Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 31 Oct 2007, 07:18 (Ref:2055589)   #1
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Important sponsor for IRL in 2008!

http://italiaracing.net/notizia.asp?id=16974&cat=3

Curious that it may seem, Italiaracing reports an important hint about the expected press conference of today, about an important series sponsor for 2008.

Should it be confirmed that' would be a great success!

And two more are expected by the end of this year...
Old 31 Oct 2007, 08:14 (Ref:2055619)   #2
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
An official motor oil from Peak is the word according to Curt Cavin
Old 31 Oct 2007, 12:37 (Ref:2055834)   #3
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If that's all it amounts to, colour me underwhelmed.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 1 Nov 2007, 00:36 (Ref:2056463)   #4
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sponsor are always a great addition to a racing series, (especially AOW in 2007) and this is no different. But as you say Paul, considering the hype about this Oct 31 announcement it seems to be a little misplaced.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 01:31 (Ref:2056487)   #5
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Well, it is not exactly The Next Big Thing, but it is a big step for the folks at Peak as they are moving into the automotive lubricant market. At least (according to the press release) there will be advertising tie-ins with Advance Auto Parts to go along with the TV ads. At least this is a case where the sponsor is going to actively utilize the racing aspect (and D Patrick) to advertise their product.

It is a big step over what I see from Roshfrans...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 05:45 (Ref:2056544)   #6
D.R.T.
Veteran

Interesting comparison, John.

Personally I dont see too much difference between official oil suppliers, you know being equally pessimistic and all.

As has been said, sponsors are sponsors and the more the better but as Paul put it, this isnt the slam dunk many were predicting.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 09:45 (Ref:2056658)   #7
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
No, I am not saying that the sport is saved as a result of this - just that it is good to see a sponsor with a program that utilizes the cars, the drivers and the venues of the series it is sponsoring.

Using the McDonalds sponsorship at NHR, I have never, ever seen a single promo that includes the team, the car, the driver or anything related. Same for Roshfrans - heck, Pep Boys/Advance doesn't carry any of their products.

If Peak wants to make the IRL part of their campaign to launch a new product that is a good thing.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 14:48 (Ref:2056966)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
John's correct, as a sponsorship of the IRL it's nothing different, but if Peak do turn around and activate the sponsorship, that'll be an improvement.

Still, Terry Angstadt needs to learn the virtue of silence.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 2 Nov 2007, 00:42 (Ref:2057354)   #9
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
From what I have read, the plan is to go out and "activate the sponsorship." Of course, the proof is in the pudding.

As far as Angstadt, this is a positive for Peak and the Series so why not let him go on a bit...
Old 2 Nov 2007, 06:12 (Ref:2057444)   #10
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
As far as Angstadt, this is a positive for Peak and the Series so why not let him go on a bit...
A positive no doubt, but the build up compared to the announcement delivered is the concern.
Old 2 Nov 2007, 11:54 (Ref:2057645)   #11
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Some people will be negative on anything to do with IRL John, it’s sad but I wouldn’t worry about it

Of course it’s positive for the series, there is nothing else that it is apart from positive
Old 3 Nov 2007, 00:41 (Ref:2058331)   #12
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
If the worst thing you can say about something is that the marketing guy for the IRL is over exuberant...but I agree - it is a positive.
Old 3 Nov 2007, 01:21 (Ref:2058349)   #13
boom boom
Racer

boom boom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes it is a positive, and yes some people will make a negative out of any positive annoucement for IRL or CC. But over hypeing anything right now is not bright. I like both series and I am tired of hearing a major announcement is coming, or a merger, or a possible series sponsor(that only ends up being a the official flatware of american open wheel). I have had so many let downs from both American Open wheel series that it gets so tiring and the only thing keeping me from saying forget that I am going watch nascar now, is that I watched Nascar in the 80's and 90's and got tired of it, and it isnt the racing for me. Open Wheel Racing is for me. And I am so tired of Series Owners and Team Owners droping the ball in both series. At least F1 is around, it isn't perfect but its always there and no false promises, like over here.
It is a Positive and I hope it works out but I feel sometimes when they overplay a new annoucnment, it might be the final straw that pushes a fan away for good. I hope it works well. I miss racing if you can tell (hope spring comes soon)
Old 4 Nov 2007, 01:16 (Ref:2058988)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

Thankyou boom boom for understanding what Paul and I were saying and not getting overly defensive like others.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 07:29 (Ref:2059837)   #15
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMHO a series sponsor is more important than it can appear; Let's not forget that one of the first signs of trouble for the other side of AOWR was when Indy Lights failed finding one.
Apart from providing motor oil, their prime support is funding the purse, lets' not forget it...
Old 6 Nov 2007, 01:36 (Ref:2060770)   #16
D.R.T.
Veteran

No one is undervaluing the importance of sponsors. What the discussion is about making out that this was going to be a massive deal eg title sponsorship and then being left deflated by what was announced.