Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Jan 2016, 19:49 (Ref:3606328)   #201
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
You'll get answer to the second question by visiting the first pages of the thread.
Thanks. It was more to encourage those who had to talk about if they are getting special communications.

Anyone new? Anyone want to come out of the woodwork? I've contributed in a similar way to Bloodhound.
Old 20 Jan 2016, 14:09 (Ref:3606566)   #202
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have just checked on my IndieGoGo account to remind myself what I had donated to The Cause. £25 for which I get lifetime access to 'The Platform' (whatever that is).

They raised £295k on IndieGoGo which was 111% of their original Goal amount, so it is not as if they got less money than they expected.

The last email I can find from Brabham in my gmail search is the one with my user/pwd details for their 'Brabham Digital' site.

I've also donated to Bloodhound and it is a good comparison as to how to run a (seemingly) successful project mixing crowd funded elements with commercial sponsorships, and having well defined goals (breaking a record and providing education)

Bloodhound seem to be able to generate a lot of goodwill, PR and volunteering efforts based on the education element of the project.
Old 20 Jan 2016, 20:07 (Ref:3606683)   #203
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Cheers

Yes, you can't help but like the Bloodhound project. Good communication and a name on the car! It also helps that it is quite easy to get to see the team. They tour and are at lots of events. I see them at Goodwood and without even trying (in some case actively the opposite!) have found myself in conversation with someone working on the car, or one of the volunteers. They haven't hit their original timings, but somehow it doesn't matter. A project like this is going to evolve and goodwill remains. Irrespective of whether they are successful it is great to see them in schools and the providing educational material.

Brabham. The lack of details is frustrating. The loss of P2 as an open category is a real shame for them. If that is a set back they should have communicated that and perhaps asked the people who had contributed for ideas of the best approach to getting a car they engineered racing. I thought that was part of the plan, get input from the investors.

So you didn't run to the tuition from Brabham then?
Old 20 Jan 2016, 22:19 (Ref:3606722)   #204
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They talked on running some rent chassis after the LMP2 spec regs were bought to public knowledge, but that got shafted away just as quickly as anything else. And once again, if they don't have money to run shoestring Oreca or Zytek or whatever, how come they still babble about LMP1. At least if they run something you at least got the impression that the the team actually existed and wasn't all waporware.

It would probably help off things if we knew more than --- nothing at all --- on this hypothetical new vision of motorsports they're talking of, while sunbathing on the deck of the yacht. Unless this vision is just open source, which itself uis nothing new or visionary

Love how some still keep mentioning F1 comeback to them on social media.

Last edited by Deleted; 20 Jan 2016 at 22:31.
Old 20 Jan 2016, 23:41 (Ref:3606741)   #205
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Yes, you can't help but like the Bloodhound project. Good communication and a name on the car! It also helps that it is quite easy to get to see the team. They tour and are at lots of events. ..... A project like this is going to evolve and goodwill remains. Irrespective of whether they are successful it is great to see them in schools and the providing educational material.
Actually, if you compare the two projects, Bloodhound weren't offering its members very much at all to begin with. 1k Club members get access to some exclusive website content (which is nothing to write home about) and the promise of an invitation to see the car run, a certificate, and a few other goodies.

The difference is that Bloodhound have something to show for it, and always have done. In the early days they had an actual Eurofighter engine to show people, and lots of images and models of the car even as it was being designed. Later you could put your name on the fin, and they built a full size polystyrene mock-up to tour the country with. I am very happy to have contributed to it, even if I don't get any more for my money than non-members do.

Brabham are truly selling an idea and nothing more. You can't communicate with people if you don't really have anything to communicate, you can't give them exclusive access if there is no content.

Last edited by pirenzo; 20 Jan 2016 at 23:50.
Old 21 Jan 2016, 11:11 (Ref:3606816)   #206
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry to see this now attracting so much scepticism. David Brabham is so well respected and with vast experience one wonders if others were involved in persuading him to add his name. (This may have been covered earlier in the thread, if so I apologise)

LMP1 is not for the faint hearted and many BIG manufacturer names have pulled out, not to mention some equally big private funding families so for this to work as envisaged it needed lots of management. £8 million in £25s needs 320,000 contributors and even if individuals put in a lot more than that simply managing the ambitions of so many investors requires considerable resource. From comments on here it seems that has not been the case and some quick action is needed if DB's "face" is to be saved.

IMO £8 million will not go far in designing and building a successful LMP1, LMP 2 was possible but now?
Old 21 Jan 2016, 11:35 (Ref:3606819)   #207
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Sorry to see this now attracting so much scepticism. David Brabham is so well respected (...)
He might have been until he decided to head this ... "operation".

The respect/admiration he had earned himself in earlier stages of his motorsports life seems to take care of lack of coverage in the motorsports press of the lack of progress this project is making.
Which annoys me even more than the loss of the money I gave his project.
Old 21 Jan 2016, 19:20 (Ref:3606931)   #208
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The best approach (assuming it's still not all hoax) if they didn't have any budget to begin with, would have been to talk to the backers in steady course and not announce anything to the public until you had firm vision and resources in place. You know, like everyone else. The open source platform could've been announced at that stage too, when you actually had something to show for. The only downside, no free crowdfunded yacht to look forward to
Old 22 Jan 2016, 02:28 (Ref:3607026)   #209
truebeliever
Racer

truebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtruebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The best approach (assuming it's still not all hoax) if they didn't have any budget to begin with, would have been to talk to the backers in steady course and not announce anything to the public until you had firm vision and resources in place. You know, like everyone else. The open source platform could've been announced at that stage too, when you actually had something to show for. The only downside, no free crowdfunded yacht to look forward to
I wonder what can come next with this "Project?" If anything at all other than another vision?

For I cannot see crowd funding being able to raise and sustain sufficient money to design, produce and race an LMP1 WEC program. That said, I also do not know the level and expense they are facturing on to do so, or what it would cost, but can imagine well into 8 digit figures!

If LMP2 evisioned a yacht, would LMP1 envision a private jet I wonder?
Old 22 Jan 2016, 10:08 (Ref:3607070)   #210
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebeliever View Post
... I cannot see crowd funding being able to raise and sustain sufficient money to design, produce and race an LMP1 WEC program...
Indeed. Their current campaign is barely enough to run a single car in a national GT series.

I think the only way to use Crowd Funding is as the cherry on top of an already funded programme. Get us punters to pay for behind the scenes access (LM pit garage tours etc.) and exclusive merchandise, and then use it as profit/yacht fund/bankroll money.
Old 22 Jan 2016, 20:21 (Ref:3607201)   #211
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
From what I understood the crowd funding part was meant to get it going, not sustain it.

It was also meant to get you something. From membership of a club type website, to access to driver or car development programmes, an opportunity to suggest or by democracy (on the Internet ) chose certain paths the team would take, to time with personal driver coaching if you contributed enough.

Which is why I asked if anyone was a member/contributed as I wasn't in a position to comment if they were starting to provide any of that.

Disappointing none of that is coming yet...
Old 23 Jan 2016, 00:24 (Ref:3607242)   #212
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A tour of the yacht would be a good idea.
Old 23 Jan 2016, 09:37 (Ref:3607276)   #213
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
From what I understood the crowd funding part was meant to get it going, not sustain it.

It was also meant to get you something. From membership of a club type website, to access to driver or car development programmes, an opportunity to suggest or by democracy (on the Internet ) chose certain paths the team would take, to time with personal driver coaching if you contributed enough.

Which is why I asked if anyone was a member/contributed as I wasn't in a position to comment if they were starting to provide any of that.

Disappointing none of that is coming yet...
Just to make sure one thing is communicated properly: They DID set up a member site with a (joke of a) forum. So there's your members only private access. The forum contains a message from the man from like mid august and since then brabham media has been posting once every other month (that includes christmas wishes).

And there's the man's view on what they've achieved (the brabs Q&A, dec 2015 version). I would quote it here for laughs and giggles, but all content on brabham digital com is (c) brabham global ltd and can only be shared with explicit permission from brabham. Which I haven't asked for. Let's summarize as "all is well and we have delivered and are working on great prospects for you and us"

I'd classify as the typical loss of contact to reality someone experiences who swims too long in the marketing waters.

Old 23 Jan 2016, 09:45 (Ref:3607278)   #214
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Yes, very frustrating.

Although there will be an extra source of income from the libel actions against the stolen money allegations
Old 23 Jan 2016, 10:20 (Ref:3607280)   #215
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Quote:
Although there will be an extra source of income from the libel actions against the stolen money allegations
Now THAT I can see gowing towards a yacht fund
Old 24 Jan 2016, 11:19 (Ref:3607566)   #216
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post
A tour of the yacht would be a good idea.
Tickets for that cost 5 dollars though. 25 for VIP package that includes plastic cup of lukewarm beer and black&white photo of the said yacht.

And this is all assuming you actually traveled to the location at your own expense.
Old 29 Jan 2016, 14:23 (Ref:3609034)   #217
Mark8539
Rookie

Mark8539 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I contributed £25 to Project Brabham.

It's crowd funding, at the end of the day you will never see your money again and may get nothing back from it. It's a risk, I accept that.

However, what I'm very disappointed is the almost non-existent communication. Surely, say, a monthly email from them about the progress or lack of wouldn't be too much? There's a few bits and bobs on the website and in the members' forum but I really don't see the community being engaged at this point.
Old 19 Jul 2016, 22:51 (Ref:3659673)   #218
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Just noticed it's been over half a year since the latest news on the site (Sergio Rinland joining as technical advisor).
Old 20 Jul 2016, 19:41 (Ref:3659823)   #219
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
Just noticed it's been over half a year since the latest news on the site (Sergio Rinland joining as technical advisor).
It's summer let them have fun on their boat.
Old 20 Jul 2016, 21:54 (Ref:3659839)   #220
Deleted
Veteran

Actually it's winter now in the land of Oz. But technically even their winter is everlasting summer so it doesn't really matter either way I guess.

The recorded mileage of the yacht must be pretty impressive by now.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 13:31 (Ref:3659924)   #221
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Reportedly the project took a dive...

Old 21 Jul 2016, 16:27 (Ref:3659963)   #222
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Actually it's winter now in the land of Oz. But technically even their winter is everlasting summer so it doesn't really matter either way I guess.

The recorded mileage of the yacht must be pretty impressive by now.
Correct me if I am wrong but the team is base in the UK.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 19:10 (Ref:3660003)   #223
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
"The team"
Old 21 Jul 2016, 19:20 (Ref:3660007)   #224
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
What team??
Old 21 Jul 2016, 19:54 (Ref:3660016)   #225
Mikelancs
Rookie

Mikelancs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark8539 View Post
I contributed £25 to Project Brabham.

It's crowd funding, at the end of the day you will never see your money again and may get nothing back from it. It's a risk, I accept that.

However, what I'm very disappointed is the almost non-existent communication. Surely, say, a monthly email from them about the progress or lack of wouldn't be too much? There's a few bits and bobs on the website and in the members' forum but I really don't see the community being engaged at this point.
This! I also contributed the same, they have or are gaining momentum for a bit of a PR disaster ? Not great to have such bad press associated with the Brabham name

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk