Alinco 0 0%
Other - let me know!! 7 16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7 Mar 2008, 02:07 (Ref:2146087)   #301
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We had an occasion at a track day where a couple of mates were mucking up, but every time we made the call over the radio to bring em in for a talking to, they would exit the track prior to seeing the black flag. This happened 4-5 times, until someone clicked and realised there must be a scanner in the cars. A quick message over the radio during a talk revealed their secrets.

Mick
Old 7 Mar 2008, 09:26 (Ref:2146214)   #302
Vanny
Rookie

United Kingdom
Coventry
Vanny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That marshals post website is really good, not come across it before but quite interesting if only to see what posts are called.
Old 7 Mar 2008, 18:28 (Ref:2146462)   #303
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.flag-marshal.org.uk/scanner.htm

try this
Old 7 Mar 2008, 19:21 (Ref:2146477)   #304
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I just remind everyone that Scanners are for listening to, not for acting on.

Some Chiefs have a problem with marshals using scanners, personally I don't as they can be very useful - provided that golden rule is remembered.

By all means get a scanner, listen to all the waffle that permutates the airwaves, be informed, but do not - EVER - act on something you hear, until it comes thru the official radio/phone link.

But don't care.
Old 7 Mar 2008, 20:04 (Ref:2146508)   #305
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had a "discussion" with my observers at Oulton Park last year. They were convinced that I'd put the red flag out from the scanner, I was adamant that I'd waited for it to come out at the next flag point - I was "quick" because I was ready and waiting, knowing the out flag could see the lights on the bridge. How both observers could see the turn of events when the two flag points are more than 180 degrees apart proved that they had made a bad assumption (which basically summed up their level of "observing" that weekend - but that's a different story). The accident was on the startline so there was no rush to get the flag out on my post - I was actually testing out my own reflexes.

After 18 years' flagging, I like to have the advantage of being prepared and know as well as anybody the importance of not acting on either the scanner or the race commentary (I've seen that happen). I object to anyone accusing me of "jumping the gun" - unless I have done, which is unlikely.

We all make mistakes and I'm not claiming to be perfect. If only I were!!!!!!
Old 7 Mar 2008, 20:19 (Ref:2146515)   #306
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepits!
Some Chiefs have a problem with marshals using scanners, personally I don't as they can be very useful - provided that golden rule is remembered.

By all means get a scanner, listen to all the waffle that permutates the airwaves, be informed, but do not - EVER - act on something you hear, until it comes thru the official radio/phone link.

Simon, I, like you, do not have a problem with any of the team using scanners - in fact in a long pit lane I positively encourage it, particularly for the person at pit entry and exit. Providing you trust the people in your team they can be, as you say, very useful.
Old 8 Mar 2008, 11:52 (Ref:2146835)   #307
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have had marshals try to use them on my post at hillclimbs...

I asked for them to be turned off...

If they have any questions about delays or any aspect of the meeting then they can ask me and if I know I will tell them or indeed if possible find out for them...

I dont see the need for them (in hillclimbs at least) and there is always the possibility of sensitive information being picked up and talked about within earshot of someone who really doesnt need to know....

I can see possibly a benefit for them on Rally's perhaps where distances between posts can be substantial and information is hard to come by but other than that I'm not too keen on them.
Old 8 Mar 2008, 16:57 (Ref:2146960)   #308
fazza
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wigan
fazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackx
I have had marshals try to use them on my post at hillclimbs...

I asked for them to be turned off...
I don't what to sound to contrivesial here but what right do you or any Post Chief have to tell a marshal to turn their scanner off?

There is no law against there use, as long as a marshal does NOT act on anything they hear there is nothing you can do.

As for information being overheard most marshals use ear pieces with the scanner so they would have to have them turned up mighty high for them to be overheard, and whats to stop Joe Public overhearing you telling the team whats going on.

Only my veiw everyone is entitle to their own veiw.
Old 8 Mar 2008, 17:45 (Ref:2146981)   #309
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
If they are your senior, then they have every right to request you not to use them. You are there to marshal and listening on a scanner is not a marshalling skill. Indeed, wearing one with an earpiece can even be a danger to you, if the lead gets caught on something whilst you are working. Unlikely, but possible.

So if the observer, chief marshal or club politely asks you not to use them, then I would suggest you do switch it off and put it away. Otherwise you might be asked to leave ........
Old 8 Mar 2008, 18:40 (Ref:2146996)   #310
AndyT
Racer

England
Peterborough
AndyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepits!
Can I just remind everyone that Scanners are for listening to, not for acting on.

You'll be alright this year, both me and Matt have now got them. (2 more to tell you that race control are calling you).
Old 8 Mar 2008, 18:43 (Ref:2146998)   #311
fazza
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tarrant
If they are your senior, then they have every right to request you not to use them. You are there to marshal and listening on a scanner is not a marshalling skill. ........
Listining to a scanner is not diferent to listening to anything else including Post Cheif. being able to preper your self tp respond to a potential incident or being aware of danger that may be aproaching you on the circuit is all part of being a marshal.

Quote:
Indeed, wearing one with an earpiece can even be a danger to you, if the lead gets caught on something whilst you are working. Unlikely, but possible. ........
Sorry this argument does not stand up as in motorsport everyone that works close to a running car wear headsets (Both ears covered) so a singe earpeice is less likley to reduce hearing or even get caught uo it would slip of the ear before getting tangled.

Quote:
So if the observer, chief marshal or club politely asks you not to use them, then I would suggest you do switch it off and put it away. Otherwise you might be asked to leave. ........
Then I for one would leave...you must remember that everyone is a volunteer.
Old 8 Mar 2008, 18:46 (Ref:2146999)   #312
Col_Rugby
Pancake Botherer
Racer

England
Rugby
Col_Rugby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just as a matter of interest.
Do many spectators use a scanner?
Last week I got told that the club I was marshaling for "scrambled/encrypted" their signal so scanners could not be used. Is this going to be common place? Is it used much now?

Col
Old 8 Mar 2008, 19:05 (Ref:2147009)   #313
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sensitive information?
We are talking here about motor SPORT not national security.
If a spectator hears that driver X is needed in Race Control beacause he's broken the rules, then let them hear.........they'll only read it in Autosport later.

If it's Medical information, this should not be done over the air anyway, but via a fixed line or mobile phone from the Doc/Para to RC.

As an Observer I have no problem with any of my team using them, and Marshals I have worked with thus far, use them in a responsible manner.

In reply to Fazza's question to BlackX
Quote:
what right do you or any Post Chief have to tell a marshal to turn their scanner off?
Perhaps no right at all......BUT we do have the right to request the removal of anyone on post who we feel is not behaving in an acceptable way.
I've never seen it done - although there's been a couple of times I've thought about it!!
Old 8 Mar 2008, 19:19 (Ref:2147014)   #314
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There have been times when I've been asked if I had a scanner to save the I/O or Post Chief having to come over and tell me whats going on as we were a fair ways off the post or even on the other side of the track! They would wave at me to make sure I had heard the situation!
Old 8 Mar 2008, 19:30 (Ref:2147017)   #315
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
Sensitive information?
We are talking here about motor SPORT not national security.
If a spectator hears that driver X is needed in Race Control beacause he's broken the rules, then let them hear.........they'll only read it in Autosport later.

If it's Medical information, this should not be done over the air anyway, but via a fixed line or mobile phone from the Doc/Para to RC.

That will be what is commonly know as Eutopia then

Not everywhere can use a fixed landline or mobile so the only way to communicate is via radio's...
Old 8 Mar 2008, 19:44 (Ref:2147023)   #316
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackx
That will be what is commonly know as Eutopia then

Not everywhere can use a fixed landline or mobile so the only way to communicate is via radio's...
In which case all marshals with scanners are asked NOT to pass anything heard on to the general public, as has been the case when I have marshalled anywhere there isnt a landline ie Anglesey. Not that there are too many spectators to worry about, but there are always relatives/friends especially in and around the pitlane!
Old 8 Mar 2008, 20:03 (Ref:2147029)   #317
Col_Rugby
Pancake Botherer
Racer

England
Rugby
Col_Rugby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[quote=C9/89]In which case all marshals with scanners are asked NOT to pass anything heard on to the general publicquote]

Which is in part my reason for asking if many spectators used them. I'm sure that if Joe was using one & heard "sensitive" information on the air then he'd turn to John & tell him, Joan overhears it & tells Jess & so on & so forth. So really there is a good case for fixed line or mobiles for the sensitive parts of broadcasting?

On the whole is the general concenus that they are a help or a hindrence?

Personally if I can use one I will but if I can't it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Col
Old 8 Mar 2008, 20:13 (Ref:2147037)   #318
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Im of the same opinion Col, not fussed one way or the other, just handy to keep in touch with whats going on but not vital to my days enjoyment.
Old 8 Mar 2008, 20:29 (Ref:2147043)   #319
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've had a scanner for couple of years now and it's the best piece of kit I've ever purchased. No end of times I've been stuck somewhere around a circuit with no idea as to what any particular delay maybe, or how long it may take to clear-up, but without disturbing Race Control (if I'm even able to, I may be the other side of the track from my Observer), I've been able to inform my fellow marshals that maybe we have time for a cup of coffee or even a run to the toilets.

Also, as a Flag Marshal, it can help to know what Race Control are talking about...ie; Black Flags, Rescue on Stand-By (heads-up for the Red Flag), leaking cars etc,etc.......

As has been stated (and as is stated by me at EVERY Post briefing), YES, I am using a scanner but it is for INFORMATION only and is NEVER to be acted upon.

So far, I have never come across an Observer/Post Chief/Corner Captain (insert chosen title here) that has had any problem with the above and actually....... I would have a problem with the first one that ever does.
Old 8 Mar 2008, 20:33 (Ref:2147047)   #320
fazza
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wigan
Quote:
In reply to Fazza's question to BlackX

Perhaps no right at all......BUT we do have the right to request the removal of anyone on post who we feel is not behaving in an acceptable way.
I've never seen it done - although there's been a couple of times I've thought about it!!
Mark, I have not problem with Post Cheifs asking for unacceptable behaviour to leave post and rightly so. but would you say that not switching of a scanner was unacceptable?? if you would I would be interested to know why?

refering back to the post I was responding to...I was only trying to make the point that asking someone to leave because thy refused to switch off a scanner is a little childish and I personnal would not feel right working under a post cheif with that attitude.
Old 8 Mar 2008, 20:42 (Ref:2147050)   #321
TFHarv
Racer

United Kingdom
Sheffield
TFHarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Buying a scanner?

Well there are a few threads on scanners and what frequencies are used and if they should be allowed or not but if you were considering buying your first scanner for use at race circuits which one would you buy and why?

I have looked at all the different types available and the prices start at £50+ and go up to a considerable amount more.

They seem to be the tool of radio hams and the guy at work has a few which he has shown me the smallest one being £200+ ( that's way too much btw ).

So hes told me i need to get one that tunes in in small steps and preferably digital with a keypad not an up/down switch but which one is suitable and which one is worth shelling out a bit of cash for?

Anyone got some good advice as to where to look and what to watch out for, or even recommend a model and shop in UK to buy from?
Old 8 Mar 2008, 21:20 (Ref:2147076)   #322
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazza
Mark........ would you say that not switching of a scanner was unacceptable??
No, of course not. That's my POV but there will be those who will say yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazza
refering back to the post I was responding to...I was only trying to make the point that asking someone to leave because thy refused to switch off a scanner is a little childish and I personnal would not feel right working under a post cheif with that attitude.
I agree!

I'll be checking scanners on my post tomorrow, and any that are bigger than mine will be confiscated!!
Old 8 Mar 2008, 21:29 (Ref:2147084)   #323
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Check out

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=maycom

This seems to be the most popular scanner on here by far!
Old 8 Mar 2008, 21:35 (Ref:2147089)   #324
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?...Menu=y&doy=8m3

maplin usually do a good choice.
i got mine from e bay...Uniden Bearcat.
never had a problem with it.
to get a moderate good scanner,you`ll be looking around the £50 mark.

When your on post,ask your fellow marshals what they use,that way you get a hands on look & listen to what they are using
Old 8 Mar 2008, 21:39 (Ref:2147091)   #325
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Quote:
I'll be checking scanners on my post tomorrow, and any that are bigger than mine will be confiscated!!
Scanner envy?