Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 Dec 2018, 16:17 (Ref:3873313)   #151
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What baffles me (as well as the rest of it) is where all this extra freight is coming from. We will not be suddenly importing or exporting hugely increased volumes because there is no deal. The more likely scenario is that customs delays will create lengthy queues on both sides of the channel, and no amount of extra space on boats is going to address that.
Old 31 Dec 2018, 16:24 (Ref:3873314)   #152
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
What baffles me (as well as the rest of it) is where all this extra freight is coming from. We will not be suddenly importing or exporting hugely increased volumes because there is no deal. The more likely scenario is that customs delays will create lengthy queues on both sides of the channel, and no amount of extra space on boats is going to address that.

I believe that the thinking behind the idea is that by spreading the movement (i.e. spreading the misery!) amongst more ports that it will stop - or possibly lessen - any potential bottlenecks at Dover and Calais.

I sort of understand the reasoning, and if contingency planning hadn't been put in place, the government would have received yet another kicking for not thinking ahead!
Old 31 Dec 2018, 16:50 (Ref:3873319)   #153
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Grant, think the idea is to take some traffic away from the Dover Calais crossing. Hence resurrected route between Ramsgate and Ostend, plus extra ferries from Portsmouth to Le Havre, Plymouth to somewhere, East coast to Netherlands or further North.....

What seems incredible to me is that the 3 companies that have been awarded contracts (not put out to tender, apparently) will get paid even if the new services are not needed at the end of March....
Maybe we could have Folkestone-Boulogne back where we booked on and cleared customs in an old cattle shed.
Old 31 Dec 2018, 17:02 (Ref:3873324)   #154
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
The more ships floating about the Channel means the chances of illegal immigrants in rubber boats of making it across to England should be severely reduced

Sense at last from the Government.
Old 31 Dec 2018, 17:22 (Ref:3873327)   #155
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
The more ships floating about the Channel means the chances of illegal immigrants in rubber boats of making it across to England should be severely reduced

Sense at last from the Government.
I like your logic!
Old 31 Dec 2018, 21:34 (Ref:3873358)   #156
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I believe that the thinking behind the idea is that by spreading the movement (i.e. spreading the misery!) amongst more ports that it will stop - or possibly lessen - any potential bottlenecks at Dover and Calais.

I sort of understand the reasoning, and if contingency planning hadn't been put in place, the government would have received yet another kicking for not thinking ahead!
Yes of course, but maybe if this had been laid out in a planning document 13 months ago we would

a) have had a better hand in negotiations with the EU and

b) convinced us, the electorate, that they weren't just making it up as they went along

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 1 Jan 2019, 06:41 (Ref:3873390)   #157
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
DFDS were offering attractive prices for freight bookings on their little known Newhaven-Dieppe service in 2017, but for me, the road route to Newhaven was reason enough not to take them up on the offer! Maybe in 2019 the crossing will be of interest to more people....

I see that Britney are also supposed to be adding extra crossings from Poole to Cherbourg as part of the government deal. Most of my journeys involve Portsmouth, so I’m just hoping that the port doesn’t get messed up. It already struggles if more than one boat is unloading at the same time!
Old 1 Jan 2019, 08:59 (Ref:3873399)   #158
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I wonder how many gubbernment officials are on the board of Seabourne, or am I being a tad cynical?

Why don't you find out ? In the meantime, be a good chap and spare us the sub Daily Express speculation will you ?
Old 1 Jan 2019, 10:15 (Ref:3873411)   #159
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Should there be a decision to have a second referendum on leaving the EU, I wonder how many people on both sides of the argument would vote now.

Would the protracted, and 'nebulous' negotiations persuade Leavers to change their mind? Would the cavalier attitude of the EU Bureaucracy cause a change of heart in Remainers?

Would the Sunny Uplands look different to either side of the argument/ Brighter than the Remainers thought or cloudier than the Leavers hoped.

I doubt a second go would settle matters either way, and personally think it a betrayal of democracy, but it makes one think. Well it does me, and I would still vote Leave.

Well it is 2019, and we need to keep the discussion going.
Old 1 Jan 2019, 10:16 (Ref:3873412)   #160
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The Government has claimed to have done 'due diligence' on Seabourne and are satisfied that they have the expertise, resources, and personal to do the job. We can only hope.
Apparently owned by a relative of a tory MP so there's nothing to worry about!!
Old 1 Jan 2019, 10:21 (Ref:3873414)   #161
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I sadly suspect you are correct.

Edit: Checked and can find nobody I recognise. https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10709921

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 1 Jan 2019 at 14:09.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 08:58 (Ref:3873566)   #162
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I sadly suspect you are correct.

Edit: Checked and can find nobody I recognise. https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10709921
Shame, sounded like a good story.

Similarly the one I heard yesterday about Mr Farage's application for German nationality being turned down, but his children got it so they will be able to get away from him easier!
Old 2 Jan 2019, 09:01 (Ref:3873567)   #163
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
The biggest reason brexiteers don't want a second vote of any nature is their majority is dead. Hundreds of thousands of over 70's a year pushing up daisies. Whilst the number of young people Now eligible to vote has gone up in similar numbers, 75% of them remainers. Even my sons school class at the age of 11 voted 90% remain (a few of them had fingers in noses and didn't put their hand up)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8541971.html

I think we're all agreed it's the most divicisive thing to happen In all our lifetimes and goes well beyond party politics ( red and blue are equally inept at this )

I don't believe a second vote is a betrayal of democracy, that's just a few papers bleating at you. Plenty of civilised nations have done it, successfully. A no deal is a constitutional change surely? Therefore should it not have a super majority?

Either way we were all lied to and no one quite knew what was genuinely on offer. We are now being taken down a dark alley by an unelected careerist turncoat. As long as several million people continue to be hoodwinked by daily rags which are little more than funded fascist propaganda, the future remains extremely uncertain.

Quote:
Should there be a decision to have a second referendum on leaving the EU, I wonder how many people on both sides of the argument would vote now.

Would the protracted, and 'nebulous' negotiations persuade Leavers to change their mind? Would the cavalier attitude of the EU Bureaucracy cause a change of heart in Remainers?

Would the Sunny Uplands look different to either side of the argument/ Brighter than the Remainers thought or cloudier than the Leavers hoped.

I doubt a second go would settle matters either way, and personally think it a betrayal of democracy, but it makes one think. Well it does me, and I would still vote Leave.

Well it is 2019, and we need to keep the discussion going.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 09:04 (Ref:3873569)   #164
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
That's the best news I've heard so far today. What's the chances of his British passport getting cancelled too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
Mr Farage's application for German nationality being turned down, but his children got it so they will be able to get away from him easier!
Old 2 Jan 2019, 09:20 (Ref:3873573)   #165
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This 'young v old' theme keeps cropping up every now and then and like a lot of the on-going Brexit debate isn't exactly illuminating of the issues. Perhaps more of the young people now up in arms about Brexit should have bothered to vote. Quoting from the above article:

'YouGov found that young people who did not vote in the 2016 referendum are particularly supportive of calls for another poll.

Among under-25s who did not vote in 2016 but would be certain to do so in a new referendum, 82 per cent said they would back Remain'.

So perhaps they should have voted in the first place.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 09:36 (Ref:3873576)   #166
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gary, I think the point Joe is making is that just as a lot of 'oldies' who voted are now no longer with us, similarly, a lot of new young people are now of voting age.

I am a tad concerned that we are getting away from the subject of Simon's original post however, particularly since this dreadfully divisive subject has managed to also infiltrate itself into Ian's chat thread.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 2 Jan 2019, 10:16 (Ref:3873584)   #167
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Young people are guilty of not voting in much larger numbers. My opinion is voting should be law, as in Australia.

As far as Simons original post . . . .if I renew my license to International C, and either current option happens . . . .will I be allowed to race on the continent with it?
Old 2 Jan 2019, 10:23 (Ref:3873585)   #168
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Young people are guilty of not voting in much larger numbers. My opinion is voting should be law, as in Australia.

As far as Simons original post . . . .if I renew my license to International C, and either current option happens . . . .will I be allowed to race on the continent with it?
I have little doubt that if the 'young voters' were informed of your predicament, they would certainly vote 'remain'

PS; Some say that we old leavers won't be around to suffer the consequences of our decision, by the same token I will probably not reap the benefits of my decision either. Sad.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 10:45 (Ref:3873589)   #169
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Let's turn it round - I'm asking you why on earth wouldn't you?
Would an Int'l C allow you to race sur le continent pre-1974? Maybe therein lies the answer...
Old 2 Jan 2019, 10:53 (Ref:3873591)   #170
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
I am a tad concerned that we are getting away from the subject of Simon's original post however, particularly since this dreadfully divisive subject has managed to also infiltrate itself into Ian's chat thread.
Maybe better that the subject infiltrates this thread rather than tea break!

I’m ready to book the first ferry crossing of the season, which will be for the 31st of March! Have to keep positive and work on the basis that Europe will not grind to a halt.....
Old 2 Jan 2019, 11:15 (Ref:3873594)   #171
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Gary, I think the point Joe is making is that just as a lot of 'oldies' who voted are now no longer with us, similarly, a lot of new young people are now of voting age.
Yes, I realised that John. It wasn't a comment about Joe's views; merely highlighting the related issue about so many young people now complaining about decisions made by an older generation against their wishes whilst many of them who could have voted didn't even bother. The 'dead voters' and 'new voters' issue is a separate point although related, as stated.

For the record, despite being from the older generation (although not of pensionable age) I voted remain - but it was a close call.

As for the debate on this thread - it may be away from Simon's original post but I've found it quite interesting, as is the one on the Delta threads. A largely friendly discussion about a serious point.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 11:41 (Ref:3873596)   #172
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gary, good points, well made!

Mike, the 'new' Delta thread is so far devoid of it so yes, maybe!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 2 Jan 2019, 12:16 (Ref:3873599)   #173
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Did an International license exists pre 1974? I was only 3 with a flagrant disregard for the law on my trike, or in my pedal car beach buggy!

Voting turn outs are poor full stop, the young are more guilty for sure, but the whole system is broken. Not just Brexit but politics in general.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 16:15 (Ref:3873631)   #174
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:
That's the best news I've heard so far today. What's the chances of his British passport getting cancelled too?
Please not, he'd end up spending even more time in Brussels and it's hard to avoid him (or his hands according to the ladies) in pubs!

I'm currently wondering about defriending my friend who found herself next to him while waiting for the Eurostar, surely the perfect opportunity to have nudged him in the right direction...
Old 2 Jan 2019, 16:29 (Ref:3873633)   #175
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Yes, I realised that John. It wasn't a comment about Joe's views; merely highlighting the related issue about so many young people now complaining about decisions made by an older generation against their wishes whilst many of them who could have voted didn't even bother. The 'dead voters' and 'new voters' issue is a separate point although related, as stated.

For the record, despite being from the older generation (although not of pensionable age) I voted remain - but it was a close call.

As for the debate on this thread - it may be away from Simon's original post but I've found it quite interesting, as is the one on the Delta threads. A largely friendly discussion about a serious point.
Indeed and the problem with the age thing is twofold. 1. a lack of respect for the people of both sides who got off their arse to actually vote in a democratic poll; and 2, there were also many sick people who may now be no longer with us, who also voted. Both apply equally to each side. And don't believe the polls since they got it wrong originally.

Additionally there's already been a "people's vote", otherwise known as a General Election and as far as I am aware the only party to openly back remain at the last election was the Lib Dems. That worked well didn't it? But then I suppose there weren't enough young voters to back them.

It's very likely to be an academic problem anyway. The financial news for the Eurozone is becoming seriously iffy.

It's not a divisive subject if people treat it sensibly and before spouting the usual trite stories about age etc. they actually looked at the arguments for and/against. The bus thing is typical it was £350m per day(?) and we can use that to help the NHS. Not £350m per day to go to the NHS. But words get twisted to suit an argument.

Nothing that I've seen in my experience of working all around the world can convince me that the EU is a good thing. All it is is a European version of China, only they do it better.