Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Nov 2000, 14:15 (Ref:49633)   #1
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

With all the talent stacking up in the 'third driver' slot, there's clearly a lot of people out to impress in the hope of pulling off a Panis style resurrection of their careers.
For example Wurz, Zonta and Gene have all gone for test driver at a top team to try and find a race seat for next year.
Then you've got people like Tomas Scheckter and Mark Webber who are new to the formula but want a seat too. Even Luca Badoer hasn't given up hope of a race seat.

The problem is that barring a mass exodus of drivers, there simply won't be enough seats to go round, and most people are going to miss out. So who do you think will win the race on the testing groud to impress the team bosses, and where will they end up??
Old 24 Nov 2000, 11:57 (Ref:49730)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zonta has confidence that when Trulli is recalled to Benetton, EJ will move him up to the Big Leagues - and he is confident that he can prove he belongs there, and I believe it when he is in a sympathetic atmosphere and with the improved Jordan package next year.

I would also bet that Marc Gene will impress in a very fast car with a heavy testing schedule, and will get the next seat available on a midfield team (I am betting perhaps Sauber or even Arrows.)

Don't know enough about the others but will be watching them closely over the next year. More closely than bothering with the two boring teams at the front.

Old 24 Nov 2000, 12:10 (Ref:49733)   #3
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Jeanburrasca81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with you, Liz,
Marc Gene will impress us all and probably get a midfield seat for 2002. But who knows, if he doesn't impress that much he gets a top-team seat! Who knows.....
And to you, MichaelC, there were always not enough seats in F-1, but it's for that the team-managers should give a chance to the most talented, not the one with the biggest sponsor.....I know I'm getting melancholic. There was a time it was that way. So why don't give it a try and give Luca Badoer a chance. On a Minardi he showed to be quicker even than Gene (ok, in Gene's 1st year, but anyway), and on a Ferrari he did a great job too. So why don't give him the 2nd Prost-seat?
Old 24 Nov 2000, 13:13 (Ref:49743)   #4
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I secomd your opinion Jean, I think most of times in those midfield teams, the sponsor can decide who drives, rather than the skills. Some of the current test-drivers should have a seat in two years, but always is all up to the money they can bring to the team.
Old 24 Nov 2000, 14:56 (Ref:49755)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
actually the way its shaping up the test drivers should be able to put on a decent race by themselves..gene will do well at williams i think and i believe weber will shine at benetton as if he hasnt already (he bettered fisichellas times in his first test
Mazzacane is going for the arrows test driver role..which should give him much needed experience (not as much as regular ride but some at least)

i say stuff the 12 team rule and bring back heaps of teams just like in 88-92..they were the best days when the best cars and drivers made the grid for the race ..but as in 89 nearly 40 drivers had a chance to do so.

Zonta ..jury still out i feel..will need to do something very special to get back in after his disaster at BAR..but if will power has anything to do with things liz already has him as a 6 times champion
Old 24 Nov 2000, 17:35 (Ref:49763)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am nothing if not tenacious.

And I agree - let them all get out there and try to make the grid! And bring back big fat slick tires and turbos while you are at it.

Or put them in Palmer Audis and may the best man win.
Old 24 Nov 2000, 19:59 (Ref:49777)   #7
Wiki
Racer

Wiki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wurz might do a Panis and thrive at McLaren - chances of a race seat there are slim but he could be snapped up by another of the better teams
Old 25 Nov 2000, 17:56 (Ref:49875)   #8
LYM
Racer

LYM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ever heard of Andre Lotterer? He is set to test drive for Jaguar next year.

Anyone please tell me more about the young german. Thks. driver.
Old 25 Nov 2000, 19:30 (Ref:49881)   #9
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LYM,

Andre Lotterer is one of this year's German F3 Championship stars, driving for the Red Bull-spondored Bertram Schafer Racing team. In his rookie season he finished fourth overall. Last season he won the German ADAC BMW Formel Junior Meisterschaft, taking 15 victories (14 lights to flag) and 9 pole positions in 18 races.

Anyone would think the German market was important to Jaguar...