Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Oct 2022, 08:41 (Ref:4131270)   #1
Broadclystboy
Rookie

Broadclystboy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBroadclystboy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Question on current F1 circuits

Possibly been asked before.

Is there a reason why certain F1 circuits - COTA being a notable example - have the chequered flag / finish line several hundred metres behind the front start line?

At COTA this eliminates any chance of a last minute overtake leading up to the flag
Old 24 Oct 2022, 09:37 (Ref:4131281)   #2
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadclystboy View Post
Possibly been asked before.

Is there a reason why certain F1 circuits - COTA being a notable example - have the chequered flag / finish line several hundred metres behind the front start line?

At COTA this eliminates any chance of a last minute overtake leading up to the flag
I'm sure someone will be able to clarify - but I understand it is to do with where the control line is placed, and the fact that the control line also extends across the pit lane.

So it is the layout of the pit lane that determines how far down the start/finish straight that line is - with the line having to be located before the garages.
Old 24 Oct 2022, 09:39 (Ref:4131283)   #3
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Unless they put the finish line in the braking area of turn 1, it will not make any real difference, as I don't think we have ever seen a pass in the first half of that straight. (waits to be corrected on that claim)
Old 24 Oct 2022, 12:09 (Ref:4131296)   #4
Broadclystboy
Rookie

Broadclystboy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBroadclystboy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I'm sure someone will be able to clarify - but I understand it is to do with where the control line is placed, and the fact that the control line also extends across the pit lane.

So it is the layout of the pit lane that determines how far down the start/finish straight that line is - with the line having to be located before the garages.
Thanks crmalcolm. Sounds logical although I suppose they could have two control lines...
Old 24 Oct 2022, 17:28 (Ref:4131343)   #5
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/fi...delines_v2.pdf

Condensed: the control line and the start line can be the same, but the finish line is always the control line. The control line should have a photocell-based light or infrared beam all the way across it, without interruption, including in the pit lane. The control line must be clearly visible by the timekeepers (who are usually in line with it, but not always).

At Donington, the control line is more or less between garages 3 & 4; race control is directly above it with the timekeepers' room just before that.

Each circuit is different!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-10-24 at 18.19.32.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	387.2 KB
ID:	76368
Old 25 Oct 2022, 15:02 (Ref:4131419)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think I heard it's earlier at Monza to prevent the leader being a sitting duck on the run to the line due to the slipstream. I could be wrong though
Old 25 Oct 2022, 20:10 (Ref:4131443)   #7
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think I heard it's earlier at Monza to prevent the leader being a sitting duck on the run to the line due to the slipstream. I could be wrong though

A lot can happen between the last corner and the control line at Monza, this discussion immediately put me in mind of Martini and Fittipaldi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cciuTNyPyBE although even here there was no overtake
Old 3 Nov 2022, 16:17 (Ref:4132541)   #8
Broadclystboy
Rookie

A belated Ta to all who responded. I shall be watching with an eagle eye for forthcoming races