Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 19 Jul 2008, 20:08 (Ref:2254077)   #1
rychard
Rookie

rychard has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
A2gp?

I found this quite interesting .....

A2 to launch soon? Written by sw Wednesday, 16 July 2008 At a press conference shortly before the Durban A1GP event Tony Teixeira spoke briefly about a proposed A2GP series.
It seems as though the series will be using the now obsolete Lola built cars in a detuned form and the series could be based right here in sunny South Africa where it would run as a 'summer series' to mirror the A1GP championship.
SAIL Sport and Entertainment is behind the launch of the new SA A1GP car next week and reading between the lines it will also be involved in the A2GP series. With SAIL involved in A2 it means that Selwyn Nathan would be back in the picture and maybe also a former major player in South African motorsport.
We've also learnt it will mirror the A1GP season and run as a 'summer series' which would set it apart from the existing Wesbank Super Series and Pro-Tour. Another hint to the format of the series comes from the A1GP Gauteng invite which carries a little logo for Gauteng Motorsport Company ..... could there be more for KZN Motorsport Company or Cape Motorsport Company or Free State Motorsport Company etc? We'll have to wait and see, but if I was a betting man, I'd be running to the bookies.

...... any one care to speculate further
Old 19 Jul 2008, 20:11 (Ref:2254082)   #2
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would it be a nations event like A1GP or something different? If it is all based in SA maybe they could get a fleet of cars and run it like the proposed F2 or FPA (would cut costs heavily).
Old 24 Jul 2008, 06:34 (Ref:2256976)   #3
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think A2GP is interesting for China, too.

Maybe they can have A2GP as a national series and the car(s) represent different cities/provinces of that country. Just like a national football league.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 09:35 (Ref:2257065)   #4
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa
I think A2GP is interesting for China, too.

Maybe they can have A2GP as a national series and the car(s) represent different cities/provinces of that country. Just like a national football league.
An interesting idea ASA and I'd strongly support it, but unfortunately I think the vast majority of people here are just very nationalistic and will only watch Chinese national teams and not provincial competitions. Nobody watches Chinese Super League football (although that's perhaps due to the perception that the match officials are corrupt) for example. What China really needs is a decent kart track in each major city and for a strong national kart competition that young drivers could develop their skills in. An A2GP competition would be a logical extension of that. Sadly it won't happen as the Chinese government are only interested in major events that show off China's emergence onto the world stage.

If it did happen what colours would the provinces race in?

Same goes for other countries like Pakistan I think. I don't see the point of an A1GP team with nothing below, but A2GP alone won't develop things, the kids need somewhere to start.

End of my rant!
Old 24 Jul 2008, 09:53 (Ref:2257078)   #5
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
If it did happen what colours would the provinces race in?
Just because A1GP is targeted as "Nation Against Nation" doesn't mean they'll position A2GP in the same way. It's possible they'll position it differently in different markets and make it about the driver rather than geographical region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Same goes for other countries like Pakistan I think. I don't see the point of an A1GP team with nothing below, but A2GP alone won't develop things, the kids need somewhere to start.
Could be that they are trying to force this from a "top-down" to give a national top level single seater class for up and coming racers and to use this to encourage countries to develop drivers.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 06:54 (Ref:2256982)   #6
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought I read somewhere that the A1GP company had no intention off selling the old cars off.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 07:17 (Ref:2256989)   #7
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97
Thought I read somewhere that the A1GP company had no intention off selling the old cars off.
Don't have to sell 'em to A2GP if it's the same company

It'll be interesting if they try to start a fan site on www.a2gpfanzone.com
Old 24 Jul 2008, 12:06 (Ref:2257146)   #8
META4
Veteran

META4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97
There was an info on Italiaracing this week saying that the "old" A1GP cars will be used in Euro3000 Series next season...

I would like to see this cars running instead of the Formula Renault V6 Asia , as they are very reliable . That could be a good step up for Asian Motorsport

Last edited by META4; 24 Jul 2008 at 12:08.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 12:23 (Ref:2257152)   #9
Lam Pak
Veteran

Lam Pak has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by META4
I would like to see this cars running instead of the Formula Renault V6 Asia , as they are very reliable . That could be a good step up for Asian Motorsport

formula renault v6 are going to be fisting by champ car panoz chassis or lola fnippon cars. no room for a1 gp cars. There will be an answer, let it be.

i really cant see a2gp really hapen.thats whisper words of hope. ferrari cars are expensive and second division countries dont have money to handle those cars, and they would spinning with the stars above. you couldnt lift them up in a wave of bills. a2 gp wont encourage people to teach new drivers.

i dont you know that its just you but have a championship as a national series and the car(s) represent different cities/provinces of that country was great. just like a national football league! shanghai, beijing, gungdong, macau and hong kong would enter for sure but the rest wont.im slightly off key but i like the innocent way that you imagine this. at sappy old movies you've seen hundreds of times the chinese motorsport is not ready to hold heavy leagues. chinese mainland drivers like formula geely, formula west , formula campus. all that trash series. good cars like old a1gp wont be sucessful in china.[/COLOR]