DC Sport one never raced while there was an ex-JTCC one that was raced by enthusiasts/engineers from the Honda factory (HART). That ex-JTCC one was a R&D car they found from Honda Japan. It was never really reliabile.
Old 5 Sep 2005, 18:56 (Ref:1399733)   #52
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
A couple of days away and so much to catch up on....

Quote:
Well, when you get bored one day, you could always have a separate registry for local builds.
Local builds are a bit of a grey area. If it was part of a full ST series (NATCC or ASTC for example) then I don't see why it shouldn't be included. Anything else will depend on how much info I can get and how relevent it seems.

Quote:
(Bora) VW actually built at least one car, but it only raced at a few German endurance races and it was powered by a diesel engine.
Actually I'd forgotten about the diesel Bora

Quote:
Wasn't that the Mitsubishi Carisma?
You're right it was. What series did the Lancer run in?

Quote:
(Peugeot 806) Was that ST build or F1 build? It was powered by a F1 engine.
You're thinking of the Renault F1 Espace, completely different beast.

Quote:
Does the FIA have records for every single car they homologated?
Don't know about every car but they do record every model - http://www.fia.com/sport/Homologatio..._vehicles.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
There is just one Audi left down under. Brad Jones Racing converted one of their first two A4 Quattros into a ride car. They never repainted it away from the early red/navy/white ORIX colours to the later aluminium look of the 1998/1999 cars. It's a strange car to see tucked away in the back of a V8Supercar workshop but you see it there from time to time in articles.
Is that the one in the Bathurst museum? The nice people there let me have a good crawl around under the bonnet but couldn't tell me anything about it.

Quote:
There was another thread in the Australian touring car forum where the history of the many ex-BTCC Australian Peugeots was pulled apart one by one.
Thanks, I'll try to dig that one out.
Old 5 Sep 2005, 20:42 (Ref:1399813)   #53
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbo
Ok. Funny how you guys are talking about the Matt Neal Super Touring Nissan when:

http://www.racecarsdirect.com/cars/d...=forsale&cat=6

this car comes up for sale! (price as mentioned in post #33)
See also: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-PRIMERA...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 6 Sep 2005, 00:06 (Ref:1399955)   #54
kmchow
Veteran

What about the Opel Ascona? Was that a local build car or genuine ST car? I don't have pictures of the Opel Ascona though. Though according to quick Google search, that car was discontinued since '86? So what version would be running in '94? A rebaged Astra of the same era?

Both the Mitsu Lancer and Opel Ascona were raced in the '94 Swiss Touring Car Championship. Don't know where the cars were originally came from. The Mitsu looked quite ST.

Opel Ascona, driven by Daniel Mauerhoferer, run by Ecurie Basillisk
Mitsu Lancer, driven by Rene Hollinger, run by Ecurie Basillisk. That team also ran some MB 190Es.

Then there was the local build privateer JTCC raced pair of Subaru Impreza wagons run by Syms Motorsport.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 02:42 (Ref:1399993)   #55
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes the BJR car is probably the one that has spent some time in the Bathurst museum. Cars tend to rotate through there are most cars are on loan from their owners rather than owned by the museum itself. There are a LOT of cars that drift through there for short and long periods, and as with Donington as many as possible are kept in working order.

It was a race car in I think 1996 (making it 1995 BTCC) and was kept in Australia as a spare car originally after both Brad and Greg Murphy but the team through the ringer repairing cars after some nasty accidents. It was used on ocasion as a third car for publicity or points stealing purposes and has been raced by IIRC Trevor Sheumack, Alan Jones and Paul Gover (or Peter McKay) at various times supporting Jones and Murphy/McConville. At some point a passengers seat was put in and it started being used for sponsor rides.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 08:05 (Ref:1400090)   #56
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Then there was the local build privateer JTCC raced pair of Subaru Impreza wagons run by Syms Motorsport.
Do you have a photo of this car?
Old 6 Sep 2005, 09:32 (Ref:1400164)   #57
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Both the Mitsu Lancer and Opel Ascona were raced in the '94 Swiss Touring Car Championship. Don't know where the cars were originally came from. The Mitsu looked quite ST.
That will be why I've not heard of them. I'm looking specifically at SuperTourers, i.e. the 'wings and spliter' regs introduced in 1995, or it certain cases pre-95 Class 2 cars later converted to ST spec. If I started including every 2.0 litre race car there would be thousands to deal with.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1400731)   #58
Wilbo
Racer

Wilbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Originally Posted by JMeissner
Lets not forget the Andy Rouse build ST Toyota Corolla!

Here is a picture of the Toyata Corolla:

http://www.chem.leeds.ac.uk/ICAMS/pe.../Corolla98.jpg

Hope this works as a link!
Old 6 Sep 2005, 20:02 (Ref:1400735)   #59
Wilbo
Racer

Also prototype Mitsubishi Carisma:

http://www.chem.leeds.ac.uk/ICAMS/pe...cp/Carisma.jpg
Old 6 Sep 2005, 20:03 (Ref:1400739)   #60
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why did Andy Rouse build the Corolla? Was it a project that never got the funding or was he trying to persuade Toyota to support him ?
Old 6 Sep 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1400740)   #61
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Has this car something to do with the Dutch Carisma's which raced in DTCC (Holland) and some races in BTCC?
Old 6 Sep 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1400759)   #62
Wilbo
Racer

I have no idea to the history of this car.

Anyone any information?
Old 6 Sep 2005, 20:30 (Ref:1400776)   #63
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I have no idea to the history of this car.

Anyone any information?
According this page is was prepared for the German Super Touringcar Series (STW). Season 1995 or 1996?.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 20:45 (Ref:1400786)   #64
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's an Evo3 Lancer in the background, so that might give a clue as to it's age.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 20:52 (Ref:1400794)   #65
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just to go back to Audi's. I think that Audi UK may have one of Frank Biela's A4's it was on display at the LMES race at Silverstone last year in the Audi UK display, I have a photo somewhere.

It was also at the Autosport Show back in January:- http://www.rdj-pics.co.uk/Photos/200...s/IMG_8638.JPG
Old 6 Sep 2005, 20:53 (Ref:1400795)   #66
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
According this page is was prepared for the German Super Touringcar Series (STW). Season 1995 or 1996?.
I don´t remember a Mitsubishi in STW, and i didn´t see it on German touring car webs (Faszination tourenwagen for example) either. Could it have raced in Japan touring car championship?
Old 7 Sep 2005, 06:26 (Ref:1401040)   #67
kmchow
Veteran

No, the Carisma was never raced in the any ST series in Japan or the STW. Was the above Carisma even a real ST car or just a lookalike? Who built or prepared the car? Ralliart? It looks awesome. I recall when that picture was first released, it was just supposed to be a mockup? Why would Mitsubishi go to all the expense is another story? Perhaps Mitsu was just like VW with their Bora? They seriously considered a ST effort, but then backed off?
Old 7 Sep 2005, 08:54 (Ref:1401129)   #68
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember that Carisma. I think it was the real deal, but never made it to the race tracks.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 16:03 (Ref:1401487)   #69
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Why did Andy Rouse build the Corolla? Was it a project that never got the funding or was he trying to persuade Toyota to support him ?
It was an attempt to make a car that was affordable for privateers. At the time building your own car was out of reach for most non-factory teams so your only option was to buy a year old ex-works car or commission the factory team to build an extra car for you. Either way that was far too expensive, assuming of course the the factory would actually let you have an old car, many didn't. In theory the Corolla would be a brand new ready to run car for half the cost of a second hand one. OK, so it may not have been good enough to be at the sharp end but then neither would year old car on a privateer budget.

The entire project was beset with delays and political bickering. Intially the Corolla road car was going to be built in Britain so the race car could be homologated via the MSA. Then road car production got posponed which meant homologation would have to go via Japan and Toyota Japan weren't interested in helping (they already rallied the Corolla and didn't want the car to be raced as well). Eventually Toyota agreed but as the homologation was now going via Japan all the application paperwork had to be translated and submitted into Japanese, which meant further delays.

By the time it was homologated nearly 9 months later than planned it was all a bit too late. Patrick Watts tested the car with a view to entering the last few BTCC rounds but the budget wasn't there. There was also an attempt to run in the Tourist Trophy, but again no funds available.

To my knowledge only one car was ever built. Believe it was sold to a club racer and used in North East Sports/Saloons for a while. No idea where it is now.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1401655)   #70
garry
Racer

garry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I Believe it went to Brian Chatfiled and is now in NewZealand, with a lot of other of his cars.
Old 8 Sep 2005, 04:04 (Ref:1401889)   #71
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
You could try and get in touch with Paul Pickett from MoPro who runs the Lotus Trophy here in Australia and he may be able to tell you what happened to his ex (I think) Geoff Steel BTCC BMW 318iS. Pickett also had the two ST Hyundai Lantras (Elantras) that were built by Colin Bond (who also built the two Ozzie ST Toyota Corolla Secas). Pickett has since sold the Lantras on to others, but the BMW I'm less sure.
Old 8 Sep 2005, 04:15 (Ref:1401892)   #72
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
During Ozzie Super Touring there were four purpose built Australian STs, all built by Colin Bond. Two Toyota Corolla Secas in 1993 and two Hyundai Lantras a year later.

There were ten conversions.
Two BMW E30 M3s were created from 1987 build Group A 2.3 litre cars.
Two BMW E30 M3s were created from 1991 build Group A 2.5 litre cars.
Two Ford Sierras were created from Group A era RS500 turbo cars.
Two Mercedes-Benz 190Es were created from 1986 build Group A 2.3 litre cars.
One Mercedes-Benz 190E was created from 1992 build DTM 2.5 litre car.
One Toyota Sprinter AE86 was created from a 1985 build 1.6 litre Group A car.
Old 21 Sep 2005, 18:51 (Ref:1413313)   #73
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have just found that someone in Belgium is selling a 1999 Spec Honda Accord, more details at:- http://www.racecarsdirect.com/cars/d...id=24846&cat=0

I also found on the same site Ex Radisich Mondeo:- http://www.racecarsdirect.com/cars/d...id=24812&cat=0

and James Thompson 1996 Vectra http://www.racecarsdirect.com/cars/d...id=24275&cat=6
Old 22 Sep 2005, 09:58 (Ref:1413764)   #74
hawkenr
Racer

United Kingdom
Walton-on-Thames
hawkenr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi A4 ST

Audi UL do own one of the A4's from 1997, a true Quattro. it was recently on display at the London Piccadilly Audi Showroom. Despite saying Biela on the rear windonw it was in fact a Bintcliffe car, or at least his name was sewn into the seat.

I have a picture but can't post it????
Old 22 Sep 2005, 10:23 (Ref:1413787)   #75
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
There's a ST Laguna advertised for sale in this months Track and Race Car magazine, just overhauled, 0 mile sodemo engine. No picture or history unfortunately.