Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Aug 2007, 22:20 (Ref:1998784)   #1
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whispers, allegations and rumours - Victorian Circuit Motor Business!!

The Victorian motor-business rumour mill is certainly at fever pitch at the moment, with many layers of uncertainty concerning sporting venues.

I’m not sure if I should start with the sublime and end with the ridiculous, or simply mix them up a bit, either way here are some of the current chestnuts doing the rounds in this fine State.

Please read all in isolation, unless suggested otherwise.
  1. The State Government has agreed to provide funding to a proposed “World class” drag racing facility (think WSID) to be built near Avalon Airport on the Princes highway, between Melbourne and Geelong. This facility will allegedly spell the end of motor sport at the artist formerly know as Calder Park. (see point 2 for more about the name change)

2. Calder park is now being run by a new entity (those with long memories will remember this name) The Australia Motorsports Club (AMC).

3. A recent phone caller to a motor-business sanctioning body in the inner eastern suburbs asked about “motor racing events at Calder”; only to be allegedly told, “No Calder Park has closed down”.

4. Same caller allegedly is of the employ of aforementioned State Government; Sandown will cease all motor-business operations by mid 2009 (read fin year).

5. Aforementioned Government departments are apparently “in the know” about point 4, and upon hearing information garnered in point 3 have actively sought out those involved with point 2.

6. The circuit known as Calder Park has allegedly been successful in securing a government grant of $9 million for works & infrastructure improvements.

7. Previously announced proposed “F1” track near Geelong is not associated with the proposed Drag Strip noted in point 1.

8. CAMS recent advertisement of expressions of interest in running the 2008 GTP (or whatever it’s called this week) championship have allegedly caught the eye of some within the AASA ranks. Fresh from a recent non-hostile takeover of the AMRS, this association has both the experience and resources in place to run this series quite successfully.

9. The proposed Drag Strip has apparently hedged its Bettes on securing an extremely experienced operations manager for the premises. (could he be lured back home to Melbourne ?)

10. And now the best of the lot: The Melbourne Racing Club is in negotiations with the Australian Motorsports Club to contract out the administration and operations of motor-business at Sandown.
    It is alleged that internal feasibility studies conducted by the MRC see no value in trying to run a class of business they have no knowledge of.
    A formal, joint MRC / AMC (Calder) announcement regarding future operations of motor-business at Sandown is expected before years end.
Well there it is, I realise there is a lot to ponder, but having been a busy Uncle over the past 4 or 5 weeks, I’m happy to hang my hat on almost all of it.

Some keen observers will be aware of a glacial melt happening, even as I type.

For the benefit of the SPORT we all love lets hope it continues, and all concerned can drink from the fountain of peace.
Old 28 Aug 2007, 22:48 (Ref:1998798)   #2
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shoot!!!! Now that's something to talk about and watch!!!
Old 29 Aug 2007, 06:01 (Ref:1998927)   #3
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Few bits of old news there, but a few more new ones!
Old 29 Aug 2007, 10:57 (Ref:1999084)   #4
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Complex

#7 Previously announced proposed “F1” track near Geelong is not associated with the proposed Drag Strip noted in point 1.

Interesting....I thought the cartel proposing the Geelong/Laverton Motorsport Complex included a world class dragstrip in their deal.

Last edited by 275 GTB-4; 29 Aug 2007 at 11:00.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 21:12 (Ref:1999556)   #5
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
#7 Previously announced proposed “F1” track near Geelong is not associated with the proposed Drag Strip noted in point 1.

Interesting....I thought the cartel proposing the Geelong/Laverton Motorsport Complex included a world class dragstrip in their deal.

The Geelong Mafia were not reported as being interested in Drag racing. Bada-bing !

Considering some 'traditional' Drag Racing links, especially with fresh produce it is possibly a bit surprising. But no not linked.

Old 29 Aug 2007, 22:28 (Ref:1999633)   #6
Venom XR
Racer

Australia
Venom XR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love a drag racing venue close to home, save the long trips to Heathcote!
Old 30 Aug 2007, 00:02 (Ref:1999712)   #7
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does this mean Sandown will soon have the mouth watering array of fantastic events that have enlivened Calder for the last decade?GREAT NEWS! (note Sarcasm).As for anyone or anything associated with AMRS being given category management rights by CAMS the phrase when hell freezes over might have been invented for the likelihood of this happening.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 01:19 (Ref:1999734)   #8
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
Matthew Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52
Does this mean Sandown will soon have the mouth watering array of fantastic events that have enlivened Calder for the last decade?GREAT NEWS! (note Sarcasm).As for anyone or anything associated with AMRS being given category management rights by CAMS the phrase when hell freezes over might have been invented for the likelihood of this happening.

well the pointy tailed man might want to get hold of his long johns, with news that the new CAMS CEO made a trip up to Winton to visit the AASA President. However I think it is a case of the boots on the other foot now days as the East Malvern ship sinks a little further each day.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 01:21 (Ref:1999735)   #9
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To possibly mix things up a little, one of the latest items going around on the vine is that a Sandown event could possibly move to Calder.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 02:46 (Ref:1999776)   #10
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52
Alan you seem to overlook the fact that many(all?) of the people you descibe are also actually Cams members-- and if what you said was correct that other interest disqualifies them from exerting any rights that follow from their Cams membership. How could that be so?
Secondly-- are you that naive to believe that Cams will not deal with the biggest pile of cash on offer? I am not suggesting that any of the aforementioned people or groups would be the highest bidder-- but Cams is not about the best bidder-- it is about the biggest$-- and forget the competitors in the process.
Thirdly -- what might have happened at Calder (BTW-- it was 2000 since V8's were at Calder-- not 10 years) does not disqualify it from having a future. In the interests of all motorsport I want Calder to survive and go forward-- easy to critisize-- a lot harder to try and contribute to that process.
Last- entrenched opinions and constantly reciting yesterdays issues does not help in trying to move forward-- so much is going to change over the next 3 years it is time to think a little laterally and be part of it.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 11:27 (Ref:1999968)   #11
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting all of this!
Old 31 Aug 2007, 01:28 (Ref:2000539)   #12
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia

Interesting development regarding point # 6, and potentially refuting point # 1.

Asphalt resurfacing machinery is now on the premises, with a proposed starting date as soon as next Monday.

I might have to go to the Street Drags to-nite to investigate;

Maaaaate
Old 31 Aug 2007, 03:17 (Ref:2000574)   #13
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cranker
Interesting development regarding point # 6, and potentially refuting point # 1.

Asphalt resurfacing machinery is now on the premises, with a proposed starting date as soon as next Monday.

Maaaaate
THere was something else ytou for got in 6, which is the circuit racing track returning to the old format with the drag strip on the inside, the straight being the current pitlane, and re-instateing the old Gloweave.
Not sure where the pits go, because th old ones are too small

BTW I think the current resurfacing is for the Padock near the Cafe, not he track. But I have been wrong before.
Old 31 Aug 2007, 07:36 (Ref:2000643)   #14
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cranker

Maaaaate
Street Drags cancelled due to the weather heading towards Melbourne tonight but seeing I was out there this arvo I can tell you that the "Auscar"** paddock area has been prep'd for a new layer of bitumen on Monday.

The new flat track Race Control & timing box looks good and should be ready for use at the AMRS in a few short weeks.

** for those not aware the paddock area near the servo at Calder is known as the NASCAR Paddock while the paddock area near the canteen is called the Auscar paddock as this is where the respective classes were based during Thunderdome events.
Old 31 Aug 2007, 07:55 (Ref:2000659)   #15
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rumour 9 to add to Uncle's list.

Contributor to 3AW Rumour File this morning made the following statement as Rumour as fact (in other words 100% true);

"Sandown track to be bulldozed after the 500 to make room for another horse track"

Similar rumour went to air a few weeks ago as well possibly from the same uninformed person.

Mind you if the above was true the VHRA will be in for a shock when they turn up for the historic meeting in October

(PVDA disclaimer, in light of previous thread on here on Sandown's future and information supplied to said thread by MRC I think the above rumour is a load of bull tish)

Perhaps the MRC should look seriously into Sandown becoming a motorsport track full time cos at least race cars don't catch the flu
Old 31 Aug 2007, 09:12 (Ref:2000702)   #16
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a real 3AW listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA

Contributor to 3AW Rumour File this morning made the following statement as Rumour as fact (in other words 100% true);

"Sandown track to be bulldozed after the 500 to make room for another horse track"

Similar rumour went to air a few weeks ago as well possibly from the same uninformed person.

Mind you if the above was true the VHRA will be in for a shock when they turn up for the historic meeting in October

(PVDA disclaimer, in light of previous thread on here on Sandown's future and information supplied to said thread by MRC I think the above rumour is a load of bull tish)

Perhaps the MRC should look seriously into Sandown becoming a motorsport track full time cos at least race cars don't catch the flu
Even the sense of humour rings of Ross Stevenson !!!
Old 31 Aug 2007, 09:26 (Ref:2000708)   #17
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA} seeing I was out there this arvo I can tell you that the "[I
Auscar[/I]"** paddock area has been prep'd for a new layer of bitumen on Monday.

** for those not aware the paddock area near the servo at Calder is known as the NASCAR Paddock while the paddock area near the canteen is called the Auscar paddock as this is where the respective classes were based during Thunderdome events.
Those of us who don't do roundy roundy called them the Nascar and the old paddock, cause it predated Auscar by just a little bit.
Sandown does all right from driver ed days, they don't even need race events... bit like Calder in that respect, Thunderdome does fine, pays for itself 10 times over
Old 31 Aug 2007, 09:28 (Ref:2000711)   #18
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Bullett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Do you mean VHRR PVDA? The VHRR have a multi year deal for the historics at Sandown with MRC
Old 31 Aug 2007, 11:23 (Ref:2000778)   #19
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Unless, of course, you happen to be an F1 car running at Indy and your tyres are made by Michelin.
Old 3 Sep 2007, 00:57 (Ref:2002188)   #20
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso Swift
THere was something else ytou for got in 6, which is the circuit racing track returning to the old format with the drag strip on the inside, the straight being the current pitlane, and re-instateing the old Gloweave.
Not sure where the pits go, because th old ones are too small

BTW I think the current resurfacing is for the Padock near the Cafe, not he track. But I have been wrong before.
From a guy who regularly goes to the off street drags I was told the "return road" aka old pit straight was supposed to be resurfaced by the end of Sept. Mind you confidence levels in the info weren't high because it is not the first time things have supposed to have been fixed out there
Old 3 Sep 2007, 00:59 (Ref:2002190)   #21
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Quote:

Add to the already large amount of bull tish they have at Sandown.

From what I have been told the only works that would be taking place would be changes to the paddock-resurface and drainage, the area at the rear of the garages, some possible track resurfacing and so on. Items which Davo didn't want to spend on as he would not see any immediate return on the investment.
Old 3 Sep 2007, 13:13 (Ref:2002585)   #22
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is any of this alleged expenditure by Mr Jane going to have any impact at AIR? Not Victorian Circuit Motor Business, as per the topic title, but still related....
Old 4 Sep 2007, 01:46 (Ref:2003197)   #23
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Regarding point 6, have a read of M-news page 6 today....

Remember you read it first at Cranker Central.
Old 4 Sep 2007, 05:10 (Ref:2003231)   #24
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullett
Do you mean VHRR PVDA? The VHRR have a multi year deal for the historics at Sandown with MRC
Damn, got my circuit racing and rallying mixed up
Old 4 Sep 2007, 12:40 (Ref:2003538)   #25
BFC
Racer

BFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and for all those on here that know me i was released from my place of abode for the last 6 1/2 weeks at 16.45 hours today........I'M BBBAAAAAAAAACCCCCKKKKKKK111111111