Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Nov 2012, 06:07 (Ref:3164374)   #26
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
I'm interested in that SBR comment,

it was a bit unclear. so i will answer both.

They will have no support from ford next year

or they will have more support from Erebus next year than they have from Ford this year
I was assuming that SBR will have less financial support from Erebus than they have from Ford now.........my impression of the SBR/Erebus deal is that it is only in place because SBR can't find a supportive manufacturer, as is the case of most others.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 06:19 (Ref:3164376)   #27
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
I was assuming that SBR will have less financial support from Erebus than they have from Ford now.........my impression of the SBR/Erebus deal is that it is only in place because SBR can't find a supportive manufacturer, as is the case of most others.
everything i read suggests its a succession plan. $20 million over 3 years, much more than the Ford deal ($2 million per year)

Mercedes adds star power to V8 Supercars
Old 9 Nov 2012, 06:24 (Ref:3164379)   #28
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
why would we stop them

do other sports do this?
Some minor sport known as Formula One used to have a rule that for a car manufacturer to be naming rights sponsor for a GP they had to be involved as an engine supplier or constructor.

The Mitsubishi sponsorship of the '85 Australian Grand Prix caused some angst at the time as it broke the FOCA rules.

But a company should retain the choice of how they spend their sponsorship dollars.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 06:28 (Ref:3164380)   #29
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
everything i read suggests its a succession plan. $20 million over 3 years, much more than the Ford deal ($2 million per year)

Mercedes adds star power to V8 Supercars
Well if that's true it's much better and should bring results........why doesn't the Giz commit to that?
Old 9 Nov 2012, 06:43 (Ref:3164387)   #30
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well if that's true it's much better and should bring results........why doesn't the Giz commit to that?
At this point it is only hearsay and internet chat that he hasn't
Old 9 Nov 2012, 07:24 (Ref:3164397)   #31
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I dont know why, maybe the same as Why Casey is not taking 15 mill to race at Honda next year.

He has this Ford link and maybe he wants to keep it,

But as sizzle said, its just rumour at the moment
Old 9 Nov 2012, 09:40 (Ref:3164440)   #32
ivision
Rookie

ivision should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of their current sponsors who informed me of the Jim Beam exodus said they were approached as a title sponsor but DJR were asking for an excessive amount of cash up front for signage per car before even before discussing the details on the sponsorship package. They however will be increasing their support to the team.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 10:24 (Ref:3164453)   #33
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Perhaps because FPR/Schwerkolt are offering him a bigger pay packet than his current contract at SBR?
Old 9 Nov 2012, 11:28 (Ref:3164472)   #34
kittle
Veteran

kittle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivision View Post
One of their current sponsors who informed me of the Jim Beam exodus said they were approached as a title sponsor but DJR were asking for an excessive amount of cash up front for signage per car before even before discussing the details on the sponsorship package. They however will be increasing their support to the team.
And which sponsor is increasing there support.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 12:48 (Ref:3164509)   #35
ivision
Rookie

ivision should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle View Post
And which sponsor is increasing there support.
Wurth
Old 9 Nov 2012, 18:49 (Ref:3164634)   #36
douglasjames671
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
douglasjames671 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddouglasjames671 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DJ . . . . you screwed the pooch!!

Sorry Dick, but having "idolised" you as a kid, you have now become a bitter, cranky old man, who believes more in himself and his son's apparent ability, than is justified.
The man responsible for getting Jim Beam onside, Steve Chalker, was unceremoniously dumped, as was the white knight, Charlie Schwerkolt.
Blind Freddy could see that you have had people bend over backwards for years to help you, and the team, get to, or remain at, the front of Touring Car Racing in this country, however your ability to show humility towards them is sadly lacking.
For the future, who knows, but Dick, if you stay involved, then it will be a financial disaster . . . step back, get Steven out of the seat, and let somebody else steer the ship out of troubled waters.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 21:46 (Ref:3164731)   #37
kittle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivision View Post
Wurth
And i am guessing only a single car deal
Old 9 Nov 2012, 23:22 (Ref:3164764)   #38
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder what the deal was with the 4 COTF chassis ordered/purchased? A couple seem surplus to requirements now.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 23:31 (Ref:3164769)   #39
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
I wonder what the deal was with the 4 COTF chassis ordered/purchased? A couple seem surplus to requirements now.
I think the press release/Speedcafe story was interesting for the context of what was said

If you take the words on face value, Beam Global decided not to continue with sponsorship of the team on the basis of less than optimal conversion of eyeballs to purchase intent & achievement.. and also mentions CotF...

That said, using the brand to cover a customer car that has not really troubled the teev makers, other than when he is involved in some kind of incident, cant be too helpful in achieving fresh brand awareness..

... and it makes you wonder perhaps that a team with 888-built hardware currently, hot rodded by the DJR squad in engines and some chassis tune, chooses its CotF car partner as not 888, whether that was something that set off some noise in the sponsor about the sensibility of renewal?

The question of course is whether 888 would actually build a team a Ford bodied CotF, based on their sponsorship & technical relationship with Holden, however if the team's choice not to choose 888 was made on cost grounds not technical ones... then maybe the sponsor is more plugged into the sport than perhaps first thought...

Any chance Jim Beam could appear at Chasports?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 10 Nov 2012, 02:13 (Ref:3164809)   #40
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasjames671 View Post
Sorry Dick, but having "idolised" you as a kid, you have now become a bitter, cranky old man, who believes more in himself and his son's apparent ability, than is justified.
The man responsible for getting Jim Beam onside, Steve Chalker, was unceremoniously dumped, as was the white knight, Charlie Schwerkolt.
Blind Freddy could see that you have had people bend over backwards for years to help you, and the team, get to, or remain at, the front of Touring Car Racing in this country, however your ability to show humility towards them is sadly lacking.
For the future, who knows, but Dick, if you stay involved, then it will be a financial disaster . . . step back, get Steven out of the seat, and let somebody else steer the ship out of troubled waters.
Well said. As a long time supporter who saved up for a Dick Johnson's Team Australia membership back in the day, it is so sad to watch. There is a certain point where you cease to get the benefit of the doubt when business deals with longtime supporters and friends go south. I know he is your son, but Steven Johnson is just not good enough to have a fulltime gig. If you want a family project together, get a production car. If you want a viable V8 team, get another professional driver and some business assistance to keep the team afloat
Old 10 Nov 2012, 04:02 (Ref:3164829)   #41
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Junior Johnson might not be a championship winner, but he's still ahead of the rest of the team in the championship. If he's not deserving of a seat, none of them are.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 02:11 (Ref:3165055)   #42
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HProject View Post
Junior Johnson might not be a championship winner, but he's still ahead of the rest of the team in the championship. If he's not deserving of a seat, none of them are.
How about 2010?

The frustrating thing as a DJR supporter is, had those previous drivers had a better teammate, they probably would have had better results, and as a side effect of that, more sponsorship dollars from ford.

Will Davison and James Courtney come to mind.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 21:52 (Ref:3165635)   #43
kittle
Veteran

Quote:
Looks like thay Mr Maurie Pickering could come on board as a sponsor/part owner to help this team.
And i think my prediction is coming true.

DJR commits to Ford, announces new structure

http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/11/13/...mmits-to-ford/
Old 13 Nov 2012, 03:30 (Ref:3165745)   #44
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maurie Pickering also raced the ex- BarryWraith/Wayne Park VK Group A Commodore in the ATCC in the early '90s.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 03:59 (Ref:3165751)   #45
kittle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
Maurie Pickering also raced the ex- BarryWraith/Wayne Park VK Group A Commodore in the ATCC in the early '90s.
The ex Gold Coast Bulletin car
Old 13 Nov 2012, 04:18 (Ref:3165753)   #46
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Quote:
And i think my prediction is coming true.

DJR commits to Ford, announces new structure

http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/11/13/...mmits-to-ford/
Something about moving deckchairs around on 'Titanic' comes to mind.

I note that Dick has retained majority ownership, but there's 3 on the board of directors. How is that going to work if it comes to say, Dick (majority share holder) disagrees with a decsion of the other 2/3rds of the directors?
Old 13 Nov 2012, 04:21 (Ref:3165754)   #47
kittle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos WTF View Post
Something about moving deckchairs around on 'Titanic' comes to mind.

I note that Dick has retained majority ownership, but there's 3 on the board of directors. How is that going to work if it comes to say, Dick (majority share holder) disagrees with a decsion of the other 2/3rds of the directors?
Then i am guessing will have a similar Charlie Schwerkolt kind of scenario.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 04:57 (Ref:3165757)   #48
kittle
Veteran

Fox sports has further info of the DJR ownership structure.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sp...-1226515993972

Last edited by kittle; 13 Nov 2012 at 05:06.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 05:22 (Ref:3165760)   #49
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One thing that got mentioned is a Development team. I think Maurie Pikering has helped out Josh Hunter a bit in the Kuhmo Series. It would be good to get him a gig in the Dev Series. I think the kid has real talent. Saw him drive through the field like a knife through butter twice at Mallala.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 09:47 (Ref:3165809)   #50
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell View Post
One thing that got mentioned is a Development team. I think Maurie Pikering has helped out Josh Hunter a bit in the Kuhmo Series. It would be good to get him a gig in the Dev Series. I think the kid has real talent. Saw him drive through the field like a knife through butter twice at Mallala.
I thought DJR had said earlier in the year that all 5 of the chassis they prepare had been sold?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods