Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 12 Jun 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1326375)   #1
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
'Rossi: greater (pro-rata) than Schumacher.'

Those who were fortunate enough to desert their lives for TV again today may have seen another staggering MotoGP from Spain, where after the most furiously fought opening 5 laps I have ever witnessed, in front of 106,000 ostensibly Spanish fans, Rossi (Italian) beat Gibenau (Spanish) in the greatest final 3 lap's worth of 10th/10ths stuff you could ever believe - to win cleanly this time.
The Eurosport commentary team came up with this quote near the start, that Rossi was perhaps greater as a rider compared to his fantastic opposition, than Schumacher a driver in F1. It's a moot point, but I tell you, they have a point.
Come to that, I think currently MotoGP provides
better racing than F1
better pit girls than F1
better commentary teams than F1
more intensity and pure racing than F1
more knife edge oversteer than F1
etc etc ???
No one's knocking anything in this comparison but there are some interesting lessons both ways I think, and incredible race techniques to examin. If we have indeed been lucky to watch one of the greatest ever in Schumacher in F1 in recent seasons, so we are incredibly fortunate to witness Rossi at his zenith maybe.
No doubt in a few minutes time, we'll have a blinder of a F1GP from Montreal ... cups runneth over.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 15:26 (Ref:1326378)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was annoyed that the tyres made such a difference to the race (just for John that one! ).

It was an enjoyable win. I felt that Rossi always had it in control. A joy to watch. After the fun first few laps where he made sure he got into contention after a poor start he then sat there in second and let the race come to him. Then he turned it on when the time was right.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 15:31 (Ref:1326383)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
A very enjoyable race to watch. Not seen any bike racing at all for a couple of years but I could get back into it again very easily
Old 12 Jun 2005, 16:00 (Ref:1326410)   #4
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stunning coverage of both the IoM TT races and the Moto GP.
Surely a message to F1 that they need to get the aero off the cars, so that overtaking is achievable once more.
Rossi greater. I think so, even if it's just becuse he plays to the gallery.
Great job BBC - let's see how Montreal compares.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 20:22 (Ref:1326690)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quite favourably actually.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 14:53 (Ref:1327380)   #6
EGG
Racer

Australia
perth, aus
EGG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
MotoGP was ok(for MotoGP standards of course, which is better than F1)

But who else in aus screwed up taping the 250's/125's beacause of the way 10 did the programming?
Old 13 Jun 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1327389)   #7
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Moto GP IMO was a far better spectacle than F1 this weekend. The only thing that made F1 even reasonably interesting was trying to work out who was going to make it to the end of the race. IMO.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 17:01 (Ref:1328482)   #8
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
better commentary teams than F1
To be fair, with James Allen and Ted Kravitz, that ain't hard!
Old 14 Jun 2005, 19:01 (Ref:1328617)   #9
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink69
To be fair, with James Allen and Ted Kravitz, that ain't hard!
True, but then Brundle is very capable. IMO. But yes, I agree the Eurosport commentry team is 2nd to none.
Old 17 Jun 2005, 09:34 (Ref:1331369)   #10
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Getting back to this topic, YESSS Rossi IS greater than Schumacher. Just look at what Rossi has done for motor racing, how popular it has become. Look at what Schumacher has done for F1. He has ruined Ferrari's reputation (they've become very boring) and he has made it become common to have a team mate that plays 2nd fiddle .

I would have liked to see Rossi competing against the likes of Schwantz, Rainey, Doohan & Gardner and Schumacher against Lauda, Prost, Senna & Mansell (in the turbo years).
Old 22 Jun 2005, 04:59 (Ref:1336758)   #11
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
I would have liked to see Rossi competing against the likes of Schwantz, Rainey, Doohan & Gardner and Schumacher against Lauda, Prost, Senna & Mansell (in the turbo years).
my gripe with Schuey is the ugliness of the obvious chopping and "I didn't see him" sort of thing. It is precisely this that will always in my mind take away from his evident well rounded talents-pure speed, strategic thinking, team motivator etc etc.

As an ex-biker, again, its the barginess that rubs the wrong way. Time warp him back to the 60s, 70s or early 80s and while he probably would have been just a good, he wouldn't have been able to get away with thesame baloney. As for Rossi in any era, I believe the fellows seat of the pants talent would have had him on top anytime.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 08:06 (Ref:1336849)   #12
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am absolutely hooked on Motogp now, it's been a gradual process of being turned off F1 and being absorbed by Motogp. To be honest I really don't care if Alonso or Kimi wins the title.. Rossi is a great champion but I think it is time for him to move to Suzuki!
Old 23 Jun 2005, 16:09 (Ref:1338450)   #13
D_Marshall
Racer

Sudan
North West, England
D_Marshall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always been an F1 fan and always will be but i can't disagree with any of the comments made in the opening post of this thread. I do believe that Rossi is one of the greatest if not the greatest person to dominate a sport in such a way.

Last season i watched a handful of Moto GP races when i fell upon them but this year i am looking for them like i do for the F1. Its awsome stuff.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 21:29 (Ref:1348256)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rossi is just a great champion. He dominates the sport even more crushingly than Schumacher, yet he never fails to entertain or make you smile.

I think he's the greatest sportsperson I've seen in my short life. Even greater than Eric Cantona, whom I worshipped.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 22:03 (Ref:1348287)   #15
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Moto GP has a few things that F1 doesn't have:

Overtaking

Close Racing (sometimes too close for comfort!)

Personalities

I've been privileged enough to be a pit marshal at both MotoGP and F1 and I have to say that the Moto GP people are by far more friendly and sociable.

Personally I think I'd like to see Rossi and Schumacher in a head to head racing different bikes and cars round a non-championship circuit. I believe Rossi would win.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 21:46 (Ref:1354145)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I believe Moto GP will only ever fully take off when we lose this "it's better than F1" chip. It is it's own wonderful thing - let it have it's own space and grow. Ignore the shadow of F1, Schumacher and such irrelevant distractions.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1354907)   #17
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
… have to disagree with that Adam. As evil as comparisons are, if F1 is a high tech entertainment, then MotoGP is the competitor package in the market place.

While we’re on the subject, I’d rather not print this in the Formula One board, but the show I went to see for 2 out of the 3 days at Silverstone was aweful, save perhaps the F1 race cars themselves. The centre paddock area was empty all weekend, you had to have passes to take a close look at the Maserati, Porsche and GP2 cars (so couldn’t - can you believe it, forbidden to look closely at the support race cars and teams - don't the sponsors want it), there was NO atmosphere, the Red Arrows we’ve all seen 50 times. It did not ‘compare’ to Goodwood whatsoever, and the programme just does not engage you at all.

Compare that to a few years back, you had great support races and most pass holders could get to the cars and drivers at least and get caught up in the excitement; there was RACING going on. Wow, there’s a relevation. I think I heard a sidebar in Bernie’s interview complaining of no atmosphere. Absolutely bang on.

Actually, returning to the original thread, I think the really interesting debate is that we are treated to some fantastic World Champions around at the moment – Roger Federer, Lance Armstrong, Rossi Schumacher included. So if the F1 show isn’t ‘amazing’ by comparison, something’s wrong IMHO. It bloody well should be.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 23:36 (Ref:1373493)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
To pick up on a small irrelevant point: The Red Arrows were spot on and the conditions perfect for them. The previous weekend I had only seen a partial high altitude display as they had to keep low due to cloud cover. At Silverstone it was good to see them have all the space they needed. The conditions were perfect. For instance the heart stayed around long enough to be completed.

As for the F1 stuff. Yes and know. I enjoyed Silverstone and I only had a general admission. The cars did it for me, but you are generally right about most things you say. I'd perhaps disagree on degree though.

As for the point I made about the chip. I just find it disapointing how a justification for people at various events seems to be "this is better than F1" not a simple "this is great". If you see what I mean.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 05:45 (Ref:1388905)   #19
SkaifeHRT
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Victoria Australia
SkaifeHRT has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I find it easier to watch Rossi dominate a race than to watch Schumacher do the same, because when Rossi does it you know it's mainly because he's simply better than anyone else out there, rather than because of the equipment.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 11:28 (Ref:1395427)   #20
orrmate
Rookie

United Nations
Leeds, Yorkshire, England
orrmate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I believe Moto GP will only ever fully take off when we lose this "it's better than F1" chip. It is it's own wonderful thing - let it have it's own space and grow. Ignore the shadow of F1, Schumacher and such irrelevant distractions.
Agreed, they are both different, and shouldn't be compared to each other. MotoGP is the pinnacle of two wheels, and F1 is the pinnacle of four wheels. Simple as that.