Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Who is Australia's top "non-professional" driver?
Sam Abay 0 0%
Ryan Brown 1 1.64%
Greg Crick 4 6.56%
Mort Fitzgerald 0 0%
Scott Fleming 3 4.92%
Shane Hart 2 3.28%
Bruce Heinrich 4 6.56%
Paul Kemal 11 18.03%
Tobia Kipper 7 11.48%
David Krause 0 0%
Tim Macrow 1 1.64%
John Martin 0 0%
Warren McIlveen 1 1.64%
Ben Morley 3 4.92%
Nick Parker 3 4.92%
Nick Percat 2 3.28%
Jack Perkins 4 6.56%
Shane Price 5 8.20%
Adam Proctor 1 1.64%
Daniel Reinhardt 0 0%
David Reynolds 8 13.11%
Tony Ricciardello 6 9.84%
Kane Rose 0 0%
David Russell 0 0%
Luke Searle 3 4.92%
James Small 1 1.64%
Cameron Van Dendungen 1 1.64%
Ray Vandersee 1 1.64%
Kerry Wade 1 1.64%
Wayne Wakefield 2 3.28%
David Wall 2 3.28%
Mathew Wall 1 1.64%
Ash Walsh 2 3.28%
Stephen White 3 4.92%
Luke Youlden 9 14.75%
Marcus Zukanovic 4 6.56%
TBA 3 4.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 Dec 2006, 02:39 (Ref:1795350)   #26
GT3 Cup
Rookie

GT3 Cup should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Reynolds
Old 20 Dec 2006, 03:01 (Ref:1795359)   #27
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ken Douglas was a bloody quick steerer back in the proddies days, I wonder how quick he would be in an SBR Ford?? And indeed where his LHD Ford Sierra Cosworth (that was on the cover of Motor magazine) ended up
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 20 Dec 2006, 03:04 (Ref:1795363)   #28
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peddler
Using the term lightly... "Non" professional driver for the sake of comparison only. I am meaning drivers who are either not being paid to drive OR any other driver outside either V8Supertaxies or Carrera Cup or GTP.
I'd be curious to know why you include GTP there as there is nobody in that category I'd class as professional, the majority of drivers are self-funded privateers. Several Carrera Cup drivers would fall into the non-professional class, and a few Fujitsu drivers as well.

I'm not convinced by Ricciardello as every car other than the Super-Alfa he has failed to impress. He has no looked convincingly better than Jose Fernandez and was replaced at DJR for under performing, or at least Warren Luff was instantly a big improvement in the same car.

Kramer: if your are going to mention Adam Proctor, than you'd have to seriously consider Shane Hart who but for a mechanical would have beaten him to the FVee crown this year. He's controversial because he's got a mouth, but he bloody quick.

I'd say David Reynolds based on 2006 form, the fact that he will become a professional driver next year underlines the point. Other than Reynolds, I think Luke Youlden would be top of my list. Tim Macrow probably needs to be mentioned. John Martin. Greg Crick. Paul Stubber. I like Simon Phillips a lot. Ashley Walsh is fast but maybe needs a little more maturing. Ash Lowe and Dave Barram here in Queensland as well as Hart and maybe John Campbell. It's hard to rate Luke Searle as his opposition is not strong. Dean Herridge may qualify, he has to beg for his racing at the moment, if not then the recently retired Stewart Reid deserves a mention. Bruce Heinrich, Kris Walton and Jake Camilleri from Saloon Cars. Sports Sedans is hard to rate because Ricciardello is so strong in the field, but the car is worth more and better prepared than a third of the V8Supercar field. Maybe Daniel Tamasi although like Walsh is a little rough around the edges. Neil McFadyen is quick when he appears. Darrell Hodges from Speedway. Most of the good Sprintcars guys I'd class professional though, and the talent pool in WSS falls away sharply.

Warren McIlveen is a must for the list though. There are so very very good drivers in Superkarting, and yet McIlveen, always has the slightest edge on them with no equipment advantage. He is a serious freak and bravery like you would not believe in a category already requiring more cojones than most. Sam Zavaglia and Robert Oakley from Stockmans Superkart. Oakley races rarely these days but plugs in remarkably quickly. John Pellicano, Carlo Chermaz, Anton Stevens can run at the pointy end and Gerard Siebert is up there when the Kart runs at all.

1. David Reynolds
2. Luke Youlden
3. Warren McIlveen
4. David Wall
5. John Martin
6. Shane Hart
7. Adam Proctor
8. Marcus Zukanovic
9. Tim Macrow
10. Greg Crick

There are so many...

Last edited by Falcadore; 20 Dec 2006 at 03:06.
Old 20 Dec 2006, 03:43 (Ref:1795379)   #29
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Peddler has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hence the reason we now want the list to represent those not racing in the main V8Supercar series Falcadore. I shouldn’t have included GTP...

My notes so far regarding the list…

Having seen Warren McIlveen race on a few occasions I have to agree, the man has some serious gonads as do a few others in the Superkart series. There rarely is a driver challenging him this includes Sam Zavaglia who is the rudest prick I have ever met at a racetrack in my life. Serious case of little-man syndrome there I am afraid! The series would be better of without him.

Ricciardello has never really impressed me to be honest, the sports sedan series isn’t a real clear comparison given that I see it as a race to see who’s engineers have the most money to spend rather than driver talent “my opinion only”

Paul Kemal has been mentioned a few times and being a mate of Paul’s I would also have to agree. His efforts last year in some racers were brilliant... I still can not get over one of the races at Bathurst which has to be some of the best racing I have ever seen. Did I hear someone say Carrera Cup??? Wasn’t me!

Wayne Wakefield is someone who I believe has talent but outside the yesteryears of Wayne ripping it up with his 808 wagon, I can not seem to recall any other successes, correct me if I am wrong.

So this looks list looks like getting some legs which I think is great. I also know of a motoring journalist who is keeping a close eye on this thread and may be interested in publishing the results.

So far… in no particular order as yet and as detailed by You guys not just me.

Paul Kemal
Wayne Wakefield
David Reynolds
Luke Youlden
Warren McIlveen
David Wall
John Martin
Shane Hart
Adam Proctor
Marcus Zukanovic
Tim Macrow
Greg Crick

Last edited by Peddler; 20 Dec 2006 at 03:52.

Go the Datto!!!
Old 20 Dec 2006, 03:50 (Ref:1795381)   #30
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Are you putting an age restriction on this? Greg Crick is on the wrong side of 50 now....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 20 Dec 2006, 05:24 (Ref:1795411)   #31
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My money would be on :-

Tobia Kipper - from 7th to win at Oran Park with 3 laps to go!
Paul Kemal - 28th to 2nd at Bathurst! (just get him mad, he goes faster!!)
Nick Percat - last to the win at INDY.... stunning!

each for stunning drives during the year at different "driver" circuits!

I do hear that given the chance, Kemal would happily place said Cup Car on Pole at the Clipsal 500 event

have a look at this for driving!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyEKYWF6ruI
Old 20 Dec 2006, 06:38 (Ref:1795436)   #32
deano2
Racer

deano2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no age restriction if your good enough you should be able to be on the list.....i thought youlden and reynolds would be classified as pros?
Old 20 Dec 2006, 06:59 (Ref:1795447)   #33
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
David Russell...?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 20 Dec 2006, 07:27 (Ref:1795461)   #34
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony Ricciardello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
I'm not convinced by Ricciardello as every car other than the Super-Alfa he has failed to impress. He has no looked convincingly better than Jose Fernandez and was replaced at DJR for under performing, or at least Warren Luff was instantly a big improvement in the same car.

... Sports Sedans is hard to rate because Ricciardello is so strong in the field, but the car is worth more and better prepared than a third of the V8Supercar field. ...
Not quite as some others see it - Tony did have a win in the DJR development car as I remember - was his father/former racer/mentor Basil very unimpressed with what DJR was offering? (Is that a reflection of your claim about the preparation of the Alfa versus DJR).

Regardless of the DJR term, I am at a loss to explain why Team Ricciardello bothered with the 'Britek barge' in 06 - if performance were a criteria for the main game, Brighty would have a one car team in 07 & Fujitsu would be advertising in any other sport you might care to dream up.
Old 20 Dec 2006, 07:44 (Ref:1795467)   #35
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
I'll echo the nominations for Luke Searle and Marcus Zukanovic.

Also throwing in Paul Stokell

Everywhere I go you manage to say something ridiculous-- Stokell. For one-- he gets paid --for 2 where did he race this year?
Old 20 Dec 2006, 08:06 (Ref:1795474)   #36
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 3
Everywhere I go you manage to say something ridiculous--
Thats the pot calling the kettle black isn't it.

Have another look, we are talking outside the 5 litre main series.
Old 20 Dec 2006, 08:06 (Ref:1795475)   #37
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
Not quite as some others see it - Tony did have a win in the DJR development car as I remember - was his father/former racer/mentor Basil very unimpressed with what DJR was offering? (Is that a reflection of your claim about the preparation of the Alfa versus DJR).

Regardless of the DJR term, I am at a loss to explain why Team Ricciardello bothered with the 'Britek barge' in 06 - if performance were a criteria for the main game, Brighty would have a one car team in 07 & Fujitsu would be advertising in any other sport you might care to dream up.
Nope never had a win. Best result was a pair of thirds first time out for DJR at Wakefield Park. It gave him second for the round, but this was the year that Mark Winterbottom smeared all in the #41 SBR AU. What followed was 21st at Adelaide. 11th at Eastern Creek (R3 DNF). 23rd at Phillip Island (R1 DNF and never recovered) 27th at Winton with only one race finish. Ended up racing for John Faulkner in the enduros. Luffy Jr replaced him for Mallala and was 4th for the Round and 2nd in the same car at the Bathurst race, leading to the team hiring Luff for the main game. While the Ricciardello's may not have been impressed with what they got from DJR, Luffy was instantly an improvement.

The V8 comment? Have a look at the bottom third of the field for points in terms of franchise numbers - Britek, BJR, PCR, Morris/Kiwi, Rod Nash, Tasman, second cars from SCAR & GRM thats 13, more than a third and no DJR.
Old 20 Dec 2006, 08:13 (Ref:1795481)   #38
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Thats the pot calling the kettle black isn't it.

Have another look, we are talking outside the 5 litre main series.
Silver has a point, Stokell's always been a paid professional since he made his comeback. If you include Stokell then Jim Richards is all but eligible. And Simon Evans. Brooke Tatnell. Craig Baird.

I'm fairly sure guys like these were not intended to be eligible.
Old 20 Dec 2006, 09:15 (Ref:1795531)   #39
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mort Fitzgerald
Kane Rose
Sam Abay
Cameron Van Dendugen

Rex Broadbent

Last edited by GROUPA; 20 Dec 2006 at 09:19.
Old 20 Dec 2006, 09:22 (Ref:1795539)   #40
gydafud
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
gydafud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont know if any of you guys have heard of a kid called Nick Parker from Victoria, who raced in Commodore Cup this year?

I saw him at Phillip Island this year in the WET, pass 27 cars in 13 laps in two races from the rear & he was lapping up to 3 seconds faster than Marcus Zukanovic who is no slouch in the wet either.

I have never seen anybody else (except maybe Jim Richards) drive like that in the wet, it was a totally exceptional display, this kid has got unlimited talent.

Put him on your list.
Old 20 Dec 2006, 09:26 (Ref:1795541)   #41
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
is that you Nick, welcome to the site
Old 20 Dec 2006, 09:39 (Ref:1795556)   #42
gydafud
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
Thanks for the welcome peckstar but sorry wrong person
Old 20 Dec 2006, 09:49 (Ref:1795567)   #43
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i was just amused by your first post being someone new and intriguing

releative?
Old 20 Dec 2006, 11:05 (Ref:1795623)   #44
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neil Crompton
Old 20 Dec 2006, 11:33 (Ref:1795650)   #45
deano2
Racer

deano2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
stokell would have to be classified as a pros....russell would get a start though
Old 20 Dec 2006, 12:03 (Ref:1795681)   #46
gydafud
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
i was just amused by your first post being someone new and intriguing

releative?
Been watching the site for a number of years just never bothered to post anything until this thread sparked my interest.

I just thought that there are a lot of kids out there with loads of ability but dont get the recognition or the opportunities they should do and this kid is one of them.

I even went down and congratulated him personally which i have never done before, much to his surprise and he's a nice kid to boot.
Old 20 Dec 2006, 12:08 (Ref:1795686)   #47
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reynolds,Russell,Percat, Kipper, and so many more to many to list.
Old 20 Dec 2006, 12:35 (Ref:1795709)   #48
Nivola
Racer

Nivola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got two very very underrated drives

Tony Ricciardello. Why u ask? I may know him well and I know what that boy can do. Britek was a barge (should of gone overseas instead!) and its amazing that some people think, they know better then a guy that can actually race and funds his own drives.

What Tony has done in the alfetta is nothing compared to what he single handly achieved in the malaysia 12hour race last year. This was the best I have seen him drive and he was faster then some ex super gt drivers. I could go on about it but some would not think about it. (Lotus GT2 exige)

The second is Kerry Wade. This guy is blindingly fast. His first race in WA was in a hq and he banged it on pole!!!! He has speed that few will ever have and can drive around problems like only a few I have seen. The last few years in the Kim Ledger RX7 have showed as the talent that he has in the west. Give him a crack in anything worthy and he will make them look sick.
Old 20 Dec 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1795732)   #49
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally agree with you there Nivola, Kerry Wade is an exceptional driver.
Put him in anything descent and he will kick A**.
Old 20 Dec 2006, 13:33 (Ref:1795753)   #50
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This list is long as like everyone has said, there are just so many drivers out there who "could have" "would have" in the world of motorsport. Some have missed out, and some are yet to reach their prime.

There is a driver by the name of Daniel Reinhardt who competed in Victorian FFord during 2002 against the likes of: Tim Macrow, Bryce Washington, Tony D'Alberto, David Reynolds, Michael Trimble, Glen Hastings and Matthew Wall during the year and beat them several times. Always ran up the front, but never had the $$ factor to do anything further. Jumped back into Vees this year and despite missing the first round, finished second in the championship and was always up the front. Keeps his nose clean, and in my opinion can steer.

So that is just another driver to the list of the "could have's" "would have's".

But best "non-professional" driver at the moment... Ill probably jump on the Reynolds bandwagon. Certainly has done well this year and capped his season off perfectly.