Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 7 Aug 2020, 17:47 (Ref:3993600)   #2351
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I found driving in Holland a fairly stressful experience around towns where I was VERY aware that cyclists had priority, and the type of roundabouts on which the Cambridge one is modelled were particularly nerve-twitching. I did think that in general however the Dutch do have a very relaxed attitude to their cycling - across all ages - with little evidence of our "lycra-lout" culture.
Old 7 Aug 2020, 19:05 (Ref:3993624)   #2352
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry richard, I dont know what you mean with lycra-tout. Is it a re to a beer or Mike H's edible panties?
Old 8 Aug 2020, 06:38 (Ref:3993722)   #2353
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
There's a good reason for that Gordon, they must follow the same rules as truck drivers! just take any highway there pulling a trailer at night and you learn quickly what wild means…
As a cyclist and a truck driver I take great offence at this remark. You will hear from my solicitor

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 8 Aug 2020, 07:00 (Ref:3993728)   #2354
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I found driving in Holland a fairly stressful experience around towns where I was VERY aware that cyclists had priority, and the type of roundabouts on which the Cambridge one is modelled were particularly nerve-twitching. I did think that in general however the Dutch do have a very relaxed attitude to their cycling - across all ages - with little evidence of our "lycra-lout" culture.
I know what you mean, Richard. The last time I drove in Amsterdam I was just glad to get out of the place without having actually squished anyone. I vowed never to return!

We get Tour de France re-enactments round here every Sunday but they are generally a bit more sensible.
Old 8 Aug 2020, 07:54 (Ref:3993735)   #2355
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
As a cyclist and a truck driver I take great offence at this remark. You will hear from my solicitor

Ditto.
Old 8 Aug 2020, 09:47 (Ref:3993752)   #2356
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Sorry richard, I dont know what you mean with lycra-tout. Is it a re to a beer or Mike H's edible panties?

Ah, Gerard - we have a brand of aggressive cyclists who seek to "reclaim the roads" - often dressing as their competition heroes in the tight lycra shorts and tops of the racing teams whilst hurtling around our towns generally ignoring all rules of the road and indeed safety......many of them operating (in London at least) as couriers.

Not to be confused with the other scourge - the MAMIL (middle-aged man in Lycra) who may dress similarly but usually has a somewhat less athletic frame, and a liking for posing as if a competitor, but realistically happier creating a mobile road-block by riding side-by-side with his mates, often en route to the pub.....
Old 8 Aug 2020, 12:46 (Ref:3993780)   #2357
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm, I've been doinf a few charity rides recently on my mountain bike which is quite good. But I got fed up with being passed by riders on road bikes so I've invested in a full carbon bike. It only weighs 8 kg. Looking forward to trying it. We rented two E bikes in the new forest yesterday. They are a hoot to ride. I pushed it to max power and rode over a small humped back bridge. Managed to get some air.
Old 8 Aug 2020, 13:45 (Ref:3993789)   #2358
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Hmm, I've been doinf a few charity rides recently on my mountain bike which is quite good. But I got fed up with being passed by riders on road bikes so I've invested in a full carbon bike. It only weighs 8 kg. Looking forward to trying it. We rented two E bikes in the new forest yesterday. They are a hoot to ride. I pushed it to max power and rode over a small humped back bridge. Managed to get some air.

Could you please give us plenty of warning if you are going to post a picture of you in your LYCRA shorts
Old 8 Aug 2020, 14:16 (Ref:3993799)   #2359
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've got a really nice hand built 531 road bike, 10kg exactly . . . . the weight of the bike isn't an issue, its's the wight and ability of the rider!

TBH I don't enjoy riding on the road anymore, driving cars on them isn't much fun either. Scooters need weaving to avoid craters and sink holes . . . . must look like I'm ****ed most of the time!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4246.jpg  
Old 8 Aug 2020, 14:20 (Ref:3993800)   #2360
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ahreed re the weight of the rider but a nice comfortable lightweight bile is always better for the road than a relatively hefty MTB.
Old 8 Aug 2020, 14:27 (Ref:3993802)   #2361
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
We bought two E-bikes and became quickly addicts. My wife's is a Sparta using a Bosch brushless unit, so comfy and all the accessories including tyres and tubes are great quality. Not cheap and rather heavy when the battery ends but very well engineered. Good buy.
Old 8 Aug 2020, 22:10 (Ref:3993889)   #2362
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I've got a really nice hand built 531 road bike, 10kg exactly . . . . the weight of the bike isn't an issue, its's the wight and ability of the rider!

TBH I don't enjoy riding on the road anymore, driving cars on them isn't much fun either. Scooters need weaving to avoid craters and sink holes . . . . must look like I'm ****ed most of the time!
Not vintage Zef, but certainly historic from the look of it, chain set, toe straps, tall frame, all very 50/60's i would have said.

Peter is quite right, a proper lightweight is a joy to ride, compared with even a shopping bike, let alone an MTB.
Old 8 Aug 2020, 22:45 (Ref:3993891)   #2363
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post

Peter is quite right, a proper lightweight is a joy to ride, compared with even a shopping bike, let alone an MTB.
No bike is “a joy to ride”. The ICE was invented for a reason. Jeez!
Old 9 Aug 2020, 01:52 (Ref:3993899)   #2364
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
No bike is “a joy to ride”. The ICE was invented for a reason. Jeez!
What a sad life you must have had.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 05:18 (Ref:3993915)   #2365
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
If we need to have scallops in our pants to be happy now…
Old 9 Aug 2020, 08:49 (Ref:3993936)   #2366
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Click image for larger version

Name:	fishing instead of racing b.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	3.72 MB
ID:	63437.Did someone say fishing. Me and Mrs Delta had a lovely evening on the Thames at Sonning last night. Should of been racing at Zolder but hey ho.I was fishing and she was drinking with her mate. .
Old 9 Aug 2020, 08:57 (Ref:3993937)   #2367
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No, a comfortable one.
I have ridden push bikes, as part of triathlon training a long tome ago, and still go to spin classes but i dont derive any pleasure from it.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 09:07 (Ref:3993938)   #2368
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Attachment 63437.Did someone say fishing. Me and Mrs Delta had a lovely evening on the Thames at Sonning last night. Should of been racing at Zolder but hey ho.I was fishing and she was drinking with her mate. .
She's forgiven you for buying the Bianchi then?

On the subject of cycling - I'm a late convert to the activity. I took it up at 61 at Iain's suggestion. I now love it and have covered nearly 5000km this year. The club to which I belong (Woking CC) has very strict rules about conduct on the road - it's a shame some other clubs don't. Woking's motto is "Velo et Gateaux"

Last edited by Alan Morgan; 9 Aug 2020 at 09:16.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 09:46 (Ref:3993943)   #2369
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Bauble, JS frame is mid 80's, my first proper road bike was a Peugeot from JOhn Spooner cylces in Worthing . . . . He also hand made frames. I picked it up on fleabay as a bare frame/forks and collected period Campagnolo parts for it.

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk...pooner-cb.html

I agree Peter an MTB on the road is a bit of a slog by comparisson.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 09:53 (Ref:3993944)   #2370
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
She's forgiven you for buying the Bianchi then?

On the subject of cycling - I'm a late convert to the activity. I took it up at 61 at Iain's suggestion. I now love it and have covered nearly 5000km this year. The club to which I belong (Woking CC) has very strict rules about conduct on the road - it's a shame some other clubs don't. Woking's motto is "Velo et Gateaux"

Yes I can get away with a collection of racing cars but as soon as a new bike arrives its full on interrogation.
You do realize I have told her I am Cirrus Cycles test rider.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 09:59 (Ref:3993945)   #2371
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bianchi from Cirrus Cycles.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	63438
Here she is. Just waiting for my special shoes to arrive before I can try her.
Mike would be well impressed.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 13:14 (Ref:3994012)   #2372
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
No, a comfortable one.
I have ridden push bikes, as part of triathlon training a long tome ago, and still go to spin classes but i dont derive any pleasure from it.
I am not surprised, anyone who refers to 'push bike' clearly has no soul.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 13:19 (Ref:3994018)   #2373
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Attachment 63438

Here she is. Just waiting for my special shoes to arrive before I can try her.

Mike would be well impressed.
Oh that's very nice.

Old 9 Aug 2020, 15:23 (Ref:3994154)   #2374
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is Max. I sold it with a heavy heart to help finance my new build. I took it out for its last ride in my ownership a couple of weeks ago. A lap of the Isle of Wight - 100km and 1500m of climbing and it performed faultlessly.

Iain's going to love it.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 15:35 (Ref:3994161)   #2375
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmm, I have a loong way to go to catch you lot. But with this covid thing and the need to keep active I've taken the plunge. I too need new shoes and cleated pedals but I took the straps off the current pedals so can ride it with my size 10 trainers. Not a purist's bike but a Boardman SLR 8.9c all carbon with Shimano 105 chainset. Will give it a run tomorrow morning.
Closed Thread