Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Nov 2012, 01:05 (Ref:3171464)   #51
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcey View Post
old tyres are free and old conveyer belt rubber is very cheap and sometimes free....and the three tracks down south are club/owned run so you would think they would be more likely to have access to club volunteers to help.
I couldn't agree more. But that is common sense, and common sense doesn't prevail like it used to!
Old 26 Nov 2012, 01:33 (Ref:3171470)   #52
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
I started off watching the races....but found myself drifting back to watch the Aussie cricket.
Maybe they need some more cars,or a shorter sprint race?.
11 weeks and all your wishes are answered, more cars and back to sprint races. Looking forward to it.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 01:47 (Ref:3171473)   #53
Bill Brown
Racer

Bill Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
because they are low category rated circuits they have minimal safety requirements thrust on the operators....
this is where common sense comes into play as far as extra work being carried out...
but i guess the dollars will always intervene.....
old tyres are free and old conveyer belt rubber is very cheap and sometimes free....and the three tracks down south are club/owned run so you would think they would be more likely to have access to club volunteers to help.
What Planet are you guys on?

All 3 South Island circuits are licenced to F.I.A. catogory 3 they are also inspected annually by MSNZ track inspectors and usually tri-annually by an International F.I.A. Track inspector.

If you want to know what the F.I.A. requirement is get a manual and read it.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 02:26 (Ref:3171480)   #54
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bill my answer is Earth I don't know if I think all the people on this site are but Bill the FIA say below

"The type of track protection recommended is dependent on
the available space and the likely impact angle. As a general
principle, where the probable impact angle is low, a continuous,
smooth, vertical barrier is preferable, and where the probable
impact angle is high a system of deceleration (e.g. gravel bed)
and stopping (e.g. tyre barrier) devices should be used, it being
indispensable to provide for sufficient space at such points in the
planning stage. The FIA can provide advice on the above, after
examination of the proposed layout in each case."

So with the Angle that J Mac was going off should there not be a Sand Trap that provides the slowing down, on to the Tyre wall quickly looking up the tyre walls I found below

2.1 Safety Barrier
A device designed to absorb the kinetic energy of
a racing car, during an impact, in a controlled
manner in order to reduce the potential for injury.

The barrier shall be positioned free standing*

This means not covered with dirt and unable to move unless the track has approval in the track Dossier which is not available to the general public. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong but some valid and cheap methods are being discussed here to correct a problem and I'm sure no-one likes seeing a driver injured but the injuries are what normally force rethinks and getting it better for future events.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 02:33 (Ref:3171481)   #55
nistfan
Racer

New Zealand
nistfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure who Mark Van Gisbergen is, but lets hope hes just as quick as Shane.

Interesting story from Yesterdays papers

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=10849816
Old 26 Nov 2012, 02:36 (Ref:3171483)   #56
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Brown View Post
What Planet are you guys on?

All 3 South Island circuits are licenced to F.I.A. catogory 3 they are also inspected annually by MSNZ track inspectors and usually tri-annually by an International F.I.A. Track inspector.

If you want to know what the F.I.A. requirement is get a manual and read it.
Bill,i think the point we are trying to make is that just because the minimum track rules says that is all thats required do we do the minimum and then shut the blinkers......
i mean you dont have to wear knee and arm pads to skateboard but they do provide extra protection....
any skilled/knowledgeable driver could walk any track in NZ and identify areas of concern....
there is so much EXTRA protection that could be laid on at little or no cost..
Old 26 Nov 2012, 03:03 (Ref:3171488)   #57
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingduck View Post
Bill my answer is Earth I don't know if I think all the people on this site are but Bill the FIA say below...
I'm not sure what the first bit means, but I was just reading the same thing, and I agree with your take on this.

Bill, with respect I think you're being a little disingenuous. Hampton Downs is Grade 3 as well; where would you feel safer at 200kph plus, there or Timaru?
Old 26 Nov 2012, 03:28 (Ref:3171489)   #58
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It doesn't say much for the regulations if they can be interpreted that loosely. I am frankly amazed at the attitude that says, "Well, it complies with the minimum standard, so it's just hard luck if anyone gets hurt," which is the inference I get.

It's actually legal to wear shorts and jandals while riding a motorbike on the road, just as long as you wear a helmet. But it's also pretty bl**dy stupid.

The fact that a driver has been injured in an area of the track that those involved are saying is dangerous, then to turn around and accuse those people of dreaming if they think it's going to change harks back to the days when the only safety was a couple of haybales and drivers would lose their lives every year.

Safety standards have come a long, long way since the "good old days" and just because something used to be adequate then doesn't mean it is now, compliant or not.

I know that in general industry the message they are trying to get across is that safety comes first (eliminate, isolate, minimize) and that nobody should be put at risk. Whilst it is impossible to eliminate risk with racing, and difficult to isolate it, there is a whole lot that can be done to minimize it, and it doesn't even need to cost very much.

That is what the posters are saying, so climb off your high horse and take a look at the message from those that use the facility. I suspect you won't see ST's there again until it is addressed properly.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 03:31 (Ref:3171490)   #59
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Why the picking on south island tracks? Puke... Manfeild...
Old 26 Nov 2012, 03:41 (Ref:3171493)   #60
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Also can any one confirm the reason for points docking for the M3 team?
'Interpretation'
Old 26 Nov 2012, 03:45 (Ref:3171496)   #61
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
Because I don't think anyone would argue if someone pointed out one of the numerous issues with Puke...
Old 26 Nov 2012, 03:46 (Ref:3171497)   #62
Bill Brown
Racer

Quote:
Bill,i think the point we are trying to make is that just because the minimum track rules says that is all thats required do we do the minimum and then shut the blinkers......
i mean you dont have to wear knee and arm pads to skateboard but they do provide extra protection....
any skilled/knowledgeable driver could walk any track in NZ and identify areas of concern....
there is so much EXTRA protection that could be laid on at little or no cost..
Cotton Wool is good!
Old 26 Nov 2012, 03:48 (Ref:3171498)   #63
Bill Brown
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
I'm not sure what the first bit means, but I was just reading the same thing, and I agree with your take on this.

Bill, with respect I think you're being a little disingenuous. Hampton Downs is Grade 3 as well; where would you feel safer at 200kph plus, there or Timaru?
Are you suggesting that MSNZ is using double standards for its inspections?
Old 26 Nov 2012, 03:53 (Ref:3171500)   #64
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Puke is getting redone what's the issues at manfield?
Old 26 Nov 2012, 03:55 (Ref:3171501)   #65
harcey
Racer

Quote:
Cotton Wool is good!
seriously Bill.......thats the sort of comment you would expect from a "back in my day" circuit administrater and sort of says it all really...
Old 26 Nov 2012, 04:08 (Ref:3171504)   #66
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
'Interpretation'
Wasn't that Bill Clinton's defence?
Old 26 Nov 2012, 04:20 (Ref:3171506)   #67
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
It's no different from the tracks being called dangerous.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 04:49 (Ref:3171511)   #68
nistfan
Racer

New Zealand
nistfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Cotton Wool is good!
Is that Standard Issue for a number of MSNZ issues over the past few years?
Old 26 Nov 2012, 04:53 (Ref:3171512)   #69
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Why did my post disappear?

Manfeild has the same sort if barriers and traps as the others. Lots of placed you go off there and hit hard things
Old 26 Nov 2012, 04:59 (Ref:3171515)   #70
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
Wasn't that Bill Clinton's defence?
No, he actually said "Sack my cook and hold my calls"

Some people just don't listen!
Old 26 Nov 2012, 05:07 (Ref:3171517)   #71
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hahaha Mark van Gisbergen....typo- of the year!

And anyway, isn't SVG not allowed to race in anything remotely similar until 2014?

Dont get me wrong, i'd love to see him in a ST.

I think Rev has a point regarding the other tracks as well. I mean lets face it there are only two decent tracks in NZ, Taupo (underused) and Hammies. Puke will be much better one hopes with the $$ being pumped in. And for Manfield, that track is old but i still think its quite safe isn't it? Colin Corkery walked away from his 160kph crash coming onto the home straight.

But remember Manfield MUST be getting better otherwise they would not have changed the name of T7 from Dunlop to 'Pepsi Max'!!!!

Makes you think though, in a country the size of NZ we don't have it too bad when compared to some countries. That article in the herald stated that we had 8 and in Korea there will be only 3.

Add the that the Nelson and Cromwell tracks......makes the mind boggle.

But i guess this is the reason why, on a global scale, NZ does produce winners. Look at Mitch (x2), Hayden, Brendon, Dixon etc etc etc and thats not even the start.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 05:18 (Ref:3171519)   #72
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Considering many on here first spectated when it was considered OK for the crowd to be behind a rope and that a couple of hay bales shielding a lampost was acceptable, things have moved on! Equally, in car safety and speeds have also moved on.

A few years back, JM's accident could well have meant serious injury (or worse) and if track safety hadn't been improved, maybe spectator injuries too, though I missed whereabouts it was on a track I am unfamiliar with.

It appears there is a conflict now between absolute safety (impoossible) and spectator appeal. I would never bother going to some of the overseas tracks, as the spectator is so divorced from the racing, (read, miles away and/or stuck in a cage) that you may as well watch it on TV or read about it.

I believe the current thinking is that gravel traps don't really work anyway (Radisich at Bathhurst?) so quite why the original soft sand traps aren't used I am not too sure. (Increased roll overs?).

Building a large tarseal run off is the favoured method, (where there is space) but if the brakes fail at 250kph, then the end result isn't going to be pretty, regardless.

Maybe the question that needs to be asked is "Are modern racing cars now just too fast for the tracks?"

Incidentally, I thought Hampton Downs was built as a level 2 track? Even so, it hasn't stopped cars going over the barrier at turn 1 nor the current turn 4 (first hairpin).
Old 26 Nov 2012, 05:19 (Ref:3171520)   #73
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Are you suggesting that MSNZ is using double standards for its inspections?
Goodness me, how did you come up with that?

My point is that if Timaru is FIA Grade 3 and considered safe, Grade 3 leaves a bit to be desired, don't you think? The real issue has been spelt out clearly by other posters so I don't think I need to go over it again.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 06:17 (Ref:3171526)   #74
harcey
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Considering many on here first spectated when it was considered OK for the crowd to be behind a rope and that a couple of hay bales shielding a lampost was acceptable, things have moved on! Equally, in car safety and speeds have also moved on.

A few years back, JM's accident could well have meant serious injury (or worse) and if track safety hadn't been improved, maybe spectator injuries too, though I missed whereabouts it was on a track I am unfamiliar with.

It appears there is a conflict now between absolute safety (impoossible) and spectator appeal. I would never bother going to some of the overseas tracks, as the spectator is so divorced from the racing, (read, miles away and/or stuck in a cage) that you may as well watch it on TV or read about it.

I believe the current thinking is that gravel traps don't really work anyway (Radisich at Bathhurst?) so quite why the original soft sand traps aren't used I am not too sure. (Increased roll overs?).

Building a large tarseal run off is the favoured method, (where there is space) but if the brakes fail at 250kph, then the end result isn't going to be pretty, regardless.

Maybe the question that needs to be asked is "Are modern racing cars now just too fast for the tracks?"

Incidentally, I thought Hampton Downs was built as a level 2 track? Even so, it hasn't stopped cars going over the barrier at turn 1 nor the current turn 4 (first hairpin).
surely the thing here is..............'ok we have passed our license test/inspection'a bunch of mnz guys with clipboards(and i wont elaborate on that..............now what do "we" see and what can "we" do to extra improve our facility and how do "we" perceive some of the serious accidents "we" have had and what would "we" want improved if it was "us" that had the smouldering wreck in the trailer...
theres a lot of motorsport administrators out there with minimal race experience themselves but reasonable levels of "clerk' skill......
Old 26 Nov 2012, 06:26 (Ref:3171529)   #75
Club racer
Racer

Club racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

You are quite right - safety should be paramount at all and there are failings at many. It's great that NZ has so many tracks that people can race on, but it doesn't mean they are as good as they could be when it comes to certain corners that could have the safety factor increased dramatically for little or no money.

This is not directed at you Rev but as a driver I'm utterly dismayed at Bill's point. He's missing ours. His comment is utterly unreal and I believe totally, 100% unacceptable. Who cares WHAT the minimum requirement is. It takes big accidents or incidents to provide the momentum for change in motorsport. More often than not a death. That corner at Ruapuna could be made MUCH safer EASILY and very COST EFFECTIVELY. The evidence for that was clear and unequivocal in John's crash. It is a speciifc 50 metre stretch on that corner where to be honest, if you go off like John did, you're in the hands of the gods. There are other places at other tracks for sure that could be improved very easily.

Is Bill saying that New Zealand drivers are only entitled to the bare minimum of safety?

Complacency is a very dangerous thing.

Nobody on here has said spend a fortune and do the whole track - everyone knows how difficult this is, but if an obvious example occurs where simple changes would increase safety dramatically, then can someone please explain to me what is stopping that happening? Sure, taking your cue from an accident is not perfect, but it is better than not taking the cue at all.

Last edited by Club racer; 26 Nov 2012 at 06:33.