Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Sep 2003, 13:44 (Ref:730800)   #1
OllieDrivesFast
Rookie

OllieDrivesFast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exciting finale

Hello chaps.

I have been an avid reader of this forum for the past while, ever since being brought by the company to an event earlier in the year and becoming enthralled by the sport. I have never quite appreciated the excitement surrounding a race until I experienced it first hand.

I have decided to post a question here after months of procrastinating (mainly because of the inability to come up with an appropriate identity. I considered "The Cambridge Speedster", but thought it a little uncouth).

To the question, then. Is Formula 1 usually this exciting? I have heard from staff at the company that this year's championship is something of an oddity, that usually the races consist of a burst of activity at the start, then a routine dull procession for seventy or so laps, broken only by occasional stops for fuel.

Is this season so special? Will the competition revert to type next year? I hope not, as I have gotten a few of my old school chums interested in the sport and would hate to have egg on my face this coming season.

What, in your esteemed opinions, is the future of the sport?

Sincerely
Ollie
Old 26 Sep 2003, 13:53 (Ref:730804)   #2
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
1st welcome Ollie

with the new rules add this year F1 as spurng back into life but thats not the only reason we have some great new driver that have stepped up this year as well and IMHO the more car makers get into F1 the closer things will bunch up .
THis is a cracker year for sure and there are many more reason's why F1 is complex at best
Old 26 Sep 2003, 14:09 (Ref:730817)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome Olliedrivesfast.

Certainly the next years will be as exciting or more than this one. There are new rules introduced and although not all of them are appreciated, they brought back excitement.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 14:30 (Ref:730837)   #4
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Welcome Ollie!!

F1 champs are usually interesting especially with the new rulez.Last year was an exception. best part is after the races you can come on 10-10ths and discuss the race with informative aswell as humourous posts!
Old 26 Sep 2003, 14:34 (Ref:730841)   #5
OllieDrivesFast
Rookie

Thank you Mark and Banana.

I presume you are not the real Mark Webber? Do drivers ever post to this forum? That would be exciting.

Ollie
Old 26 Sep 2003, 14:44 (Ref:730848)   #6
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well I have a lap top in my R4

No I don't think so . BUT the wall's have ears
Old 26 Sep 2003, 15:01 (Ref:730873)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Welcome to the forum Ollie. There are some real racers from other championships who post here - we've got a particualrly large contingent of Touring Car drivers. And Justin Wilson supposedly reads our words on here (good luck big guy!).

As for the question at hand, 2002 was a one-off for boredom. Ferrari's eprformance was way ahead of everyone else's, and most of the races were processions fo the type you mention.

This year, the new rules, plus the icnreasingly competitive showings of Montoya, Raikkonen and Michelin have helped keep things close and exciting. Genuine rivalries have also developed. And there've been only a couple of lights-to-flag victories, only 2 1-2 finishes for a team, and no obvious team roders.

What will 2004 bring? More of the same, I think. Teams ahve started to work out how to sue the new qualifying system mroe effectively, which might remove some of the surprise results there, but the technical changes beign brought in will increase the focus on the driver, McLaren should have an innovative new car, and teams liek Jagaur, Toyota and BAR may egt closer to the top.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 15:26 (Ref:730907)   #8
paddywic
Rookie

paddywic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello Oliver? finding a forum with you in is a pleasure, I'm glad Monaco had such a profundis effectus. F1 this year has been such a great spectical, as it always is to be honest. Hope to catch up in Japan, Should be the best last throw for quite some time.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 16:29 (Ref:730967)   #9
OllieDrivesFast
Rookie

So Paddywic is what you're calling yourself these days?

I must extend heartfelt thanks for hosting us at the event in Monaco. The chaps had a wonderful time and the race was truly mirabile visu. You really have a splendid vessel. To think, if Father's company hadn't branched out to Northern Ireland we may never have had occasion to meet.

So who is your favourite to hoist the crown? Prima facie it seems Herr Schumacher has achieved the peak of performance, ne plus ultra, if you will. However, I find the rugged latin temperament of Senór Montoya quite invigorating, and perhaps feel his hunger could sway the odds, however all remains quod erat demonstrandum as you know.

If you are travelling to the event in Japan let's organise a bash, it would be terrific after the bonhomie of monte carlo. The chaps had a right old time.

Speaking of the chaps you really shouldn't go telling people every little tidbit of information you pick up, particularly in the form of ipse dixit. Justin would be in dire straits if his Father were to hear of your previous posting.

But I digress. This really is a fun place to exchange views and theories, isn't it? Thank you once again for suggesting our little trip and opening us up to the wonders of motor racing.

I remain yours

Ollie.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 16:37 (Ref:730974)   #10
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now where did i put my latin dictionary....
Old 26 Sep 2003, 16:43 (Ref:730980)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by OllieDrivesFast
So who is your favourite to hoist the crown? Prima facie it seems Herr Schumacher has achieved the peak of performance, ne plus ultra, if you will. However, I find the rugged latin temperament of Senór Montoya quite invigorating, and perhaps feel his hunger could sway the odds, however all remains quod erat demonstrandum as you know.

If you are travelling to the event in Japan let's organise a bash, it would be terrific after the bonhomie of monte carlo. The chaps had a right old time.
Why not use the "Private Messaging" system to arrange something in private away from the world's eyes.

The PM system is excellent it allows you to have private one to one conversations out of the way of the public disccusion forum.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 16:54 (Ref:730993)   #12
OllieDrivesFast
Rookie

Humblest apologies Adam, I am quite new to this technology. One of the staff has been explaining the operation of the system, however he did leave some things out apparently. I will have him whipped (a joke).

I will investigate the personal messaging system.

With thanks.
Ollie
Old 26 Sep 2003, 16:55 (Ref:730994)   #13
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
welcome Ollie !.....cracking season or what !

Simply becuuse weve got some real good driverscoming through , and the Old guy Schumacher slightly seems to be losing his touch ..hehehhe (sorry , flamebait )...ooops.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 17:56 (Ref:731095)   #14
paddywic
Rookie

paddywic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oliver, and Event controllers, sorry for the personal exchanges. Quite exiting to contact a buddy from the Monaco trip.
Oliver, I do feel Michael will win, no basis factum but more instigo! should be a good race in Japan if Renault do what we feel and win this weekend. See you at the paddock club old boy in a few weeks, I predict Juan to win in Japan, but Michael to take title, fancy a wager?
Old 26 Sep 2003, 18:00 (Ref:731105)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's quite alright paddywic, but please kep your private chat to the PM. It is only that is can get the thread off topic if it continues.

Anyway, I don't think that I have welcomed paddywic and Ollie to ten-tenths. Have fun!

Back ON TOPIC:

This year is in stark contrast with last year. However in some ways I don't think anything magical has changed in F1 this year. It is just that F1 is a sport and sometimes it can be boring and sometimes it can be rivetting. This year we hav a close set of numbers in the championship and one or two good races. Let's hope for another couple of good races to finish us off for the long winter break...
Old 27 Sep 2003, 03:09 (Ref:731519)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by OllieDrivesFast
Do drivers ever post to this forum? That would be exciting.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Webber

No I don't think so . BUT the wall's have ears
As far as i know there is one, but i'm not going to say who it is or what his username is
Old 27 Sep 2003, 09:36 (Ref:731616)   #17
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
actually there is 2 drivers that ive heard....low grid drivers i have to say ...
Old 27 Sep 2003, 09:41 (Ref:731618)   #18
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I know for sure that there are more than two drivers on the forum - some just read whilst at least two post under assumed names. And, no, I'm not gonna tell you who!!
Old 27 Sep 2003, 10:01 (Ref:731624)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2 F1 drivers, or just drivers overall?

Over on the Aussie V8 Supercar forum half the field seems to appear in one guise or another

Last edited by GTRMagic; 27 Sep 2003 at 10:02.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 27 Sep 2003, 10:07 (Ref:731628)   #20
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
F1 drivers. I've lost count how many drivers from all the various series there are - hundreds.
Old 27 Sep 2003, 11:35 (Ref:731661)   #21
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This season has definetly been the most exciting for a good while. I'm really looking forward to the last 2 races, and that is strange even for me.

I just don't trust them red cars though. They don't like to loose fairly.